Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Spot on Jim. What Microsoft, and let's face it to a degree, Sony, have been striving for the last few years is not to better peoples gaming experience, but to control it. And the best way to gain control is to wrestle it out of the cold dead hands of your competitors. So far its seems to be a no score draw between the big two consoles but PC gaming has been a pretty big casualty of late.

However seeing what Microsoft has brought the table this time with the Xbox One is actually pretty laughable. It reminds me quite a bit of when America Online strong armed its way to the top of the internet provider list in the 90s only to come tumbling down into obscurity a few years later when netizens figured out they didn't need internet with training wheels controlling how they could behave on the internet. And companies more directly connected to the technology could do the same job better and faster. I see the Xbox One going the same way. Companies closer to the cutting edge of multimedia technology already have a massive head start in the market, at a time when consumers are getting tired of the idea of an 800 lb gorilla sitting in their living rooms telling them what content they can and can't have access to, and how they are allowed to access it. Here's hoping that the Xbox One comes and goes as quickly as a fad like Pogs.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Speaking as an avid console gamer, I sincerely hope this entire new generation of consoles crash and burn spectacularly. Things are getting out of control for consoles and triple A games, and these publishers aren't doing anything to fix them in a way that benefits consumers. I say salt the proverbial earth of the triple A games industry and begin anew.

When Hollywood crashed in the 60s, nothing but good things ultimately happened afterwards. Films like Easy Rider, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, The Wild Bunch, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The French Connection, Taxi Driver, and film makers like Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas, Sam Peckinpah, Stanley Kubrick and countless others shed new light on the kinds of stories, characters, and emotions films were capable of showcasing and revolutionized and forever changed the business of motion pictures for the better.

If it can happen to movies, books, and music, it can happen too with video games.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
One of Yahtzee's first videos talked about how this generations was the one where "really interesting deformities started setting in"

In that same regard, I think this next generation is when the crippling, life threatening deformities start setting in...

It's time to widen the gene pool least stagnation kill off the console race.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
The WiiU has been a joke, the PS4 reveal was underwhelming, and the Xbone was appaling. Nothing short of Valve making HF3 an Xbone exclusive as well as Nintendo guaranteeing every new entry in its catalog of IP as exclusive to the Xbone as well could even begin to pique my interest. It's a poorly focused mess that doesn't seem to want to be a console and that's fine, PC gaming is far more robust.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the extra Jimquisition this week! The Xbox One reveal was definitely deserving of one and for all the wrong reasons. I think Microsoft has the most actively talked about console thanks to all the insanity that sprung from the event.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I decided I would switch to PC exclusively for this gen awhile back and it seems everything the Xbone if offering is making that decision seem more and more prudent.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Xbox One: It only makes sense as a Rube Goldberg-worthy plot to invigorate PC gaming and sell Windows machines.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Well, i live in the UK, so chances are the live TV thing won't carry over here. I hate sports, and the only other media I play on my games console are blu-ray movies... so a PS4 it is, then. It'll look very nice sitting next to my WiiU, I'm sure.

It certainly can't look any worse than Microsoft's BetamaXbox..

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Also you didn't mention how profoundly xenophobic this presentation was. Beginning with the fact that the TV / Sports features are likely to be available ONLY on the US, and the complete omission of any acknowledgenment of the current problems. I currently live in Chile, and contrary to what Microsoft might believe, we don't live in huts or conjure up internets through the powers of the voodoo, I have a decent broadband internet connection and a credit card to purchase internationally but we still cant even get a X-box live account legitimately, because.. well you just cant..ok?

But now I can hook up my tv to this box? well do we even know what sort of signal standards does this box take? Will I be able to purchase games without a 80% overcharge? Does this device improve my experience in any way, shape or form? It all indicates that a: microsoft doesn't care, b: Even if it worked, what's the point?

Andy Shandy said:
So yeah, just as bad as the PS4 Reveal.

E3 should at least be fun this year (and will be when I personally pass final judgement on the Xbone and PS4), because all three companies will either blow us all away...or they will be hilariously bad.
You can't be serious comparing the two.
The PS4 reveal surely had some issues, some of the international issues are still unanswered. But it undoubtedly presented a GLOBAL CONSUMER / DEVELOPER focus ( I will not say gamer focus because ghhhh). It clearly displayed the intention of the PS4 becoming a platform that supported the creative media, and that does fill me with hope.
As bad? what is the Xbox? as someone said, a media hub for rich white american prepubescents to watch tv? really?

