John Oliver Torpedoes Hollywood Whitewashing on Last Week Tonight

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Fox12 said:
Also, the film tries to tie the death of the Native Americans to the death of the Samurai, but the comparison falls flat when you remember that the Samurai were basically slave owning war lords.
If you think that's not a fair comparison, then you don't know much about native american culture.

Look up the Cheyenne military societies sometime. Or the Aztec Empire, if you want to go further south.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Baresark said:
Haha, it's ridiculous. You can't complain about white washing while simultaneously defending traditionally white characters cast as people of color. Either you have faithful representation of characters or you do not. Either you have accuracy or you have artistic interpretation, holy shit.

Also, that last Samurai joke was lifted DIRECTLY from Chappelle's Show, in a segment called Mooney on Movies, with famous comedian and writer Paul Mooney. How are you gonna have a story complaining about racism, then not acknowledge that a joke was lifted by a white guy from a black guy.

Furthermore; Gods of Egypt is not represented as historically accurate, you dumbasses. I really like John Oliver and his show, but sometimes the guy and his writers are just wrong about things.
Its all well and good to ***** about this when you're the dominant group. Try being the one that rarely ever gets to see people that resemble. Then do that for your entire life and watch as people that don't look like you or share anything about your life pretend to do just that.

Its infuriating and disheartening to rarely, if ever, get to see people like yourself in major roles. Worse, if you die see them then half the time you're stuck watching moderate to extreme stereotypes at play.
Except as someone who's not in the majority I do frequently see people other other races as leads in movies. Does it bother me? No, not at all. I care about how well they act and how well the movie is done. I couldn't care less if the cast is all white, black, Mexican, Asian... Whatever. Now if they're doing a movie about a specific culture or one that takes place in a place where people are mostly a certain race they should try to match that.

In specific discussion to the Gods of Egypt here's a picture that game up when I googled Egyptian People
http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Middle-Eastern-Faces.jpg
There are so many different looking people and a lot of them do look pretty pale...

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Why was the role of Heimdal "Blackwashed" (for lack of a better term)?

Because Idris Elba was one hell of a good actor.

If the work is purely fictional, there should be nothing stopping the casting agencies in picking whoever they thing is better suited for the role.

And it works both ways, so that means we can have a movie set in fictional/mythological Egypt, cast entirely by Scandinavians, and a move about fictional vikings cast entirely by people from Uganda.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ThatOtherGirl said:
Baresark said:
ThatOtherGirl said:
Yet another person who is afraid to just put their thoughts on the internet in a cohesive manner. I'm sorry, same thing as with the other guy, I don't do that break down stuff, it's more trouble than it's worth.
You refuse to address issues point by point? You don't break down complex issues into their simple parts in order to effectively address the issue? That is an... interesting way to do things. It is completely counter to efficient discussion and massively increases the chance of miscommunication.
If you say so. I don't like to spend extraneous amounts of time just with syntax. It detracts from the discussion, in my opinion.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
The Last Samurai isn't whitewashing, lol. None of the japanese characters were played by white coloured humans.

I would say 47 Ronin is a better example. They should have made Hiroyuki Sanada the main dude. They had to make the plot fit their casting of Keanu, rather than casting to the story.

DemomanHusband said:
ThatOtherGirl said:
Let's take the specific example of all the massive hate Finn got for being a black storm trooper. Why are storm troopers white? Can anyone even answer this? We never see a single trooper out of uniform throughout the entire series of movies. How the hell is a storm trooper a traditionally white role anyway? Is it because the extra's you can never actually see in the movies happened to be white? For that matter, were they even white? Were there no black storm trooper extras? Are these people just entirely full of shit and looking for the thinnest veil possible so they can go on a racist tirade?
Weren't all stormtroopers kind of retconned into all being Jango Fett clones like their prequel versions? Finn suddenly being a storm trooper rather than, say, a rebel plant or anything else is kind of weird when it was already established in the prequels that clone troopers went on to serve the Empire. The weird thing about the retcon is that it was easy to do, since you never saw a stormtrooper out of uniform, like you said. But then to double down on your retcons so that you can make your new lead into a defector without having to hire a most likely older actor as one of your male leads is... pretty strange, actually. Other than that, I honestly believe the hate that Finn got was manufactured. Isn't J.J. Abrams incredibly outspoken about that sort of thing?
Stormtroopers were clones. How far in the future is TFA from the clone wars? I doubt there are any clones left. I was under the impression that all stormtroopers in A New Hope and beyond were all conscripts or volunteers.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
This whole argument already went on in another thread, but I still feel compelled to post this again.

The Economist decided to actually do some research on the whole "Oscars so white" hoopla, and what they found was surprising:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/01/film-and-race

Bottom line: not only are blacks actually nominated for Oscars roughly in-line with their population %, they are actually OVER-represented as Oscar winners compared to their population %.

