Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
SageRuffin said:
Well... I know what I'm doing next gen. Good thing I upgraded my PC.

I'm not buying the same game twice though (i.e. Skyrim), fuck all that. Even if the PC versions do have access to a fuckton of delicious looking mods.

Query: Hey someone: other than Steam, what's a good game site that has a decent catalog?
There's plenty. Greenmangaming, GOG.com, gamersgate.com, impulsedriven.com, amazon's digital games section. Big plus for gamersgate and GOG is that as long as the game you're buying doesn't need a platform to run (steam, origin, etc) they're drm free. Also they usually have comparable if not better deals and discounts that may pop up on steam.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Corven said:
SageRuffin said:
Well... I know what I'm doing next gen. Good thing I upgraded my PC.

I'm not buying the same game twice though (i.e. Skyrim), fuck all that. Even if the PC versions do have access to a fuckton of delicious looking mods.

Query: Hey someone: other than Steam, what's a good game site that has a decent catalog?
There's plenty. Greenmangaming, GOG.com, gamersgate.com, impulsedriven.com, amazon's digital games section. Big plus for gamersgate and GOG is that as long as the game you're buying doesn't need a platform to run (steam, origin, etc) they're drm free. Also they usually have comparable if not better deals and discounts that may pop up on steam.
Sounds good. I'll have to peep those sites next time I get a chance (gotta finish ranting to a friend on Facebook first). Thanks for the info. :D

Dragon_Nexus

Jul 17, 2008
Owned a Ps2 and Xbox 1. Had a huge library for the Ps2 and a smaller one for the Xbox, but I liked my Xbox more overall. Hense, I bought a 360. A wise decision, I think. I love my 360, it has great games and great experiences on it. I was fully prepared to watch the conference and pre-order an Xbox Infinity right afterwards.

Okay, I didn't do that. But the conference was interesting. I liked that it could do because I don't already own a Smart TV and such, so it was like when my Ps2 happened to have a DVD player and I'd thus far still been buying VHS tapes. Nice bonus.

And then the day after they reveal what the software is designed to do.
I don't think I've ever been so depressed as a gamer. You must log in once a day? you can't borrow games from a friend or lend them out? Can't buy a second hand, out of print game? While none of these *really* affect me since I'm connected 99% of the year, don't rent, rarely lend games or borrow them and don't tend to buy used, I absolutely object to buying a console that considers this practise a good thing for the industry.

The Xbox One went from a "I'll see what the games will be at E3" to a "Oh god...I don't even care any more...!"

Halo's a long standing franchise for me, I love the gameplay and the lore, I have many happy memories with it. But I'm not buying a console just to see the continuation.

I hope to god the PS4 does none of this draconian DRM bullshit. I don't *want* to jump ship, I want to stay on the platform that has my favourite franchises on it. But I absolutely cannot support this DRM crap they're pushing.

I fundamentally disagree with DRM. Steam is perhaps the only video game related thing that uses DRM well. Everyone else uses it as a method of control. It certainly isn't for preventing piracy, because God knows it fails at that. Anti-consumer controling DRM should be shunned at all costs.
If the Ps4 also goes this way, I'm not getting a Wii U. I might have to start hoarding wired Xbox 360 controllers to keep my new PC gaming trend going.

Thank you, Microsoft. Thanks so much for turning me from an avid supporter of the Xbox brand into someone who rejects it utterly in just 48 hours. Thanks for making me question my future as a gamer. Thanks for potentially ruining my hobby.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Don't forget that Microsoft are essentially limiting their audience to the US as most of the TV and Sport features are only available to the US. Not even North America, Canada and Mexico can't access these features, let alone features that the 360 currently has. Microsoft is essentially killing what little of the global market the Xbox has with all these crazy restrictions. This isn't even counting out the potential used-games crippling feature, shutting down even more parts of the world that can't afford games on such a luxurious level, or the confirmed lack of backwards compatibility.

At the risk of sounding like my old Sony-fanboy self, at least the PS4 is a game centric hub with some media attached to it, rather than a media hub that happens to play games. Far as I know, Sony is at least working on a cloud-based solution for their backwards compatibility when they purchased Gaikai, though it most likely won't be a day one feature. They've seemed to learn a lot from the previous generation of what they did, focusing on the gaming experience while throwing in some nice little extras. Just like how you can't beat CoD by being CoD, you can't beat media hubs by being media hubs, you need to focus and specialize in what the competition isn't giving.

