Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Anstrup

Dec 8, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
I blame consoles for the fact that DLC exists...
I really don't want to agree, all my life i've been a console gamer. But i think you're kindda right. Back in the day, PC games would have hardcopy expansion packs, and console games would get sequels. Most of the time, you'd get your moneys worth on an expansion pack. The advent of online gaming on the console, introduced DLC you have to pay for (WAAAAAY overpriced DLC mind you. This generation has actually made drop console gaming, to bad i can't afford a gaming PC, or have any time for it anymore.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
GAunderrated said:
stuff, go back and read it if you're interested
I think you missed my point. It's predominantly the cost of entry that's prohibitive for PC's. I own a good gaming PC myself, and enjoy the benefits of steam sales, but that doesn't change the fact that, if I only had $500 to spend on gaming in a year, getting a PC leaves me less games (especially AAA titles) than the console option. Even at 50% off on all steam games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Plutar said:
Jim Sterling said:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

They were cheaper, easier to use, more convenient.
Last I checked, consoles were still cheaper than gaming PC's.
WRONG
same power PC as the pwoer of Xbox is now is cheaper. Actually, they dont even make them anymore (too crappy technology) so you gota buy used. or better yet but a normal PC for more and then make up for it by buying games much cheaper.

PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed.
Im sure you are trolling because i dont believe anyone can be that stupid.

Also anyone who thinks that PC is "hard to work with" probably lack a brain. there is no other way to explain such phrase.

MBurdock

Aug 7, 2012
mindlesspuppet said:
Warcraft: Tides of Darkness? Diablo Hellfire? Doom expansion packs? Heck, shareware with reminders to buy the full version? That's all early versions of DLC. Sure, consoles perfected it, but it is a sales model that started with PCs.

MBurdock

Aug 7, 2012
No need to check system requirements, update drivers, or fiddle with graphics settings. That's what makes consoles great.

Yes, it's lazy.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
MBurdock said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Warcraft: Tides of Darkness? Diablo Hellfire? Doom expansion packs? Heck, shareware with reminders to buy the full version? That's all early versions of DLC. Sure, consoles perfected it, but it is a sales model that started with PCs.
Console perfected it? For who? Certainly not the consumer.

Expansion packs were usually released a year or more after an original game, usually for about 80% of the cost of a new game (so ~$30-40 at the time), and most importantly it was expected for an expansion pack to practically double the content of the original game as well as add new mechanics.

Now people pay $20 for map packs, $8 for special armor, $5 dollars for alternate costumes. You can very easily spend the cost of another game buying DLC and barely have anything to show for it. Not to mention in the past maps, new models/skins, etc were simply expected in updates.

The idea of charging for a handful of maps was ludicrous, for the simple fact that user-made content existed in droves and was often as good as or better than that made by the developers themselves. These days only a handful of developers actually embrace their community and encourage player made content; Valve, Bethesda, Blizzard.

I don't want to say that consoles directly killed proper expansions and user content, because that simply wouldn't be true, greedy publishers exploiting a naive audience that didn't/don't know any better are to blame.

MBurdock

Aug 7, 2012
That's fair, they perfected it for their bottom line, which the industry cares about more than ever.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
thanatos388 said:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.
I would love to see a $15,000 PC. I don't think you can imagine just how powerful that would be. We're talking about 12 cpu cores operating at 3 Ghz, dual Tesla processors or if you prefer 6 linked nvidia GTX680, 144 GB RAM, 1TB Solid state hard disk and 20 TB Sata hard disk, all liquid cooled. So strap together about 30 PS3's at a full load and you might get the amount of processing power this thing would be capable of while idling.

$15,000 is what you spend when you want to view a strand of DNA in three dimensions in real time. I could build you a decent gaming PC with $600, a good one for $900, a really great one for $1200. If you own more than one console you're already there or more than half way there and you did it probably just to play 3 or so exclusive games.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.
As a PC gamer who enjoyed both kotors and is now loving jade empire, I feel confident saying dated games are fine so long as the core can pick up the slack. Graphics aren't everything.

Still PC does graphics better than 6 year old console systems, its to bee expected and its a solid benefit for pc gamers

Jobbie

Aug 14, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
I agree 100%. Awesome user created mods extending the game's life indefinitely was the norm. I am glad to see companies like Valve and Bethesda injecting new life into the modding community. Who needs to be bled dry by DLC when you can download an awesome mod for free. With windows 7 and the current generation of hardware, any person can build their own computer from scratch. AMD systems are powerful and dirty cheap to build. Intel is even getting affordable. Steam is a very very good thing.

Jobbie

Aug 14, 2010
MBurdock said:
No need to check system requirements, update drivers, or fiddle with graphics settings. That's what makes consoles great.

Yes, it's lazy.
I agree with your point. However with the current generation of windows, these things are becoming less of an issue. If you where to have said this during the XP generation, I would have agreed with you 100%.

