MortisLegio said:
So basically if gamers want change we must be like this

and not like this

ok
What a world, what a world.
Reminds me of a song...
Or at least the title of one.
Still, good advice in there.
...I'm still boycotting any EA game that requires Origin, though. Thank god for that final disclaimer (though my principles in this one aren't based in morals... they're based in convenience. I refuse to put up with a separate client and account for every goddamn publisher. Give me hardcopies without online-only DRM client software or fuck you up the nose).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I find myself liking your videos more and more, although I suspect a lot of people cannot see past the aggression and listen to the actual points being made.

It's also always a pleasure seeing things from another perspective, I honestly hadn't really thought about the other side of what a boycott may do. Although I have seen enough to know that they never really work anyway.

canadamus_prime said:
I can see your point about boycotts, but the whining thing makes no goddamn sense. Why should Publisher's feel any obligation to listen to whiners who are just going to buy their products anyway? I mean I could see some sense if the whiners threatened to STOP buying their products (as much as that would be an empty threat), but instead it's like "We hated this and that, but we're going to keep mindlessly consuming your shit anyway."
Because in a lot of cases, they can't tell who has bought it and who hasn't. All they know is that a lot of people are hating the ending, and that this fact is getting spread amongst the internet and "gaming community" like wildfire.

While they are still raking in a lot of money, they will be losing out for every person who hasn't bought it due to the complaints.

I do see your point, but image matters in the long run. It is why Valve gets so much adoration (excessive as it is), they know how to make themselves look good.

For example the L4D2 boycott. People create a boycott group, and Valve fly the leaders over to see the game for themselves before it's release. Not only do the leaders of the group openly state they were wrong, Valve looks good for paying attention to the fans, responding, and spending money in order to do it.

EA in that situation would have quoted how many sales the series has so far and what the average rating of their games are on all the well known gaming sites and magazines. While implying that all those who dislike it are strongly in the minority. Which is why people hate them so much.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
You know... I never really thought about it that way. Boycotting a shitty publisher only hurts devs... and you should never want to do that.

Developers are the magic.
Publishers are the money(poison).

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Jim, oh Jim.
I am never wrong!
You are wrong about shrimps (and about being always right)
That makes you more wrong than me.
ENVY ME!!!

On the topic
My Activision boycott started after it became clear that there won't be Battlezone3
Pricks :(
And it seems that this boycott will continue for pretty long time

captcha: i love lamp
You have no idea >:D

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
This would also be a lesson for developers not to let themselves become purchased by the large publishers who just don't give a shit about them or their IP, resulting in a poor environment they helped create for themselves as most independent devs from the 90's and early 2000's sold out to give 3 publishers a near monopoly on the market.

If most developers remained independent during those crucial years instead of the owners seeing dollar signs, the industry wouldn't be so watered down and homogenized.

DRM wouldn't have such a stranglehold on it either.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Here be awesome
The truth is a hard thing to swallow, but it's still the truth. Thanks for being the first one here man enough to make a video about this. I can almost feel the uneasy glares you must be getting around the world for having the nerve to say this, haha.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
If that's the case, let me get on doing my part. Ahem.

"GODDAMN IT, WHERE THE HELL IS MY SEQUEL TO SKIES OF ARCADIA?! THAT GAME WAS GREAT!!"

Also, I like your hat, Jim.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jim, didn't you do a similar video way back? Regarding being heard by being whiny bitches instead of being mature?

Regardless, Hitman didn't change because of people who bought the game and complained, it happened because people complained, period. Maybe boycotting isn't the answer, but it seems purchasing is indeed superfluous at best.

...Okay, maybe not true, with higher "sales expectations" these days, but even then, this doesn't appear to be the standard. At least, not yet. Dead Space 3 may have a pretty nasty precedent.

In any event, it's been demonstrated we'll be viewed as whiny anyway, so it seems like pitching a fit might as well be the recourse anyway.

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
Your seem to be right about this one ill give you that.
Though action over bitching seems like a preferable course of action in most sensible situations,which these things rarely are.
I might try to put some of this wisdom into action time to ***** untill I can ***** no more!

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
For the most part, I agree. There's a big difference in someone saying something akin to that one line Riley said in the Boondocks ("Fuck you, fuck the horse you rode in on, fuck them shoes, fuck yo' chocolate, etc") and "Tasteful, Misunderstood, Nerd Rage" or whatever that video is called. The latter will simply cause everyone to tell you to fuck off, whereas the latter the latter will at least make whoever's listening pause and consider what you just said.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Irridium said:
So... who's up for throwing the biggest damn tantrum in the world to get Crytek to make a new Timesplitters game?

Or to make Lucasarts make Battlefront 3?

Because I'd be down for that.
Oh I am!

Crytek, when are we getting Timesplitters 4?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
RaikuFA said:
So any ideas on telling Capcom that I want AAI2 and MML3?

Should I make death threats, demand donations back and attack people who don't know what were talking about?
(I, finally get to do this! :3 ) (online)

Short answer to #2; No. That would only hurt your case.
Long answer, stalling tactic; Noooooooooooooooooooooooo0oooooooooooooo_ooooooooooooooooOoooooooooooooooooooo. Please don't.

As for how to make Capcom make AA12 and MML3. Well, complain, (with other like minded people for better results), that Capcom isn't doing those things you said, and preferably complain to Capcom. That's really the best way to do it. Be polite, and spellcheck (Crap! Is that one word or two? Damn you spelling!)
MortisLegio said:
So basically if gamers want change we must be like this

and not like this

ok

OT: Liked the episode and it explains WHY most boycotts aren't a good idea.
This post is three kinds of awesome! That is all.
We've tried that. Its the FGC that says we should'nt get them and guess who Capcom will listen too?