John Oliver Torpedoes Hollywood Whitewashing on Last Week Tonight

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
008Zulu said:
I don't think it's the roles not being available, it's the availability of good black actors.
DAMN! Mic dropped! Seriously though, that probably isn't the case. Though I do remember a bunch of years we saw the same black actors go to awards year over year. But it must outright be racism since it's 2016.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Baresark said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
I don't play the break down everything game, I'm sorry.
You prefer to present a wall of your opinions without being contested? You should try something other than a forum.
My point is that I'm not going to spend huge amounts of time on a post so that you can simply ignore the message as whole and argue with points as if the exist in a vacuum. I'm fine with defending my points, I'm just not going to do it in a way that wastes my time.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I was born in the US but I'm Chinese, and I actually don't give a crap. I don't cheer verbally or mentally any time an Asian person gets a non-minor role. In fact, when hearing about seasoned Chinese actors getting any notable role in an English-speaking movie, my first instinct is to wonder whether their English fluency or anything else about their presence will be distracting to the overall movie.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Baresark said:
Though I do remember a bunch of years we saw the same black actors go to awards year over year. But it must outright be racism since it's 2016.
I haven't seen a lot of movies the last year, so I can't recall how many of them had black actors where the movies could be considered as "Oscar worthy". Generally action movies or comedies don't get nominated, at least not for Best Actor/Actress. It would probably take an industry insider to answer this question, but, are black actor applying for dramatic roles in movies, or are they sticking with action/comedy movies?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
008Zulu said:
Baresark said:
Though I do remember a bunch of years we saw the same black actors go to awards year over year. But it must outright be racism since it's 2016.
I haven't seen a lot of movies the last year, so I can't recall how many of them had black actors where the movies could be considered as "Oscar worthy". Generally action movies or comedies don't get nominated, at least not for Best Actor/Actress. It would probably take an industry insider to answer this question, but, are black actor applying for dramatic roles in movies, or are they sticking with action/comedy movies?
I think they just made some bad choices to be honest. Creed was great, for example. I don't see how Sly gets a nomination but Michael B Jordan doesn't. There were previous years that went the other way though. For example, a few years ago when 12 Years a Slave was first out, there were people on selection committees who basically confessed to nominating it because of it's content not having seen the movie themselves. I think that is a terrible disservice to that movie.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
This whole argument already went on in another thread, but I still feel compelled to post this again.

The Economist decided to actually do some research on the whole "Oscars so white" hoopla, and what they found was surprising:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/01/film-and-race

Bottom line: not only are blacks actually nominated for Oscars roughly in-line with their population %, they are actually OVER-represented as Oscar winners compared to their population %.

In actuality, it's Asian and Hispanic actors who are the groups most severely underrepresented for both being nominated and winning Oscars.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
DemomanHusband said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Counterpoint: Slumdog Millionaire. Try something new, it might work.
That's not so much a counterpoint so much as it is a 'gotcha', and even then it's a poor one at that. Slumdog Millionaire is hardly the same kind of movie as Gods of Egypt.
...And? Why would that be a prerequisite for my point to apply?
Because, you need to state what 'trying something new' is when you're comparing Slumdog Millionaire to... Oh dear, I've been mixed up! I read the bit you replied to and for some reason my brain switched out 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' for 'Gods of Egypt'. I feel a bit silly. Still, now I must ask what context you're trying to get across when bringing up Slumdog next to Exodus: Gods and Kings. You can't just throw a movie's title out there and say 'debate over, I got my point across impeccably!' As for the whole 'Educate yourself' bit, I wasn't saying you were like that, I was saying you were close. Just by the way you type, you seem like the kind of person who saw the phrase 'Brevity is the soul of wit' and assumed that meant no explanation was needed for your views at any point in time. You've still failed to prove me wrong, since I'm not really seeing your idea of how Slumdog Millionaire in of itself can help the team behind Exodus: Gods and Kings 'try something different'.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Baresark said:
Please, do tell me how we are supposed to quantify what happened in the past and turn that into some sort of catch up system? We can't.
And on your very first sentence you forgot the very basis of this whole discussion. Remember, the title of the segment is "Why is this still a thing?" If it didn't happen any more it wouldn't be a problem, but it does. The question at hand is how is this still a thing?

We can either choose to be even minded going forward or not to.
I agree. And nothing about the current system is even minded

Even minded in this case means not cherry picking for one side over the other. It means either freedom of expression or strict adherence to some system of racial or cultural guidelines.
Neither is happening at all right now. Minorities are screwed on both fronts.