Jobbie

Aug 14, 2010
I want to point out that PC gaming's death has been predicted many times over. I just want to say to all those who made this prediction.....I told you so.... :)

Jobbie

Aug 14, 2010
GAunderrated said:
God of Path said:
Well lets compare costs. Since that seems to be the only issue Jim skimped on. XBOX 360 Now = ~$200. Let's ignore controllers, because if you really want them you can buy the exact same thing so you can use a controller on a PC [https://www.google.com/search?q=cheese+pizza&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvnse&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SlwIUN6FPMfu0gHV1ojGAw&ved=0CFMQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955#hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pizza+cheese&oq=pizza+cheese&gs_l=img.3..0l10.76761.78885.0.78990.12.10.0.2.2.0.73.599.10.10.0...0.0...1c.E-i6qGaQmQ8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bea74e04c3ac0e0&biw=1920&bih=955]. Good Gaming PC Quoted = ~$600. 6 years ago (when we bought ours, lol), the cost was $300. I'm going to assume gaming PC stayed the same, even though it didn't. That still means at least a $300 difference between the two. Consoles are still, and as far as I can tell have always been, cheaper. A big factor for those without rich parents, lucrative online shows, or better than shit tier jobs.
I'm still surprised at the level of ignorance people like you have. Yeah consoles are cheaper in the hardware. But software wise you guys get screwed with a rusty spoon. PC gets MASSIVE discounts through steam sales an most AAA games fall between the 5-15 dollar range. It only takes about what 10 games over 6 years for you to drastically pay more? Heck I just got Borderlands 2 on pre-sale for 40 bucks (sale ends today for the 4 pack on steam) while most console games are going to pay 60 bucks plus tax. So off one game you are paying 25 bucks or more just off ONE game.

The point being is short sighted and ignorant people such as yourself is the reason why people still believe consoles are "cheaper". Because companies know how to sucker people like you in with low hardware and then shove overpriced software, services, and other bullcrap that makes you pay way more than a PC rig and games ever would.

Captcha: I like you! Aww thats sweet captcha. :)
Not to mention most hardware for the console is proprietary with the exception of some of the items for the PS3. (which is why I purchased a PS3). The Xbox rapes you with hardware add-ons that when added up, cost hundreds of dollars down the line.

sgtwisky

Apr 3, 2010
I agree with Jim on his points. I have been a PC gamer for about 18 years and just seem to get annoyed with the way consoles (at least current ones) limit me in a way I have never felt with a PC. That being said I will still likely own a console if for nothing else but playing split screen with my younger siblings. Wish more PC games would pick up split screen and hot seat play for those of us that cant afford to build 2 gameing rigs!

Ragonz

Sep 9, 2012
just to put in my 2p here

I have a ridiculous gaming PC, 3 HD 7970's, Core I7 990x, 32GB ram etc etc. but with all the power this thing has i could play all the latest games on my GF's pc i built for £400 at least on med - high setting, i just choose to play things on ultra high because me as a consumer wants to.

Now couple that with the drastic price difference in New released games between consoles and pc's (NOTE: Am NOT talking about pre-owned) and you actually save money over the life span of that moderate gaming pc than if you were to buy a cheaper console and buy the same number of games.

Cost reasons: Obliterated

Ease of use: I agree on consoles that popping in the disk and it (Usually) working straight away is nice and convenient aside from all the firmware updates and patches etc, but you tell me what isn't convenient about buying a game on steam downloading it and have steam install it for you then playing it straight away, yes you have to wait a small amount of time for it to install but with SATA 6GB/s drives becoming the norm installs take far less time than it takes you a console player to get your disk from the mailbox boot up your console and get it started. Coupled with the fact that the online gaming community for PC's is much MUCH stronger than consoles and any problems that you may experience is fixed by someone else within hours of it becoming apparent and any ease of use qualities of consoles are blown out of the water

Ease of use Reasons: Explained away

Games: Now this is where consoles have a bit of traction, they do have games which are made specifically for consoles which i would like to play. However and im not stating that anyone should do this or that its ok for this to happen but anyone who has a spare hour and half a brain can find an emulator install it onto their pc and play those same titles on their pc with no issues. Coupled with the fact that i can on my pretty new pc (running windows 8 currently to my shame) can play any game that has come out in the last 16 years (Haven't tried further back than that, yet) WITHOUT PROBLEM, case and point i was playing Quake (Released 16 years ago) this morning from my original disks spending 20 - 30 minutes getting it to work (Found out later it was on steam so would have taken me even less time getting it to work through that)

Games: PC wins

Im my PERSONAL opinion the only good thing consoles bring to the table is splitscreen racing games and social drunken stuff, which is quickly being phased out by developers (except the drunken bit) Whereas the Bad that consoles have brought to the table monsterously outweighs the positive.

Day 1 DLC, DLC in general, The current Business practicies of major coperations, and the absolute worst thing ever, ever to have been done by anything ever in the history of everything holy on this planet, Crap console ports to pc's. They ruined one of my most favorite games of all time (Dungeon siege) by pandering to console players, you know what i did with that game, sent a letter to steam and the publishers/developers (an actual letter that's how angry i was)telling them how they had ruined an iconic game of my childhood in great detail, and to Steams great credit they refunded my money and sent my letter onto the dev's/publishers on my behalf but with steam behind it.

If anyone has any points that they can think of that explains why people still use Consoles (Other than because their mates all use them) please let me know.

EDITS: Apologies for the number of times ive used coupled with and for the wall of text

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
if I had more time in the day after school and work between jumping on the couch and then having to hit the hay...then I'd consider doing more PC gaming (like many of my Internet friends are doing nowadays)
until then it's just launch something on the ol' console for a good bit then onto my laptop to either work or browse a bit before bed

and guess I spend my free days out and about, but hey to each his own lol

Something Witty

Omnidimensional Conductor
Sep 18, 2012
At least the PS3 can act as a (pretty crappy) Bluray player, something my PC has yet to be able to manage.

Of course thats because Sony is more short-sighted than a dwarf baby at a Christmas parade when it comes to releasing their codecs...