Jimquisition: Why Boycotts Fail Where Whining Tantrums Win

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Devil May Cry. That is all.

Also, this video may impower people to ***** more about things that are inconsequencail. Like the color scheme thing in Diablo 3 earlier in the video.

Deadagent

Sep 14, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
Has there ever been a VG boycott that worked, like, ever? I still go back to the old L4D2 threads just to have a laugh at the "boycotters" who have L4D2 on their steam profiles.
The L4D2 boycott worked in my opinion, the worry was that Valve would focus their time and effort on L4D2 instead of supporting L4D(1). And they heard that message, or did you forget about The Sacrifice?

There were people who basically didn't let go of the boycott even when valve said they would keep supporting L4D, I was one of therm because I didnt belive them, but they put their money where their mouth is. The rest who are still boycotting are just stubborn, but it dosent change the fact that it did do something even if very little.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
Devil May Cry. That is all.

Also, this video may impower people to ***** more about things that are inconsequencail. Like the color scheme thing in Diablo 3 earlier in the video.
As I said in the vid, I'll always reserve the right to call them whining pricks when they're doing just that.

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
Good vid Jim, and while I agree to an extent, there is a large detail missing.

WHERE you ***** can make all the difference. If someone decides to make a whine thread on the Escapist or Gamefaqs for example, it's going to go unnoticed by publishers, irritate fans, and just come across as attention seeking or flamebait.

Take that shit to official websites for the game/dev/publisher where it belongs if you want results, and most importantly be somewhat civil and explain yourself.
Otherwise it'll get dismissed as "Haters gonna hate"

Other than that, good show. I actually look forward to mondays now because of Jimquisition.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
FelixG said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Great episode Jim! One of your best yet, Bravo sir, bravo!

I sincerely agree.

Bitching and whining is so annoying that it's one of the most effective way to (peacefully) get what you want. But please try to occasionally not just whine "this is bad.." try whining "this is bad so do this....", it works even better for me at least..

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I do think that a boycott of a publisher doesn't work but boycott certain games does. To use the Activision example people don't like COD cause it is the same game every year and it has overpriced DLC and subscription services that only offer stuff that Bungie did with Halo free for years, ok so boycott COD but when they do something like Prototype or War for Cybertron then do buy the game because that sends the message of what we want and what we don't.

As soon as you say I am going to boycott a certain publisher because they have done something you don't like regardless of whether a particular game does that or not then you stop being a customer and therefore the publisher couldn't care less what you think.

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!

Also, thank gourd for Jim. I don't thank enough gourds for Jim so I'm just taking this moment to do so.

PS. I'm not much of a whiner so I just hope those that are take notice of this and do the right thing.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Huh. Well alright then. Quite often Jim's videos make me nod my head and say "hmm yes, very good point." Then there are videos, like this one, that make me say "Holy shit I never thought of that before. That's TRUTH!"

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Scrustle said:
I think often the "boycotts" are just whining. Like Jim said in his episode on boycotting, it's usually a completely empty threat made by whiny little bitches. They say they're going to do it but they never do. If people actually stuck to boycotts then maybe they would hold more power, but they don't. Although I agree that even if boycotts did do what they were supposed to publishers would probably react how Jim says.

I'm not really convinced that publishers care about whining either. It can easily be ignored. A few have said that they have listened, but have they really? And does listening really equate to change? I think publishers are smart enough to realise that even though many people may ***** about something that keeps happening over and over again, people keep buying their stuff over and over again. Capcom saying that they're rethinking their DLC plans is an exception to the rule. Every other trend that gets people pissed is still continuing, even growing. And even if Capcom do decide to make a change, how do we know it'll be for the better? They might just replace their current system with something just as offensive. Take a look at how they have "honoured" Mega Man's 25th anniversary when people have been complaining how the franchise hasn't been given the attention it deserves.

