John Romero Apologizes for Trying to Make You His *****

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd rather that he apologized for failing than for trying.

God knows, there are enough obnoxious blowhards in the gaming industry without dredging up the ones in the past, though.

The best apology would be something worth playing on a system I actually want to play it on.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
So... now we got that cleared up, shall we force some other Game Developer to apologize for a monstrosity?

Calumon: Oooh! Ooooh! Bobby Kotick! Bobby Kotick!
I still think we should get the people who made Shadow the Hedgehog (The game, not the character) To apologize for making that game...wait a second *prods Calumon* Where do i know you from?

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Terramax said:
Were people really that offended by it?

Anyway, Daikitana wasn't the best game in the world, but I'd played worse games before and since.
There are always those people who take offence to every little swear word.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
Man, Romero, as well as Carmack and the others at id are legends! The 'Masters of Doom' book is a great read, at least from a developer point of view, such pioneers of game development are allowed to make epic mistakes once in a while :D

I'd also recommend reading the full article (not just the blurb) at gamesauce (some cool old dev sketches and memorabilia to boot), a true passionate indie game developer back then (not sure about future endeavours, we'll see I guess).

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
A little late Romero? No matter, better late than never. Though I suppose he has been sorry since it's release.

Crystalgate

Feb 7, 2009
halo3rulzer said:
Terramax said:
Were people really that offended by it?

Anyway, Daikitana wasn't the best game in the world, but I'd played worse games before and since.
There are always those people who take offence to every little swear word.
I will note that the ad is a really bad idea regardless of whether or not people take offense from it. If you hear that person A is making person B his *****, the intuitive assumption is that it's a good deal for person A and a bad deal for person B. The add puts the gamers as person B which sends to them the message that the best course of action is to disengage. Disengaging from Romero means not buying his game and not being his fan.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Scrythe said:
Didn't want to do it? It was approved by you. You're the one who thought it was a good idea. Don't try to backpedal this just because the game's industry made you their *****. You're a fucking dinosaur, Romero. Go out with some fucking dignity.
Well put ... Its a shame its taken him nearly a decade to even see that the situation isn't as rosy as he thought.

nielsvk

Nov 10, 2009
Damn, I'm old. I already had 10+ years of games behind me when it came out. I believed the anti-hype and never played it. Smiled at the add, understand the bad rep from it, but I never held it against Romero. People make mistakes, this was "his" big one. It's a shame to see these things to be a career-killer. Glad to see he moved on.

And this is not the first time he spoke out over Daikatana, admitting he made a big mistake with the ad...

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
So... now we got that cleared up, shall we force some other Game Developer to apologize for a monstrosity?

Calumon: Oooh! Ooooh! Bobby Kotick! Bobby Kotick!
Romero is human and cares. Kotick is a buisnessman and thats it. No soul, no love, just pure greed. He will only apologize that he did not succeed in obtaining every dollar ever.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Anticitizen_Two said:
Ah, Daikatana. Exhibit A of why FPS's for the most part suck.
To criticize an entire genre on one game is a horrible and sad thing to do.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Miumaru said:
Anticitizen_Two said:
Ah, Daikatana. Exhibit A of why FPS's for the most part suck.
To criticize an entire genre on one game is a horrible and sad thing to do.
Well now, who says I'm doing that? The phrase "Exhibit A" implies that there are others, does it not?

Erik Jarnberg

Jun 18, 2010
John Romero has apologized about Daikatana's ad campaign on many occasions. It's well known that the "Make you his *****" thing was conceived by Mike Wilson, the marketing guy, who nagged Romero to approve it despite hesitance. Nowadays, everything people know Romero for is that ad campaign, and people seem to have conceived an imaginary image of his personality, like he's some smug asshole, which is false. It's cost him his career no doubt, and I wonder why people keep dwelling on it.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Erik Jarnberg said:
John Romero has apologized about Daikatana's ad campaign on many occasions. It's well known that the "Make you his *****" thing was conceived by Mike Wilson, the marketing guy, who nagged Romero to approve it despite hesitance. Nowadays, everything people know Romero for is that ad campaign, and people seem to have conceived an imaginary image of his personality, like he's some smug asshole, which is false. It's cost him his career no doubt, and I wonder why people keep dwelling on it.
Erik Jarnberg is right, its Mike Wilson, the guy can do marketing like some sort of completely mental pro.

while being a PR whirlwind he is a rather unsavoury character.

A flame war between a Dev and a Marketeer.
http://kotaku.com/347075/john-romero-and-mike-wilson-bickering-continues