Jimquisition: Who "Won" The Next-Gen Launch?

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
No one can decide which console has "won", as such statements are ridiculous unless you're judging by pure sales.

I'll wait a year and then pick a side, by then the dust will have settled and the hardware defects will be corrected.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
So was that a statement on the quality of the Ouya at the end...or just a 'licking consoles if effing gross' joke?

Also, every time I see Jim's icon, I keep expecting his head to detatch on the frill and fly about laughing.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
The wii U:

Allows online multiplayer (albeit implemented poorly with the lack of a good headset) FOR FREE.
Doesn't have mandatory game installs
Isn't putting graphics over aesthetics
Is backwards compatible
Has a spectrum of controllers for your handheld preference
Has a vast library of exclusive games and growing
Is trying to focus as a gaming machine and not a "centre of your living room magic miguffin"

and apparently is everything gamers hate.

I'm getting mine in January or when that dinosaur, robot, tank game comes out. That looks freaking awesome.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm just gonna keep being a PC gamer. It's hard not to take "PC gamer master race" slightly seriously when the PC is above and beyond all this next-gen competition crap.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Why can't we be serious about the winner of this "current generation"?:

P to the mother-fing C (PC) !!!!

Seriously, it's the only gaming 'console' that has complete backwards compatibility from not just the last gen, but the previous two generations as well. And besides, it's got tone of free games (F2P, Facebook, Pogo, etc.) as well as very popular titles. The Witcher spawned on PC; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a gem; World of Warcraft anyone [okay, any geek?]; Guild Wars 2 is still very popular; Civ5, Diablo III, and practically every RTS starts on PC before a console version is ever considered.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Big_Isaac said:
Does anyone else think handhelds are being unfairly excluded from this console war shenanigans?
'cause I'm pretty sure the 3DS has the best library out of the current gen systems right now.
Because they're 'console wars' and handhelds are considered, well, handhelds.

Dragonbums said:
Third, I'm quite surprised by your choice.
Estelindis said:
...Did not see *that* coming.
Are we new to the Jimquisition?

Jimothy's stance should be no surprise, as he's praised it previously and even gone so far as to defend the tablet controller to the point of borderline apologetics. And as much as I'd sort of like to argue his points....

The Wii U is the only console right now I'd consider getting. Again, right now.

I really want some of the new games.

And in the end, I think that makes his point an important one. I've found myself with no fucks to give about MicroSony's lineup, but...I want to play as Cat Mario (or Cat Luigi, Cat Peach), dammit!

SonOfVoorhees said:
This whole "who won" thing is just childish.
In a world where LARPERS riot over sports teams, this is just par for the course.

ars731 said:
You know Jim, you shouldn't lick strange consoles, you dont know where they been or how much lead they have in the paint
I'm sure he washed it thoroughly first.

Normally, you wouldn't do that with a console, as it might ruin it. The Ouya, however, is an Ouya.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
When is that game that I only know as "X" at the moment coming out? The one with the transforming robots and the sprawling landscape and the monster hunteresque vibe? With giant transforming robots? That's when I plan to pick up a WiiU.

The other two consoles? I have no plans to pick either up yet. None whatsoever.

[sub]Until PS4 gets an iDOLM@STER3 announcement.[/sub]

I have far too many excellent games on my PC/Vita/3DS to go through and no console is going to sell me on its vast range of shooters and sports games no matter how brown or colorful they are.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:
No one can decide which console has "won", as such statements are ridiculous unless you're judging by pure sales.

I'll wait a year and then pick a side, by then the dust will have settled and the hardware defects will be corrected.
because all hardware failures are corrected in a year ;P

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
VanQ said:
When is that game that I only know as "X" at the moment coming out? The one with the transforming robots and the sprawling landscape and the monster hunteresque vibe? With giant transforming robots? That's when I plan to pick up a WiiU. The other two consoles? I have no plans to pick either up yet. None whatsoever.
[sub]Until PS4 gets an iDOLM@STER3 announcement.[/sub]
I heard it was slated to be released next year. Of course that is the name of the game. "X" that's it. Short and simple, and dangit I really want that game in my hands right now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Little Duck said:
The wii U:

Allows online multiplayer (albeit implemented poorly with the lack of a good headset) FOR FREE.
Doesn't have mandatory game installs
Isn't putting graphics over aesthetics
Is backwards compatible
Has a spectrum of controllers for your handheld preference
Has a vast library of exclusive games and growing
Is trying to focus as a gaming machine and not a "centre of your living room magic miguffin"

and apparently is everything gamers hate.

I'm getting mine in January or when that dinosaur, robot, tank game comes out. That looks freaking awesome.
I really wonder if the PC can be considered the winner of anything, while PC gamers spend so much time begging for console table scraps and complaining their games are ruined by filthy console scrubs. Not to mention praising the PC for becoming more consolised.....

