Jimquisition: When The Starscreams Kill Used Games

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Great background music, I liked how it reminded me of The Binding of Isaac, considering the topic at hand.

Yeah, expecting the death of used games to mean anything except the death of small game stores is lunacy.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Nice analogy, Jim, of making out the publishers and developers blaming used games for their woes as the cowardly, backstabbing Starscream. Perhaps, one day, these Starscreams of the games industry will meet the same fate as their namesake did...

Thank God for Jim Sterling, the Galvatron of the gaming community!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
themilo504 said:
If used games where to die, I would probably stop buying console games, since I can simply get games far cheaper for the pc.
Exactly my thoughts. Alot of games are not worth the £40, so a lot of gamers will just not buy them. I really do think MS/Sony/EA whomever, feel that if there is no used game market we will just blindly buy full price regardless. When in fact, the most that will happen is the developers will lose tons of cash on all those unsold games.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Something people seem to be missing about used game sales is risk mitigation. Aside from colossal fuckups on the order of Colonial Marines, I can get a decent chunk of my money back if a game isn't what I wanted, or is really good but just lacks replay value.

This means I'm more willing to actually pay 60$, or even pre-order games that I'm not 100% sure are actually worth 60$. If there's no used game sales, then there's an extremely limited number of titles I'll be willing to buy for 60$, and even fewer I'll be willing to buy at launch.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Ultimately, what the Steam sales are competiting with, isn't even just GoG and self-publishing, but also... piracy.

Steam might have DRM, but it's nor unbreakable. All Steam games can be pirated, and Steam has to make up prices with the knowledge that they are depending on the benevolence of gamers who choose to pay.

Consoles don't have that. With their physical jailbreaking ending warranty and ruining online access, they have managed to kill piracy, so they can ask fr games whatever the hell they want.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This furthers my suspicion Jim's been stalking me. These are basically my arguments, except stated by a sexy Brit in a smashing hat.

I really do wonder why more people don't pay attention to the market that gaming companies have themselves created. Maybe people will now that Jim's said it, though.

nintendo414

Wakaman
Mar 16, 2010
I am currently unemployed but to me used games are currently the only way I can play new games if I can't sell my games I can't get new ones. I wish people understand that while games are luxury items they can be of great importance to some people and can bring peace to the mind when everything else seems to way my mind down.

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
I was at the mall yesterday decided to look into game stop to look around and all the used games I saw were more or less crap games ie shovel wear or movie tie in games and the like. That or old versions of COD and sport games.

I mention this because those games are very hard to sale and yet GS is nice enough to take them off our hands even at 10% of the full price.

I don't believe people should get profit from zero risk. I kinda want to play Metro Last Lite but not at 50 bucks, so as long as it's at 50 it will most likely not be bought by me even though it's a great game.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Dec 16, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
When The Starscreams Kill Used Games

The Xbox One will kill used games and control second-hand sales, and some people think that's great. Jim Sterling is not among them.

Watch Video
who ever they scramble to blame, the appologists will be right behind them nodding in support. I'm thinking it will probably be people who wait for sales/don't preorder for the next scape goat

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Huh, I did not know hat he profit margin when it came to video games and consoles was that slim for retailers.

@Jim, would a system which eliminated used games for consoles result in a short lifespan for games that weren't released digitally also? As in, if a game was released in this hypothetical situation would it be harder for me to get a copy of it years after release than it would a game not released under this system

Dec 16, 2009
Entitled said:
Ultimately, what the Steam sales are competiting with, isn't even just GoG and self-publishing, but also... piracy.

Steam might have DRM, but it's nor unbreakable. All Steam games can be pirated, and Steam has to make up prices with the knowledge that they are depending on the benevolence of gamers who choose to pay.

Consoles don't have that. With their physical jailbreaking ending warranty and ruining online access, they have managed to kill piracy, so they can ask fr games whatever the hell they want.
piracy is alive and well on the 360 and PS3. they stay offline and get the thing reflashed whenever a new firmware comes out, and dont give two f@cks about there warranty as they are getting games for the price of a blank disc. some even risk online and get away with it until theres a new wave of copyright protection

rayen020

May 20, 2009
the thing about used games to me is, I have never ever planned to buy a used game. People who rally against used games are always like "People buy used games because they don't want to pay $60 and can just wait two weeks." I am not going to say that isn't happening but i figure it's a much smaller problem than it's made out to be. I buy used games because i walk over to the new release section don't see anything that really interests me and then i find a game i was really interested in about three months ago only there aren't any new copies.

