John Romero Apologizes for Trying to Make You His *****

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
boholikeu said:
Has anyone here actually played Daikatana? I was actually old enough to be able to play it when it came out, but I didn't because people only talked about how horrible it was. They never actually explained why though...
I did play a bit of it way back in the day. It is the only game that I can recall where twice I got stuck in the scenery in one level (like between the back of a cliff and the skybox outside the level). That was probably a blessing in disguise as it made me quit the game out of frustration.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Were people really that offended by it?

Anyway, Daikitana wasn't the best game in the world, but I'd played worse games before and since.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Never hype a game that sucks... Don't they know that?
Now I want Steve Jobs to apologise for the flash free iphone.

LegendaryMan

Jun 30, 2009
oppp7 said:
Wow, only 10 years late. Good to see you're quick about this kind of thing.
Yeah unlike the folks at 3d realms.

I bet they will never apologise for not releasing Duke nukem forever.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I think that ad is fucking awesome. It certainly prevailed the ages, even though it might be arrogant. Still brings a smile to my face from time to time. Fuck, I like that it's arrogant. Anyone that's offended by this has to buy some new self esteem at Wal Mart for 9.99$.

As for the people that bad mouth Daikatana: How many of you have actually played it? Stop pretending like it's important to you, or that you know how much it sucked. I haven't played it, don't pretend I have and don't have any connection to it whatsoever.

Woodsey said:
That offended people? What a bunch of pussies. If I'd of seen that at the time and I was older (I was only 6) I'd of had a slight smirk and moved on.
Amen.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
boholikeu said:
Silver Patriot said:
boholikeu said:
Has anyone here actually played Daikatana? I was actually old enough to be able to play it when it came out, but I didn't because people only talked about how horrible it was. They never actually explained why though...
Ok so if you have some spare time I suggest you watch this LP of Daikatana. It's not only funny, but informative.

Lets Play Daidatana [http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Daikatana/index.html] Each section has a video link. The google ones are still up but the Vimeo ones were removed.

Daikatana Ep 1 [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2728775402731694033#] (Google Video)
Ugh, okay, now I understand.
Yeah. It's. . .it's interesting. I watched through the whole thing and while that's no subsitute for playing it, I think I understand the whole "the example of industry waste, arrogance, and incompetence" thing. Combined with the marketing statagy (which I think would be perfectly fine today if they made a GOOD game) and it paints a picture.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Great! Now will he appologise for the game itself?
The game wasn't as bad as I was led to believe (but it WAS far from good). That said, I purchased ten copies (at $2.99 each) and handed them out one christmas as the geek equivalent of Fruitcake. The reactions I got alone was worth the thirty bucks.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Now that that's out of the way...

Where is the apology for dragging Looking Glass Studios down with your sinking Daikatana ship, John? On you knees and beg for forgiveness!
Daikatana I can forgive, but LGS' demise? NEVER!

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
The game wasn't great, but it was passable from what I've heard. It wasn't ET for the Atari, it was just another mindless shooter (albeit with a very long development time and an insufferably arrogant marketing campaign.)

Let's just say that I appreciate Romero more than Molyneux now. The former at least learned to not spout baseless hype any longer.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Well at least he didn't wave a gun in peoples' faces to promote the game. I think that should take the torch of the new "worst marketing ever."

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
So... now we got that cleared up, shall we force some other Game Developer to apologize for a monstrosity?

Calumon: Oooh! Ooooh! Bobby Kotick! Bobby Kotick!
Bobby Kotick might take some time - I mean, he'll be saying sorry for his evils for months!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
It's not so much that people were offended, it's more that he was so damn sure his game was going to kick ass that he thought he could put that as an ad. Ah well, at least he finally decided it was better to own up to it.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Hey, at least he did something genuinely interesting and out of the ordinary. An incident like this will be remembered by virtue of it being so unusual. So he shouldn't feel pride about it, but he can know that he's forever secured his place in gaming folklore.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Didn't want to do it? It was approved by you. You're the one who thought it was a good idea. Don't try to backpedal this just because the game's industry made you their *****. You're a fucking dinosaur, Romero. Go out with some fucking dignity.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
So... now we got that cleared up, shall we force some other Game Developer to apologize for a monstrosity?

Calumon: Oooh! Ooooh! Bobby Kotick! Bobby Kotick!
I can go farther back than that. I'd love to hear an apology from Trip Hawkins for buying up and wrecking some of my favorite devs.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
I remember seeing that ad in PC Gamer and thinking that it was writing a pretty big check. Granted, at that time everyone thought the game was going to be mind-blowing.... oh how wrong we were.

Anyhow, Daikatana was god awful, but I can't hate the creator of Doom and Quake for that. John Romero's okay in my book.