I love how we got to see examples of this going all the way back to 1950's and everyone is like, "That's offensive".
We also get to see examples if this happening literally this very year. Most of the examples provided in that clip were within the last decade, a few in literally in this or the last year.

No shit it's offensive, but there was segregation back then and any kind of Asian actors in the US were entirely non-existent, it was cool call Native Americans "Injuns", must I really go on?

It doesn't actually make sense to take examples from a completely different era of how things were done, done in ways that are not considered acceptable in the modern world circa 2016, and then try to make the argument that it's so horrible because look at this thing that happened. It honestly just actively ignores any amount of progress since that era, and that progress has been substantial in ways that I don't think people are entirely cognizant of. No one said it's done either, but John Oliver's video ignore any progress treating today as if it were still 1950.
The point of bringing up old examples along side new ones is to demonstrate that the same shit is still happening, that we have failed to address the problem adequately. Some overt racism has been eliminated, true. Thank god we have managed to move past black face. But the problem is no where near solved.

If anything, this is just proof as to why award shows are completely useless, but everyone flocks around their televisions to watch them like lemmings. If anyone is offended by what happened, they only have themselves to blame because anyone who watches those shows are the problem, no matter how offended they may find it.
Did you even watch the John Oliver segment? He spends about 20 seconds on the award show and immediately moves onto addressing the deeper problem of white washing in general. It isn't just the award show, it is everywhere.

So far as the Storm Trooper thing is concerned: That arose from an era of people who grew up on the prequels. Older people like myself know that by the time episode 4 came out, on the timeline there were no more clones. Those people argued from a place of complete ignorance to Star Wars, which was completely ridiculous. The media clamped on it hard though because it's awesome to find any example of racism so people can go, "AH HA! SEE IT! IT'S RIGHT THERE!". Even though the people who made those arguments represented very small minority of the people who are fans of Star Wars.
Please, I have seen multiple people on this very site complaining at the so called forced diversity in the new Star Wars movies, Thor movies, and even Hermione being played by a black woman in a god damn play even with JK's blessing. Don't tell me this attitude isn't prevalent.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ThatOtherGirl said:
Yet another person who is afraid to just put their thoughts on the internet in a cohesive manner. I'm sorry, same thing as with the other guy, I don't do that break down stuff, it's more trouble than it's worth.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
shintakie10 said:
L3D said:
Zhukov said:
Oh Escapist. You folks know your audience.

The Tom Cruise as the last samurai bit was hilarious. Although I always thought that movie was supposed to be about a white guy in Japan. I've never seen it.
Yes, Tom Cruise was a white American officer in the movie, so Tonight Show people didn't see that movie either? They were wrong about that and they used that as final punchline, I was with them to that point, but that kinda ruined the entire thing for me.
Tom Cruise was a white American, yes. However he was the Last Samurai. All the other Samurai in the movie actually were killed off. He's the last one. In a movie with Asians out the ass the whitest guy ever is the last member of a very culturally Japanese group.

Fuck that.

The point of that was the Last Samurai was a movie set in Japan, steeped in Japanese culture and the conflict between Japans past and its future. In all that the story focused entirely on the white guy and after everything is said and done, the white guy is the one who saves Japan's soul.

Again. Fuck. That.

People losing their shit over the inverse is also the most infuriating thing ever. How many people lost their collective shit (the bad way) over Heimdall in Thor being a black guy instead of yet another white guy? Or for a really recent thing, look at the shit the people who made Hamilton have been dealing with. They cast every character (except King George) as a poc and they've been getting shat on for "distorting history" despite the fact that they never seem to bat an eye when Hollywood casts a white person as a Native American.
The funny part is, that movie is pretty popular in Japan. Each hostel I stayed in when I would travel away from Tokyo would have it in their dvd library.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Zhukov said:

The Tom Cruise as the last samurai bit was hilarious. Although I always thought that movie was supposed to be about a white guy in Japan. I've never seen it.
Yeah, I think they chose a bad name for that movie, as the title character is Ken Watanabe's character, not Tom Cruise. I don't think many Japanese people have a problem with that movie, I think it was mostly Americans. But that scene bit was F-ing hilarious I have to admit.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I don't care what anyone says about it, I still maintain that Idris Elba would be an incredible Bond. The accent is perfect and he can really pull of the likable smugness thing that make Bond's shit puns work.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Baresark said:
ThatOtherGirl said:
Yet another person who is afraid to just put their thoughts on the internet in a cohesive manner. I'm sorry, same thing as with the other guy, I don't do that break down stuff, it's more trouble than it's worth.
You refuse to address issues point by point? You don't break down complex issues into their simple parts in order to effectively address the issue? That is an... interesting way to do things. It is completely counter to efficient discussion and massively increases the chance of miscommunication.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The Almighty Aardvark said:
It's probably worth noting the difference in the population demographics. I can't find exact numbers of the number of white people living in India, but it's less than 3%, and most likely a lot less than that, given that the "other" category lists Mongolians first. On the other hand, only something like 65-70% of the United States is white. When you consider how few roles there are for non-white people, it shouldn't be hard to find something like a black actor for 1 in 10 characters.
You're mixing terms though your numbers are pretty darn close, 64% is non-Hispanic white and around 9% is Hispanic White. And Hollywood absolutely hires Hispanic White people.

