Jimquisition: Who "Won" The Next-Gen Launch?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I wouldn't really recommend a wii-u as a christmas gift, I would recommend a 2ds with pokemon X/Y since it's cheap, comfortable and you don't need that stupid 3d anyway.
If any curent gen console has "won" anything so far, it's nintendos handhelds.
They've already built a great library so you don't buy the cat in the bag and are old enough for some significant price drops.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Come on, Jim, not mentioning the PC at this point is a sin. Now it's the best time to join the glorious PC gaming master race! With the new Intel Haswell processors, the new AMD video cards, its all better than ever. The launch titles are countless as are exclusives, the backwards compatibility extends to more than 30 years back and Emulation up to the 6th generation of consoles makes sure you can even play most of those games too. Tank the FSM for you, Jim, but for the glory of PC we must thank our Lord and Savior GabeN. Praise be!

Caostotale

Mar 15, 2010
The fact that 'console wars' have become such a thing makes me wonder where peoples' priorities have gone. Are a number of us degenerating into unpaid capitalist hype-men, so lonely and lost that we need to shill for some company to achieve artificial fixes of rightness and belonging? Jim is absolutely right to give Nintendo a pat on the head for at marketing a system that can, at least, appeal to children, teens, and overgrown teens alike.

To the point that their game library swings back around to the same old Zelda, Metroid, DK, Mario titles etc... has never bothered me much, as I'd rather treat my not-yet-dead inner child to things that make me happy and curious (and that are often handled well as games) than cater to the stupid, angst-y inner teenager who demands a constant onslaught of dreary, repressed, and edgy 'mature content' that dominates the Microsoft and Sony game libraries. Those games remind me of the TV series that my peers watch (Dexter, Game of Thrones, Weeds, American Horror Story, Walking Dead...), superficially cutting-edge and 'adult' in their subject matter and execution, yet ultimately as forgettable and disposable as any crappy teen book series. I'm aware that some games and shows (likely indie titles) truly hit the maturity nail on the head, but the majority of material that bulks out those markets is pandering junk. I'll stick with Nintendo and their shameless interest in crafting games as opposed to 'experiences.'

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
It blows my mind that you would double down on how "great" Zombi U is. That game is terrible, and it's not because I don't understand what a survival-horror game is (straw man). Hell, Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games, and I love stuff like Fatal Frame, Clock Tower, Dino Crisis, etc. Zombi U's gameplay was brutally repetitious, shallow, and the presentation was horrible. All you do is run around and bash the same enemies with a cricket bat over and over and OVER and OVER again. And how about those 30+ second loading screens sprinkled in ever so frequently in, and the constant beeping of the radar on your controller. It's a horrible game I was sorely disappointed with.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Estelindis said:
...Did not see *that* coming.
Are we new to the Jimquisition?

Jimothy's stance should be no surprise, as he's praised it previously and even gone so far as to defend the tablet controller to the point of borderline apologetics.
No, I've watched it from the start. I clearly just don't pay enough attention to certain points! :D

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
But super mario is sexist!

And seriously nintendo had nothing to do with any console war since the gamecube. No one even takes the Wii serious as a gaming console because it only had shovelware besides the usual nintendo households WICH ARE ALL SEXIST! DONT FORGET!

The Wiis library was stuffed with so much trash and no real 3rd party exclusives kept for some JRPGs and Monster hunter. And people had to fight to get these JRPGs released outside of japan!

And the same will repeat with the Wii U, no one is going to develope tripple A games outside of the usual suspects from japan for it, and even then its just JRPGs. All that will come out from the western market are rehashed ps3/360/PC games from last gen and tons and tons of cheap ass shovelware.

Meanwhile sony and microsoft will still duke it out while nintendo scrounges by on their sexist household stable and smash brothers, and ofcourse glory long past.

And whatever bone capcom will throw into their direction i guess.

Fact is if you want good game libraries and dont have a stiffy for Link, Mario or Samus then youre better off with the competition.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I loved the video, and nice point by the way. It's weird that I almost forgot about the WiiU during the back and forth between MS and Sony. You totally blew me away when you brought out the OUYA, because I totally forgot that thing ever existed.

I don't care about the new consoles though. PC gaming is way better.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Cannot agree with this episode at all. The Wii U *is* just an incremental upgrade to the Wii, and that's why Nintendo has been utterly unable to sell the console, because consumers think it's an add-on to the Wii.

Nintendo did not have a good launch - the system update was bricking systems when you lost internet connection...did we all forget that whole thing?

