Journey Dev is Excited For Kinect 2.0

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Journey Dev is Excited For Kinect 2.0

Jenova Chen says the new Kinect is Xbox One's best idea.

Jenova Chen, lead developer of the smash indie hit Journey is excited by the possibilities Microsoft's Kinect 2.0 will offer game developers like himself, who look for new and unique ways of telling stories and playing games. Talking to Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2013/07/01/kinect-hd-is-xbox-ones-best-idea/], he said "I've been looking for an input device that captures the players facial expressions and motions. The Kinect 2 looks like it is finally there."

Chen continued to say that modern games are bound to communicate with with only 16 buttons and two analogue sticks (it's apparent Chen is not a PC gamer...) and that "That's why between the players what we are doing is like beating on each other or shooting each other." Chen thinks that with Kinect 2, having games that can "see" facial expression or nervous twitches, he can ultimately build a better experience.

"Once you can put your facial and body language on top of voice and context, I can see many game being more interesting. Like poker, you see other people and use your skill of deception and calculation. That's useful in real life, more relevant than shooting someone's head off. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of new game that actually uses more real social skills can be done on the console."

The Kinect 2 is considerably more powerful than the original Kinect, and will be included with every new Xbox One. Even Chen was surprised at how good Kinect 2 will be, stating "I honestly didn't expect Kinect 2 to be that much better than Kinect 1."

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2013/07/01/kinect-hd-is-xbox-ones-best-idea/]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Has ever tried a keyboard? I hear they coupled with a mouse are pretty good at gaming.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I'm just wondering why a dev from a team whose previous games have largely been PS3 / PC games is talking about Xbox tech.

EDIT: stop quoting me on this I've already got my answer.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Is it really that hard to understand that controllers and the mouse+keyboard combo will never go away? And not because of some weird reason, but because they are the most immediate and easy way to send commands to a game. Facial expressions mean nothing in a game, and no matter how precisely you can track them, those are too easily affected by your real life condition to be used timely and effectively (and if you don't need quick responses, menus are easier to navigate with traditional input devices anyway). With the fingers of one hand on a keyboard, I can control running speed/direction of movement/crouching/jumping and usually a number of hotkeys, with really quick reaction times. Developers don't work on anything other than the beating/shooting each other because it's a safe bet, because of years of experience in crafting those environments, and because they are relatively easy to create (complex RPGs with branching paths/dialogues are harder to pull off, and the bigger they get the more intricate the hurdles become, and this is just one example), not because the peripherals aren't good enough.

Can you really imagine his parallel with poker having a meaningful impact in a game, and requiring a kinect? What if you have a hard time putting on a natural expression when you are forced to do it? Not everyone is a natural born actor! And the game would still need to interpret those based on presets (there is no way a game can handle "angry, but a bit sad, with a tinge of regret") so you would be better off giving the players a list, making it more intuitive and easy to use.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hey! They finally found someone who likes it!

...But seriously, it technically has a lot of potential.

Evil Smurf said:
Has ever tried a keyboard? I hear they coupled with a mouse are pretty good at gaming.
It'll never catch on.

It's trackball or nothing!

Revolutionary said:
I'm just wondering why a dev from a team whose previous games have largely been PS3 / PC games is talking about Xbox tech.
The Journey crew has been quite down on Sony of late, so this isn't exactly out of left field. I think the Escapist has reported this a couple times. He's mostly talking up Kinect's capabilities, though, a "unique" input device that could lead to different experiences, something that the folks at ThatGameCompany would seem naturally inclined to support.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Been hearing devs say this for 3 years so colour me cynical with a shade of jaded. All I'm haring now is peter molyneux telling me how great fable journey will be.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'd say it's quite important to note here the difference between detecting facial expressions and interpreting facial expressions.

Whilst I'm certain Kinect can do the former I doubt it can do the latter. That Poker game this guy is talking about will turn into an utter disaster with the Kinect likely being unable to differentiate between a nervous smile, an arrogant smile and a smile not directed at the game but in reaction to someone actually in the room.

Let's be honest, most of us still have trouble making out just exactly what the facial expressions of others mean and picking up on their exact emotions quickly. Chances that the Kinect of all things will be able to do so accurately and fast enough to be useful in a game I consider to be astronomically low.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Has Sony released any info on their camera device? Just curious what it can do, but figuring less than the Xbox One. Since the reveal it's pretty obvious that Kinect 2.0 was/is the focus of said console. So it most likely is the more developed of the two. Much like everyone has stated camera control isn't going to be all end all of control schemes. It's novel to be sure, but there has to be better ways. Keyboards and mouse work well enough. Together they do things the other device just can't do. For instance this post. Would the camera need to use voice recognition and type for me. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't exactly speak as clearly as I type. Would the machine have trouble with my slang? Still I can see how devs can get excited about new hardware and devices. Means they can try new things. On that same note you question why they don't just try the new things without waiting for a special device. I'm sure as excited as he is there are devs that are rolling their eyes at the 2.0. Much how Nintendo forces games to use their many gimmicks rather than focus on the gameplay itself. Not every game has to be a full body interactive experience.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Revolutionary said:
Their 3 game exclusivity deal with Sony ran out, so they seem to be looking at other platforms

Anyway, I think if anyone can make a good experience out of the Kinect, thatgamecompany might well be able to. I'll definitely keep a close eye on any project they decide to make for it (if they do)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Seems he and Microsoft are the only ones excited about Kinect.

Revolutionary said:
Money. They (MS) pay a "bit" more money in their exclusivities contracts to uptalk the tech.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Well I have plenty of respect for these guys, but it is quickly being eroded with such nonsense.
It's not nonsense... Kinect 2.0 has a hell of a lot of potential, and could be some of the best tech of the next gen. It's just too bad it doesn't have an off button.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Evil Smurf said:
It'll never catch on.

It's trackball or nothing!
oh god why

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Even though everyone hears "indie dev likes Xbone and Kinect" this could be a good thing. From the last quote it's pretty obvious he's looking at it realistically, and not pulling a Molyneux or promising that 'Milo' game. If there's a dev that can pull off a solid motion game without becoming a twisted PR product or faulty ad for Kinect I'm all sorts of down for that. Good luck.

Captcha: face the music
Welp, even captcha says this is bullcrap.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
but even the thoughts

my dreams

its entering my dreams

you've turned me into the next H. P. Lovecraft
Does that mean I get a cut of your profits when you become a famous horror writer?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lacktheknack said:
but even the thoughts

my dreams

its entering my dreams

Does that mean I get a cut of your profits when you become a famous horror writer?
Are you OK with 6%? If I can find two others to give 6% to, the symbolism will be complete!

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Revolutionary said:
Their 3 games were on a contract with Sony, which was why all of them were on the PS3. However, now they're out of the contract, and while I don't know their current stance with Sony, my guess is they'll be looking for the next big innovative area, whether it be through the motion controls of the Kinect 2.0, or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised to see them making a game for the Oculus Rift. So basically to answer your question, they have no more loyalties to Sony and can voice their opinions on any console they wish.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
lacktheknack said:
but even the thoughts

my dreams

its entering my dreams

Are you OK with 6%? If I can find two others to give 6% to, the symbolism will be complete!
I could remind you of the Virtual Boy, does that bring back nightmares fueling future writing that would warrant a %6 cut my way?