I wouldn't even say console manufacturers are trying to be PCs, they're more trying to be like phones where you share and download all the latests apps to view. Except the phone can travel anywhere, the Xbox has its fatass stuck in your living room.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Corven said:
Big plus for gamersgate and GOG is that as long as the game you're buying doesn't need a platform to run
All GOG games are DRM free; they don't sell Steamworks games. Even their AAA games are DRM free.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Well, this is what I'd already decided for myself. Thanks for reinforcing my opinion that I need to get a PS4 to replace my Xbox 360. They basically said all the wrong things.

Here's hoping Square is working on a Final Fantasy XV for PS4, because if they do I'm buying one the next day.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Aptspire said:
So... I see no reason to give them my business. It's sad to have a 12 year consumer to business relationship end this way, 'mais c'est la vie.'
They will need Half-Life 3 as a console exclusive for me to care at all about their television device.
Considering Valve has made it clear they don't like Windows 8 or Microsoft but seem to like working with Sony, the PS4/PC would be the most likely systems to get that xD

OT: Yeah I knew Microsoft were stupid after Windows 8 and I knew they would pull some dumb moves, but even I didn't expect such a failure of their system that it was a K.O. of the XBone by Microsoft themselves. It's like Sony and MS got in the ring ready to fight and on their first punch MS missed and knocked themselves out. Sony wins by default.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
This pretty much sums it up for me. At this point, there is no need to get a new console. If I were going to, it would be a PS4. I am a gamer. Microsoft didn't really speak to me with that reveal. Unless some killer app comes along, I'll look into investing in a PC.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
I predict that the XBox One is going to fail miserably, and I want to be there when it does.
It'll be amazing to watch it crash and burn. I got popcorn if anyone wants some.

It's just like a train wreck; it's horrible, but you can't look away. Except we'll all be laughing about the whole thing.

Also, the timing of that slow clap was brilliant, Jim. Absolutely brilliant.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Sprinal said:
It not allowing resale of products. Is that not against the law in the EU?

I seem to remember that a couple of years back the EU passed a bill that required the Resale of digital products.

I may be wrong here but if the xbone doesn't allow that it could face problems in the European countries completely?

Thus eliminating some 500 million people... a very large market?
Well considering they'd basically already eliminated it by having a bunch of features that'll won't probably only work properly outside the US ("TV, Sports, TV, TV, Sports, TV!"), I don't think they much care. Congratulations Microsoft, you've made a console exclusively for rich Americans, enjoy your potential customer base of around 70 million, most of whom don't want or need your product.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Hit the nail on the head and you didn't even talk about all the stupid things they are doing. Personally I would never have a device with a high res camera and a microphone attached to an internet connected device that I don't have ultimate control over. At least on my computer I can unplug my webcam/mic and still use my computer.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Delcast said:
Why can't I compare them, they are two next-generation console reveals, are they not?

And, taking the presentations themselves alone, I found them pretty much equally as disappointing.

As for all the other shit surrounding it, I'll wait until the dust settles a bit before that considering all the contradictory shit that has been going around that I've seen.
The PS4 is pro gaming and developers so more games come out on it, whats so disappointing? Is not seeing what the plastic outside looks like so important that it overshadows that they have answered the important questions regarding weather it needs online (it doesn't), weather it allows used games (it does) and weather its focused on gaming with a decent hardware spec to back it up (which it does as well). I mostly play PC these days and use my PS3 for the exclusives and I already plan to get a PS4 to continue that trend as its clear M$ has just failed completely. Seriously when your stock drops and your competition raises 10 points + after you announce your next big thing you know you've blown it.

EDIT: Typo at the start xD

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
craddoke said:
Xbox One: It only makes sense as a Rube Goldberg-worthy plot to invigorate PC gaming and sell Windows machines.
That actually has been discussed in Podtoid, where Xbox 360's successor is merely a ploy to boost PC sales.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
Well done Jim! I still haven't watched the big reveal of Xbox One but everything I've heard about it makes me want to buy it less and less, so I guess I should thank Microsoft for saving me some money by revealing all of their idiotic marketing strategies and designs of which you and the public which has done a great job of examining and dissecting.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
Red X said:
Oh, apparently the Xbone has to HAS TO connect to the internet once every 24 hrs.
Or it....self destructs?

Do they really need, I'm not even sure what to call that it's not really drm...but it is for a console?