Jimquisition: Why Do People Hate EA?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Yeah, there was a time a few years ago that I thought EA was truly performing some real quality control. I think I finally noticed just how far down hill EA was going with the Dante's Inferno advertising debacle. That, followed up with a lot of the shit they pulled in the last couple years... Jesus, the fact that there's actual credibility to that saying "Activision: At least we're not EA!" is just fucking pathetic.

[I would like the Gravity Rush t-shirt, and Jim needs to get laid. Badly.]

Deejilator

Jul 10, 2010
Really well done as usual. Between EA and Activision I've really started to lose faith in the Western market. Not only are the games the same old same old but couple that with insane amounts of DLC, DRM, Online Passes, and anything else they can think up in their satanic think tanks and what you get is a steaming pile of crap.

[I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please. Also Jim is SEXY. Thank God for him.]

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Orlake said:
I have my Red Alert 2 CD sitting on my shelf, and on the back of the case I've written "R.I.P Westwood"

EA will never have my forgiveness. ever.
I loved the Red Alert 2 series, One of the first games I bought.

OT: I used to like EA. They had decent fun games that I like and still play on occasion. But all caring for them died with BF3 and the ME3 fiasco. What happened to you EA? Why did you become so evil?

[I would like the Gravity Rush shirt, and Jim you are a sexy beast]

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Everything wrong with EA can be summarised by playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours.
Then play Battlefield 3.

See the difference?
I thought so.
I haven't played either and don't intend to. Are they the same or something? Sorry to shit on the joke.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Loethlin said:
While I completely agree with this rant, I have to ask. What's with the shrimp? It showed up to illustrate the words "fucked up".

[I don't want a shirt, but Jim is sexy.]
The shrimps show up a lot. Its some sort of hypnosis thing maybe. Jim bought stock in a shrimp corporation and wants to incite gamers to anger then convince them to eat their trouble away on shrimp.

What is important here is that EA is saying Dead space needs to sell 5 million copies so their solution is be like gears of halo. I swear EA if you explain the DS storyline and it makes sense so many people are going to get bored and not buy future dead space property. I cite the Matrix v. Matrix sequels. Everyone loved Matrix there was a sci-fi world that had some mysterious internal logic that was not fully explained. People wanted to know, they wanted more. When they explained it no one cared about it anymore.

People love Evangeline, no two people have the same explanation for that thing unless they are on LSD. Science proved it makes sense on LSD.

(I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please, Jim is totally sexy.)

Jim Read this:The US post office has flat rate shipping envelopes that are pretty cheap and a shirt can be crammed in there

tpb

Sep 13, 2010
Remember back in 2004 when I was running a games department of an electronic store.
I would go on rants about EA being the big evil.
Using it as a reason why you should never pirate games or we end up with nothing but the sims being released. :)
Things have not gotten better and it got nothing to do with piracy.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this video, especially the parts comparing EA to Valve and then, surprisingly, to Activision. Laughs were had, and thank God for you.

[I would like that shirt, also, Jim is sexy]

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Vigormortis said:
[on a side note, do not take my message as a personal attack or anything. I just get sick of hearing people complain about the offline-mode, seeing as it's actually quite reliable now. I also get sick of people complaining about aspects of Steam that either aren't an issue or aren't as bad as these people claim; all the while the REAL issues with Steam go unnoticed. Or rather, un-complained-about. Like the lack of currency conversion in the store, the somewhat buggy cloud-save feature for some games, or the frequency with which the Friends network has been going down lately. Those are just a few of the things that need to be complained about now; the things that actually need fixing.]
I complain about steams tech support. Is fairly unhelpfull. They will pawn you off on the developer enven when steam is the one causeing the issue. I had a problem with Bioshock 2. They kept sending me elsewhere to find help when it was a steam issue. They repeatedly told me it with the developers fault. Eventually I found the problem. Apparently the game ran in DX9 but the launcher made it launch DX10. I found them out and told them and they still had no help from me. "Take it to the devs," they said, "its not our fault". Finally I found a random forum somewhere that said where to put some code in for the steam launcher.

But yeah anyway it was their problem and they blamed it on other people. I don't like tech support that does that.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
DuelLadyS said:
I'm always amused by things talking about the horrible state of EA these days. See, there was a Dr. Pepper thing awhile back where you got free stuff for your EA games from a cap code. So, I decided to see what stuff I could get... and I learned I own NOTHING made by EA in the last 10 years or so. In an attempt to appeal to 'broader markets', EA made their stuff so bland that not only was I never interested in buying any of it, I wasn't aware enough of their titles to realize that was the case. Smooth, EA- real smooth.
Similarly; in my entire games collection going back 15 years; I've owned (and still own) games from Konami, Activision, Capcom, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, Namco, Koei, Eidos, Square Enix and THQ. A vast collection made up mostly by these sizeable publishers who're still going, except EA.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i wish i could have fit more of the game boom than the bust into my lifetime, but what can you do, really

i mean, besides being a pioneer or something, but i don't have that in me

and clearly ea doesn't either

[you can keep the tshirt but i'll say jim is sexy anyway]

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
subtlefuge said:
At least EA isn't IGN. Seriously, how does that happen?

