Joss Whedon Officially Directing The Avengers

Dirty-Zombie

Nov 26, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
HG131 said:
Why do you keep saying that?!
Because he wrote it. Also, it was awful.
He also co-wrote Toy Story... And he's written quite a few comics including Astonishing X-men. I'm actually quite excited, despite Aliens: Resurrection which you can also blame on Jean-Pierre Jeunet (the director).

molesgallus

Sep 24, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
So they're going to hand the coolest thing in the world to the dude who made the epic fail Doll House? Good lord it's going to suck.....

Edit: Before I upset anyone, this is just my personal opinion. This could possibly be good, but don't expect me to hold my breath.
He also made the epic success, Firefly. And Dollhouse improved massively after episode 4, presumably when Fox got out his way. Honestly, I felt the same for months, then accidently watched ep 5. It improves a lot.

molesgallus

Sep 24, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
So they're going to hand the coolest thing in the world to the dude who made the epic fail Doll House? Good lord it's going to suck.....
Out of interest, how much of Dollhouse did you watch?

The first 6 or so episodes were held back, as Fox didn't want him to advance the storyline. Past that, it's absolutely EPIC.

OT, this sounds awesome!

Although it's slightly disappointing that we'lll never get to see it... with Joss on the team, it'll get cancelled halfway through production :p
Haha. So it's not just me. I assumed Fox had interfered in the first few episodes, they were just so terrible in comparison to the later ones. I felt it got going from ep5 onwards, though. It was like a completely different show.

molesgallus

Sep 24, 2008
Foolishman1776 said:
My prediction, quite simply, all the male characters will either be dumb or worthless, or both. The female characters will all be severely undernourished but will somehow be able to embarrass men three times their size in a fight despite the fact that realistically they'd have about the same effect as a bb gun fired at an M1 Abrams battle tank. Firefly was pretty good (except for the aforementioned anorexic waif beating up hordes of grown men), but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Heck, even the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie was watchable (way more than I can say for the show, which was godawful). So, the way I see it, this broken clock has been the requisite number of times, nothing else good will come of it.

Also, Whedon is everything people hate about nerds with almost none of the good points. He's a boot licking female worshiper who, describes himself as a "male feminist". I don't like female feminists, male ones make me physically ill.
You make me feel warm and fuzzy inside...

molesgallus

Sep 24, 2008
Ulquiorra4sama said:
L1250 said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
If this turns out right perhaps people can forget about that whole Firefly-fias(k/c?)o, cuz deep down he's not that bad of a director.
You must be thinking of a different Firefly than me. You're not referring to the cult classic sci-fi/western considered to be one of Whedon's best creations, are you?
I'm not saying i thought i was bad, but what do you think it was that lead Littlekuriboh on youtube to make the joke "...before you can say "Directed by Joss Whedon") I wouldn't call Firefly a success considering it's run-time on TV
No. It's a success considering it's massive cult following, and huge dvd sales.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Oh, crap... It's gonna end up getting cancelled by Fox. Somehow they'll buy Marvel Studios.

Just like Firefly all over again!! >_<

In fairness to Whedon, though- he's a good choice. He'll handle the characters well.
It'll be interesting to hear about this being developed- although seeing as how there isn't any script... Well, that'll be a while.

OK, I have to say this:
Seriously, Joss... stop going to those wankers at Fox! They hate you!

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009

Edit: Before I upset anyone, this is just my personal opinion. This could possibly be good, but don't expect me to hold my breath.
yes, but he also made Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly....three of th'best shows ever on television...

Firaxus

Apr 12, 2010
This will be the avengers.. but it will be the avengers as applied to the laws and physics of the whedonverse.. IE expect the female subheroes to carry it through in the end..

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Dirty-Zombie said:
Hiphophippo said:
HG131 said:
Why do you keep saying that?!
Because he wrote it. Also, it was awful.
He also co-wrote Toy Story... And he's written quite a few comics including Astonishing X-men. I'm actually quite excited, despite Aliens: Resurrection which you can also blame on Jean-Pierre Jeunet (the director).
I'll give him the Toy Story bit. Fact is though, I can't stand Firefly or any of his other TV shows. I'm just afraid The Avengers will end up like that.

Brok3n Halo

Jul 5, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
Brok3n Halo said:
Mechalemmiwinks said:
He wrote Alien: Resurrection (IMDB). He then blamed all the actors and the director for how bad it was. And it was written bad. BAAAAD. So, yeah, when this guy fails, he blames everyone around him and distances himself from the project.
Wow, that was sooooooooo 13 years ago. People have a tendency to improve as writers you know? Since then he's produced a lot more win than fail:

Win:
Speed (1994) - co-writer (uncredited)
Toy Story (1995) - co-writer
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003) - creator, executive producer, writer, director
Angel (1999-2004) - co-creator, executive producer, writer, director
Titan A.E. (2000) - co-writer
X-Men (2000) - treatment (uncredited)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) - treatment (arguably, I haven't seen it but critical reviews go either way)
Firefly (2002) - creator, executive producer, writer, director
Serenity (2005) - writer and director

Fail:
Waterworld (1995) - co-writer (uncredited) (even though I liked it T_T)
Alien Resurrection (1997) - writer
Dollhouse (2009-2010) - creator, executive producer, writer, director

(Filmography blatantly copied from wikipedia and rearranged)

Win to Fail ratio... 3:1

I consider that pretty good.

Also, because I didn't see anyone crack the joke yet:
"In related news, Fox is looking into possible ways to cancel the movie without closure. More at 11!"
You missed Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog. One of my favorite musicals.

Also Commentary: The Musical!

GENUS!
Ah! how could I forget that! I love Doctor Horrible! Not only was the writing and directing great but had a trinity of awesome as it's main cast. As I mentioned I just copied the filmography from Wikipedia, it wasn't in that section and I didn't notice. But yeah, good call. I had that DVD in my old PS2 in my room for months as "the thing I threw in when I want something entertaining in the background."

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
CJ1145 said:
Oh right, I forgot that this was the Escapist. All you people hate things here for the sake of hatred.
Apparently this was worthy of being reported and then warned for. I feel this proves my point a little too well.

In all seriousness, Joss Whedon's awesome, and everybody makes one flub. That was Dollhouse. I have no reason to suspect from his track record that this will not be awesome. The hatred makes no sense to me.

aithilin

Jul 4, 2009
Mechalemmiwinks said:
Ahem. ALIEN: RESURRECTION.

No, no Twilight Zone here.
Except that there's a difference between direction writing (Whedon), character writing (O'Bannon and Shusett) and directing (Jeunet).

As much as I love Whedon, I think the Avengers are beyond his means to make them interesting. And, with the way current superhero movies are going, it'll all be retconned in a decade.