We just don't notice because White Hispanics can look like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/AlexisBledelSept11TIFF.jpg/220px-AlexisBledelSept11TIFF.jpg

Alexis Bledel is a pretty good example but we have a ton of very skilled White Hispanic people in the movie industry if you ever look it up.

So the approximately remaining 27% is comprised of all other races. That's not really that diverse.

However, this also isn't necessarily fair. The demographics of actors may not line up with the national demographics.

Likewise, while India may have a much less diverse population, they have such a large population that their 3% other population would be something like 15% of the US population. That's only around 7% different from the situation we're facing numerically.

Additionally, I don't know what the actual rates of casting are for lead roles. For example, how many movies have minority cast members and is in comparable for the population?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Fox12 said:
Zhukov said:

Eh, it was, but it's a little bit silly that a random white guy from America travels to Japan, and becomes the best samurai in about three months. Then there's a battle, and he's the only survivor
wasn't the entire movie about how the japanese samurai picked him up (as he was an enemy) and tried to raise him in their culture so he could know what he was fighting agaisnt, and he ended up joining them in defending from the foreign assault?
IIRC it was kind of a personal story

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
teh_Canape said:
Fox12 said:
Zhukov said:

Eh, it was, but it's a little bit silly that a random white guy from America travels to Japan, and becomes the best samurai in about three months. Then there's a battle, and he's the only survivor
wasn't the entire movie about how the japanese samurai picked him up (as he was an enemy) and tried to raise him in their culture so he could know what he was fighting agaisnt, and he ended up joining them in defending from the foreign assault?
IIRC it was kind of a personal story
I can see what they were going for, but it's still a little absurd that he's mastered both swordsmanship and the Japanese language over the course of the summer. He even kills three guys single handedly with a sword, and when the battle comes, he's the only survivor. It would have been more plausible to have him be a war time reporter working for the government, who happens to be fluid in multiple languages before the story starts. Then he gets captured, and the Samurai keep him around so that he can tell their story. But then we couldn't have a scene where Tom Cruise fights with a Samurai Sword.

Also, the film tries to tie the death of the Native Americans to the death of the Samurai, but the comparison falls flat when you remember that the Samurai were basically slave owning war lords.

I don't think the film was white washing Japanese history. In fact, I thought the premise was really cool. I just thought it was a little silly that an American masters the Japanese culture in about two months, all so that we could have an American action hero.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Fox12 said:
the Samurai keep him around so that he can tell their story.
The samurai keep him around so that they can learn about western battle tactics in order to combat them.

Fox12 said:
when the battle comes, he's the only survivor.
Yeah, but more for plot convenience than anything else. It's not like he was able to survive because he was superior to the Samurai, the story just needed the Samurai dead and Cruise alive. Plot armour I think it's called.

teh_Canape said:
he ended up joining them in defending from the foreign assault?
Not really a foreign assault, nor defending. The Samurai attacked the newly formed Japanese army who were using western weapons and tactics. I suppose you could argue they were defending against a foreign assault on Japanese culture?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
wulf3n said:
Fox12 said:
the Samurai keep him around so that he can tell their story.
The samurai keep him around so that they can learn about western battle tactics in order to combat them.

Fox12 said:
when the battle comes, he's the only survivor.
Yeah, but more for plot convenience than anything else. It's not like he was able to survive because he was superior to the Samurai, the story just needed the Samurai dead and Cruise alive. Plot armour I think it's called.

teh_Canape said:
he ended up joining them in defending from the foreign assault?
Not really a foreign assault, nor defending. The Samurai attacked the newly formed Japanese army who were using western weapons and tactics. I suppose you could argue they were defending against a foreign assault on Japanese culture?
Yes, I understand that. I was offering an improvement.

The plot convenience is the issue. It would make more sense for him to observe the battle from a hill as a reporter. Instead he goes to battle, and manages to be the only survivor, despite having the least amount of training with swords and armor, because plot convenience.