Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Espsychologist said:
Jim fails at funny again.
I keep watching, hoping that something funny will be said and yet every time I'm disappointed. I want to like this guy, I really do but I just don't. He may make some good points from time to time, but overall I'm just bored with this series.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Ace IV said:
Mike Laserbeam said:
I liked it.
I certainly find Jimquisition MUCH easier to stomach than a lot of the stuff on this site. (Not ZP, Movie Bob or Extra Credits though)
This. Extra Credits is so pretentious it hurts to watch.
Wow I'm glad that's only you with that opinion during my lurking. And that includes the post you quoted. He was saying that he can stomach Extra Credits, not that it was so pretentious it hurts to watch. Not to mention they're technically not acting like they're more important than they actually are...which is the meaning of pretentious. I take it they said something you disagreed with? Was it the time they took a clip from Fox News that put them in a bad light on the Escapist?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Nurb said:
I don't see how people hate him, he plays a "character" like colbert does... except for video games and more swearing
We get that. It's a bad character. It's derivative and not funny.

I consider this episode a disaster. Sterling must be the only person on the planet who thinks Duke Nukem is played straight and meant to be taken seriously. If he had ever played a Duke Nukem game, read any article, or just watched a fucking trailer, he would know different. Why didn't he learn something about this subject before writing this episode? Why does the escapist provide a platform for this junk?

Sterling's bad criticism of Duke Nukem is really just a bad criticism of satire in general. I don't mean to be cruel, but I wonder if he even understands what satire is.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Is it just me or Dante became more badass after he shed his seriousness?
But ofcourse there is nothing else that can be done to change duke now (he has already been changed drastically in terms of personality)

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Is it just me or Dante became more badass after he shed his seriousness?
But ofcourse there is nothing else that can be done to change duke now (he has already been changed drastically in terms of personality)

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
Duke himself is clearly an over-the-top satirical character. But that isn't the same as being used in a satirical way. Take Duke Nudem for example; they made a crappy flash game that lets you see naked women if you win. But they didn't mock it. There was no humour about how stupidly pseudo-macho that is. People were apparently expected to find that genuinely cool. Which it wasn't.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
I've been fair and given this series a chance, but no, it just sucks. I could forgive the appalling production value if Jim wasn't an annoying gobshite, but he is, so I'm going to point out it looks and sounds like it's recorded on a mobile phone. Jim is insulting, over-opinionated and vulgar like Yahtzee, but totally lacking Yahtzee's razor wit and word-smith talents. Sure I don't mind people having other options to me, but it has come to the point where I think the Escapist is trolling us with some of the stupid shit Jim dribbles out of his fat pie hole.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Ok show now if we only didn't have the narcissistic overweight British man who thinks he's just the buttered scones. I kid of course.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
nifedj said:
Duke himself is clearly an over-the-top satirical character. But that isn't the same as being used in a satirical way. Take Duke Nudem for example; they made a crappy flash game that lets you see naked women if you win. But they didn't mock it. There was no humour about how stupidly pseudo-macho that is. People were apparently expected to find that genuinely cool. Which it wasn't.
Duke Nukem hits the lowest common denominator so hard that I'm constantly wondering if I should be offended or not... and I find my indecision truly funny. If they winked at the audience, it simply wouldn't be funny any more. If they camped it up too much, it wouldn't be funny. But as long as it rides that white trash pro wrestling style for all its worth, I find myself oddly attracted to it.

And to see what happens when they do wink at the audience, check out Shadow Warrior. Which is funny in its own way, but didn't have the legs of Duke.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
Ok show now if we only didn't have the narcissistic overweight British man who thinks he's just the buttered scones. I kid of course.
Oh God, if he was American, this would be weaponized annoying.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
The Canadian author Douglas Coupland is quoted as saying, "It turns out that only twenty percent of human beings have a sense of irony ? which means that eighty percent of the world takes everything at face value." Based on some of the criticisms Jim continues to receive, I must agree that this is true. He tells us quite explicitly that he is being ironic and some people still don't get it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
Nurb said:
I don't see how people hate him, he plays a "character" like colbert does... except for video games and more swearing

I consider this episode a disaster. Sterling must be the only person on the planet who thinks Duke Nukem is played straight and meant to be taken seriously. If he had ever played a Duke Nukem game, read any article, or just watched a fucking trailer, he would know different. Why didn't he learn something about this subject before writing this episode? Why does the escapist provide a platform for this junk?

Sterling's bad criticism of Duke Nukem is really just a bad criticism of satire in general. I don't mean to be cruel, but I wonder if he even understands what satire is.
How exactly is it derivitave?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Nurb said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
Nurb said:

How exactly is it derivitave?
No, no. We're not going to argue over what is or isn't original, or about how everything is borrowed from somewhere. It's a waste of both our time. But in my opinion, its derivative.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Someone named Jim Sterling on iTunes likes Tonetta. Therefore, I like this Jim Sterling by association.