Jimquisition: You Should Be Mad at Diablo III's Always Online DRM

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
I must say im split on this issue.

On one hand I agree with Jim, and especielly on the note that "If Blizzard always expects me to stay online when playing their game, they should always be online when I play the game". The server and lag issues so far have been quite unacceptable, and the counter-argument against this seems to be frequently be: "Well duh, of course there was gonna be issues with the servers in the beginning".......which really isnt a friggin counter-argument at all, as its pretty much a certainty that Blizzard could forsee this fact when gamers could do it, and that it just about annihilates any reasonable excuse for them to not be prepared for the release.
That its a greedy tactic to not spend extra money to prep for a heavy release and just let the problems exist as the traffic flattens out and the problem "fixes itself" is becoming painfully obvious. And its very much not okay.

As for DRM as a concept: Yes, Diablo 3 has it and I cant possibly see how someone can reasonably argue wether it has it or not. Its right there, obvious and simple.

However, the part im split about is wether a constant online connection for singleplayer is the sneaky DEVIL(or Diablo, hurrhurr) and ambushes gamers trying to have a fun singleplayer experience. While I can agree that its a bit sucky to have it for singleplayer, the concept and idea of it is not hidden, its not very discreet, so I dont agree with people that react with surprise and then cry out "but I dont waaaannaaaa, I didnt knooooow". The "Its right there on the box"-argument may be a bit dickish and more well-used then "...then I took an arrow to the knee"-quotes, but in its core its still pretty effective in dismantling players that say they were ambushed by this.

In the end however, I agree with Jim's main point: Its a sucky feature, and just because we accept it to play the game(because we're left with little to no option if we actually want to), doesnt mean we shouldnt raise our voice in protest. Just like with the servers: Yes, the issues were predictable, but that doesnt make it okay. It makes it the exact opposite of okay.

So I vote in favor of voting not in favor for this feature. But a trillion people still buys it and you can bet Blizzard are gonna think like every other company on the planet: "Money first!1". It will only be an issue for them if it becomes a serious issue for enough people, and if the people it is an issue for voices their concerns loudly enough, or takes action.
And not to end on a pessimistic note, but the chances for that happening are close to zero.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
As much as I've loved Blizzard games in the past and as much fun as I had playing the first two Diablo games I just couldn't bring myself to buy Diablo III. It just seemed like a bad idea to force you onto their servers for what has always been a great single player game until now.

Sorry but even if a game is fun there are some hoops I don't want to jump just to play. I hate to see things go bad for Blizzard, but I really don't want other companies thinking this is a good idea so that you have to log on for everything.

Finalz

May 21, 2012
I have a question for everyone, What happens when Blizzard decides that it will not support Diablo 3 anymore, (I do not care why, i can come up with 100s of reason why but that is not the point).
The point is if they stop supporting this game then even though I bought the game I would never be able to play the game again.

The always online DRM is the only reason I did not buy Diablo 3.

Another thought for everyone, what was the fun part about Diablo 2, was it blizzard?s server games, or was it the mods that people made and gave out freely to all?

Well I am off to play a good aRPG, Dungeon Siege 2 Broken worlds, with the Aranna Legacy Mod.

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
Man ... I really hate Jim's voice / inflection in his videos, but he has a valid point in regards to Blizzard's always-online DRM.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
As usual, Jim is dead on. The Diablo 3 Launch was an unmitigated disaster for not only Blizz, but PC Gaming as a whole. The people defending Blizz are as misled as Fox News viewers.

Furthermore, Blizz has a history of running one of the most stable MMORPGs and a number of games with online components. There is no excuse for their failure here. Just like there is no excuse for the game lagging when I'm playing alone.

bells

Jul 10, 2009
llagrok said:
You just have to love these desperate arguments.

"You bought the game so you have no right to complain."

"You were informed about a bad feature so you should not complain about it."

"It's their game so you can not complain."

How does knowing that there is a required online component mean that you do not have the rights to complain when it does not work?
Because the complaint is not that it does not work, it's that it does not work perfectly. and it shouldn't be there.

But hey, if you want to gloss over, over simplify and twist around what other people say... go right ahead, says more about you than it does about anyone else....

The point is that people are complaining that it shouldn't have to be always online. D2 had separate Online and Offline characters, that was enough of a solution. But Blizzard didn't want to take that route. People also complain that the server doesn't work 100% perfectly all the time... and if you are not blinded with bullshit and doesn't live under a rock for the last 20 years, then you should already know that faulty servers are common on EVERY SINGLE big online title that comes out on the first weeks.

Here is the point... if blizzard wants they can make the game fully online even if it doesn't have to. They can make it so you have to enter a 23 digit code every single time you turn on the game, it's stupid, but they can. Everyone knew this well in advance. And faulty online servers are common place if you have ANY knowledge of online gaming around big launch titles in the last 2 decades. They shouldn't be, but they are. Again, we all knew this.

And yet and again... Most Pre Ordered game of all time. So, people are butthurt to complain about something that not only they already knew it was there to happen, but they were also fine to pay UPFRONT for it.

So, yeah.... you bought and now you complain? Your fault.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Finalz said:
I have a question for everyone, What happens when Blizzard decides that it will not support Diablo 3 anymore, (I do not care why, i can come up with 100s of reason why but that is not the point).
The point is if they stop supporting this game then even though I bought the game I would never be able to play the game again.

The always online DRM is the only reason I did not buy Diablo 3.

Another thought for everyone, what was the fun part about Diablo 2, was it blizzard?s server games, or was it the mods that people made and gave out freely to all?