[I would not mind a shirt. I know it could not contain your sexiness, but maybe it will have room for mine.]
Judging by how biased IGN's interview was, I was under the impression that they were EA.
It's a square/rectangle relationship. IGN is always EA, but EA is not necessarily IGN. The distinction is small, but very important.

darkwonders

Jun 18, 2012
I do hate how EA has changed... and they're games are still (mostly) a lot of fun. I'm still enjoying ME3 and BF3 immensely. I just shake my head at the bonehead decisions they make.

Also, I'd like the t-shirt, Jim-er-roo :)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
EA can change everything. If they actually try and change and stop being hypocritical bastards. The biggest problem with IGN's article is as pointed out is that they asked EA and not someone else that isn't in EA's pocket and risking their job for saying bad stuff about EA.

(Also I would like the shirt)
You're right, EA can change. But at this point it would take too long to be worth their while, they would end up losing revenue for the sake of PR, but good PR doesn't happen over night.

(I want that shirt you sexy beast (but sadly I live in the UK)).

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Um, wasn't Valve the corporation that that snuck code to identify pirated copies into Gary's Mod and then ran a sting operation via Twitter that banned accounts?

Don't they ban forum users that discuss ways to hack supplimental DRM like GFW:L out of games they already own for piracy?

Sorry Jim, no consumer loyalty here, they're just the less-est evil and have the best sales.

[I would like the Gravity Rush shirt that's not sexy enough for Jim, please]

pyro42

Aug 22, 2009
there is one thing you forgot, E.A. has the wurst adverising department ever, may i remind ever one of the "your mom will hate this game" Dead Space 2 add compain. (i would like that shirt)

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Started playing Sims 2 again. Looked up Sims 3 on Steam out of curiosity and was horrified at the prices. The game itself is fine, so is the expansions and extensions... just the whole mass of stuff is horrifying. Yes you can buy only a few, but that won't happen. As a gamer we always want the most we can get, and we will always be tempted by the extra stuff. It's efficient business practise from them, but it's sodding well evil.

People wonder why people pirate media. Unavailability and unreasonable pricing is the reason why people pirate.

SuperPogo

May 18, 2011
So I got my EA account banned permanently three months ago. I wasn't given a warning or reason. Upon sending a question as to WHY I was banned, which was a day after the banning, I never got a response back. I had a lot of money put into Battlefield heroes (the game is pay to win, so noboody should be surprised). Dammit. Screw you, EA.

Fun Fact: The Consumerist took a poll and ended up with EA as Worst Company in America of 2012. Against First Bank of America, too.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
mjc0961 said:
MrGalactus said:
Actually, now you mention it, It really is tough to remember what it is about Activision we hated so much. Off the top of my head...they torture game franchises out of relevance. Compared to all the bullshit EA has done, Activision almost seem like the scrappy, humble underdog.
Dafuq happened?

And, if you're offering,
(I would like a Gravity Rush T-shirt, and Jim is sexy?)

BTW, if you've got a vita, Gravity Rush is pretty great.
As I recall, there were really only two factors to begin with:

1. For a while, Bobby Kotick was running his mouth and saying INSANELY stupid things that pissed people off.

2. Call of Duty. It is popular and the best-selling game every year (constantly breaking it's own sales record). As we all know, if something is popular, it sucks. And since Activision publishes the popular game, they suck.

Of course, number one no longer exists. Good ol' Bobby finally learned to shut up a while back, so it's pretty much people just being immature little twats who hate Call of Duty because it's popular and hate Activision because they publish Call of Duty.

And I guess some people are mad about canceling the new True Crime game or something, but I don't care about that. It's being made by United Front Games, a developer that has already proven themselves to be incompetent. I'm sure once the renamed Sleeping Dogs finally comes out, people will see what an utter mess it is and realize that Activision was right in canceling it all along. Not surprising that Square Enix picked the game up either, as all Square Enix does anymore is waste money. They usually only do it on games that have "Final Fantasy" in the title, though.
Well, I don't really think that's fair, what about Assassins Creed? People don't hate Ubisoft for publishing that, and Assassins Creed is incredibly popular, and the same can be said of Bethesda or Valve. I'm sure people dislike Activision because of the developers they've ran into the ground, like Bizarre Creations, or the beloved franchises they've tired out long before their time, CoD, Tony Hawks, Spider-Man, Spyro, and lots more.
Some people do hate things specifically because they're popular, but I think it's unfair to say it's the main reason, in this case at least.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Why do you keep hating on DRM for games that aren't PC exclusive.
The PC market has been a lost cause since about 07, DRM on games that are also available on consoles is just developers pushing you to make the jump along with everyone else.
For PC exclusives like Spore though, there is no excuse.