Jimquisition: Watch_Dogs: A Vertical Slice Of Steaming Bullshots

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yes gameplay is more important graphics, but false advertising is still unacceptable. Also wouldn't they make more money off the game if they didn't waste it making these phony trailers? The AAA industry just baffles me these days.
If the internet hadn't exploded over the visual downgrade, they would have gotten away with pre-order money based on the trailer that was supposedly running on specs comparable to current-gen machines. Maybe they still will, since it seems so many people are ready to jump to the defense of the practice. It seems like there's a lot of money to be added by lying to people.
I would bet that some of these people would continue to defend these companies even if they quite literally shoved cast iron rods up their asses as long as they got to play the latest games that is.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
It's not false advertisement. False advertisement would mean that they hide the truth until the game launches, which is obviously not the case because they released a video that shows the not-as-good graphics of the actual game compared to the trailer. If this was a case of false advertisement, they wouldn't have released that video.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
another example of how video game publishers still have the mindset of selling toys to children
like how toy packaging have pictures photoshopped to hell trying to entice kids into getting their parents to buy an illusion of perfection
and the publishers are just going to get away with it like the toy companies because

"actual product color and shapes may vary"

just selling toys to children

thank god for jim and others for calling out bullshit practices like this

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i THOUGHT that new trailer looked significantly shittier. i'm still looking forward to playing the game, but it stood out EXTREMELY noticeably when i watched the most recent trailer.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Meh, I don't think I was going to get it one way or the other.
It's kind of crappy to think that the industry thinks so little of us.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
LordOfInsanity said:
Seriously, Microsoft & Sony and nearly all the AAA publishers kept pushing the "Greater graphics is best" crap for almost the entirety of the PS3/360 generation. The fact that they're getting backlash when they're called out on bullshit graphics should show people how failed their marketing and development philosophies have become.
Not that I disagree with the latter part of what you're saying, but your logic's rather flawed. If people didn't give a shit about graphics, they wouldn't complain about having graphics as worse than advertised. Kicking up a fuss about graphics shows that people do care about it.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Was thinking about buying it around release date... Maybe even pre-order...
But steam sale it is.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Jim, thank god for you. The recent controversy made me fairly disappointed, and you hit the nail right on the head about it. I'm not going to lie: while at first I was skeptical with the E3 2012 trailer, the E3 2013 trailer really put it on my map, especially with similarly sexy-looking competition(Forza 5), and one of the main reasons I wanted to get it was the gorgeous visuals. I wanted to build a high-end PC just to race and slink through the rain-soaked streets of Chicago in a big, sexy Chevy Camaro. The atmosphere of that trailer hit the spot: it was dark, intense, and it combined a bunch of my favorite things: automobiles, rainy nights, big cities, high tech, dense but open worlds, electronic music, and stealth, and it looked beautiful. Now I'm still probably going to get it, but I must admit I'm pretty disappointed to see the fidelity scaled back. Maybe the PC version will still have some good effects and such, I don't know. All I know is that the latest trailer doesn't quite look like the 'open-world Splinter Cell Conviction-type thing' that I've been wanting to get my hands on since last June. Didn't pre-order it, but I definitely don't want to now.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
ddrkreature said:
I'm going to take an opportunity to vent a smidgen:

"This is why PCs kick console ass. All those kiddies will never know what gaming is until they get on our level. They are the reason gaming is going down hill. Developers conform to the console-tards and make 'games' that look like this garbage. PC Master Race!!!"

That is literally all I'm hearing in some places and it's ticking me off. First, let me say that, I have a good gaming PC and a hefty steam library and I have seen and experienced the difference. Yes it's staggering but put this into comparison.

1: Consoles cost 250-500 dollars per generation, or 6-8 years. About the same as a mid-mid high graphic card (high you're looking at about $550+) that lasts half that time and gets outdated in less than that. Add in the price of a case, motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM, hard drive(s), monitor, OS, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

2: Set-up, drivers, software installation, back-ups...that takes hours of work. consoles are much simpler than that. Consoles are plug in, update, and go.

