John Dies At The End movie

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
Has anyone seen it yet? It's apparently out on itunes before cinemas... apparently that's a thing now. Cool. And weird. But that's fitting. I think it said it'll be out in cinemas late January... in America. In Australia, we won't be so lucky, if Trollhunter and Cabin in the Woods are anything to go by. "Movies like this" (ie low budget but insanely awesome) take a year to get here, and we only get them on DVD. We probably won't get it till October, either. Still, I want to see it, adaptation notwithstanding (adaptations of books seem to be hit or miss, while adaptations of games and musicals seem to be mostly miss... although I friggen loved Sweeney Todd!). The book was such a polarising one, though, and I don't see any reason the film won't be, but it's got awesome-as-hell posters and Paul Giamati, so I doubt it can be *that* bad. They might make it more coherent and workable as a whole, which might be nice... but which will undoubtedly piss off a lot of hardcore fans, but I understand why some fans would hate that - you know, the fans that smoke dope and constantly whinge about "the capitalist pigs ruining the artistic soul of the book by making a movie that makes sense" (or rather, cents), and all that.

:)

My captcha say 'learn from mistakes'. I like the captchas on here.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I've never even heard of it let alone seen it.

But if it lives up to it's title and John dies then I don't need to watch it.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
yeah i seen it
absolutely insane. like drug trip insane. basically just 1 big mind fuck but enjoyable up to the end where it sort of falls apart and becomes a bit generic

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Rawne1980 said:

Oh, you're going to feel so silly if that's not what happens.

Well, I liked the book fair enough, so I'm going to grab my freakiest friends and check it out. It'll be a hoot I'm sure!

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
Rawne1980 said:

Well, I liked the book fair enough, so I'm going to grab my freakiest friends and check it out. It'll be a hoot I'm sure!
But it's called John dies at the end....

But if John doesn't die then why would it tell me he did? Why would the title lie to me like that?

Why does the film title hate me enough to lie like that?

WHY IS IT SO CRUEL?

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
I read the book and it was amazing, I haven't seen the movie but I'm looking forward to it.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Erja_Perttu said:
Rawne1980 said:

But if John doesn't die then why would it tell me he did? Why would the title lie to me like that?

WHY IS IT SO CRUEL?
Maybe we're sick of films and literature being about an unfolding plot and little else. Finding out 'what happens'.

Never heard of the film but the title is promising. Of course it's just as possible the title is there just to be edgy and attract the artsy types, and the film sucks.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
.[/youtube]
I'm in the UK, so I haven't seen the movie. I've heard mixed things about it, but I am a big fan of the book. I don't get what you are trying to say about fans of the book, I don't whinge about capitalist pigs or smoke dope, but I still think the book made sense.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Erja_Perttu said:
Rawne1980 said:

WHY IS IT SO CRUEL?
Maybe it didn't lie? I wonder if the book ever actually specifies what the end is. And even then if he did die it would most likely be at the end. Lifespans are like that.
<--Obviously hasn't read it.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I want to see it, god knows I've seen David Wong shamelessly plug it enough...

However, I don't like the idea of using itunes for it, so I'm stuck waiting for a cinema or DVD release. In the meantime, I should probably continue the search for the book...all I can seem to find is the follow up, "this book is full of spiders".

MrFlibble42

Mar 1, 2011
Like others have said the film is a bit hit and miss. I thought the first half was fantastic though for the ending they had to condense a lot of book and missed out several of the storylines. Molly was also called Bark Lee for some reason as well.

That said, Don Coscarelli did a great job directing with very little funding.

soh45400

Jun 1, 2012
I am waiting for Cracked.com's other movie 'Kill Me Now' with Michel Swaim and other internet comedy groups(would have been better with Loading Ready Run in there too).
From what the writer said about this one(John Dies), others might like it but not me. It has a specific kind of audience in mind.
It does have a sequel called "This book has spiders".

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Rawne1980 said:
Erja_Perttu said:
Rawne1980 said:

WHY IS IT SO CRUEL?
If it helps you sleep at night, I'll tell you that John dies all right. I don't think it's much of a spoiler, seeing it's in the title and all. :)

lechat said:
yeah i seen it
MrFlibble42 said:
Like others have said the film is a bit hit and miss.
Is the movie based on the first half of the book (up to Las Vegas), or does it try to cover both? It would make more sense to do the first half only, if you ask me, since it's pretty much a separate story, but dunno.

MrFlibble42

Mar 1, 2011
DoPo said:
MrFlibble42 said:
Is the movie based on the first half of the book (up to Las Vegas), or does it try to cover both? It would make more sense to do the first half only, if you ask me, since it's pretty much a separate story, but dunno.
The movie follows the book pretty closely up to the point where

Shitload captures them and in the book takes them Vegas. In the film Dave, John, Fred and Amy (Jennifer and Big Jim aren't in it) are instead taken to the mall where shitload tries to get them to open the ghost door. From then on it plays out much like the end of the Korrok part of the book.

So the film does cut out a lot and mash other things together but it has to otherwise the film would have to be 4 or 5 hours long.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
All I know about it is that Jimmy Wong of YouTube fame is in it. Which is funny, seeing as he rose to fame with this:

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
MrFlibble42 said:
DoPo said:
MrFlibble42 said:
The movie follows the book pretty closely up to the point where

Shitload captures them and in the book takes them Vegas. In the film Dave, John, Fred and Amy (Jennifer and Big Jim aren't in it) are instead taken to the mall where shitload tries to get them to open the ghost door. From then on it plays out much like the end of the Korrok part of the book.

So the film does cut out a lot and mash other things together but it has to otherwise the film would have to be 4 or 5 hours long.
OK, actually I see this makes sense. Just jump up to the final bit. I'm cool with it. Well, I suppose they could have just ended with the normal Vegas thing, but it probably seemed like too much of a happy ending, so they chose the latter one. I'd miss the shadow people, though. Anyway, I plan on seeing it when available, seems good enough so far.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I'm very excited to see it, but I'm holding out for the theatrical release, and go see it with a few friends probably.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Rawne1980 said:

But what if at the end....John DOESN'T die? :eek: You won't know unless you see it, or some arse spoils it.

And i haven't heard of it either.