Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Reyold said:
canadamus_prime said:
I predict that the XBox One is going to fail miserably, and I want to be there when it does.
It'll be amazing to watch it crash and burn. I got popcorn if anyone wants some.

It's just like a train wreck; it's horrible, but you can't look away. Except we'll all be laughing about the whole thing.

Also, the timing of that slow clap was brilliant, Jim. Absolutely brilliant.
Yes, save me some of that popcorn.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
The only thing that excited me about Xbox One's announcement is now I can buy a 360 and 360 games for cheaper :D

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
MopBox said:
the antithesis said:
Sad thing is, this still isn't making the Ouya look any better. :(
I just don't understand the Ouya bashing.
Tell you what, I was as interested in the Ouya, GameStick, Project Shield as the next guy. Possibly moreso because, well, I don't buy consoles. For lots of reasons. Mostly because the only way I want Call of Duty delivered to me is with a spike through it's forehead and left out by the curb on Thursdays. The idea of someone breaking in with a cheap console seemed groovy. But I've had time to think about it and it doesn't seem as groovy as it did at first blush. It runs Android, so it's like a mobile phone. Well, I don't have a smartphone, either (should have gotten an Xperia Play while I could) but that's the way to play Android games and with some phones you can hook them up to your massive livingroom TV and play it like a console. So what need are these things filling? I ask because I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

But then, what makes or breaks a console is always, always, always the software. If Ouya manages to get an exclusive game that people buy the Ouya to play, I'll eat my tasty, tasty words. Until then, the Ouya is going to be like the cheap Chinese knock-off toy that your grandmother buys you for your birthday. You asked for G.I. Joe and she found something called U.S. Soldier which looks the same but is made of that cheap plastic that melts in the sun. That's the niche I see Ouya filling at this point. It was a fairly sad conclusion to come to, let me tell you.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
scw55 said:
Rex Dark said:
Well, at least this might decrease the amount of people insulting other people's mothers on XBox Live.
I doubt it. You'll just have rich and privileged people insulting each other's mothers instead.
I say your mothers a tramp sir.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
So yeah, just as bad as the PS4 Reveal.

E3 should at least be fun this year (and will be when I personally pass final judgement on the Xbone and PS4), because all three companies will either blow us all away...or they will be hilariously bad.
Actually ya you are right I never even really thought about it but all three systems are looking bad right now and every single one needs to win people over in some way or another.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
the antithesis said:
MopBox said:
the antithesis said:
Sad thing is, this still isn't making the Ouya look any better. :(
I just don't understand the Ouya bashing.
Tell you what, I was as interested in the Ouya, GameStick, Project Shield as the next guy. Possibly moreso because, well, I don't buy consoles. For lots of reasons. Mostly because the only way I want Call of Duty delivered to me is with a spike through it's forehead and left out by the curb on Thursdays. The idea of someone breaking in with a cheap console seemed groovy. But I've had time to think about it and it doesn't seem as groovy as it did at first blush. It runs Android, so it's like a mobile phone. Well, I don't have a smartphone, either (should have gotten an Xperia Play while I could) but that's the way to play Android games and with some phones you can hook them up to your massive livingroom TV and play it like a console. So what need are these things filling? I ask because I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

But then, what makes or breaks a console is always, always, always the software. If Ouya manages to get an exclusive game that people buy the Ouya to play, I'll eat my tasty, tasty words. Until then, the Ouya is going to be like the cheap Chinese knock-off toy that your grandmother buys you for your birthday. You asked for G.I. Joe and she found something called U.S. Soldier which looks the same but is made of that cheap plastic that melts in the sun. That's the niche I see Ouya filling at this point. It was a fairly sad conclusion to come to, let me tell you.
You know the Ouya can play anything graphically up till early this gen right? I know android makes you think "phone games" and that is where it is used generally but it is capable of so much more. Also it has emulators for almost all the systems which is kick ass. I dunno people all have this mind set that Android means only cell phone stuff but android is just a means you does very little to dictate or limit the content itself. The limits are imposed by the system itself which again isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
You didn't even mention the mic that always has to be on, but yep
I won't even go over to a friend's house to go play the Xbox One Nine Eight Four.
What a piece of shit.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
If people would just stop thinking they have rights and stuff we wouldn't be in this mess! I mean what right do consumers have to think they own what they buy and be able to give/sell that item to other people. It would be better if you just gave Microsoft your money and were happy you got a VHS player from the 90s!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Sony's presentation may have been a substantial amount of "meh", but at least it didn't outright anger its target demographic?

