Jon Favreau Not Making Iron Man 3

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Pandering is all well and good, a cameo here and there will suffice.

Marvel needs to learn the difference between pandering and fan-service, fan-service will only alienate viewers who don't already have the encyclopedic knowledge of their universe at their disposal, will also for too much content into the script to allow the story to evolve.

Another disappointing but not surprising move from Hollywood's producers

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
He was a good director, yes. Second movie, while not as good as the first, was enjoyable enough. I'm thinking, though, that Jon knew that the script would be some "over the top" drek like X-men 3 ended up being. So, he agrees to step away. I think this a good move for him. Marvel seems to know how to start things, but is awful at finishing them.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
brace for a shitty iron man three movie...

spiderman 1 and 2? awesome. studio plays hardball with spiderman 3.... it sucks
x-men 1 and 2? awesome. new director for third one.... it sucks.

Even going back to the 1990's batman movies, batman and batman returns were awesome, both directed by tim burton. number 3 and four are directed by a different guy.... they suck.

SEE A TREND!?!?!?

getting a new director is fine but a great movie makes so much money you should be hiring talent based on talent, not price. getting a cheap director will result in a cheap-ass movie.

like I said, brace for Iron Man 3 to blow chunks.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Marvel REALLY doesn't get that movies cannot be made the same way as comics. The crossover stuff is a disaster waiting to happen. As for Favreau, I wouldn't want anything to do with it either. This sounds like the same executive meddling that led to Spider-Man 3's heavily flawed plot (though at least it had SOME moments of good writing and film-making in there). Iron Man 2 was already showing signs of this and 3 is probably when we're going to see more unneeded shit.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
If this is true I've lost a lot of respect for Marvel.
Why do people continue to get something profitable, and then refuse to pay what they were already paying for the people behind it to work.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
sagacious said:
spiderman 1 and 2? awesome. studio plays hardball with spiderman 3.... it sucks
x-men 1 and 2? awesome. new director for third one.... it sucks.

Even going back to the 1990's batman movies, batman and batman returns were awesome, both directed by tim burton. number 3 and four are directed by a different guy.... they suck.

SEE A TREND!?!?!?

getting a new director is fine but a great movie makes so much money you should be hiring talent based on talent, not price. getting a cheap director will result in a cheap-ass movie.
Not only that, but there's going to be a LOT more pressure and expectation on Iron Man 3 since its supposedly tying into the Avengers. That's not just 1 franchise; That's 3 others too! A bad IM3 would not only leave a bad taste for one trilogy, but it could cripple 3 others as well!

You bring up an even better example with Spider-man than X-Men. SM3 had a bunch of crap crammed in there but it fell apart, and that's what I fear will almost HAVE to happen with IM3.

Here's hoping that bring in a heavy action-comic movie hitter, because I think this project is going to need some big guns. Or they could just forget about IM3 and just move on the other Avengers. That'd be a safer bet.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Jesus Phish said:
aaronmcc said:
Super Toast said:
Has Marvel learned anything?
Thirded. These people are fucking stupid. They NEVER learn from their predecessors mistakes. In 10 years time we will have a reboot of the marvel franchises again cuz they've fucked it right up.
Not really.

They learnt they love money. In ten years time we will have a reboot of the marvel franchises again cuz they love money. The same reason we're still getting new reboots of Batman and Superman, the icon sells.

I had kinda expected references and maybe an escalation of events in IM3 revolving around The Avengers and if they do it, I hope they take time to do it well and not make it a clusterfuck. They've handled it brilliantly so far in the rest of the movies though, so I have faith in them to do it again.
Well actually I agree that they clearly love money and also they have executed things well so far but don't forget - it's been 3 movies and they already changed who is playing Hulk. As more aspects of the marvel movieverse are revealed things will become more complicated and it is going to be harder to weave all those strands nicely together.

Losing Favs is a bad thing, that much is certain.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
marcogodinho said:
FYI, Favreau said that he hoped to "find something that lights a fire [inside him]" and to "blow people away, which is easier to do with a project that isn't loaded with built-in expectations." Favreau added, "Marvel and I both came of age together. ... The years that we shared were a pivotal experience. Kevin [Feige] has a firm grasp on the many franchises and how they all interweave and I am happy that I had the opportunity to establish the world that these characters can now play in?. Iron Man has given me tremendous opportunities and Kevin and I are enjoying a lot of momentum in our careers thanks to the Iron Man films. I look forward to seeing what others can do playing in the same world."

So, i guess there´s no bad blood between him and Marvel Studios. He just didnt know how to improve the formula and left. I think he made a good move. A lot of people felt that IM2 was an inferior (altough still entertaining) sequel, and the franchise might need a new creative vision to keep things fresh. That said, i enjoyed Favreau´s contribution to those movies and i hope Cowboys and Alens and Magic Kingdom perpetuate his solid filmography.
I'd love to believe that Favs walked of his own accord but you do realise that these people have agents and managers and PR people etc.? These entourage types would literally make it almost impossible for Favs to say "Fuck Marvel, they used me up and told me fuck myself!" It'd be career suicide anyway. So it's better to say something positive and move on. Just look at the whole Ed Norton vs. Kevin Feige clusterfuck. It made both of them look bad but Feige moreso as he come as the overbearing suit oppressing the professional character actor.

CYNIC SAYS:
Next piece of Iron Man news will be that Robert Downey Jr is sacked for costing too much money.
OPTIMIST SAYS:
Favs replacement is Duncan Jones FTW!!!

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
aaronmcc said:
I'd love to believe that Favs walked of his own accord but you do realise that these people have agents and managers and PR people etc.? These entourage types would literally make it almost impossible for Favs to say "Fuck Marvel, they used me up and told me fuck myself!" It'd be career suicide anyway. So it's better to say something positive and move on. Just look at the whole Ed Norton vs. Kevin Feige clusterfuck. It made both of them look bad but Feige moreso as he come as the overbearing suit oppressing the professional character actor.

CYNIC SAYS:
Next piece of Iron Man news will be that Robert Downey Jr is sacked for costing too much money.
OPTIMIST SAYS:
Favs replacement is Duncan Jones FTW!!!
Sure, i´m aware that this might be PR spin, but we can only make an educated guess based on rumors from anonymous sources. We either assume he´s being honest or speculate. As for the CYNIC versus OPTIMIST thing...i dont think i fit any of those groups. I think Downey Jr. is Iron Man´s major box-office draw and Marvel will try to keep him onboard. Favs was extremely important to get the character right, but he´s less visible, therefore more "expendable" to the execs and to the general audience. And while i would love to see Duncan Jones in the directors chair, i think that´s too good to be true. I´ll use the "wait and see" approach. Lets see how this plays out.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
twm1709 said:
It's the #1 rule of the superhero trilogy. The third one always sucks
Thats not true. What about Superm..., ok, what about Spiderm..., ok, what about X-Me..., ok, what about Batma..., ok, ummmm, hmmmm.

Yeah. The deicision to force Favreau out wont bite them in the ass. I wonder if they will force Robert Downey Jr out too.