Jon Favreau Not Making Iron Man 3

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Smart move on Favreau's part.

Thor, Captain America, the Avengers... at least one of these is going to be awful. Can't say I blame Favreau for not wanting to waste his time dealing with someone else's screw ups.

Sad Face

Oct 29, 2010
I was afraid of this.

I hope they're not trying to force of bunch of crap into the movie. This is an Iron Man film, not a Every-Marvel-Character-that-ever-existed film. If Marvel keeps that in mind they should do alright. I hope.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Iron Man 3 will disappoint - so sayeth the Crystal Ball. So basically, now there have been 2 blockbuster films, the studios involved want sell the same slices of pizza for the same price but with less topping. This always happens. The "number 3"'s of the Hollowood world are always budget cut throwaways, designed to fund some executives' tropical holidays.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I thought he did a top job both times and made a pair of solid superhero movies that should serve as a template for further endeavours and I'm sad to see him go.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I liked X-Men 3...

Anyway, there shouldn't be an Iron Man 3, period.

1 and 2 were well and good, but 2 ended with a good enough set up for the Avengers movie.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Iron Man 2 was bleh.
The 3rd will most likely be even more bleh.
As far as super hero movies go, Iron Man 1 was a near masterpiece.
It didn't go overboard with the amount of characters, it focused on dialogue and character development rather than explosions, and it rebooted Robert Downey Jr's career!
As far as I can tell, the 3rd movie will just be one long advertisement for just about everything Marvel related.
Hell, SpiderMan will probably just pop out of nowhere and introduce himself into the plot Samuel L Jackson-style.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
gauntsghosts said:
Enjoyed the first; second was a bit too... "oh wow, look everyone, Stark is out of control again!!"

With that said, it would appear that Marvel are trying to transfer comics > film, literally - in that they have crossovers from freakin' everywhere, to the point where you need to watch every film/[buy every comic] just to understand wtf is going on.
Oh I hope not :(

You know what needs to be done? A comic book publishing company has to be made that takes a completely different approach to its characters in order to avoid crap like this.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Iron Man 2 SUCKED. Mickey Roarke was so totally underused and all the action was boring and obligatory. The whole "cross the streams" end fight was too stupid for words. Everything about it just made me feel bad.

Good they are going with a new director. For an example of how to do a sequel right see Spider-Man 2 and for an example of how to do it wrong see Spider Man 3 and Iron Man 2.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Am i the only one who liked x-men 3? thought it was better than the second one anyway.

But on topic after iron man 2 perhaps a new director isn't too bad an idea, it just didn't have quite the same... charm, as the first.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
No Happy Hogan in the next film, I take it?

I was a bit disappointed with IM2, to be honest; I bought the first one on DVD, but the second was just a Zune rental and I won't be getting it for my collection. Maybe another director will take it in a different direction, but unless he/she can stand up to Marvel's idiotic "cross-promotion" drive and insist that IM3 stand on its own merits I don't see it being more successful than the already overly-busy IM2.

-- Steve

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
aaronmcc said:
Super Toast said:
Has Marvel learned anything?
Thirded. These people are fucking stupid. They NEVER learn from their predecessors mistakes. In 10 years time we will have a reboot of the marvel franchises again cuz they've fucked it right up.
Not really.

They learnt they love money. In ten years time we will have a reboot of the marvel franchises again cuz they love money. The same reason we're still getting new reboots of Batman and Superman, the icon sells.

I had kinda expected references and maybe an escalation of events in IM3 revolving around The Avengers and if they do it, I hope they take time to do it well and not make it a clusterfuck. They've handled it brilliantly so far in the rest of the movies though, so I have faith in them to do it again.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I wonder why they didn't ask Shawn Levy to direct Magic Kingdom because he directed the night at the museum films. Whether or not Jon is still on board for Magic Kingdom I still want to see a trailer before making any judgment on Magic Kingdom.

Eicha

Oct 7, 2009
Being an enormous fan of Iron Man since I was a wee lad, and considering how amazing 1 and 2 were, this news is near literally heartbreaking.