Jocks vs. nerds

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Hey, you wanna piss them off OP? Just tell them that fantasy football is basically D&D for jocks. That usually shuts them up. At least in my experience it has...

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
DeanoTheGod said:
Ah! School! I used to revel in the fact that I could name all the 150 Pokemon, and played fantasy games, and collected warhammer 40k, but still could beat most people on the Rugby Pitch...! :p
151 Pokémon. There are 151 Pokémon. Not 150, as so many seem to claim. 151.
Now, to add emphasis to that: 151.

OT: Nerds vs. Jocks being you picked a terrible name for a fantasy football team, and not Nerds vs. Jocks at all, then?
... What?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
EternalFacepalm said:
DeanoTheGod said:
Ah! School! I used to revel in the fact that I could name all the 150 Pokemon, and played fantasy games, and collected warhammer 40k, but still could beat most people on the Rugby Pitch...! :p
151 Pokémon. There are 151 Pokémon. Not 150, as so many seem to claim. 151.
Now, to add emphasis to that: 151.
Lol, I stand corrected... Although wasn't Mew just created for the first movie? I don't seem to remember it being in the original game at all unless you had some sort of cheat device, or won some sort of competition!

Gorog2

May 27, 2009
I live and work on both sides of this spectrum, and I do it to stop the stereotype. I'm a science nerd, and a former state champ in martial arts who works in both a lab and in a sparring ring. This kept and keeps people off my back.
Of the battle of jock vs. nerd, nerds will be the bosses, Doctors, etc. and the future belongs to them.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You should have told the person to fuck right off and named your team the swordfish (if the reference isnt got there's gonna be some extreme disappoint spread).

Anyway, I used to catch shit because I enjoyed anime and videogames yet also liked hockey (though then again, growing up in the US and Pittsburgh in particular I used to catch shit for liking the pens more than the steelers anyway). eventually I stopped caring, and people stopped caring.

Besides, in general about the escapist, i think the view is obvious by how many handegg vs football threads we have from the non-US group who like to flamebait.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I don't really see a problem here except the way the Commissiner[sub]hehehe heresy ^^[/sub]voiced his objection. I don't think it's a smart idea to name a sports-team when no one else would understand, get or like it in your team. It's a team-sport right? Wouldn't you be annoyed if someone named the team something you have no idea about? I mean he was pretty harsh but in my opinion you should have gone for something the team agreed with.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Nouw said:
I don't really see a problem here except the way the Commissiner[sub]hehehe heresy ^^[/sub]voiced his objection. I don't think it's a smart idea to name a sports-team when no one else would understand, get or like it in your team. It's a team-sport right? Wouldn't you be annoyed if someone named the team something you have no idea about? I mean he was pretty harsh but in my opinion you should have gone for something the team agreed with.
I think either I or you misunderstood this thread. Its a fantasy football team, so he's the only person invested in it and his friends have their own teams. Or his friends are in with him in the team and help make decisions, inw hich case this is more of an issue for him to work out with his friends (though I couldnt see why they'd really mind).

Jim Sturtridge

Jun 22, 2011
nerd/geek vs jock shit isn't really a big thing. the bigger divide is among the "Jock Clique" where each individual sport is either preppy/"Bro" aka douche bag sports (Football,baseball,basketball, lacrosse)

the otherwise less stuck up but still mildly preppy sports(That maintain some mild respect for work)- Soccer,wrestling,and possibly track.

The more underground sports- Cross country,swimming, tennis.

Each sport has pros and cons but most of the Preppy sports have the highest concentration of assholes but isn't limited to any of the "cliques" i myself do the underground sports.

i'm also on this website, so i don't get the "geek" crap

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Nouw said:
I think either I or you misunderstood this thread. Its a fantasy football team, so he's the only person invested in it and his friends have their own teams. Or his friends are in with him in the team and help make decisions, inw hich case this is more of an issue for him to work out with his friends (though I couldnt see why they'd really mind).
Aaah I seem to have completely misunderstood the thread. Can someone explain what a fantasy football team is?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Nouw said:
Aaah I seem to have completely misunderstood the thread. Can someone explain what a fantasy football team is?
basically its like if you just made a team out of your favorite players. So you could have someone (continuing from the Football theme) from the Bengals and Steelers on the same team despite them playing on different teams in real life.