Nintendo has utterly squandered their one year head start - they have done little except trot out a few ports and rehashes that provide little or no reason to actually get the system. What little third party support the system has is fleeing as fast as it can. There's no RPGs on the platform still, and that will be why I continue not to purchase one.

Their online multiplayer infrastructure is beyond mediocre, and Nintendo STILL does not have a digital distribution system that is competent in any way shape or form. It continues to be amateur hour with no account system for digital purchases. In the 21st Century! My god!

Nintendo is doubling down (again) on hopes that their first party games will be enough. It wasn't enough for the Gamecube, and with no never-seen-before revolutionary motion control gimmicks to attract non-gamers into purchasing the system it won't be enough this time.

It may not be clear who won, but it is very clear the Wii U is losing.

Michael Brockbanks

Apr 2, 2011
I'd personally argue that the winner of this generation is Microsoft.

Not because of the Xbox One (I'm not a complete imbecile), but because of the number of people, including myself, choosing to forego this generation of consoles an join the PC brigade.

Given that this is supposed to be a new generation, the Wii-U is technological back-step. The Xbone and PS4 are both steps forward, but they're clumsy, blinkered steps liable to land each company flat on their faces.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Jims licking the hard ware again, someone get the bucket...

OT: Whats that news media, Playbox 140 or something you say? Sorry, i'm to busy having fun with my 3DS!

JUST LOOK AT IT! THATS FINE ART, THAT IS!!!

Anyway, we know the battle won't be decided until Brack a'friday!

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Adam Locking said:
Have to say I have to disagree with you on the WiiU Jim, it was by far the most anti-consumer console I've ever had the misfortune of setting up. The idea of tag-teaming a shit wi-fi receiver (with less than a few foot range) and a slot on the back to plug in a "Nintendo Brand Ethernet Adapter" (sold seperatly for maximum cash-grabbing) is fucking evil.

The software setup/configuration took way too long, and at the end of it I was told the WiiU marketplace was not available in my country (the country I legally bought the bastarding thing in) and was therefore not allowed to download my bundled copy of the Wind Waker HD until it occurred to me to switch country in the settings menu.

The only reason I'm keeping the thing around is for Platinum Games newest releases. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've gotten more play out of my Ouya.
That, has not been my experience. My Netgear Wi-Fi router reaches it fine despite being in a different room entirely, and while the software update takes a while, that seems to be the case with all the major consoles right now.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
...wait, WiiU won in your opinion? So PS4 and XBone have franchises and almost no original content...I'm sorry, but WHAT THE HELL are you talking about, Nintendo just re-releases same freaking platformers with slightly improved graphics and slightly different gameplay EVERY TIME, for over 20 years!
I'll take it that some other things said in the video might just be a matter of opinion, but this is just a silly statement to make.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
I don't understand why console "wars" are still a thing. It's just stupid. All consoles have their strong points, and all of them have their weak ones. I personally buy products from all 3 major companies. I have the Xbox 360/One, a PS Vita and am looking into eventually owning a PS4 as well, and I have an assortment of Nintendo handhelds, with a Wii in my current household that I purchase games for occasionally. Everyone should stop arguing about it and just enjoy whichever console of choice they went with. Yet, with some people, it's like arguing over the consoles is more fun than playing them with how often they do it.

Also, to people who like to just randomly pop into these conversations to simply say something like "PC gaming master race", shut the fuck up. To anyone on here who simply mentioned that they play PC gaming and are merely making it clear that they don't pay too much attention to consoles, this is not directed towards you. To the ones who do say stuff like that:

1. It makes you sound like a pretentious douche.
2. This is about consoles, not PC's, and most people already know about the PC having a lot of strong points over consoles, however,
3. If you're like me, there's one thing that makes consoles superior. The ability to buy the console, and it will just be there for the next few years. I don't have to replace drivers or update software manually. I love having a PC that says I can run a game, but then can't without an update that I can't get to work. I'd also run the risk of breaking my computer if I tried to mess with anything like graphics cards or anything, since me and computers don't get along.

