John Funk's Five Favorites 2010

Shrifes

Jul 4, 2008
You just earned extra respect points from me. I haven't played Galaxy 2 or Halo: Reach but I'm hard pressed to disagree with anything on that list except maybe the lack of Mass Effect 2. Though HG and SS play more like crystal than their originals, which isn't a bad thing.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
PunkRex said:
"The minority are louder" I like that. I suppose thats true, I dont get haters, I mean im very critical of stuff (my brothers constantly having a go at me about it) but just let it be. I love Mass Effect but I think the more time you spend with something the more quilified you are to point out its flaws, just because you can point out its faults doesnt make you any less of a fan and raging at someone just completly destroys any argument you may have.

Haters gonna hate regardless I suppose. F erm.
Exactly. I know all my favourite games (even the hallowed and unsurpassed Homeworld) have some flaws, no matter how minor they may be. There is no such thing as the perfect game, as much as it breaks my heart to say it - and what's more, if a game is ever released that some consider utterly perfect, chances are someone else will despise the game and think it's the worst thing ever made.

Still, with me, I'm just as likely (if not moreso) to fing new things to love about my favourite games every time I replay them as I am to find more flaws. Maybe it's just because I'm a rather positive guy when it comes to quality in games, and books, and what have you. Often, I go on to the internet with the impression "that was a great game!" and then see people saying "X was a bad bit..." and I'll go "Wow I never even noticed that". Hell, I never seem to notice FoV and framerate in games, ever.

I try not to rage at people unless they really, really annoy me. Hence, I rage at the Half-Life fanbase more often than I'd like.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
PunkRex said:
"The minority are louder" I like that. I suppose thats true, I dont get haters, I mean im very critical of stuff (my brothers constantly having a go at me about it) but just let it be. I love Mass Effect but I think the more time you spend with something the more quilified you are to point out its flaws, just because you can point out its faults doesnt make you any less of a fan and raging at someone just completly destroys any argument you may have.

Haters gonna hate regardless I suppose. F erm.
Exactly. I know all my favourite games (even the hallowed and unsurpassed Homeworld) have some flaws, no matter how minor they may be. There is no such thing as the perfect game, as much as it breaks my heart to say it - and what's more, if a game is ever released that some consider utterly perfect, chances are someone else will despise the game and think it's the worst thing ever made.

Still, with me, I'm just as likely (if not moreso) to fing new things to love about my favourite games every time I replay them as I am to find more flaws. Maybe it's just because I'm a rather positive guy when it comes to quality in games, and books, and what have you. Often, I go on to the internet with the impression "that was a great game!" and then see people saying "X was a bad bit..." and I'll go "Wow I never even noticed that". Hell, I never seem to notice FoV and framerate in games, ever.

I try not to rage at people unless they really, really annoy me. Hence, I rage at the Half-Life fanbase more often than I'd like.
Yup, funny how people can point out flaws you didnt notice in the slightest. Not sure it really fases me though, ive never realised something later and gone "oooooooh mutha fudger" although I dont play as many games as id like and only on about three occassions have I ever stopped playing a game because I didnt like it. Damn you Battle Stations Pacific, you LIED to me and now your 2 achievments are a stain on my 80% plus record, sad times.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Very nice list, more in my taste than the first one. Still no ME2, but I guess it's more of an experience than a favourite...
Oh, and an extra top 5 from Yahtzee would be awesome!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SoulChaserJ said:
Where's Yahtzee's favorites???
Though a hilarious writer, excellent critic and awesomely talented part of The Escapist's umbrella, Yahtzee is not part of our editorial staff.

dcrane

Sep 8, 2010
WTF? Not a single new IP game on the list? Remake after remake after remake... These people (and I'm especially looking at you Blizzard) don't need any more plugs to get us to part with our money. I hope the rest of the reviewers found at least one independent game they could appreciate this year.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
dcrane said:
WTF? Not a single new IP game on the list? Remake after remake after remake... These people (and I'm especially looking at you Blizzard) don't need any more plugs to get us to part with our money. I hope the rest of the reviewers found at least one independent game they could appreciate this year.
ITP people who don't understand the concept of "favorites"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
dcrane said:
"Snoopy Flying Ace" isn't independent?

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Gxas said:
John Funk said:
Funk, I feel that we would get along wonderfully if we had met in high school.
^ i agree....and the whole ive seen a group of people who have never touched the game get excited while watching it thing....is 100% true...i had a class my senior year of H.S (last year) and we watched the pro's play SC2 Beta....me the teacher and 1 other person had played the game before....the WHOLE CLASS would huddle around the projector screaming and yelling YEAHHHH WHOOOO GO TERRIN....the best part was an amazingly good looking girl was in that class....and normally when she walked in someone would say something....if SC2 was on....she got nothing....nothing from anyone except...OMG DID YOU SEE THAT.....ahhhh love that game

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Thats the first thing I've read that made me consider buying reach.

With the exception of Reach I was able to predict the other games on Funks list. Funk did a good job of explaining his choices.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Good to see Mario Galaxy 2 getting some love. I tend to run into the anti-Nintendo crowd often on the internet, so I just got used to the (this was an actual comment) "Mario Gay-laxy sucks!". I'm not a PC gamer, I can't comment on WoW and SC2, and while I didn't like Reach that much, it was still good. Overall a good list.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Well I liked 4 of the 5 of these games. Though I've only ever played WoW at a friends house. But not so much halo as I don't really play FPSs.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Nice, I dislike 4 out of 5 of these games while I love 4 out of 5 on Russ' list. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I'm kinda surprised that I guessed almost all games on both Mr. Funk and Mr. Pitts' lists. Then again, most of the staff does have rather specific tastes.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
and this is the reason why you should release wow expansions in January, not in December, they block up the top x despite the fact that most people didn't play them a lot till the end of the next year people start complaining they can't pick the wow expansion.
despite that, nice list. I even played reach also i usually don't play shooters on consoles(the controls are just not for me)

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Really great list, John. Covered everything really. And finally someone giving Mario and Pokemon some credit!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Hey, he has the same favorite starter as I do! (Empoleon)

Also, Halo: Reach's ending was probobly the best ending ever.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
John Funk said:
SoulChaserJ said:
Where's Yahtzee's favorites???
Though a hilarious writer, excellent critic and awesomely talented part of The Escapist's umbrella, Yahtzee is not part of our editorial staff.
Also, he does a yearly "award show" that lists his favorites... if you could call them that.