Jimquisition: Xbox One and the Death of Ownership

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Jman1236 said:
Even if sony pulls this same stunt, at least nintendo is still here to save us.
Sony won't have a choice if they want anything other than 1st party exclusives.

Do you really think the reason EA pulled the online pass thing was because they knew this crap wasn't coming down the pipes? If Sony wants any EA or even Ubisoft games on their system they have to toe the line on this DRM scheme.

As for Nintendo, EA pretty much said that even developing for the WiiU is a meh-maybe thing

Luminos564

May 15, 2013
*Sigh* I feel like I traveled into a Bizarro version of our world. I keep punching myself to see if I am still dreaming, but it turns out I am not. I'd have thought companies that existed to make money understood that if you piss off your customers, you won't get their money. A part of me hopes the XboxOne flops so hard that Microsoft is forced into fixing the complaints within weeks. But chances are this will not happen as there are still people out there who will buy the console regardless of these issues.

Looming_Shadows

Jun 21, 2012
WHAT IS THIS GOLDEN TIE HERESY JIM! With that said I don't think I'm going to be a microsoft consumer anytime soon

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I can only hope people will listen. This is the first time I've really felt a strong need to tell friends and family to not buy a product.

A quick word about a side issue, though-- Microsoft is also quietly screwing over independent games creators in a parallel way. The XBox Live Indie Games channel no longer has a community manager, they intend to discontinue future versions of XNA in 2014, and the word appears to be that it's increasingly hard to get a game on XBLA without either a publishing deal from Microsoft or the support of another big publisher- and both situations find ways to push the costs and work of pre-final polishing and post-final patching back onto the dev.

"Better prices and usability for the consumer" is not a compatible idea with "crowbar in more middlemen, each looking for their piece"- and that, above all, is where writers like Kuchera have taken leave of their senses.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
You know, I'm not worried about used games on the xbox one. Not at all. As it will affect no one. As no one is going to buy an xbox one at this rate.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Urh said:
DTWolfwood said:
Would be nice to see the gaming press to show a bit of solidarity to the consumer by not covering the system and its exclusives upon release.

Having it die a pitiful death from lack of coverage is the best way to say fuck you to Microsoft and their new xbox.

I'll do my part in not buying the system, but alas me and my kind only make a small percentage of xbox customers. :(
And what would happen to said gaming press if publishers were to pull all their advertising in a show of solidarity to the Xbone?
There we go, a conflict of interest. The practice is abhorrent decries the gaming press, yet they have to talk about the games that are on that very system.

I can only wish the public catches on and straight up not buy this system!

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
kajinking said:
I was honestly expecting this to come out AFTER the Xbox E3 thing.

You know...just in case the situation isn't actually all that bad and everything has been blow out of HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Given that MS already did an official "clarification" the only news that could come out of E3 is that they're in full retreat, or move ahead at full steam.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
I wish this was my "fucking ass" (´∀`)~♡ ...I demand more (homo-)erotic content in the Jimquisition!
While I think that your humour and use of foul language is sometimes over the top, I still very much like these openings and ending parts with you most of the time. Just cut a little bit back on the use of the f word? ^^
And keep spreading the good word Jim! Maybe it will enlighten a few stray sheep.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Justin Smith said:
How could the Xbox One possible sell!?
by people thinking "oh it's not that bad". And they go down all the line until they wait in turn to be made to Soylent Green and still thinking "at least the food will be pure with no fucking *insert racist expression here* residuals in it".

It's really unsettling how many people silently and willingly accepting things getting worse and so few care about making things better.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Delcast said:
hehe, good one, here we are sharpening our pitchforks and oiling out torches..