Graphical difference between E3 and trailer, sure, but E3 was/is probably PC footage. For a box that costs (at least) half the money and time of a PC and requires less add ons to get it to function the way it should, I can accept what I'm seeing. It does look good and still has a lot going on. As good? No, but not to the point of raging and calling it bad or canceling a pre-order. To the tone of dropping another ~$500 just to run it? Absolutely not. The PS4 is fine in my eyes. It's still a big step forward from the PS3.
I am not sure where you are getting your prices from, but you don't need a top of the line video card to be equal to a console and that is what $550 buys. I just build a small form factor PC for a friend that does a little gaming so they didn't want to go overboard, but I was able to build a lower-end system for $650 total. Now the video card was one of the more expensive parts at $160, but that is for a GeForce 750 Ti.

As far as drivers and patching your PC, I am not sure how that takes hours. Most of the time its Windows downloading the patches in the background and most drivers I rarely see updated aside from the video card and nVidia has an application that downloads them in the background at well. Backing up important documents can be important as well, but I think I spend maybe five minutes a week with that for its a nearly automated task on my USB key software.

The one thing that I will give consoles over a PC is the setup time, but I can't say if that will continue with this current generation with how patches are being released weekly. I can install Windows 7 in under a hour, but the patches can take hours. The trade-off is if there is something wrong with my PC I can fix it myself or take it to a local computer store, but with a console I have to mail it away and wait for it to return.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I don't think we should ever give a free pass to that kind of shady advertising strategy. I had it on preorder for my xbone, but I've cancelled it. I'm not going to get the PC version even if it does look more like the earlier trailer. There are lots of games out there and I'd rather hand my money over to the developers that are being up front, even if that means my xbone takes a little longer to get a good library of games together.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
As far as I remember E3 presentation was done on latest nvidia cards available at the time, it was pretty much obvious from the beginning the console version would be scaled down my question to ubisoft: are people with the right hardware going to be provided with a proper release, with all graphic options enabled.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Sanunes said:
ddrkreature said:
I'm going to take an opportunity to vent a smidgen:

"This is why PCs kick console ass. All those kiddies will never know what gaming is until they get on our level. They are the reason gaming is going down hill. Developers conform to the console-tards and make 'games' that look like this garbage. PC Master Race!!!"

That is literally all I'm hearing in some places and it's ticking me off. First, let me say that, I have a good gaming PC and a hefty steam library and I have seen and experienced the difference. Yes it's staggering but put this into comparison.

1: Consoles cost 250-500 dollars per generation, or 6-8 years. About the same as a mid-mid high graphic card (high you're looking at about $550+) that lasts half that time and gets outdated in less than that. Add in the price of a case, motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM, hard drive(s), monitor, OS, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

2: Set-up, drivers, software installation, back-ups...that takes hours of work. consoles are much simpler than that. Consoles are plug in, update, and go.

Graphical difference between E3 and trailer, sure, but E3 was/is probably PC footage. For a box that costs (at least) half the money and time of a PC and requires less add ons to get it to function the way it should, I can accept what I'm seeing. It does look good and still has a lot going on. As good? No, but not to the point of raging and calling it bad or canceling a pre-order. To the tone of dropping another ~$500 just to run it? Absolutely not. The PS4 is fine in my eyes. It's still a big step forward from the PS3.
I am not sure where you are getting your prices from, but you don't need a top of the line video card to be equal to a console and that is what $550 buys. I just build a small form factor PC for a friend that does a little gaming so they didn't want to go overboard, but I was able to build a lower-end system for $650 total. Now the video card was one of the more expensive parts at $160, but that is for a GeForce 750 Ti.

As far as drivers and patching your PC, I am not sure how that takes hours. Most of the time its Windows downloading the patches in the background and most drivers I rarely see updated aside from the video card and nVidia has an application that downloads them in the background at well. Backing up important documents can be important as well, but I think I spend maybe five minutes a week with that for its a nearly automated task on my USB key software.