Basically, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. In the words of Serj Tankian, the bottom line is money and nobody gives a fuck.
I'm with you on this. I really think the ME3 debacle did, at most, force them to move the ending DLC up in terms of when it would've been rolled out, but most likely it just made the whole thing much more public. If you really think Bioware went back and recorded all those extra lines (which Jennifer Hale said she hadn't in an interview), had all those extra parts, AND had three full-on, choice-driven ending extensions (sure, they were just still images, but with the sheer number of ways it can play out, that's plenty), you're out of your mind OR you think Bioware has one of the greatest work outputs of any company ever to exist.

I'm not saying people shouldn't complain when they feel slighted, it's just when it reaches this frothing, unearned, borderline-psychosis of "SCREW THEM! SCREW EVERYONE WHO LOOKS LIKE THEM! SCREW EVERYTHING THEY'LL EVER DO EVER AGAIN BECAUSE CORPORATE EMO TWILIGHT!!!!!!!11"

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
EA's the only publisher that's driven me to boycott, but that's mostly because every time I've bought anything from them, I've felt ripped off. It's a personal boycott, but I feel a lot better with myself from doing so. It saved me from ME3; best (lack of) purchasing decision I ever made, as sad as I am about what it became.

I've certainly done my share of complaining though. A well thought out and polite email directly to the publisher might get lost into the mix, but not when they're bombarded with thousands of them at once. Operation Rainfall wasn't a boycott, but a complain fest, and it mostly worked as we can clearly see.

I've been badgering Konami a little bit as well, requesting a proper re-release of Suikoden 2. With enough complaints, they'll know they have to give in, and they might realize they can actually profit off of it. That's a good thing.

Anyone who brings up the "entitled" gamer remark deserves to be swindled. Our capitalist system only works when we hold our corporations to actually deliver what we want.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Jim, I was one of those guys who was hating your show when it first appeared on the escapist, but over time it became one of my favorite shows on the internet, I just want to say I take everything back and keep on the good work on being right as always.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Definitely an interesting point about boycotts and made me think about my own boycott of Activision, mostly because of their business practices, but also because I'm never really interested in the games they publish anyway.

As for the bitching/moaning/complaining, I think it is definitely effective. However, I feel that is has to have some sort of direction, otherwise the complaining will just become a directionless wave of hate where people are misinformed over what exactly they're complaining about. We saw this with the Mass Effect stuff where people complained that the ending was shallow and didn't make sense, and then we got people counter-complaining that those that were complaining were doing so because they didn't get a happy ending, which is a misinterpretation of what they actually were complaining about.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
So basically if gamers want change we must be like this

and not like this

ok

OT: Liked the episode and it explains WHY most boycotts aren't a good idea.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
Nice hat, Jim. Is there a story behind it?

As for the topic - i do both. I moan and ***** and whine to make my voice be heard, and boycott games/publishers/developers to make myself feel good.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Works for me. Boycotting is just childish. Especially as companies like EA produce or release a huge amount of popular titles. But i get the anger, ive played games or watched a dvd that was shit. But, the people that say "im gonna boycott that company" never do.

Moaning can work and you can still play the games you like. An if you didnt buy the game...then you wouldnt moan and then things wouldnt change. :) SO BUY.

I think, instead of boycotting. Just rent. Rent from Blockbuster or Lovefilm. You get to play games for cheaper and you save so much money. :)

Oct 30, 2010
Sounds to me like boycotting plus whining would be the real way to go, but I know that's a level of commitment many people (including myself) would have a hard time sustaining.

How effective is lying? I could buy a game and complain about it on the internet as 4173 and send a message as [name redacted] that I boycotted shitty business practice X.

Twice the whining, none of the self-deprivation.

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
Anyone else feel like this is just stage 1 in Jim creating hiw own army? Step one, tell everyone that complaining is ok. Step 2, escalate and organise. Step C, take over the internets by force.

If so, I'm in because this all makes sense. kneel before thank god for Jim.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I can see your point about boycotts, but the whining thing makes no goddamn sense. Why should Publisher's feel any obligation to listen to whiners who are just going to buy their products anyway? I mean I could see some sense if the whiners threatened to STOP buying their products (as much as that would be an empty threat), but instead it's like "We hated this and that, but we're going to keep mindlessly consuming your shit anyway."