Well I am off to play a good aRPG, Dungeon Siege 2 Broken worlds, with the Aranna Legacy Mod.
Blizzard has a pretty good history in regards to supporting their old games. Yeah though, 15 years from now you may not be able to play Diablo III and that is a shame.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
bells said:
llagrok said:
You just have to love these desperate arguments.

"You bought the game so you have no right to complain."

"You were informed about a bad feature so you should not complain about it."

"It's their game so you can not complain."

How does knowing that there is a required online component mean that you do not have the rights to complain when it does not work?
Because the complaint is not that it does not work, it's that it does not work perfectly. and it shouldn't be there.

But hey, if you want to gloss over, over simplify and twist around what other people say... go right ahead, says more about you than it does about anyone else....

The point is that people are complaining that it shouldn't have to be always online. D2 had separate Online and Offline characters, that was enough of a solution. But Blizzard didn't want to take that route. People also complain that the server doesn't work 100% perfectly all the time... and if you are not blinded with bullshit and doesn't live under a rock for the last 20 years, then you should already know that faulty servers are common on EVERY SINGLE big online title that comes out on the first weeks.

Here is the point... if blizzard wants they can make the game fully online even if it doesn't have to. They can make it so you have to enter a 23 digit code every single time you turn on the game, it's stupid, but they can. Everyone knew this well in advance. And faulty online servers are common place if you have ANY knowledge of online gaming around big launch titles in the last 2 decades. They shouldn't be, but they are. Again, we all knew this.

And yet and again... Most Pre Ordered game of all time. So, people are butthurt to complain about something that not only they already knew it was there to happen, but they were also fine to pay UPFRONT for it.

So, yeah.... you bought and now you complain? Your fault.
I would say that it's the people who bought the game who have the most right to complain. That's just common sense though isn't it, something the game industry is obviously exempt from in your mind? Would you complain about a TV you DIDN'T buy?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
When you get right down to it, Jim is correct. I felt a similar jab of annoyance when Starcraft II came out and I couldn't play single-player without logging into Battle.net. I don't need fucking supervision to play a game I've played for. It's like buying a car and having the police follow you home with it, taking copious notes of every detail from your license to your home address. It's fucking ridiculous.

Not buying Diablo 3. Not for any kind of statement, but because the game looks unimpressive and not worth my time or money.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I've made a decision- if I go to play Diablo 3 single player and I can't, I'm going to call customer service and explain to them how stupid it is that I can't. Gonna use a few points from this. Namely "it's not my problem that you don't know how to handle piracy".

I suggest everyone that owns/loves Diablo 3 does the same.

bells

Jul 10, 2009
Crono1973 said:
I would say that it's the people who bought the game who have the most right to complain. That's just common sense though isn't it, something the game industry is obviously exempt from in your mind? Would you complain about a TV you DIDN'T buy?
Not when you complain about something you already knew you were buying. At that point... common sense went out the window already.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
bells said:
Crono1973 said:
Not when you complain about something you already knew you were buying. At that point... common sense went out the window already.
Nope, you can buy something and not like everything about it.

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
I'm going to assume the main reason those of us who didn't buy the game are mad and have the right to be mad is this:

You know goddamn well that what Blizzard has done with this previously awesome franchise is evil and wrong in every way, but you fucking validated it with your disposable income. They don't have to fix it. They don't have to make it up to you for failing everybody. They probably don't even have to make another game for one more decade. You will all continue pouring your money into their prefect pockets. Other developers will see this and may follow suit. The quality and playability of our games will continue to decline.

I'd tell you to hang your heads in shame, but despite the buyers remorse you know you feel, you'll stubbornly give us a shit eating grin and continue enforcing bad behavior from the people we pay to entertain our brains.

Tommy Lynch

Aug 25, 2011
On the Skyrim topic: I know more than a few people who would have done anything to get their hands on it asap so if it had been delayed it would have caused even more controversy. especially among console fanboys, had the ps3 version been delayed while xbox and pc versions were released, the fallout would have been awful. now i know this statement reeks of the eat shit and like it rant Jim gifted us with but id rather enjoy a somewhat laggy Skyrim (I was lucky and had virtually no problems in this regard, my game ran smooth but i'm aware that many suffered) than a late Skyrim. Therein lies the problem, people wait five to ten years for sequels the developer is aware of this and knows it can push the boundaries cos the fans wont even allow complaints to be heard nor will they be able to resist buying it even though they may be aware of severe faults. So until we gamers can restrain ourselves the publishers will never learn.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Spot-fucking-on Jim! I agree completely, DIII's DRM is absolute flying cow shit and at this point I have resigned myself to no longer take place in future of gaming if this is the way games are going to end up. Fuck blizzard, the weak knee'd pussies they are and fuck craptivision who no doubt contributed to this shit-storm of horrid DRM.

bells

Jul 10, 2009
Crono1973 said:
bells said:
Crono1973 said:
Nope, you can buy something and not like everything about it.
And yet, buying something KNOWING of a feature and then COMPLAINING about that EXACTLY feature you KNEW was there WAY before you payed UP FRONT for it, is just plain stupid...

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Jim, you made a good point and I liked the way you presented it. It would have been a much better idea to have an offline mode and I chuckle every time when I think about Jay Wilson's statement "Online is the best way to play the game, so why wouldn't you want to play online?"*

However, because it was announced months beforehand that they were going to need an internet connection, the consumers should have made a much bigger statement before paying for it.