Jimquisition: Watch Dogs - Five Collector's Editions For One Game? What? F*$%ing WHAT?

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
It really is too much. I have still pre ordered dedsec edition. Because the game looks awesome, but it does feel.. Iffy.

We should have like, one with the digital stuff, and one that also has the physical things along with the digital stuff. Much easier, and it gives you what you want.

Also yes, don't call it collectors edition when we can't be a collector of Watch_Dogs.. There is only one! And it is not even out yet! Just call it special edition or whatever you fancy.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I wouldn't buy this game on launch unless my life literally depended on it. I said it before. I'll play it when the full version is released. There's no reason to get it as soon as it's out.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Hahaha oh my god, that spread sheet. Does this mean that illegally downloading the game is going to be the only way to get all of the content or will all of those extras eventually come as DLC?

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
It's abundantly clear that Ubisoft had already decided that this game was going to be a hit a year ago (why else would there be a giant picture of the game's protagonist on the back of my launch day PS4's box which was released SIX MONTHS before the game actually comes out), they're trying to manufacture the next big franchise for when the Assassin's Creed bubble inevitably bursts and they'd like to involve the consumer as little as possible. This game is little more to them but a product at this point, so of course they're gonna find the best way to wring as much extra coin out of it as possible.

Absolutely no part of this surprises me.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
I was considering buying this, after reviews came out, but when I saw they had a spreadsheet to guide you to the content provided in each different version, and on top of that NONE of the versions had all the content, I guess I felt insulted. I long for the days before pre-ordering. Gaming has gotten so annoying.

Screw this game. I'll pass.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Heh ... they offer us choice ... thank you great and powerfull overlords, but i would invoke the assassins creed black flag route ;) I'm sure the high seas will eventualy lead me to a complete version of the game that has every piece of content you retarded fuckwits cut out and portioned off to try and get extra money ...

Because of course they will sell every piece of content as DLC so you pay money for the collectors edition, then pay more money for the Season Pass, and you top it all off with extra cash to get all the other launch day content your version didn't have. It's ESO all over again ... this is starting to become a trend ... well at least my wallet sudenly became safe because ironicaly the game's industry doesn't want my money anymore ...

You know what the sad thing is? Dimwited fuckwits will buy the game the moment it arrives, hell preorders are probably out allready on steam and on other platforms ... fucking retarded people who can't tell the soap falling on the floor is just a decoy for the big publishers to take out their gold plated *redacted* and shove them up their *redacted*. I'm just waiting to see what the day one sells and preorder sells are so I can do some simple math and find out how many idiots are out there.

Aglaophotis666

Nov 19, 2009
I actually had a limited edition copy of this game preordered on Amazon but was on the fence about whether or not to go through with it for a lot of the reasons Jim stated. While I'm sure I'll enjoy the game, I'm not naive enough to believe it will live up to the hype it's been getting from Ubisoft and am not confident it will be good enough to warrant paying more than twice as much for a few physcial goodies.

I'd just like to thank you, Jim, for helping me make my decision. While I also like the idea of collector's editions (I will buy a CE of every souls game FromSoftware makes until the end of time!) I don't want to support the kind of ass backward business models this industry has become notorious for embracing. That principle alone was enough for me to switch to the standard version. Thank God for Jim!

Also, I have to say, I enjoyed this show a lot more when I first discovered it about a year ago. The reason is because I had SO many episodes that I needed to catch up on, I was able to sit down and watch it for hours. Now I have to wait a whole week for a single episode of what is easily the best, most informative gaming related show on the internet. So, Jim, if you could start making like 2 or 3 episodes of "The Jimquisition" a day, that'd be greeeaaat....

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
You know, I think these companies see the writing on the wall, and that's why they're resorting to harder and harder forms of exploitation, rather than trying to sweeten the deal at all and right the course.

