Jon Snow Ordered by Game of Thrones Bosses to "Stay Pale"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Jon Snow Ordered by Game of Thrones Bosses to "Stay Pale"

Kit Harington, who plays Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, can't turn up to shoot with a tan, he reveals.

While it might be fun to be part of the cast of HBO's critically-acclaimed TV series, Game of Thrones, there are certain drawbacks to it as well. For Kit Harington who plays Ned's bastard son Jon Snow, it's having to constantly look like he hasn't seen sun in months. In an interview with Shortlist, Harintgon reveals some of the things he's mandated by the Game of Thrones' "bosses."

I can't turn up to shoot with a tan...They shove so much mud on your face it doesn't really matter anyway, but yeah, I have to stay pale.

Harington also reveals that for this year's Game of Thrones shoot, he'll be leaving the cold weather of Iceland for the first time and going to Croatia with the rest of the cast for a set visit.

I'm going to Croatia this year. I'm going to do a set visit because I'm sick and tired of them coming back and saying, "Oh we just finished on set and jumped into the sea - it was great!"

Finally, remember back in season 3 when Snow pranced around in his birthday suit? He was asked if he was worried whether his naked body double was out of shape.

The thing is, you have more of a hold over your character than you think. The painful part was watching someone running and walking for me. It's a wide shot and no one will ever notice, but if I think about season three, it bothers me.

Harington can currently be heard in How to Train Your Dragon 2, where he voices "Eret." He will next be seen in the British spy film Spooks where he will play Will Crombie. If you're a fan of the Game of Thrones, make sure you watch this Hodor wants to say if and when he's given a chance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135922-Frozen-Gets-the-Game-of-Thrones-Treatment-in-Mashup-Trailer] to say something other than his name in the HBO series.

Source: Shortlist [http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/kit-harington-the-man-who-would-be-king]

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
My heart bleeds for him.

It seems like an incredibly dull interview if those are the highlights.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I wonder what the target audience is for this article. Nice that he's going on holiday. Good for him, but...was that really all there was to the interview?

The linked article on Shortlist is actually, well...better. Questions about voice acting and the Spooks series, while not particularly in-depth, are more interesting than focusing on his tan or lack of one.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
If having a body double bothers him, couldn't he have just done the nude scenes himself? It's what 90% of the female cast have to do, as far as I can tell. Frankly, GoT needs more male nudity, and considering the fans' fondness for Mr. Harington, I don't think any of them would have complained.

Seriously, Game of Thrones needs more cock. Not even kidding.

Milten

Oct 4, 2013
If I remember correctly, he broke his ankle before shooting season 3 and that's why they used the body double

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Anachronism said:
If having a body double bothers him, couldn't he have just done the nude scenes himself? It's what 90% of the female cast have to do, as far as I can tell. Frankly, GoT needs more male nudity, and considering the fans' fondness for Mr. Harington, I don't think any of them would have complained.

So, what you're saying is that Game of Thrones needs more...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure every major actor in any long-running TV show has similar instructions about what they have to look like.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I'm... yeah, this is one of the most superfluous "news" I've seen on the escapist, the original starts out with VO work and other stuff about his acting career but what seemed important for The Escapist is how he's not allowed to get a tan? really?....

REALLY?

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
First off, this counts as news?

Secondly, making someone look pale shouldn't be a problem for a competent make-up crew. Like, seriously; that's what make-up artists are for.

Just slap some baby powder on him and presto.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah, the chap playing Hurley on Lost (I could open a new tab and look that name up... but nah) was instructed to not loose weight because of the time scale Lost worked on... which was tricky in that climate with all that exercise they were doing.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Jon Snow ordered to stay pale, gets a WoW account... :p

FrozenCones said:
I'm going to assume that Croatia will be the backdrop for Dorne?
Croatia has been the backdrop for King's Landing since the start of the show (the town of Dubrovnik). Also, not really a good fit for Dorne, what with Dorne being a desert and Croatia not really...

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
Anachronism said:

Game of thrones is in dire need of more male nudity, i could not agree more. I think we can all agree (by all i mean every one who likes guys) that we wanted to see Jamie, snow, the viper, knight of the rose and his bf naked.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
FrozenCones said:
I'm going to assume that Croatia will be the backdrop for Dorne?
Dorne will likely be in Spain. http://time.com/2950896/game-of-thrones-spain-dorne/

OT: Well that was pretty obvious. It's not like the Night's Watch have lots of vacation time in Essos.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
A "Spooks" movie! That s very cool... I am looking forward to that
I couldn't care less for Harrington's pale ass

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
Jon Snow, White Walker and King of the North confirmed.

In other news, vote now on your favorite character before the premiere of the next season, if you are lucky George R. R. Martin will make an appearance in season 5 to personally stab your favorite character in the throat!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Grape_Nuts said:
What's so bad about being pale?
Nothing, but its a definite restriction on his activities. No beach vacations for john snow