I can't even imagine a Japanese developer(or any other non US based devs) being interested in ever developing games for this Xbone mutant... No, just unacceptable. Sure things can get better at E3 but as an indie developer I feel profoundly igored, and if I had any plans of developing for Xbox, they are currently dwindling.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
RIP Console Gaming: 1985 - 2013

I'm not giving up on gaming just yet, far from it, the handheld territory is more exciting than ever and my PC is already brimming with tons of games (I'm seriously considering on getting a 1 or 2 TB harddrive), both old and new (thank God for GOG... and Jim of course).

Best of luck for the new console generation, I'm not gonna miss it.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Professor Uzzy said:
Frankly I'd be amazed if they didn't spend half the E3 Presentation talking up their awesome new system that lets Americans watch TV on their TV.
YO DAWG, WE HERD YOU LIKE TV etc.

Hey, wasn't the XBox a games console once?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
WHAT'S THIS?JIM BEING A DUMBASS?NO WAY?!
I like how he said this is gonna be a console for the rich and he doesn't even know the price.I also like how he went on to bash a console for having MORE OPTIONS!HOW IS HAVING TV,INTERNET,MOVIES,MUSIC BAD?!
Did you actually watch the episode. He prefaced the comment about it being for the rich by highlighting the casualties of having an always on console, most of which were either of a charitable nature or a cost saving nature, such as game renatl services, believe it or not not everyone is going to stump up cash for every game and prefer to rent a game to see if it is worth the cash.

As for the console with more options again he prefaced these contents by highlighting the fact that most smart TVs already do these things, highlighting that he doesn't need an XBox to do the majority of the things that MS highlighted but the XBox does need a TV to do ANYTHING.

So who is the real dumbass here then?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
heheh, ass from its elbows. My Avatar is increasingly appropriate if you keep pushing these Blackadder quotes.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
The golfclap did me in. You have an amazing sense of comedic timing, Jim.

Excellent job. I have nothing to say, because you've said it all for me.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Delcast said:
Why can't I compare them, they are two next-generation console reveals, are they not?

And, taking the presentations themselves alone, I found them pretty much equally as disappointing.

As for all the other shit surrounding it, I'll wait until the dust settles a bit before that considering all the contradictory shit that has been going around that I've seen.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
RIP Console Gaming: 1985 - 2013

I'm not giving up on gaming just yet, far from it, the handheld territory is more exciting than ever and my PC is already brimming with tons of games (I'm seriously considering on getting a 1 or 2 TB harddrive), both old and new (thank God for GOG... and Jim of course).

Best of luck for the new console generation, I'm not gonna miss it.
Are we counting the OUYA as part of this gen? I mean... the biggest thing that might happen might be these companies thinking they have these things locked and getting lax and lame, and the little guy actually having better *games*.

Meanwhile, they were excited about voice commands... something my TV has had since the late 90s via my computer.

Really?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Don't get me wrong, it's a decent feature to not have to switch between inputs to go to TV but unless it's also a DVR then it's only a feature because I like things that save me even small hassles. But that's a pretty darn minor feature.

I think it's just them being really proud at having arrived at being a one-stop media center. This has been the goal started with the current generation. To make sure anything on the TV goes through that box. Hurray, they can celebrate that land mark. But they didn't put any focus on making that service better and I have yet to throw a tantrum of rage at having to press the input button on my remote to switch to cable. Now, if it allowed me to play my PS4 through the Xbox 1 then...

So they require online connection once a day? *sigh* That had better come with an anti-theft feature. I wonder what kind of information they get when we do that? Big brother is watching and all that.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Dance for us!

Thinking about the fact that the console is probably going to cost around $350 plus having to buy the extra controllers, online passes, extra storage, etc.. The price starts being similar to a "decent" PC rig which has all the freedom and upgrade-ability that you could ask for.

It just seems like they should have been pushing the actual gaming experience (the full room display, head tracking, better online gamer profiles, etc...) instead everything they talked about was everything but games.