Jimquisition: Two Rules For Square Enix

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I think Yahtzee called it right in his review of Final Fantasy XIII. SquareEnix doesn't really want to make games anymore, they just want to make films.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I love FF games, but if it helps them release them, make the games shorter. FFX was a perfect length, but if that's just not possible nowadays, make the game shorter and it's fine. Most RPGs can tell a story in 20 hours, most other games can make a game in 10, most films 1 1/2. 60 hours isn't necessary and probably even suits some people better to have a shorter game

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Was...was that the final cutscene of FF XIII? Well crap, I was planning on actually finishing that game at some point.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Mangue Surfer said:
I have a simplest solution; stop being such a fuck fanboys.
the player behavior it's a fuel that keeps the publisher going
I think you'll find it's money that keeps a publisher going. Still, even the fanboys have got to be struggling to keep this one afloat by now. How can they fund Square-Enix's super shiny madness when there's no product?

As a fangirl myself, I will say only this. Grumble grumble grumble.

skotconcarne

May 4, 2011
Wouldn't they have to make another game to use the plural "games"? Last I checked they only made one game, they update the sprites and tack on another useless system then add 1 to the number. Get over it fanboys(and girls) you bought the same game 17+ times!

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
I always thought Enix was run by XIII year old boys. >_>

I mean I was in middle school when they announced Versus XIII....

Oh, and have to:

Enix really blew it with XIII. For those complaining about spoilers...uh....XIII doesn't really have any spoilers of merit. More like facts that build up. ' -' [/done the mean]

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
And once again, Jim Sterling takes five minutes to say something that much better game critics than him have made in ten seconds as little asides in their videos, and dresses it up with this insufferable Giant Ego Persona? that has ALSO been done much better elsewhere.

It's sad that The Escapist has become so desperate for pageviews that they're willing to bend over backwards to pander to the misogynistic retard demographic, which has been a negative influence on gaming culture since forever. Remember when this site was devoted to actual constructive discussion about gaming and gaming culture? Those days are long gone.

This might have been (somewhat) tolerable if he ever actually said anything that wasn't copy-pasted from other critics more witty and insightful than him, or if his schtick was actually funny.

It's people like Jim Sterling that are helping prevent gaming from being taken seriously as an art form.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
Was...was that the final cutscene of FF XIII? Well crap, I was planning on actually finishing that game at some point.
That was the first part of the trailer for FFXIII-2. Square's doing it wrong, methinks.

Seriously, why not just stick to the part with Lightning's new outfit instead of spoiling half of the entire fucking ending?

skotconcarne said:
Wouldn't they have to make another game to use the plural "games"? Last I checked they only made one game, they update the sprites and tack on another useless system then add 1 to the number. Get over it fanboys(and girls) you bought the same game 17+ times!
The same could be said of any series. The games are meant to have fundamentally similar gameplay in order to stay consistent with their predecessors. The same could be said of almost any game sequel.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
The video was simply boring. Not funny, not interesting, not productive.

Penix is, as always, interested in looking high-profile and making moneys. Since their games apparently suck these days, their best bet is still to announce neat-sounding crap and show vague cutscenes to appeal to the very same livejournal users who have those stupid names. Because nothing would hurt sales like actually showing gameplay.

Except for Deus Ex. That game is going to rule (and has little to nothing to do with the Japanese division of Wenix).

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Square Enix needs to go bust so the people with talent can reform and make a splinter company to get back to making great games again.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
Mangue Surfer said:
I have a simplest solution; stop being such a fuck fanboys.
the player behavior it's a fuel that keeps the publisher going
I think you'll find it's money that keeps a publisher going. Still, even the fanboys have got to be struggling to keep this one afloat by now. How can they fund Square-Enix's super shiny madness when there's no product?

