Jimquisition: Watch Dogs - Five Collector's Editions For One Game? What? F*$%ing WHAT?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Watch Dogs - Five Collector's Editions For One Game? What? F*$%ing WHAT?

The game industry has officially shit itself.

Watch Video

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Screw this game, I was already on the fence about getting this game at best, but this is a cash grab that is the final straw and I have no hope for this game anymore. I hate the fact Ubi is the big dog in my city (being both the biggest game developer here and the location of the biggest Ubisoft office).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Even the PS4 has special content with a whole 1 hour mission. lol. Me, i will stick to the original version without all the bullshit on the 360. Special editions are fun for a loved franchise, but not for new ip. An one special edition is enough.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I take it mentioning Gamestop means that specific shops will give you specific benefits rather than all of the editions being available from a singular source. Are these five different editions just from different shops that you can buy?

Ugh, I remember Gears Judgment offering you the original Gears of War Hammerburst in multiplayer if you pre-ordered from GAME, and the same site offers you camos for Black Ops II and Ghosts if you pre-order Advanced Warfare there. I know that those are just smaller scale things, but it seems to be part of the same issue of distributing random benefits to x, y and z for no apparent reason.

Captcha: Eat your dinner. Oh I see, I need to conform to these editions.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Having more choices is actually inherently bad if it's too much. For a gaming example, Paper Mario: Sticker Star Shows how aggravating too many choices can be, sure you have a choice of 100 attacks by the end of the game but you aren't sure if to use jump sticker 10 or hammer sticker 43 because you don't remember if they're going to actually finish the enemy off.

This is also exactly the reason why I avoid most new AAA releases, it's such a mess and pain to sort out what's in the game and what's not, with all the piecemeal DLC and exclusive bonuses. The funny thing is that the bonus content is rarely something important, it's like deciding between a version of Super Mario Bros. were Mario can change colors or a version were the fireball effects can be changed, but the publisher forces you into this arbitrary choice and it's a mess.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Most definitely not gonna touch this game if it has so many things butchered, sectioned off and sold to different stores as if the game was cattle. I'm not an idiot; I know a raw deal when I see one.

RunicFox

Aug 9, 2010
Pretty ridiculous. I'll be honest, I'm pretty select when it comes to Collector's editions because I want something that I can point to my friends and say "That's how much I like something." -- Skyrim, Darksiders 2, Saints Row 4. I agree with you on the entire premise of these things needing to be a franchise.

Still, I think that most consumers with extra money also get excited about a title. I have plenty of friends, despite how well a game did, enjoying their statues or whatever. Usually these people are already collectors. Mind, they bought that huge statue for Titan Fall because of the statue, and not so much the game. Is that wrong?

I'd posit that it's not wrong, but of course there was just the one, as far as I know. 5, especially with gated content, is ridiculous. We see these patterns more often now in companies who simply copy the 'success' of something in order to emulate. To be a doppelganger. And that's about what they are.

I know a few folks at Ubisoft and other larger publishing houses, none of which who work on the game, but claim that it's about competitive market space. If you're being talked about, at least you're potentially making a sale. Not sure this is the right way to go about it, but I also don't believe in our antiquated 'marketing' system.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Thank God for not caring about Collectors Editions, Special Editions, or What-have-you Editions. Their impractically large boxes and kitschy statues are apparently the reason I should pay more money. Well, joke's on you, industry.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Ugh Jim, I must say one thing.

I would have to put this a lot more crudely than you have, and I've always appreciated you for your crude, to-the-point approach (even when I disagreed with you). So I suppose it's good that you said it, not me.

You hit the nail on the head with this one.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Somehow, this video feels appropriate for Ubisoft and other publishers pulling the collector's edition bullshit even before the game has come out...

When the next market crash of the games industry comes, I can only hope that the golden parachutes of these corporate douche-bags will be filled with either dirty laundry, silverware, or an anvil. -_-

thephill

Nov 24, 2010
Yeah. I got the special edition GTA 5, but i have owned every gta game since the first, even the ones that were on handheld like chinatown wars. Watch dogs is new IP, we don't know if its gonna be good, if it is maybe get the special edition of the sequel.Maybe. Also one version comes with the 'iconic' hat. Can a character's costume be iconic if no-ones played it yet and also it's just a regular hat? Really, it's just a baseball cap.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
I just bought it for $45. Instead of pre-order special editions, how about just offering discounts? Incidentally, I still think Microsoft store is offering this deal.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Y'know I was super excited about this game, but between this and charging like £50 for the DIGITAL version (when boxed versions are around £40) I really can't feel like I can support this.