You enter into a group (usually for money, but you can do ones for free) and see who does best each week by combining the stats of all your players on your team. There's a whole draft ting where you have to redraft your players (so its unlikely to have guys like Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger all on the same team) with other people and can make trades during the season, hire new players, let players go.

I personally find them to be a headache, so I dont get into them (for money at least). Though from time to time friends of mine will get together and we'll all draft a fantasy hockey team and just see who does best in total scored by all your players, whose +/- total is best, most wins by a goalie, who's PK and PP is best (we each draft a whole teams in general, so for example I have nashville's PK and Pittsburgh PP this year. I've seen in football you can do the same and just draft a whole team defense), and then who has the best individual players.

EDIT: there's a <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_sport>wikipedia page too, cause I probably did a poor job of explaining.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
D.W.M.A Swag Meister said:
i have a peculiar prediciment involving my fantasy football team. as stated im in a fantasy football leauge with my friends who are into sports and i, the only one being into anime decided to name my team something anime related. the commissiner told me i had to change it beacuse no one else gave a shit about anime in this leauge.

has anyone here ever dealt with the whole jocks vs nerds bullshit? is anyone here both into sports and nerd culture?
tell him you have the right to name your team what you want. If he has a problem with it just remind him that you can always pull out of his league and submit a formal complant to his superior, that usually shuts up the jocks:)

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
Jim Sturtridge said:
nerd/geek vs jock shit isn't really a big thing. the bigger divide is among the "Jock Clique" where each individual sport is either preppy/"Bro" aka douche bag sports (Football,baseball,basketball, lacrosse)

the otherwise less stuck up but still mildly preppy sports(That maintain some mild respect for work)- Soccer,wrestling,and possibly track.

The more underground sports- Cross country,swimming, tennis.

Each sport has pros and cons but most of the Preppy sports have the highest concentration of assholes but isn't limited to any of the "cliques" i myself do the underground sports.

i'm also on this website, so i don't get the "geek" crap
Um no, your pretty much wrong on all of that. foot ball, basketball and baseball are the popular sports for sure with the highest prestige, so of course its gonna attract bros they are the most popular sports in the U.S. lacrosse is the least known and it barely gets enough to even have a playable team.

wrestling, is were all the clowns and joksters go, as well as a bunch of nerds. wresttling is also one of the hardest sports in school aside from swimming.

soccer is soccer, its diverse has a decent popularity in the U.S and has some good work ethics behind it.

track and cross country are hardly underground. they have fairly large groups and they are insanely neutral, if your good at long distance running, you join cross country, if your good at sprinting, jumping or throwing discus and shot puts you join track.

swimming is not underground at all, but its damn hard and not very many people can handle it and join easier sports like foot ball or basket ball.

i find your break down of cliques very brash and insanely bias. it makes it obvious that you never played on a team.

the whole geek vs. jocks crap is pretty much nonexistent. sure you might get some people from both sides that clash but generally everyone gets along.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I don't understand sports. How do you win when a team who you had no interaction wins? I feel as if that would be like me saying we won in the war in Germany because I'm American. I wasn't even born during that time, but hell its my team right?

I'm a gamer, I see winning as something you do interactively. However, I grew up in Green Bay, so I do keep on eye on the Packers. If they manage to get to the Super Bowl I watch them, but other other than I never watch sports.

Gomithrus

Nov 2, 2009
If you let the group know I dont think it will matter. It is probably just the commisioner's hang up. Most people who enter such pools just wanna particpate and dont really care who is involved. In fact they prefer a varietu of view on how they handle thier teams. For myself I am play at a very high athletic level (top N. American field hockey league - Vancouver) and I still mostly identify with the 'nerd' crowd. But I have been able to, relatively safely, mingle in both world without any troubles. It really comes down to having some common interests such as your being part of the fantasy league.

Jim Sturtridge

Jun 22, 2011
though my breakdown may have been brash- i've been on most of those teams.
the breakdowns were from attendance of each sport.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I played yugioh, pokemon, digimon and beyblade and brought them to school.
What do you think?

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
The question is how did the commissioner know that the name was related to anime.

InfectedStar

Jul 7, 2011
LilithSlave said:
InfectedStar said:
I really wouldn't consider anime to be "nerdy".
Really? Not what I'm used to hearing.

How so?
It's hard to explain but it just doesn't fit the "nerdy" kind of definition and perspective; if that makes any sense.