Sounds crazy, but maybe we really are all careening towards a larger crash down the line, and what we're seeing are the suits going all-in for whatever cash grabs they can manage before it happens.

the antithesis said:
Because of this, I hope that no one buys Watch Dogs. Anywhere. Ever.
Hope all you want; I've watched the same exact dross set record sales 3 years in a row.
Fact is: This game will sell on hype alone, and if it turns out to be kinda mediocre, that's all the mass market needs to rationalize its purchase.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah... I hate it when there are too many pre-order bonuses and collectors editions, they only frustrate the consumer instead of pleasing them, because if you legitimately want to buy one, you can't get the "be all, end all" edition, you have to CHOOSE wich one you want to get, making convoluted charts an unnecessary necessity, as I said, it only alienates and frustrates the consumer.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
I've lost interest in any game that clearly has a marketing budget equal to the development budget.

4 months from now it'll be half off on Steam AND the reviews will all be in so we'll know whether it was a bomb or not.

8 months from now it'll finally have a "complete edition" which contains all the currently existing content for the game. And it'll also be half off.

It's not worth it to ever buy these games near launch. They are literally scamming you out of content.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
And out of all these options I choose to not buy this game, at least till it's deeply discounted.

This really is like the watershed, epitome, crowning achievement in too fucking much.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
Watch Dogs - gotta catch em all?
Seriously, the uplay platform is unnecessary as it offers nothing useful in addition to a game. Uplay points to unlock shitty wallpapers? Fuck off, this shit used to be for free!
You open a game on steam and it just opens uplay, which displays all your games but wont let you start anything else but the game you just clicked on in steam. How is that convenient?
Any game that comes with that shitty platform already is wearing cement shoes.
Add to that the hyped-up, dishonest "trailer", etc. and I just don't trust that game any more. I read in a game review magazine of my trust (Gamereactor) that there's a decent game there.
A shame, since I cannot trust Ubisofts dishonest business tactics, faulty service, and shitty DRM to actually letting me play the game I buy.
Wait. Just wait a couple of months until its clear that all the bugs are worked out and fixed, that the servers are stable, etc.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Yet even more reasons why Watch Dogs NEEDS fail. It now goes beyond being the physical manifestation of everything wrong with the gaming industry. We must come together and make sure AT ALL COSTS that this game fails. If it falls flat on its face, it will fall hard. Hard enough to give every company in the "AAA" industry a massive wake-up call.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Not that I have a lot of experience with pre-order bonus missions, but these usually seem like tacked on extra content for the sake of getting people to pre-order. This certainly seemed the case with Assassin's Creed 4. I don't think I ever played a game thinking 'Hmm, something's missing here...' only to find out later that there was extra content only available by pre-ordering that would've made the game experience feel more complete.
You can say that for a lot of content in these games that is part of the main game. You could cut it out and still not feel something was missing. Does that make it right to do so?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
To put things into perspective, imagine the new game of thrones book have it's chapter divided amongst different bookshop. Wanna read Tyrion's chapter? you gotta buy it from amazon but you wouldn't be getting Arya's chapter unless you buy from anotherbookstore.com

What these company does is essentially cut up and butcher a complete game into pieces to have more of your money, have some fucking self control and dignity people and stop buying these games!

Christ roberts released wing commander prophecy secret operations for FREE back in the 90's because he's grateful of how successful the previous game did. Mind you this is a totally free game, none of these free-to-play bullshit that charge you for a new gun.

I really hate, HATE! what the game industry has evolved into. Like little finger, I'm gonna fuck them all in my own way.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
It's UbiSoft, what did you expect? They have been at it for ages, with the past few Assassin's Creed editions and the newest Splinter Cell being prime examples.

The fact that they are doing it with an unestabilished IP just show how much they give about consumer satisfaction.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Zontar said:
Screw this game, I was already on the fence about getting this game at best, but this is a cash grab that is the final straw and I have no hope for this game anymore. I hate the fact Ubi is the big dog in my city (being both the biggest game developer here and the location of the biggest Ubisoft office).
I think it's kinda silly to ignore a game that could be very good just because the people who are publishing it are dipshits. Just don't give into the corporate nonsense. If you ear able to separate the two in your mind, you will be better off in the long run.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Much like Mass Effect I imagine we'll be seeing a cracked version of the game with every possible feature somewhere online within weeks of release. Which means that those people availing of that option, to "steal" instead of "purchase", are getting more bang for their buck.