Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
FFP2 said:
MS pretty much made my choice clear when all they showed was TV, Sports and COD.

PC and the Wii U will keep me going through next gen.
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Now I see why nintendo isn't even bothering with an E3 big presentation like Sony and Microsoft, even if their system isn't selling that great the "next gen" consoles are digging themselves an early grave.

The Ps4 also has the potential for always online DRM but its left to the publishers not the console. However, seeing how publisher react today I can't help but feel its almost a certainty for system sellers to have some form of DRM crap on the Ps4 (my opinion of course).

Of course the no backwards compatibility without cloud or peripheral crap and the lack of interesting exclusive IP's is enough for me to wait 3-4 years for the Ps4 to get their act together before I even consider purchasing.

Edit: I'll laugh if Jim was right and WiiU wins this console gen

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I just thought about something else. I own a 360 and not a PS3. Considering that I will not be able to play my old 360 games on the Xbone I will have to maintain that console regardless. BUT if I want to buy a next gen console I have no real incentive to pick the Xbone over the PS4 considering that whatever I buy is going to be a fresh system anyway.

So nice work there Microsoft, because of your lack of backwards compatibility if I am only going to buy one console I can consider the PS4 because they are equal to me.

Either way I'll just play on the PC anyway though.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Aitamen said:
SupahGamuh said:
RIP Console Gaming: 1985 - 2013

I'm not giving up on gaming just yet, far from it, the handheld territory is more exciting than ever and my PC is already brimming with tons of games (I'm seriously considering on getting a 1 or 2 TB harddrive), both old and new (thank God for GOG... and Jim of course).

Best of luck for the new console generation, I'm not gonna miss it.
Are we counting the OUYA as part of this gen? I mean... the biggest thing that might happen might be these companies thinking they have these things locked and getting lax and lame, and the little guy actually having better *games*.

Meanwhile, they were excited about voice commands... something my TV has had since the late 90s via my computer.

Really?
I almost forgot the Ouya exists, but the way I see it, it still has a looooong way of demonstrating that it can be a viable "console", in my opinion, I consider it as nothing more than an experiment on making mobile gaming into proper console gaming, wich I don't see much sense considering anyone can get a much more powerful tablet and connect it to their TVs, heck, with a bit of techy snafu, you can even connect a 360 controller and voilà, you have a nice little console.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
Love the little facepalm on dafoe when jim was clapping.

I don't know why I'd want to buy a pc/tv that can't be upgraded and has a bunch of pay walls...why does Microsoft think I would?

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6331-Why-the-Wii-U-May-Have-Already-Won-Next-gen
Lets not forget this little number by jim

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So, EA drops their always on DRM and MS adds a mutated form of it. I know these new consoles haven't exactly been stacking up well against modest-priced PCs but this is a serious step backward. If I can afford a console this holiday season (big IF) I will not be buying this one. Exclusives don't interest me. Features like TV bonus content and services don't interest me. I've never used Netflix, preferring good ole hard copies. Living in tornado alley there will be times I'll have network lines disconnected, and in those times I'll be needing a console that works fine without one. So for my money it'll be PS4.

ellieallegro

Mar 8, 2013
I have always maintained that most AAA developers conceptualize the games market by holding to the idea that they are not selling you a product but a license to use said product. This is just a extreme logical extension to the eula, drm, always on progression. Microsoft is just giving developers what they want: A way to kill the used games market and game sharing/trading on the consoles.

Furthermore, Microsoft is not aiming to capture the market consisting of most gamers who grew up with the xbox and the 360. It's done with those people. What they want are the 16-22 always online, ADD generation and the marketing speak reeks, as Jim pointed out, of the over 30 crowd trying to look cool in front of the kiddies.

It will definitely bomb in market-share with the hardcore and core gamer audience but I think they expect that to happen and someone or a group on someones took a look at the numbers and decided that they could make up those sales by appealing to the casual market, the millennials, the call-of-duty bros and the madden-ites.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
GAunderrated said:
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Now I see why nintendo isn't even bothering with an E3 big presentation like Sony and Microsoft, even if their system isn't selling that great the "next gen" consoles are digging themselves an early grave.

The Ps4 also has the potential for always online DRM but its left to the publishers not the console. However, seeing how publisher react today I can't help but feel its almost a certainty for system sellers to have some form of DRM crap on the Ps4 (my opinion of course).

Of course the no backwards compatibility without cloud or peripheral crap and the lack of interesting exclusive IP's is enough for me to wait 3-4 years for the Ps4 to get their act together before I even consider purchasing.

I keep forgetting that the Wii U has FULL BC with the Wii and that we can buy used games. And that they're the only ones that have been honest with us throughout the U's launch. It's sad to think that stuff like that was the norm in the good ol' days.

