JonTron takes a hiatus from GameGrumps

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
And it seems like the show will continue with Dan Avidan from Ninja Sex Party filling in for the time being. How do you feel about this Escapists?

Personally I'm excited because it means more JonTron episodes and Dan isn't half-bad for a replacement.

Edit: I'm only assuming it's a hiatus because Jon said he was "shifting focus".

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I don't know where the misconception comes in that Gamegrumps hinders Jon or Arin from doing their own separate shows.
They only do this once a week, and all the editing is done by Barry.

If anything, Jon probably has a lot more going on behind the scenes that's preventing him from doing his show. That or he wants to move on to something new.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Ehh, on one hand I'd like to say "what a shame". On the other hand, I honestly haven't found GameGrumps to be all that entertaining for quite a while. It started out awesome, but a lot of their recent videos have degraded into Jon and Arin just rambling about random nonsense with gameplay footage in the background. As in, it's sometimes almost painfully clear they don't give a damn about the game they're playing and just use it as an excuse to post videos of them just talking about crap.

I'm kinda hopeful that maybe this will make things better, but I'm doubtful of that.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Nothing against Jon of course, but I got a little bored with Game Grumps so I'll keep an open mind. Having a change like that with a different dynamic might be the shake up the show needs to get me interested again.

Plus that means a lot more JonTron which is never a bad thing :D

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I don't think it's a good show, just two pewdiepies to me ... less screeching but they do this really childish thing of getting some lame idea and dragging it out into this embarrassing, almost nonsensical scenario and when one isn't talking he is just laughing manically.

Find it a bit cringe worthy.

His little bird is a badass ... when he isn't being made into a cyborg. (which is just another lame idea)

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
"This does not affect my main channel!"
While it'll be good to see more JonTron videos, I'm going to miss him in Game Grumps. I have no idea who Dan is, but then I had no idea who Jon was either prior to Game Grumps. Who knows, maybe this will broaden my horizons. Or it might suck. It's too early to tell at this stage. Color me half disappointed, half cautiously optimistic.

This will probably be the first real "crisis" moment for the lovelies/cumfaggots (not an insult, the fans chose those titles themselves). The community will split into the "Jon era" and "Dan era" fans, and much flaming will be had by both sides. You can already see the beginnings of this in the comments section. As time goes by, the "Jon era" diehards will become smaller, but increasingly vocal. Eventually it won't matter though, as the channel gains newer fans prior to the "Dan Vs. Jon" split that are unaware of the controversy.

Hot damn, that last sentence just conjured a truly epic thought. How awesome would it be if the show Dan Vs. had a "Dan Vs. Jon" episode? It will never happen of course, but it would be amazing if it did.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Well that came OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE! I mean, what the fuck?! GameGrumps is only LP channel I watch and some stuff that came out of it was pure gold... But hey, more Jontron show is good... Dammit

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Dragonbums said:
I don't know where the misconception comes in that Gamegrumps hinders Jon or Arin from doing their own separate shows.
They only do this once a week, and all the editing is done by Barry.

If anything, Jon probably has a lot more going on behind the scenes that's preventing him from doing his show. That or he wants to move on to something new.
They have admitted that it drains them of the want to do their separate shows. Jon travels a fair bit, if all of his tales are to be believed, and then when he's back they marathon together sessions of games for the show, so in his case I imagine it's a combination of "things behind the scenes" and "doing Game Grumps", while Arin has openly admitted that he's lazy about doing things promptly and hates announcing anything because it inevitably ends with him never actually doing it, and that playing and recording Game Grumps has made him even lazier about doing animating or voice work.

They have been doing other things (most notably lately work related to Pacific Rim), but recording for Game Grumps is still hours per week that they could be spending doing other things.

OT: I'll be interested in seeing how it changes now. The past few months have felt like a slump anyway, as they put very little attention into the game they're playing, so little in fact that often they don't even use all of the buttons that a game has for abilities...

I don't know anything about this replacement guy, but I'm open for a change.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
That's a shame...I guess. Like SilkySkyKitten mentioned, lately the content of the show just hasn't been funny to me, aside from the World Driver Championship episode yesterday which had the spark of the Old Grumps in it (and helped me understand why some people think they're on drugs when they do the show). There are the occasional flashes of Old Grumps, which is pretty much the only reason I still watch the new episodes day after day. I don't know who Dan Avidan is since I'm not big on the YouTube scene, but it could be interesting, so I won't mind the change at all. Boy though, I wish Game Grumps would do something like the Pokémon Emerald or Demon's Souls episodes again.

Besides, I've always liked Arin a lot better, anyway. :p

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Welp, the first episode of Game Grumps: Dan Edition is here:
It's a bit more subdued (though that could be due to Dan not being entirely acclimated yet), but the amusing commentary still seems to be there.

I'll admit the intro is going to take some getting used to though. Might have been better for Dan to come up with his own "Grump" title, like "So-so Grump."

kamay

Nov 9, 2010
I could never really get into Game Grumps..at all
The only Lets Players I watch on a regular basis are TBFP and Deceased Crab (I don't really count PBG's gameplay section).
I'd much rather watch JonTrons regular videos than the 9000 episodes of Game Grumps that spammed youtube.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Didnt like game grumps it just didnt do it for me but I like some of Jon Trons own videos so more of those are welcome.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009

Ah, good ol' Game Grumps! :D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha-wah wah wah wah wah waaaaahhh! I MISS HIM ALREADY!!! Dx

OT: *Ahem* Right... Well, this came out of goddam nowhere. I find it funny that the only reason why I watched Game Grumps [small](originally at least)[/small] was so that I'd see more JonTron. But now since that's no longer the case...

Though I have to admit, I do like Dan Avidan already. They're gonna have to work with the new opening though, 'cause it's uncanny as all hell. :p

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Stopped enjoying GG a good while back. Too repetitive, too annoying. Shame, because I generally do like Egoraptor and Jontron stuff.

Still, I watched about 30 seconds of a new episode and this new guy looks even more annoying.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
I certainly enjoyed Dan. He had amusing commentary during his first episode and he certainly made me laugh quite a bit. I'll be completely fine with Dan; he'll have a new dynamic that will make Game Grumps feel fresh again.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I unsubscribed. I know it sounds like I'm just being melodramatic but I just really don't care for it now. I had started to get back into Game Grumps recently after not liking it for a while, but now it feels pointless. I might check it out again if I hear it's just as good as ever, but until then, meh.

It'll be interesting though because I always saw Jon as the anchor that often had to stop Arin from reaching high levels of pretentiousness. I wonder if this guy will do the same or they'll go in some other direction.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I wish they could have at least finished Sonic 06 first. Not that they were actually paying attention to the game though, which was always their main problem, and a big one.

Hopefully Dan will makes things refreshing and keep Arin on track, until he too starts to lose interest and talk about random things. Yeah, I think this change was a bit necessary, but I wish they did a slightly extended farewell instead of dropping the ball like that.