Such a shame.

(I have no willpower I'll probably pick it up anyway)

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Anyone else find it hilarious how their is an ad for Watch_Dogs right next to Jim's videos?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
No one knows just how hyped I was for this game when I first saw it at the surprise reveal all those years back. Now? After all this bullshit and delays? I give up. Great job Ubisoft, you took something that was supposed to bring joy into people's lives and turned it into yet more reasons to just stick with cynicism and never try to be happy...

I'm depressed now, and not just because I've been in the hospital...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This isn't the first time we've seen the spreadhseet problem, and it won't be the last.

Zontar said:
Screw this game, I was already on the fence about getting this game at best, but this is a cash grab that is the final straw and I have no hope for this game anymore.
It's Ubisoft, this is what they do [http://www.usgamer.net/articles/watch-dogs-follows-the-proud-ubisoft-tradition-of-too-many-special-editions].

Evonisia said:
I take it mentioning Gamestop means that specific shops will give you specific benefits rather than all of the editions being available from a singular source. Are these five different editions just from different shops that you can buy?
Sadly, no. The editions in question are not shop exclusive except the two which are Ubisoft/uPlay exclusive. Gamestop additionally has a DLC pack. And Amazon has a DLC bonus. These are on top of any edition you might order, near as I can tell.

ex275w said:
Having more choices is actually inherently bad if it's too much. For a gaming example, Paper Mario: Sticker Star Shows how aggravating too many choices can be, sure you have a choice of 100 attacks by the end of the game but you aren't sure if to use jump sticker 10 or hammer sticker 43 because you don't remember if they're going to actually finish the enemy off.
It's true in retail, too. It can actually overwhelm and scare off customers.

Apr 5, 2008
It is a bit of a shame that no customer can get the game and all its content on release day. Knowing that Ubi are witholding content despite walking into a store and paying full price is such a turn off.

It's the same with Saints Row 4. I've wanted it since release but have held off on buying it due to the multitude of DLCs constantly coming out. I'm waiting for a complete edition where I pay once, get all and am done. This is a new, unproven IP and even excepting the bullshot scandal, the resolution misinformation and so on, this preorder multiple exclusive DLC stuff is really too far.

This game will be bought as and when there's an all-inclusive, complete edition, probably in a sale at some point after the reviews Ubisoft are suppressing until release day are in.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Ubisoft has finally gone nuts. Between five collector's editions for Watch_Dogs, continuing to treat potential customers with utter disrespect, outright lying about the graphical capabilities of the game and then acting like gamers who were mad about it are a bunch of spoiled, entitled fuckwits, cutting the Far Cry development cycle in half simply so they can milk it to death, still trying to justify the yearly release of Assassin's Creed, and worst of all, forcing PC gamers to use their broken piece of shit drm platform Uplay, and then refusing to fix that shattered piece of crap?

I'm no longer buying an Ubisoft product. I hope their entire business crashes and burns.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I agree with Jim's salient point. A fair amount of the stuff on the chart seems to consist of physical tchotchkes that of course could only come with physical boxed editions (stuff even the most ardent fan is more than likely to end up eventually tossing in the back of their closet), but the point remains that it's needlessly confusing and restrictive- and as Jim notes, more than likely just encouraging people to wait for the GOTY edition.

Even as I nod at the voice-over, though, I look at the Watch Dogs footage and go, "Ooh, that random NPC just threw her drink into the trash! Cool!" And "They plotted out enough of the ground-floor buildings that you can actually chase someone through one in a random encounter...?"

It's frustrating to feel that buying a game is a nod of approval to a crappy business model, rather than a show of support to aspects of a game that seem laudable.

I'm still where I've been for a while on WD; I'm waiting for reviews, but if they seem favorable enough, I'll buy it at the new price, probably on Steam.

I'm not shelling out for DLC whose length they have figured to the minute, though. That still seems incredibly crass and mercenary to me.