Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show This Year

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show This Year

After 15 years at the helm of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, Jon Stewart will be stepping down in 2015.

What could be a bigger shake-up to late night television than <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/highdefinition/12756-Remembering-Comedy-Central-s-The-Colbert-Report>Stephen Colbert leaving The Colbert Report? The news that Jon Stewart, host of The Daily Show, will step down from his iconic role this year. Stewart himself made the reveal during the recording of his Feb. 10 episode, which was confirmed by <a href=https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/565296357792284676>Comedy Central via Twitter shortly after.

"For the better part of the last two decades, we have had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart," Comedy Central's post reads. "His comedic brilliance is second to none. Jon has been at the heart of Comedy Central, championing and nurturing the best talent in the industry, in front of and behind the camera. Through his unique voice and vision, The Daily Show has become a cultural touchstone for millions of fans and an unparallelled platform for political comedy that will endure for years to come."

Stewart took over as anchor of The Daily Show - Comedy Central's news satire and late-night talk show - for Craig Kilborn in 1999. Under Stewart's tenure, the series heavily shifted its focus to political and national media topics, becoming an outspoken critic of FOX News and the Bush administration. Despite being hailed as a "fake news" program, The Daily Show's coverage of elections, political processes, and current events made it a definitive news source for a generation soured by 24-hour network broadcasts.

Under Stewart, The Daily Show won almost two dozen Emmy Awards, including many for outstanding variety series and outstanding writing of a variety series. Stewart and The Daily Show also boosted the comedic careers of many on-air correspondents - Stephen Colbert, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134952-John-Oliver-Rallies-Internet-Commenter-Monsters-For-Net-Neutrality>John Oliver, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/highdefinition/12927-The-Nightly-Show-Review>Larry Wilmore, and Steve Carell all being notable examples.

When exactly Stewart will leave The Daily Show isn't clear, although rumors suggest it could happen as early as this summer. Regardless, it's a huge shake-up to The Daily Show, where Stewart has acted as host, executive producer, and one of Comedy Central's most consistent voices for over a decade.

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/565296357792284676>Comedy Central, via <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/arts/television/jon-stewart-leaving-daily-show.html?_r=0>New York Times

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I haven't been able to watch the show since I started working nights but I've been a fan of the Daily Show for most of my life. I wish Jon Stewart all the best on whatever he decides to do next.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not ashamed to admit I actually cried when he announced it.

Jon Stewart has been a staple of my life since I knew enough to care. It was the Daily Show that actually got me interested in politics in the first place.

He will be missed greatly when he finally does leave.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
I hope the next guy is just as willing to not pull punches as Stewart was. I remember he was interviewing that Mad Money guy Jim Cramer over his ineptitude during his interview with a corporate CEO. Cramer was like "Well, I didn't expect him to lie to me..." and Stewart said "You didn't expect a corporate CEO... to lie to you...." Then he rounded off the interview showing clips of Cramer years prior when Cramer ran a hedge fund and was practicing shady, predatory, trading practices and ended the show with "So, your job now is to protect people.... from the you of five years ago."

People like to accuse Stewart of being a puppet of the Obama administration. Except that Stewart has criticized Obama on numerous occasions. Something said critics should know because conservative news outlets love to broadcast with a "See even anti-American liberal demon Jon Stewart hates Obama!!" every time Stewart did such a segment.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Quick, somebody put Bob on suicide watch! Dear God, he might not be able to handle this. Where will he and those like him go to get their worldview reinforced? I mean aside from ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Hollywood, the music industry (aside from most country), TV, half of newspapers, about a third of AM radio, etc.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
LysanderNemoinis said:
Quick, somebody put Bob on suicide watch! Dear God, he might not be able to handle this. Where will he and those like him go to get their worldview reinforced? I mean aside from ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Hollywood, the music industry (aside from most country), TV, half of newspapers, about a third of AM radio, etc.
Wait, if you're here, then who's filibustering Congress? Somebody might do something useful!