They went to the top of my wishlist after they refused to let EA put Origin on the U.

OT: I rarely agree with Jim but I sincerely hope that nintendo wins another generation in a row.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
You have to wonder who exactly Microsoft think their audience is. Among the overbearing talk of TV, TV, TV, the games they showed off mainly appealed to the trash talking wreak who buy CoD and sports games every year and considering those very same games are coming out for current systems as well, why the hell would they get an Xbox One?

Even if they can exclusively focus on talking games in future now they've got the box out of the way, something Sony has to still address (and I doubt they're going to be perfect angels, though they will likely be angels at least in comparison), but the horrendous taste Microsoft's left in the mouths of those who are likely to go out on day one and buy the thing will take a hell of a lot to shift, especially with it being revealed indie devs can't self publish on on the XbOne (something I imagine Microsoft opened up with when they revealed the system to major publishers)

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
FFP2 said:
GAunderrated said:

I keep forgetting that the Wii U has FULL BC with the Wii and that we can buy used games. And that they're the only ones that have been honest with us throughout the U's launch. It's sad to think that stuff like that was the norm in the good ol' days.

They went to the top of my wishlist after they refused to let EA put Origin on the U.

OT: I rarely agree with Jim but I sincerely hope that nintendo wins another generation in a row.
His wii U video ended up being spot on.
People aren't understanding what it actually is as Iwata put it.
Also can we get a gif of Jim clapping there?

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
OK. At least we can try and program a wrapper for the executables. With luck and dlls, it's even going to run in WINE.

With Microsoft slowly going down the drain (and thank god for that), my advice is: look if there are drivers for Linux for your particular GFX card. I'd also consider looking at Kubuntu (which looks and feels enough like Windows to be usable by somebody who used to use Windows). I also recommend Enlightenment as a GUI, but that one can get slightly more confusing. Also, Linux doesn't have any of that activation business one has to go through with all MS products nowadays.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
MisterColeman said:
I watch sports in a bar or at a friend's. I don't play CoD. I also do not have a subscription to TV, and frankly I don't even like dogs. I play video and board games.

Clearly, as a gamer, I'm not their target demographic.
You're not their target demographic simply because you're a gamer. Microsoft doesn't care about us any more.

I have to sift through so much shit on my Xbox 360 dashboard just to find video game related content it's untrue. I can't imagine that getting any worse.

This is the exact same reason I hate smart phones; they do so much irrelevant stuff all at once that they actually forgot their core function is to be a phone.

kamay

Nov 9, 2010
I chalked this up to being like Ford releasing a new car and only talking about how awesome Pandora is going to sound on the stereo...

Dec 16, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Xbox One out of Ten

The Xbox One was revealed this weak to thunderous applause. Oh wait, did we say applause? We meant, farts. Thunderous farts.

Watch Video
thanks Jimothy for two Jimquisitions in one week, and agree with everything said, except the praise of PS4, everything they've shown so far doesnt seem too exciting or game focused either

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
It's too bad Valve isn't publicly traded, because they are about to make an absolute metric fuck-ton of money and I would love to be in on that.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
GrimHeaper said:
His wii U video ended up being spot on.
People aren't understanding what it actually is as Iwata put it.
Also can we get a gif of Jim clapping there?
We should just have a gif of Jim laughing like a maniac and put it up when the gaming industry inevitably crashes.

I hope that MS have the same problem and people confuse this "entertainment device" with the original Xbox. They deserve all the shit that they're currently getting.

OT: I would just like to point out that the "Trending" tab is before the "Gaming" tab in the new dashboard. MS thinks that we give more of a fuck about what our friends are playing than what we are actually playing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ickabod said:
I just thought about something else. I own a 360 and not a PS3. Considering that I will not be able to play my old 360 games on the Xbone I will have to maintain that console regardless. BUT if I want to buy a next gen console I have no real incentive to pick the Xbone over the PS4 considering that whatever I buy is going to be a fresh system anyway.

So nice work there Microsoft, because of your lack of backwards compatibility if I am only going to buy one console I can consider the PS4 because they are equal to me.

Either way I'll just play on the PC anyway though.
I've been thinking about this and I also have all systems including a powerful PC. I've always preferred Playstation dashboard to the 360 one. The 360 was always so cluttered and the ps3 was simple and linear. God forbid I ever had the volume up and accidentally moved the selector over an add or whatever they're called on the 360 (that box that if you hover over it for a second in suddenly launches a video you didn't ask for).

I'm genuinely surprised that Sony's console has recieved so much praise. People really disliked a lot of choices Sony made last gen (myself included) so I was expecting some more "fanboy" outlash. But it seems like most of us are on the same page, even those of us with a soft spot for Microsoft's system.

Maybe the playstation just hasn't revealed some of the features we're pissed at Xbone on now.