Jimquisition: Why Do People Hate EA?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Jim, once again, you're right on. I admit I can irrationally hate EA for ruining Mass Effect 3 (even though that is unsubstantiated accusation, not actually based on fact and the fact that I'm still pretty bitter about the ending being such a slap in the face) or for being competition-killing assholes for making sure there won't be another 2K Games-made NFL games (I still hold the opinion that ESPN NFL 2K5 was the last truly great realistic football game) until the NFL realizes EA is not good at their jobs, but that's really the reason why; they've eschewed improving the video game industry by providing great products at a lower price in favor of every bad habit that's running rampant in video games today (lousy DRM, withholding content in order to wring out more money as DLC instead of making it an extra, online passes that treat players like criminals, etc.) and making it even worse.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I gotta admit, the whole thing concerning Dead Space's required sales numbers really really rubbed me in the worst possible way.

It's becoming extremely difficult to want to support them nowadays, when mere years ago they were taking super adventurous and risky leaps WITH new franchises LIKE Dead Space and Mirror's Edge. Now...

Well, something will happen eventually. I'm not doing the Battlefield 3 Premium crap, not playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer and haven't got any plans to pick up or play anything BUT Dead Space 3 AFAIK right now.

So, hopefully this might send a message, assuming other gamers will be practicing the same refusal of play and purchase.

[I want that Gravity Rush t-shirt. Also, Jim is super duper sexy and I want his babbies.]

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Draech said:
Dangit2019 said:
darthzew said:
I was right with him when he said the he used to like EA. There was a time when they could have been right up there with Valve in terms of being the coolest publisher, but they're not. EA has done more to make me groan in the past few years than any other of the major publishers. That doesn't make them the worst, that just means I deal with EA more.
Me too, man. I remember after I heard about them saving Brutal Legend thinking: "Sweet! EA's investing in original IP's and is making Activision look like a bunch of ponces!"

It took about a year afterwards to realize that EA's one good deed had to be one of the last. Also, Online Passes have no excuse in a pro-consumer market, and the fact that EA acts like they are their basic right pisses me the hell off.

Captcha: That's enough

You said it, Chewie.
The problem is the Online passes are their basis rights. Its their product they can sell/rent/do whatever they want it.
Okay, how about I use different wording then. -ahem-

It's an INCREDIBLY STUPID idea to alienate potentially loyal customers by giving them the finger whenever they buy the game you published used.

Kanlic

Jul 29, 2009
Well I'm a whore.

[I would like the Gravity Fall t-shirt, and I think Jim Sterling of the Jimquistion is sexy.]

shadow3740

Jun 18, 2012
Now days it seems like the only publishers I don't feel terrible about buying from are 2k and valve everyone else just seems to be in a race to fuck me over.
[I would like a gravity rush shirt please and also Jim is sexy]

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Oh look, EA Stocks are falling!

I guess EA is gonna sacrifice "twice" as much newborn babies than they "usually do" to get the stocks back up

The Demon Lord of Creative Destruction and Misery was displeased with EA for giving him old people as a "substitute" last Fiscal Year since kidnapping Christan babies from the arms of their mothers was considered in the last Finical Report "too much of an investment and needed to cut costs" in true EA fashion, even their Dark Gods get the shitty end of the stick!

I remember EA doing the same thing back in the PS2 era and was criticized for it, they sorta turned a new leaf for a while, got popular and went back doing the SAME FUCKING THING THIS GENERATION!!

There's no hope for them, sheep-people need to stop feeding them cash and watch it DIE!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I have a bullet for most game publishers
(except Valve and Bethesda)
On the one for EA is written C&C :(

JKain

Mar 15, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Why Do People Hate EA?

The only difficult part in answering the question, "Why do people hate EA?" is deciding where to bloody begin!
Exactly!
Good Effort giving a brief overview in the vid, although of course it hardly even touched the surface of reasons - but that's impossible
(unless somebody writes a depressing book the size of war&peace)

I'll try to bluntly sum it up like this:
EA constantly sabotaged the Evolution of Gaming in pretty much every way I can possibly think of.
If I elaborate with even 1 Example I'd be going on for way too long, in writing only 1 chapter of that fictional book of "EA - Evil Absorption"

*boycots EA since 2005* - only thing i can do is vote with my wallet
(and fortunately I only missed mediocre to ok-games,because of it so far /only exception could be ME-series...but considering how that ended.....let's say not much regret there either)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I liked the intro. The "Hey Suckers" then diving into the content was much faster. I've never been hot for the padding in the beginning because you have plenty of interesting things to say.