As a fangirl myself, I will say only this. Grumble grumble grumble.
Is the Starcraft syndrome.
Work this way. They make an announcement, take 100 years to finish, them launch a half baked game with invisible all, floating corridors and all sorts of crap because, obvious, the game don?t take 100 years to make, it?s one year to make and 99 of hype. But anyway, the thing sold 5M in the first month!

Imagine a scenario that the hype doesn?t justify the purchase by itself. And the game sells nothing. Now they have to rethink their cycle of production.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
reddog247 said:
Yo Jim!
It's pronounced Square/E-nick's NOT Square/N-ick's and DEFINITLY not Sqeeeeenks!
No, that's just how Americans pronounce it. Like you say 'rEEEEsearch' instead of 'reh-search', or 'prEEEE-sentation' instead of 'preh-sentation'. We say 'Eh-nicks', you say 'EEEE-nicks'. It's just a difference of dialect. That doesn't automatically make your pronunciation the correct one.

Sabinfrost said:
I still feel like trolling you, I'm just not sure why anymore
I don't mean to pick on you in particular, but you've basically said what is the zeitgeist among many escapist users who feel they have such a sense of self-worth that if they perceive someone as talking down to them, they immediately jump on a high-horse about the whole 'thank God for me' thing and 'stop thinking you're better than you are', because ironically, they think they're the ones who are 'above everyone' and shouldn't be spoken down to. I think Jim has done a marvelous job of using his persona to directly offend those values. It's even worked in getting people to endear themselves to him. The thing is, once your values are forcibly eroded, you tend to see things in a different - and often more enlighted - light.

I have to definitely agree with this one. Although it's not just Squeenix that does this. All sorts of publishers make ridiculous amounts of announcements about things that shouldn't even really be announced, just for the publicity. Activision is especially guilty of this. I remember reading on the escapist news once, "Activision announces DLC map pack announcement" ...what? An announcement for an announcement? Enter appropriate Xzhibit meme.

Although i suppose it might not just be about generating hype for their company, it may be about maintaining a certain image. Squeenix have always been about maintaining this facade that they're some kind of auteur film directors. They try to be as cinematic as possible and create things that make you go "Woah, mind = blown". It's why they spent so much time and money creating what has been hailed as 'the best looking graphics on home console' for FFXIII, and why the only thing you see of Deus Ex Human Revolution for many months are images and screenshots of the protagonist that look like weeks or months had been spent on it that could've been instead spent on working on the damn game. It's all about company image. People expect Squeenix to be on the absolute cutting edge of technology, graphical fidelity and cinematography-in-gaming.

B-Lavaunit

Dec 4, 2009
Shirastro said:
Lol so many Jim hater here.
I think this episode was brilliant.
Agreed, although they have lessened in number recently.

I also enjoy watching the Jimquisition icon thing slowly move up the list on the right hand side as he gets more and more views, may have peaked now though, will be hard to topple unskippable and Zero punctuation\Extra Credits, forget it

PS Keep up the awesome work Jim, i look forward to each video

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
I think Jim is an official success. He has a large following of viewers, who either hate his guts or thinks he's brilliant. Sounds like a politician come to think of it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I just don't get this kind of furor about Final Fantasy.

Before anyone jumps on my back, I realize that the Final Fantasy games sell in the high multi-millions and must have a devoted fanbase. But it also seems like every year brings more people growling that FF plays increasingly like a game made by people who would much rather be making movies.

From my point of view, the works of some of S-E's subsidiaries like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the Tomb Raider reboot look far more interesting than another eight hours of cut-scenes and wondering which character is going to make the player want to stick an icepick in their ear this time. And even for those who really appreciate the series- and despite my comments, I don't fault anyone for this quality- I just can't see getting as incensed as Sterling seems to be about the way S-E handles its press releases, as if the PR department was going back to HQ and breaking programmers' fingers every time they went to a trade show.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
It's great that Jim fixes everything every week, I just don't understand why the world keeps fucking itself up so bad on the days in between D:

I mean, Jesus, why would you bring back world hunger and AIDS after he solved them like, 5 times?