Seriously, everyone needs to just shut up and play their games and have fun. Doesn't matter on what console you are enjoying them, just do it.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Estelindis said:
...Did not see *that* coming. Entertaining video, though I'm in no position to make the kind of evaluation that you did, Jim. I regard these console wars from the PC-gaming sidelines. :)
*Not directed at Estelindis in anyway*

I'm an avid fan/practitioner of PC gaming, but where does this sense of superiority of PC gaming come from? It seems anytime consoles comes up the mention of using PC is thrown in. As if any accomplishment of said systems is dwarfed by a PC's mere existence. With a PC I have to upgrade my system if it fails to meet the requirement of a game. New graphics card, new power supply, more RAM. Don't forget a new monitor, a better cooling system too. Consoles? Nope. And for what do all the additions grant me? Better resolution and fps. Anyone else see the irony? The snicking of PS4 vs Xbox One resolution fight being called childish, but they're playing the same game. The main difference is they're way ahead in the race. Honestly the few things I enjoyed about consoles was that they weren't PCs. No need for the updates and drivers, but I don't mind the game patches. Of course I rather play a FPS with keyboard and mouse. Now the new gen seems to continue the march toward specialized gaming computers made easy. Alienware must be shaking in their overpriced boots. You know in the end it's like those guys that have customized street cars and the people that just buy from a dealership. A sense in pride of something you built yourself and show off to your friends (and I get enough of my friends rants on PCs). Then there are those that simply wanted something from point A to point B. I can change the oil, sparkplugs, and clean the radiator. I don't need to add to the muffler, get a spoiler, or tint the windows. Alright /rant. Sorry about that just something that's been building up for abit there.

EDIT: Psycho11Edge said it while I was typing :p

OT: I agree with Jim's assessment, but I think Wii U falls under that umbrella as well. Yes, what both Xbox One and PS4 have shown us thus far seems like a continuation of the previous gen. Wii U's lackluster results can be attributed to the same problem. Like many I thought the Wii U was just an add on to the Wii system. I was wrong, but it didn't make the new unit anymore appealing. After trying it, I'm not too much more interested in purchasing it. The features are pretty cool, and yes it feels easy to handle. BUT (a big but at that) I still not interested in the games other than Bayonetta 2. I had already pre-ordered the Batman Arkham City before Armored edition, never been a big Zelda fan (except the top down handhelds), and got Mass Effect 3 on PC. Just nothing appealed to me otherwise. Not saying it's a bad system. There are decent things in the line up. Exclusives? Meh. Zombie U was fun for a few minutes, but Dead Rising 3 looks more interesting. As for Mario U, I really can't say anything bad, nor good. The best thing about friends with different consoles is I get to test drive the systems before buying. There's still time to win me over, till then I'll just wait and watch. PS4 is the current favorite, but that can change.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Little Duck said:
The wii U:

Allows online multiplayer (albeit implemented poorly with the lack of a good headset) FOR FREE.
Doesn't have mandatory game installs
Isn't putting graphics over aesthetics
Is backwards compatible
Has a spectrum of controllers for your handheld preference
Has a vast library of exclusive games and growing
Is trying to focus as a gaming machine and not a "centre of your living room magic miguffin"

and apparently is everything gamers hate.

I'm getting mine in January or when that dinosaur, robot, tank game comes out. That looks freaking awesome.
Isn't that ironic all the stuff I hear gamers want to have is available next gen and scorned at the same time because god forbid anyone actually admit that the WiiU and nintendo are doing something right. We will instead support companies doing the opposite of nearly all those practice and praise them as the true console gaming experience.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I think its unfair to pick the wii u as launch winner. Saying that it wins because you would recommend it this holiday, a year in its cycle, rather than the ones out only for days is an invalid comparison. The wii had a terrible launch, it took almost a year to have anything to play. And even now there is NOTHING I want to play on it.

And also ALL nintendos titles, except zombie u, are continuations on old series. So why do you keep criticizing sony and microsoft for launcing with sequels?

I also find nothing new and exciting about the u or xbo or ps4. The u may be more original but its features have no appeal to me.

Steven Macias

Apr 2, 2011
I love the WiiU smash 4 and X have me giddy with excitement, mario 3d world is fun if nothing else It's a game I can play with my sister and she don't give two fucks about games. sega and platinum are doing work for the ************ we even got a new Ip in Wonderful 101 (which is Insane!), yeah I dig the WiiU.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Ha! I knew Jim would make it the Wii U the moment he said "PS4 or Xbox One". Fortunes. I tell them.
Decent points there and I feel that all in all, if you compare them right now - the Wii U has the "best" games library out there at the moment. Yup, it's been out longer, but that doesn't matter as if you're asking what's got the best games out there at the moment you'd have to give it to the Wii U.

Also, Jim seems to be looking a fair bit leaner in the last few episodes? Suits him.