The one thing that I will give consoles over a PC is the setup time, but I can't say if that will continue with this current generation with how patches are being released weekly. I can install Windows 7 in under a hour, but the patches can take hours. The trade-off is if there is something wrong with my PC I can fix it myself or take it to a local computer store, but with a console I have to mail it away and wait for it to return.
Yeah the whole "PC costs too much!" argument is kinda loosing steam as the price of decent parts drops, plus PC has some serious cost saving deals that the console doesn't have. You can get cheaper games on PC which most people know about but also something not as many people consider is the fact that you aren't paying a subscription fee for multiplayer on top of standard internet. With both the PS4 and XBox One needing a sub to play online now you can actually save a good amount of money playing online as long as you avoid the MMO's

That being said I'm glad that the E3 footage is at least possible on PC, I can't wait to fire up the Dual GTX 580's and put them to the test again.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I have been following the Watch Dogs graphical "Evolution" as its basically the only game i could actually say im "waiting for" to begin with. and the difference is staggering. I mean if you can see whats wrong with whats in the spoilers then i seriously suggest you see an eye doctor.

I guess once again we will have to wait for modders, working for free, to fix the game that developers have messed up.

MoonWhispers said:
Yea, I've worked on a number of titles that started out looking great, but as systems, gameplay, etc, were implemented they had to scale back graphics, put in roadblocks to slow streaming, whatever, to keep the framerate from falling into the toilet. So, I would have been more surprised if the graphics on Watch Dogs hadn't been scaled back on some level, and I suspect the need to alter things may have been part of why the game was delayed.

That said, the execs at Ubi don't want to admit the overreach, for whatever reason, and that's pretty damn lame. I think they were really hoping we wouldn't notice. But at least it came out like this now, well ahead of release, rather than us not finding out till the game shipped like Colonial Marines. That's a step in the right direction at least (albeit a small step).
Then you either work for extremely low end hardware (also known as consoles) or your games are memoryleaking as hell. Usually the developement is so slow that the machines on the market at start of developement are the ones having problems with framerate while at release date there is no problem there anymore.

If you have to scale graphics down thats either being limited by shitty hardware or being a poor developer.

ddrkreature said:

granted there are some really silly people out there, but the general point they are making is not wrong. YOU ARE WRONG however.
Your 500 dollar console is outperformed by a 250 dollar GPU (namely - the 750 ti). In fact, you can build a PC for 500 dollars that outperforms consoles. While yes it will be a low end PC, it still does better than consoles. Thats how bad this generation of consoles are. To reiterate, consoles are just very shitty and overpriced PCs, and their not evne making money back on that wow.

Oh, btw, i didnt knew consoles came with monitors and speakers if your adding price for that to PC. i guess you got some super console deals out there.

as for your second point, CONSOLES HAVE EXACT SAME THING. in fact, they dont even allow you to manually fix things if things go wrong.

And also consoles dont cost 500 dollars. they costs way way more. you have to pay for freking multiplayer. not to mention that your games are always more expensive.

Elem187

Mar 11, 2014
Sticky said:
It's safe to say in this market that any game that attempts to change ANYTHING, even the little logos that represent who is sponsoring it, is grounds for immediate concern from anyone who is interested in the game or is even the least bit invested in it's development. We're all being treated like miniature stockholders without any of the benefits at this point anyway, being expected to dump sixty dollars onto game preorders based on song and dance routines that may not even end up in the final game anyway (word to the wise: never preorder anything), but then having the gall to insist that what they distribute was the clear definition of the final product to begin with.
You can preorder, but only from companies you know never do bullshots.... Take Nintendo for example. The retail release always look miles better than the reveal trailers. SM3DW looked ALOT better at retail then it did at E3. DK Tropical Freeze looked a lot better at retail then revealed at E3.

Most publishers do bullshots because they know their audience very well. Just look at the comments section of EVERY multiplat game related article and its 99% filled with Microsoft and Sony fanboys arguing over which version of the game looks marginally better than the other. Publishers for games on Sony and Microsoft hardware know the audience puts graphics over gameplay, so what you end up with is the heavy use of bullshots.

Sony REALLY abused this back when the PS3 was about to launch. They told gamers that the system is capable of performing 1 teraflop. The highest real world performance after 8 years? 170 gigaflops. That's 17% of what was promised.... Then the use of CGI for Killzone 2 and Motostorm.