In actuality, it's Asian and Hispanic actors who are the groups most severely underrepresented for both being nominated and winning Oscars.
Like the link showed there are some real diversity problem in Hollywood and the acting world in america. But people who talk about it and do stuff like #witheoscar don't give a shit about that. They just want to come out with a "holier than thou" attitude and show off how non-racist they are on social media because its the cool things now. If there was social media 100 year ago they would probably be for racism cause that was in at that moment.

I think they're actually hurting instead of helping, next year will probably see a huge up swing in the Oscar nomination/winner for black (with maybe if were lucky a small increase for latino and Asian), but that's just gonna devalue the Oscar that black eventually win, because whether or not they deserve it people will just consider they got the prize cause Hollywood wanted to avoid another backlash. Giving a prize to someone because there black is just as racist as not giving them one because there black.

As far as the industry work, there's two possibility. Either actor race matter to the audience or it doesn't:

If it does matter, cast white cause there the majority with an even bigger share of the disposable income necessary to buy movie ticket. Especially now that movie are trying to work both for America and china, where black practically unheard of. We might see more black actor in 15-25 year if india economy really pick up, but at the same time Bollywood already got the market covered.

If it doesn't, hire white: There's more white that can afford acting school on top of there being more white that go to acting school just due to number. This means that for every exceptional black actor to come of acting school there's probably 50-100 white one. It has nothing to do with white being better actor but everything to do with history and the ugly baggage that is slavery.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Separate to all this i just can't get behind praising millionaires, maybe i don't connect to actors or celebrities the way others do.
Again separate to this, remember when Resident Evil 5 came out and people complained that in the trailers all the zombies were black, even though the game is set in Africa. I realise there are white people in Africa of course, but the intense pressure for skin colour representation is crazy sometimes, it's stupid how important it is to people.
My only opinion on casting more black people in movies is that it does depend on the role, i think it would be cool to have a black James Bond in the future, but would it make sense? You'd no longer be following the wishes of the original author, if he's aged like Daniel Craig would he have had the opportunity to become an agent after growing up in the 70s/80s, due to his skin colour it's unlikely he'd be chosen to infiltrate the ranks of the Russians or other Bond themed enemies, so then if he's sent to spy on warlords in third world countries i doubt he'd be wearing a dinner jacket and performing Bond style hi jinks at all, the entire franchise would have to change.
Until someone is willing to make that change to Bond or other large franchises, lesser known films like Elephant White will be all we see.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
DemomanHusband said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
DemomanHusband said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Counterpoint: Slumdog Millionaire. Try something new, it might work.
That's not so much a counterpoint so much as it is a 'gotcha', and even then it's a poor one at that. Slumdog Millionaire is hardly the same kind of movie as Gods of Egypt.
...And? Why would that be a prerequisite for my point to apply?
Because, you need to state what 'trying something new' is when you're comparing Slumdog Millionaire to... Oh dear, I've been mixed up! I read the bit you replied to and for some reason my brain switched out 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' for 'Gods of Egypt'. I feel a bit silly. Still, now I must ask what context you're trying to get across when bringing up Slumdog next to Exodus: Gods and Kings. You can't just throw a movie's title out there and say 'debate over, I got my point across impeccably!' As for the whole 'Educate yourself' bit, I wasn't saying you were like that, I was saying you were close. Just by the way you type, you seem like the kind of person who saw the phrase 'Brevity is the soul of wit' and assumed that meant no explanation was needed for your views at any point in time. You've still failed to prove me wrong, since I'm not really seeing your idea of how Slumdog Millionaire in of itself can help the team behind Exodus: Gods and Kings 'try something different'.
Do you think that I wrote that one sentence and expected debate to grind to a halt, or was I making a hyperbolic point?
Well, yes to both points, considering the fact that you just brought that up and didn't say anything else. Is this really a question? Do you think bringing up a 'counterpoint' without fleshing it out in the same post is completely ok?

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
DemomanHusband said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
DemomanHusband said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
DemomanHusband said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Counterpoint: Slumdog Millionaire. Try something new, it might work.
That's not so much a counterpoint so much as it is a 'gotcha', and even then it's a poor one at that. Slumdog Millionaire is hardly the same kind of movie as Gods of Egypt.
...And? Why would that be a prerequisite for my point to apply?
Because, you need to state what 'trying something new' is when you're comparing Slumdog Millionaire to... Oh dear, I've been mixed up! I read the bit you replied to and for some reason my brain switched out 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' for 'Gods of Egypt'. I feel a bit silly. Still, now I must ask what context you're trying to get across when bringing up Slumdog next to Exodus: Gods and Kings. You can't just throw a movie's title out there and say 'debate over, I got my point across impeccably!' As for the whole 'Educate yourself' bit, I wasn't saying you were like that, I was saying you were close. Just by the way you type, you seem like the kind of person who saw the phrase 'Brevity is the soul of wit' and assumed that meant no explanation was needed for your views at any point in time. You've still failed to prove me wrong, since I'm not really seeing your idea of how Slumdog Millionaire in of itself can help the team behind Exodus: Gods and Kings 'try something different'.
Do you think that I wrote that one sentence and expected debate to grind to a halt, or was I making a hyperbolic point?
Well, yes to both points, considering the fact that you just brought that up and didn't say anything else. Is this really a question? Do you think bringing up a 'counterpoint' without fleshing it out in the same post is completely ok?
I think that taking a single hyperbolic comment and trying to pretend that I dropped it in a presidential debate is a weak attempt, especially when the first thing you did was make a mistake, then cede part of the point. I value my time more than tyis.
What are you even saying? 'Presidential debate'? Is hyperbole all you speak in? I also only ceded the original context of the point, not the point itself. Are you trying to imply that making a single mistake suddenly makes me worthless in your eyes? I still would really like to know the actual point of your original 'counterpoint'. Why do you keep dodging the question? Is it really so hard to just say what you mean in the first place rather than dropping a single 'gotcha' and hoping you'll be taken seriously?