And unfortunately...that's going to look like pandering now...

[I would like a Gravity Shirt Please, Also Jim is Sexy.]

balberoy

Aug 19, 2011
Jim I LOVE YOU!
What you just said is what I write in every comment on some german gaming sites since ME 2.

But you know what, people buy more and more products wich are labeled "Fair Trade". That means
they care for the world and want that people can live by their work.

EA ruins the industry, treats customers like maggots, publishes half games with missing
content, sells this missing content for exorbitant prices via DLC and crushes developer
like bugs.

For me this is a moral question.

Are you a nice person or are you an evil guy.

EA consumers are evil in my perception,
nothing can justify that you support them.

My last game from EA was DA:Origin, wich technicially wasn't by EA, because
EA buoght Bioware when this game was nearly ready.

And you can see what happend in DA II

By the way http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/05/29/ultima-9-ascension/

In the first 2 mins you can see, that EA does this since ancient times.
THEY RUINED ULTIMA!

EA is the fiend of all computer gamers.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I really dislike it when people are looking for reasons to hate EA, just waiting until EA does something just to hate it, even though they wouldn't dislike another company for those same reasons. There's really no point in doing that, EA gives use enough legitimate reasons to hate them anyway.
I equally dislike it when people, like Jim said, justify EA's behavior with "they're just a company doing business". That's a stupid justification and I'll never accept it as an excuse for what they're doing. Simply because they can do those things, doesn't mean I should forgive them for that.

And yeah, in some weird way it's actually funny how EA makes Activision look better simply because EA has become worse.

Alphieus

May 7, 2008
You sir have won an internet. No I can use this video when people ask "Why do you hate EA so much? They aren't that bad!!"

[also: I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please, and Jim is sexy]

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
I would honestly rather have a picture of Jim trying to wear the shirt rather than the shirt itself. Not a bad show, either.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Saw the video title and said "What?! Why do people still not hate EA, Jim?!" Then I saw the video description and all was right with the world. I suppose I should have known better, though. This show has blasted Konami, Ubisoft, online passes (which EA does), on-disc DLC (which EA does), always-online DRM (which EA does), crappy Origin pricing, and more in the past. I feel stupid for believing for even a second that this episode would be in defense of EA.

Anyway, time for me to shut up, grab some popcorn Raisin Bran, and enjoy the show.

... Yep, this is now one of my favorite episodes. Although I'm actually quite surprised to learn that EA once admitted that buying and ruining Westwood was a mistake. Wish they would actually follow through with that statement though and leave the Command and Conquer franchise to rest in peace instead of continuing to piss on it with shitty game after shitty game.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
This was golden!

Activision satanic but EA somehow doing worse sums the 2 major publishers up nicely.

Jim, I don't want your shirt, it was touched by a traitor! Plus - you said you wouldn't mail it to me. That makes me sad.

Viredae

Nov 10, 2009
really, to me, what's sad about EA isn't that they're as bad as they are, it's that there are people who still support them?

It's not really a matter of whether they're well informed about EA, it's fucking basic priorities; is this game worth upwards of $80+ dollars till the next week/month when a new games comes out?

(P.S. bear in mind that I'm assuming that there are people who buy their games at launch day, and not just wait till the price drops... Twice.)

(P.S.S. I really want that shirt, dammit!)

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
EA are fuckers and I think everyone knows that. I'm disappointed in IGN for not using the interview as an opportunity to address some of the things we're all thinking. Activision is a shit company too, but I am proud of them for not using online passes, but the fact that EA does seems to be the only reason that they don't.

Also, I don't know why people feel the urge to hate on BioWare in the same breath that they curse EA. EA has bought up plenty of companies and fucked them over, and not only is EA now drilling BioWare up the arse with no lubricant, people are calling BioWare the same evil corporation that EA actually is. One shit game (that I personally loved) does not invalidate all of the fun that you had with their other games, and if you let that be the case, then that's your own fucking fault.

Jim, I think that YOU should be the one to get to interview Electronic Arts. In fact, I would outright pay to see that. I mean, I'd only pay a dollar or something... but still.