I fear this generation, possibly the last generation, isn't looking that hopeful.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
So is it too early to declare Microsoft as the new "Atari" of the games industry?

now we just have to wait and see if E3 can save their asses, or they find someway out of this(Which i kinda doubt with the big hole they dug themselves into).

If this ends with a truckload of Xbone's being dumped and buried somewhere in the desert then I'll sing domo arigato mr roboto to my PC, or maybe "Number one" instead.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
*sigh* Every generation there are new things that my system can't do that the last one could. Can I just get a new system that will play video games?

I swear by my 360 and I really enjoy the Xbox Live service, plus I've gotten more help from their customer support than I ever did from Sony's, but this shit is just ridiculous. If you're a fan of Xbox, a real fan, and this reveal didn't make you think something along the lines of "wait... what?" then you need to take a step back and reevaluate your measure of the Xbox One.

A fee for playing pre-owned/rental games? Seriously? That defeats the purpose almost entirely. That's even before online passes get taken into account. I'll miss Halo quite a bit, but I think I'm going to have to go with Sony this generation. Sure, their reveal wasn't particularly good either, but at least there's less bullshit on that side.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Lenderian said:
Laughing Man said:
WHAT'S THIS?JIM BEING A DUMBASS?NO WAY?!
I like how he said this is gonna be a console for the rich and he doesn't even know the price.I also like how he went on to bash a console for having MORE OPTIONS!HOW IS HAVING TV,INTERNET,MOVIES,MUSIC BAD?!
Did you actually watch the episode. He prefaced the comment about it being for the rich by highlighting the casualties of having an always on console, most of which were either of a charitable nature or a cost saving nature, such as game renatl services, believe it or not not everyone is going to stump up cash for every game and prefer to rent a game to see if it is worth the cash.

As for the console with more options again he prefaced these contents by highlighting the fact that most smart TVs already do these things, highlighting that he doesn't need an XBox to do the majority of the things that MS highlighted but the XBox does need a TV to do ANYTHING.

So who is the real dumbass here then?
Additionally Alan wake isn't a Xbox exclusive its multi-platform last I checked existing on the pc aswell.(posted in this reply since the original reply isn't available for quoting

and yes console isn't cheap if you are forced to buy new games 100% of the time those prices really add up to the point of being unaffordable cutting out a point of savings isn't exactly good for any but the richest of your userbase
Not just multiplat, but the PC version is the current Humble Bundle weekly game thing. Anything over $1 gets you Alan Wake and Alan Wake: American Nightmare both DRM free and with Steam codes. Any amount of money at all will get you the DRM free copies.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Baldr said:
gamegod25 said:
It's both funny and sad to see just how out of touch MS apparently is. Be it ignorance or just plain contempt for gamers I don't know. Apparently "needing time to respond to Sony" meant thinking of how they could make it as unappealing as possible in comparison.
No, Gamers are just out of touch on what sells on mainstream and what mainstream consumers demand.
And just what is that exactly? Something that does what everything else out there already does?

Fiairflair

Polymath
Oct 16, 2012
Overall, I felt let down by the XboxOne presentation. 1 out of 10 is a bit rough. 5 out of 10 seems fair, and that isn't enough for me.