Well I'm crossing my fingers so Sony makes a stand for consumers... hah yeah that's gonna happen...
I have vowed.. that if they adhere to this bullshit, I won't buy their consoles, not even if they announce The last Guardian with a release date.
and then microsoft launches a 3 part half life episode 3 mega trilogy and crossover with a reboot of poral with collectable capes and flags because in desperation they bought valve.

then where do your loyalties lay?

muhahahahahahaha.

ok, yeah they'd just screw it up and fail but still.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
So when is the Miniature Fantasy Willem Dafoe - Belladonna's ***** Fist wedding?

I find it strange that Sony wouldn't jump on the same bandwagon because their competition, the XBOne, is giving gaming companies what they have been dreaming about for about a decade.
let's make one thing perfectly clear, Sony and Microsoft are not gaming companies. They are large multimedia conglomerates with relatively small gaming divisions. Never, ever forget that because that is what has informed every boneheaded decision on every console they've ever made.

Remember the Nokia Ngage? Well, few do. It was a cell phone gaming device that, unlike the recently flopped Xperia Play (sadness) used little game cards like the DS. Except you had to OPEN UP THE BACK OF THE PHONE AND REMOVE THE BATTERY TO CHANGE THE GAME CARD. When told this was a stupid thing to do, Nokia replied that people don't mind that their SIM card is under the battery.

It's that kind of missing the point. This kind of having focus on other technology and consumer goods that they just don't understand what makes for a good game experience and how to bring it to people.

I can't explain the WiiU, though. Other than Nintendo is Japanese and Japan is, to put it charitably,.... different. I assume they were trying to make a Nintendo smartphone/tablet thing there. But, game systems are rarely as good as their launch titles. And with the early release of the WiiU, well before the other two even announced they had a new game system coming soon, third party developers may have been skittish on making anything for it. And Nintendo has been late with the flagship titles lately. Probably trying to make sure they're good, one would hope.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
The Lugz said:
and then microsoft launches a 3 part half life episode 3 mega trilogy and crossover with a reboot of poral with collectable capes and flags because in desperation they bought valve.
Actually, that's what's going to sell the Steam Box.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I.Muir said:
Justin Smith said:
Idiots
Frat boys
Kids

People so desperate for call of duty and madden they will sign whatever the hell they are asked to without thinking twice
In other words idiots, frat boys, and kids.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I.Muir said:
Justin Smith said:
Idiots
Frat boys
Kids

People so desperate for call of duty and madden they will sign whatever the hell they are asked to without thinking twice
Forgot to add in grandparents buying it for said kids

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
the antithesis said:
The Lugz said:
Actually, that's what's going to sell the Steam Box.

LOL, yeah.. you're probably right.. kinda sad, canned and forced, really isn't it /sigh
at least there will be ONE decent game on it, eh :p

kinda looking forward to seeing exactly what the steambox brings, could legitimately be good.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jaeger_CDN said:
canadamus_prime said:
I.Muir said:
Justin Smith said:
Idiots
Frat boys
Kids

Forgot to add in grandparents buying it for said kids
Yes yes, them too. Although they're not really desperate for Call of Duty.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
So, anybody taking bets on how badly people will react to Microsoft's E3 press conference? Is anyone taking money on the "chasing the business casual spokesmen out of town with pitchforks and shotguns" scenario?

At this point, I highly doubt their console exclusives will save the Xbone. Even if they were planning to offer a new Killer Instinct, I can't picture myself ponying up money for a game system that has more issues than my comic book collection.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
The Lugz said:
kinda looking forward to seeing exactly what the steambox brings, could legitimately be good.
I think the answer to that question is "Steam to your livingroom TV." I get the feeling that the Steam box is not going to be a groundbreaking new thing. Hardcore Steam users who take advantage of their Big Picture feature no doubt already have a setup that does this from their massive gaming rig. What the Steambox is, then, is just another way for users to use Steam. I get a feeling like it's more of a sideline than a product Valve is focused upon.

That said, I would be shocked if the launch of the Steam Box did not coincide with the release of Half-Life Episode 3, finally. I doubt if it'll be the pack-in title, though.