Jim's Magnum Opus

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011

It's the big one, ladies and gentlemen. This is a video that needs to be seen by everyone.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saw it yesterday morning. I am going to show this to parents whose kids constantly play or ask for Fornite things.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I saw this last night. I'm not a violent person but that bloke in the clips where that bloke, Torulf I think is his name, was talking about how to get people addicted to gambling mechanics in video games. He needs a bloody good kicking. What a total scumbag.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Folding Ideas beat him to it by a few months.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Does it matter that a once-joyous and engrossing fantastical art form and pastime has been subverted by predatory capitalism into a finely-crafted manipulative machine of Mammon which has no concern for the lives it ruins? Nah, fuck it, shit's fine.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kwak said:
Does it matter that a once-joyous and engrossing fantastical art form and pastime has been subverted by predatory capitalism into a finely-crafted manipulative machine of Mammon which has no concern for the lives it ruins? Nah, fuck it, shit's fine.
If that's in reference to me, I'm questening Jim's Magnum Opus mattering since the damage is done, the evil is set. I don't think these videos funstion as anything more than a lament. That's not me criticizing these videos, it just puts a spotlight on how pointless of an endeavor it is.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Kwak said:
If that's in reference to me, I'm questening Jim's Magnum Opus mattering since the damage is done, the evil is set. I don't think these videos funstion as anything more than a lament. That's not me criticizing these videos, it just puts a spotlight on how pointless of an endeavor it is.
Except he's been saying it for years and y'all ignored him.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Not a fan of using sad piano music over real people's personal anecdotes. Or any music designed to elicit a specific emotion out of the viewer from a real, troubled experience. It's a lack of faith in the viewer to feel empathy from the words alone and comes off as unfortunately manipulative or a piss take (imho). Not sure if that was Jim's choice or clipped from another source, but it could've very much been more effective without it. The subject shouldn't require such condescension by itself. Even a baseline hum would be an improvement. If someone started playing blatantly sad music over a recording of any of my special talky meetings, I'd be pretty annoyed unless they were openly doing it for laughs.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
CoCage said:
Saw this morning. I am going to show this to parents whose kids constantly play or ask for Fornite things.
But the point will be mooted to them by him dressing up and acting like a fucking dingbat if it?s anything like most of his other videos. Haven?t watched it yet but am planning to, with some consternation.

I?m sure his personality has something to do with his popularity, or vice versa, but him trying to make a serious point in the face of his act is like watching The Joker painting googly eyes on the Mona Lisa at an art exhibit.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
Casual Shinji said:
Kwak said:
Who's this 'y'all'? I've been following him for years, and I can proudly say I've never bought a single lootbox in my life, probably because I'm not into online gaming where most of this shit takes place. The problem is, as genuine as this video and as good as the message is, the genie is already out of the bottle.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I felt sorry for the guy that played FIFA and Call of Duty and how their implementation of gambling mechanics meant his source of joy turned into another source of fighting his problem.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I wonder if any other business could get away with celebrating and sharing their shady and manipulative practices like in this video: a bank detailing how they trick people into predatory loans, a used car dealer giving step-by-step details on how to sell cars in bad condition at a premium price, etc., openly admit to manipulating and abusing consumers.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Lufia Erim said:
Casual Shinji said:
Kwak said:
Not.....really. Criticism of lootboxes has always been a very popular subject in the gaming fandom. ''W'all'' didn't ignore Jim but listened and often pretty vocally complained about lootboxes. But we're not the ones with power and the ones that did have power all didn't listen to Jim. The publishers themselves and many important game journalists were the one not listening. Most ''hardcore gamers'' certainly did.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Casual Shinji said:
Who's this 'y'all'? I've been following him for years, and I can proudly say I've never bought a single lootbox in my life, probably because I'm not into online gaming where most of this shit takes place. The problem is, as genuine as this video and as good as the message is, the genie is already out of the bottle.
This isn't a binary situation in which once a certain point is reached, nothing can be done.

Improvement can be made, but only if people are vocal and insistent.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Luckily EA fucked up with Battlefront 2 and made the lootboxs so shitty that even the general mouth-breathers started to notice. the fact that governments and lawmakers are looking at these things and starting to ask questions is great news. Honestly I think we've reached the peak scumbag in terms of AAA and it will be forced to pull back for a while and try to figure out some other bollocks to try and sell else later.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silvanus said:
Casual Shinji said:
This isn't a binary situation in which once a certain point is reached, nothing can be done.

Improvement can be made, but only if people are vocal and insistent.
It also works the other way. There is still room for things to get even worse.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
CaitSeith said:
It also works the other way. There is still room for things to get even worse.
Well, indeed. The industry has proven that however bad it is, they can make it worse. All the more reason for people to be vocal and insistantly critical.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
What did his sex tape drop? No?

Damn. If only he'd released this video three years ago instead of waiting until socially expedient, and getting aped by dozens of gaming YT'ers who were smaller then, but now just as big if not bigger. His channel growth might not have stalled out and he'd have a reputation as a leading consumer advocate in gaming, as opposed to an industry trend windsock.

Actually, I think that's what I'll call him from now on. Windsock Jim.