I don't know if this is true but i think game publishers only produce a certain number game copies. and then never make any more. I mean go on amazon, look up a new game for the PS2 or Gamecube, unless it's a small title that didn't do too well new copies can run up into the $200 range. That's because there aren't any more new copies to sell, used games are sold because they are the only things left. I know, for fact, Discovery is still printing and packaging copies of Planet Earth. I don't know if this a cost cutting measure by publishers, or a price control measure. Either way in the end Jim's right, the industry has put itself in the position it's in. They can only screw over the customers so many times before market correction takes place.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Good episode, but there is one mistake. There is a used game market for PC, it's not very big and the one in my local Cex consists mostly of Dawn of War, Sims 2 expansions and those point and click adventures my aunt would buy but you will find some recently released games there. So saying that Steam sales are because of no used game market is wrong.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
porous_shield said:
Origin, and EA itself, should use a turd as their logo. I don't think anyone would object.
Well, to be fair Origin has had sales on my region. I bought Mass Effect 3 at 16 dollars, so there's that. I guess there haven't been any sales in other regions/countries.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Used games, for me, are a way of getting some cash back after I purchase and have the credit count as discount to other games. Many others use it to try games out and see if they want to become invested in a franchise. Blocking the market will cause a massive shift towards the PC market or even just give up entirely. It's a shot in the groin for Microsoft and, if they actually try blocking used games, Sony

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Thank you Jim for opening my eyes. I was almost turned back to the xbox one after they "debunked" the whole used game fee mess and after talk with my brother over the weekend, determinded to wait until E3 to give them a chance. But thank you for reminding me about how big P****s microsoft are when it comes to wanting to dominate a market, they did it with browsers, they did it with operating systems, and now it games.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You know, I've seen many smart people like Yahtzee and MovieBob give GameStop a bad rep along with everyone else. The Jimquisition was slowly taking me out of that mindset. After this episode, though, I have to wonder why I or anyone else ever tried to shit on them in the first place. I'm going to shop at GameStop as much as I want now... Though I'd prefer there be a competing game store as well.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Nimzabaat said:
Title should have read "PS4 and Xbox One might possibly have killed used games and controlled second-hand sales (refuted by both companies but who really listens to Microsoft or Sony?) and some people are upset because they feel like being upset and don't want to wait for all the facts."

The most recent info is that MS has worked out a way that used game retailers can sell for whatever they want and everybody gets a cut. Sony has enabled the PS4 to block used content but is putting the onus on the publishers so a similar arrangement may be reached.

Oh and obviously MS requires the firstborn of every consumer because they're MS. Though seriously, the firstborn is like the trial kid where you make all your mistakes anyways.
And what publisher would want to block used games? I feel that the backlash of the blocking will completely outweigh any short-term profit gained by forcing people to buy new games. To turn people away from your product is a death sentence for a company.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Thank God for Jim!
First time I said that and I actually don't believe in such a being as God but whatever.
I guess you don't need to be an expert in economy to see where this trend is going.

Nov 24, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
The Xbox One will kill used games and control second-hand sales, and some people think that's great. Jim Sterling is not among them.

Watch Video
could you PLEASE be so KIND and MAKE A VIDEO about KINECT2- and the PATENT which gives microsoftand OTHER companies the techical equipment AND the software to INSTALL A FUCKING BIG BROTHER

i dont joke, oh i dont and i fucking hope this never will be but there is this patent where microsof
wants YOU to pay MORE if you watch movies with your friend or wife (or dog?) if you bought a movie alone and registere it on your account and other people want to watch-fuckididudidu, sorry mr. dog, you will have to pay us MOAR

and that the thing has
face recognition AND can identify whether you smile or you are angry,
in which direction your look,
It can monitor your heart-rate
it sees you.

this is fucking creepy.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

i cite

"A content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken. "
(from teh patent:
http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120278904%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904)

combine this with the knowledge from the wiredvideo:
http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2013/05/augmented-reality-microsoft-demos-new-kinect/
and to cite extremtech again.."http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156515-kinect-for-xbox-one-an-always-on-works-in-the-dark-camera-and-microphone-what-could-possibly-go-wrong"

"always-on, works-in-the-dark, microphone and camera that?s constantly connected to the internet and 300,000 servers. What could possibly go wrong?"

i want to ask

WHY SEEMINGLY FUCKING nobody cares? serious? drm is bad shit bro, no thing but this? this is fucking freakshow and i am so pissed of that my english-centrer in my brain malfunktiones but if i write german, nobody will understand me.

i dont get it
i dont get it why everybunny whines about the shit microsoft is making because its like tv and drm and bah..-

but THIS shit flews under the radar?

what.
the
fuck.

sorry sir.