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Jim, you really need to stop licking things. It is not sanitary.

If not, lick a lot of your things and send them to me. I shall create a small shrine to your honor in my basement.

OT: Personally I won't buy a console for another year or so. By then I know which console has the games I want and which one works best for me. But so far it looks like I will buy the Wii U. At first at least, I usually end up getting them all.

Gotta love that dispensable income, ey?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Big_Isaac said:
Does anyone else think handhelds are being unfairly excluded from this console war shenanigans?
'cause I'm pretty sure the 3DS has the best library out of the current gen systems right now.
Because they're 'console wars' and handhelds are considered, well, handhelds.
And that's too bad really. They have a lot of wonderful games on them and many gamers overlook them entirely because "muh graphicks" and the word handheld. Not that I'm disappointed they're spared from the stupid console wars.

Dragonbums said:
Third, I'm quite surprised by your choice.
Estelindis said:
...Did not see *that* coming.
Are we new to the Jimquisition?

Jimothy's stance should be no surprise, as he's praised it previously and even gone so far as to defend the tablet controller to the point of borderline apologetics. And as much as I'd sort of like to argue his points....

The Wii U is the only console right now I'd consider getting. Again, right now.

I really want some of the new games.

And in the end, I think that makes his point an important one. I've found myself with no fucks to give about MicroSony's lineup, but...I want to play as Cat Mario (or Cat Luigi, Cat Peach), dammit!
Can you play as Peach? I have a bad feeling what Peach's cat outfit might look like...

ars731 said:
You know Jim, you shouldn't lick strange consoles, you dont know where they been or how much lead they have in the paint
I'm sure he washed it thoroughly first.

Normally, you wouldn't do that with a console, as it might ruin it. The Ouya, however, is an Ouya.
He's right though. Jim should have known better than to lick an Ouya, ever. No matter how much he sanitized it beforehand.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
War. War never changes.

(Sorry!)

They all look rather interesting in their own way. Not interesting enough to buy, but I do understand why people are excited. But there isn't really any substantial change on the horizon, at least not one I can see at the moment.

Because war... War never changes.

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
Totes calling the ending to the console war on the current South Park Game of Thrones Arc...
WiiU.
Kenny will totes become a real Princess... and be the only kid to get a "next gen" console...
And it'll be a WiiU.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The Wii-U seems stuck in a death-spiral-from-hell. When there are more good third-party games for it, it will get a larger share of consumers; when there are more consumers, it will be a more attractive platform for third-party developers.

I feel like I'm waiting for a magic bullet. Some out-of-the-blue killer app, some marvelous, previously un-thought-of new feature, some new springboard genre for which the Wii-U, and only the Wii-U, is the obvious platform. Something that will make people look at Nintendo's latest console in a whole new light and flock to in in droves.

Until then, it's hard not to worry that picking up a Wii-U is a little like picking up a Dreamcast- a good console with a lousy market life expectancy.

Maybe Christmas will change things. We shall see.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
I'm having trouble understanding this one. He says he's not excited for the PS4/X1 due to their launches being continuations of old franchises and last gen trends as if the WiiU isn't doing any of that shit.

And honestly, how is it that the WiiU can have a year long launch but the PS4 and X1 get exactly one week( or 4 days in the X1's case)to be compared with the last 11 months of WiiU releases.

It's ridiculous.

Most of the WiiU's "good" games arrived within the last month or so and we're going to pretend like the Deep Downs, Second Sons, and Titanfalls don't fall within that same year or 11 month launch like the WiiU and it's latest Mario, it's latest Donkey Kong, and it's latest Smash Bros.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Have to say I have to disagree with you on the WiiU Jim, it was by far the most anti-consumer console I've ever had the misfortune of setting up. The idea of tag-teaming a shit wi-fi receiver (with less than a few foot range) and a slot on the back to plug in a "Nintendo Brand Ethernet Adapter" (sold seperatly for maximum cash-grabbing) is fucking evil.

The software setup/configuration took way too long, and at the end of it I was told the WiiU marketplace was not available in my country (the country I legally bought the bastarding thing in) and was therefore not allowed to download my bundled copy of the Wind Waker HD until it occurred to me to switch country in the settings menu.

The only reason I'm keeping the thing around is for Platinum Games newest releases. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've gotten more play out of my Ouya.

Korihor

Free Thinker
Dec 9, 2010
I for the most part am a pc gamer.
Pcs are superior in graphics, price, and space saving.
However, there is one area pcs have not matched and that is innovation.
I own a Wii U for both the exclusive games and the sheer fun of the hardware.
That tablet controller is fun to play with.
I also like to play occasionally the motion controls.

I also like the fact that Nintendo does not care what other publishers are doing.
Instead Nintendo does what is best for them.