Don Mattrick started it off, and the sales points that appear around the XBOXone in the video were reasonable enough.
'Ready when you are'
'Instantly responds to you'
'Ultimate precision' - referring to the controller
'Cloud powered'
'All your entertainment. All in One'

Everything except that last point appeals to me as a gamer. They are things I want, but what I want most is to see what the console can do with games. I wasn't to find out yet, though.

In the spoiler is more detail of how this presentation made this gamer dread the coming console generation.

Yusuf Mehdi came out and showed how the voice and motion controls work. He used the console to access live television, to watch films and to browse the internet. All of these things have been around for a while and the most impressive bit, the films, has been around the longest. Skype was just Skype, and the call he made was painful to watch. I have a mobile phone that I use to call people and I carry it everywhere. I don't want or need Skype in my lounge room.

Marc Whitton spoke about the tech, and as far as I could tell it was pretty impressive. The voice control/motion control gaming that he hinted at is of no interest to me but I thought to myself that others might like it. More servers were promised and more servers is good. Record and replay was pushed as an innovation, but that has also been around for ages. Achievements were mentioned, but surely nobody actually cares about XBOX achievements. I sort of liked this guy talking tech to me, but then he said that EA create games and I stopped liking him.

Andrew Wilson comes out and, 27 minutes in, makes the first reference to a game by its title. Yay! I'd been waiting for that. Except... damn it, four sports games. I don't like sport. I don't play sports games because I don't like sport. So, just for me, he played a clip of some sports athletes talking about sport. Oh goodie.
There was one bit about true player motion that peaked my interest, but it wasn't expounded.

Then Phil Spencer decided to state the bleeding obvious. Better tech allows for greater variety and creativity. That's true, but I felt like someone should point out to him that variety and creativity depend on other things far more than they depend on graphics and processing power.

Fonza MotorSport 5 and Quantum Break are showed. I don't like racing games, but Quantum Break looked interesting. A pity, then, that I didn't have a clue what it was about. Not even a premise. But Phil promised lots of games and that is good. I just have to trust him to make them and release them and tell me more about them later. Great.

Nancy Tellen and Bonnie Ross talk about television again. Sadly Halo, scope, scale and Steven Spielberg just didn't do it for me.

Don comes back and outlines an ambitious vision. He wants XBOXone to be everybody's sole entertainment system. I hate that idea. I don't want to be dominated by one system that I don't trust and then pay for the privilege.

Finally, I got to watch Eric Hirshberg talk about CoD: Ghosts. Amazingly, this was the best bit. Actual games! I don't play CoD, but after the previous 50 minutes anything other than sport and tv looked pretty damn good. Dynamic maps is something I would love to see applied more broadly in gaming.

It would seem I'm not alone. http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/ign-poll-result-75-disappointed-with-xbox-one-reveal

The majority of gaming genres were absent and those they showed were of no interest to me. The presentation missed the ball and the console failed to excite me.

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
Hopefully this will lead to more people trying out the Wii U. A system actually offering something new for gaming.

Seriously, my friend just got one, and between playing Monster Hunter with him on my DS, playing Nintendo Land, and Mario Wii U, I have had such a blast. I'm picking up a wii U, and I recommend it to anyone else. Between this new Xbox peripheral, and PS4 showing us maybe 7 new games(and not necessarily impressive ones), and Wii U getting the one game out of those that I was most excited about(Watch Dogs on wii u? Yeah baybee!) I think it will be two years or so before I even consider purchasing a PS4 or an XB1.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ShadowHamster said:
Hopefully this will lead to more people trying out the Wii U. A system actually offering something new for gaming.
Except games.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
I smell the return of PC gaming!~ STEAM IS MY FRIEND!~ and screw Origin (only have one game on it; DeadSpace3, only because it's exclusive...)

PS4 is still going to be my buy~ lets hope IT don't screw up...

WiiU is considered to me "last gen", so... I've out grown it...

EPIC games... please come back to the PC/Mod community~ I want to see Bulletstorm2 on PC!~