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I'm shocked to be sure. Seriously Stewart and Colbert were the only reasons I watched Comedy Central.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
Scribblesense said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Wait, if you're here, then who's filibustering Congress? Somebody might do something useful!
Oh God, they just passed a bill that strengthens equal pay laws. Where the hell were you Scribblesense!? You have failed us!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mid Boss said:
I hope the next guy is just as willing to not pull punches as Stewart was. I remember he was interviewing that Mad Money guy Jim Cramer over his ineptitude during his interview with a corporate CEO. Cramer was like "Well, I didn't expect him to lie to me..." and Stewart said "You didn't expect a corporate CEO... to lie to you...." Then he rounded off the interview showing clips of Cramer years prior when Cramer ran a hedge fund and was practicing shady, predatory, trading practices and ended the show with "So, your job now is to protect people.... from the you of five years ago."
I remember that little throw down they were having. My favorite part was when Cramer said he had never said something (can't remember what it was), and then John responded on his show by find the EXACT CLIP where Cramer said the exact words that John was talking about. John simply turned to the camera and yelled, "F*** YOU!" I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.

I have not watched The Daily Show in a long time because my Dad watches it and sucks the fun out of it, and because the news today has become so depressing that it's not even funny how right John is about things, but I don't deny it is a great show. I'll be sad to see him go, and I hope that whoever replaces him doesn't drown in his shadow.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Scribblesense said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Don't be silly. The Republicans control both houses now so they don't have to filibuster. Instead they can just pass crazy legislation that Obama will veto. See? Broken as intended.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
If it means anything, Larry Wilmore on his show doesn't hold punches back... for the most part. I think they're afraid to let him off the rope on the roundtable. Still, its rather entertaining. I'm sure MovieBob needed some salt when Wilmore said that the Superbowl was between "The Seahawks and the cheaters". Or on, IIRC, his second episode, when, I'm paraphrasing here, he said "Tonight, Bill Cosby, we'll answer the question "did he do it?" The answer is yes." So if you haven't watched it, I'd give it a chance. I'm quite enjoying it, not as good as The Daily Show, but still a very enjoyable show.
I am still unsure if The Nightly Show will continue to keep my interest, but you are right Larry Wilmore doesn't pull punches, but it seems his punches don't have the same impact for me the same way Stewart does. Maybe it is the direction of his show, I am unsure it just feels like its missing something.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Man, and we thought having to fill Colbert's shoes was going to be an issue. I don't envy the guy who has to take up the helm after Stewart.

Middle_Index

Stoner/Metaller
Mar 6, 2014
Gutted. He has been a part of my life for 6 years now... what am i going to do now. nothing short of a legend

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Colbert steps down, now Stewart? There goes about 75% of Comedy Central's viewer base.

Best reaction to the announcement has to be this (sorry, don't know how to embed tweets):
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/565327323084627969

My three favorite moments from the show have to be:

- the bit when a German company had to sell the Muppet brand, and they showed a German version of 'Rainbow Connection' http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/bfx0pj/fozzie-math
- When during his presidential campaign, Herman Cain quoted a line from the Pokemon movie, Stewart went on to suggest lines from it that would have been better http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/meop9j/indecision-2012---oh--the-hermanity-
- The Back in Black segment on how New York is better than Texas http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/bnqfya/back-in-black---new-york-vs--texas

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
Is this an insult or a compliment? I'm not sure. I mean does Death metal have the same political leanings as Charlie Rose which has the same political leanings as the NFL which has the same Political leanings All in the family which has the same political leanings as Rachel Maddow which has the same political leanings as Survivor which has the same political leanings as the Voice which has the same political leanings as Eminem who has the same poltical leanings as Calliou? This is a very vast ... something.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
It's really interesting to see the end of an era. While comedic in nature this was the nightly news for a lot of young people for quite a while. Now with Colbert and Stewart gone it will be interesting to see if the younger generation starts to slip out of touch with what's going on. Let's be honest traditional news is hard to consume, Stewart and Colbert were able to package the info into a portion that was palpable and it was effective. At least we still have Oliver, but he's only on once a week and the show goes on hiatus quite frequently.