I must say, you seem a bit mad.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Baresark said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Baresark said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
I don't play the break down everything game, I'm sorry.
You prefer to present a wall of your opinions without being contested? You should try something other than a forum.
My point is that I'm not going to spend huge amounts of time on a post so that you can simply ignore the message as whole and argue with points as if the exist in a vacuum. I'm fine with defending my points, I'm just not going to do it in a way that wastes my time.
Did I snip out any part of your post, or respond to it all? You're ducking, and that's OK, but stop trying to do it on the high road and just run away.
If you say so, chief.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Fox12 said:
wulf3n said:
Fox12 said:
the Samurai keep him around so that he can tell their story.
The samurai keep him around so that they can learn about western battle tactics in order to combat them.

Fox12 said:
when the battle comes, he's the only survivor.
Yeah, but more for plot convenience than anything else. It's not like he was able to survive because he was superior to the Samurai, the story just needed the Samurai dead and Cruise alive. Plot armour I think it's called.

teh_Canape said:
he ended up joining them in defending from the foreign assault?
Not really a foreign assault, nor defending. The Samurai attacked the newly formed Japanese army who were using western weapons and tactics. I suppose you could argue they were defending against a foreign assault on Japanese culture?
Yes, I understand that. I was offering an improvement.

The plot convenience is the issue. It would make more sense for him to observe the battle from a hill as a reporter. Instead he goes to battle, and manages to be the only survivor, despite having the least amount of training with swords and armor, because plot convenience.
I wasn't so much talking about your improvement. I was just under the impression that you were suggesting he was the only survivor due to the skills he picked up with the Samurai.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Fox12 said:
wulf3n said:
Fox12 said:
the Samurai keep him around so that he can tell their story.
The samurai keep him around so that they can learn about western battle tactics in order to combat them.

Fox12 said:
when the battle comes, he's the only survivor.
Yeah, but more for plot convenience than anything else. It's not like he was able to survive because he was superior to the Samurai, the story just needed the Samurai dead and Cruise alive. Plot armour I think it's called.

teh_Canape said:
he ended up joining them in defending from the foreign assault?
Not really a foreign assault, nor defending. The Samurai attacked the newly formed Japanese army who were using western weapons and tactics. I suppose you could argue they were defending against a foreign assault on Japanese culture?
Yes, I understand that. I was offering an improvement.

The plot convenience is the issue. It would make more sense for him to observe the battle from a hill as a reporter. Instead he goes to battle, and manages to be the only survivor, despite having the least amount of training with swords and armor, because plot convenience.
Well here's the thing with mass combat especially when you're dealing with the weaponry used at that era, there isn't a whole lot of skill that comes into play with survival. No amount of skill, or experience is going to help the individual, when it comes to stray bullets, getting stabbed in the back, trampled or being cut down as your allies retreat. Its entirely a matter of luck in that regard. Tom Cruise surviving due to luck, is not far off the mark. Its not because he was "better" than the rest of them, it was because he got lucky. Also I'm sure someone has stated this earlier but I'll state it again. Tom Cruise was not the Last Samurai in that movie, Watanabe's character was. His death was the symbolic death of traditional samurai culture in Japan, as far as the movie's script and theme were concerned.

The other thing is that the Tom Cruise character was based on a real person, a French captain named Jules Brunet, who actually fought alongside the Shogunate forces in the Boshin War. When the shogunate collapsed he stayed behind with what remained of anti imperial elements that formed the Republic of Ezo. He basically was responsible for the training of the Republic's army, and assisted with its defense when Imperial Japan invaded. The west was super involved with the Boshin War, and Meiji Restoration, and to stick your nose up at the roll the west played in that war as white washing, denies a lot of the reasoning behind the events that took place. Sorry a key part of that period was western military influence, both on the field and how it effected the traditionalist culture of the Samurai class. Its not white washing to center a movie around that interaction.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
You are really trying hard here, pal. Yes, I do not wish to engage with you any longer. I thought that was obvious by now. Whatever you think the reasons are, they are completely inconsequential to me.