As long as Sony and Microsoft gamers continue to argue over graphics the more publishers will use marketing tricks to sell more games....... But I have to ask the Sony and Microsoft fanboys, if graphics were such a big deal, why would argue about marginal differences between the two formats and just bite the bullet and buy a computer to have a vastly better looking experience AND top notch frame rate (60fps instead of the 30fps ghetto of Sony/MS... heck even Nintendo aims for 60fps in most of their games)

Elem187

Mar 11, 2014
Twinmill5000 said:
I don't want to turn this into a PC > Console argument, but to expect the game, if it held up to graphical standards implied by the promo trailer, to run on anything less than 2 SLI'd Titans is... ludicrous. The game doesn't look bad, however, and hell, it looks like something my computer can run now.

I agree that the advertisement of the game was sleazy, but I do think that they had a superpowered machine running that demo, and they were projecting the graphics to match the tech specifications that would probably be standard by the time the game released. Unfortunately, at least on Nvidia platforms, Maxwell won't come out for at least another year, so that was a bad call.

I understand that this discussion should highlight the game's performance on consoles, which I still answer as ludicrous to expect the game to run on the hardware they offer, and that's also why I call it sleazy. You don't use a superpowered PC to show off a game you're using to push the console market, and you don't project the graphics to match what you think will be the standard on a PC when the game releases.

So it's sleazy, just, it's also misunderstood.
That's the thing it wasn't running on a super computer. That original demo was done with only a single 680 GTX. Of course the 680 is 3x the power of the PS4 and 4x the power of the xBone, but it's still a midrange GPU today

Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not going to go look for a whole slew of examples, but Mario 64? They promoted with stuff like this:

[youtube=Zw_o5H
And this:

[MEDIA=youtube]7iN-72Ag2XM[/MEDIA]
I don't see the bullshots in Mario 64. It's pretty close to what was released..... In both watch dogs and aliens colonial marines they showed dynamic lighting and delivering prebaked lighting and low res textures

Zeraphael

May 5, 2010
I could've sworn the live play I saw at PAX Prime '13 looked remarkably like the E3 trailer of yesteryear. I could be wrong though.

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
As much as we can moan about how bad it looks in comparison, the fact is that games companies (while they shouldn't) are just dicking their customers and the customers on the whole are taking it like champs.

The disgust on my face when teamspeak lit up with comments about getting Titanfall on launch, even after SimCity and Battlefield 4. Point is, people ***** and moan about how their game is. They don't think not to buy the game in the first place.
On the flip-side. ruining a game well into its launch is another matter. Forced DLC being a thing has to stop, that's not cool.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
I (sadly) pre-orderd the games based on the E3 trailer. After this, I will cancel me pre-order, more out of principle than anything. I still really want the game, but I will wait till the price drops. Trying to vote with my dollar. Hope the numbers add up enough to show them that this is unacceptable.

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
Antsh said:
Necromancer1991 said:
drizztmainsword said:
Considering that the story trailer footage is on the actual PS4 hardware and the E3 reveal from *two years ago* was stated to be running on a very high-end PC before anybody even knew the specs of the new generation of consoles, I have literally no problem with any graphical "downgrade."
That what I was assuming, it's a common trick for PR to show off the PC versions running on High-end machines with all the settings maxed out rather than the "locked at meh" console versions of the game. If I know a PC version of a game is imminent I tend to just attribute PR footage to that, which as a PC-Gamer tends to leave with a grin on my face cackling when controversy like this arises.
I don't own these consoles, so I'm not too worried about any of this. Sucks for those who were banking on graphical fidelity, though.

Guessing the PC version is going to have options for increased resolution, SSAA or MSAA, and the like.
Agreed. If the PC version on high settings starts looking downgraded as well, then's the time to worry.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
shteev said:
A lot of advertising is like this, isn't it? Magazines photoshop models to look inhumanly beautiful and pictures of Big Macs in McDonalds don't look much like Big Macs. What you buy, in any context, often looks very different from what the promotional material shows.

This topic is much larger than the gaming industry. Gamers accept this treatment because consumers generally accept this treatment. If there's a discussion to be had about truth in advertising it's probably worth broadening it's scope from gaming culture.
Reminds me of the Coca-Cola ads where people are splashing around soda absolutely everywhere at the beach having a grand old time, and all I can think is "they're going to be pretty damn sticky in no time".