JRPG Dev Promises 400 Hour PSP RPG Before Handheld Dies

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I was just thinking that I hadn't spent nearly three weeks staring at a tiny screen and really had some free time to kill.

I'm not opposed to an epic game or anything, but when your pitch is "this game takes longer to complete than a University course", I think you're doing it wrong. Hell, this game is asking for more time than every lecture I'll be attending this semester. By more than 100 hours!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Youtube video looks HOT. I just wish there was some gameplay.

And please, no Japanese girls screaming in the domestic version. It hurts my ears.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I spent 423 hours on my first playthrough of Oblivion+Shivering Isle, so its not unheard of. Then again Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls I ever played and I didn't realize how simple and retarded it was until I played Morrowind.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Seeing as it's a JRPG, this means only one thing.

GRIND.
In case you missed the article, they are trying to REVITALIZE the genre, not kill the genre.

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
Multiple endings in a JRPG usually means "Do a very specific thing at a very specific time to get this ending."

That's the only reason I dislike games with multiple endings.

But still, that's a ton of content.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
That sounds like overkill for a PSP X-x
I mean, for a console game, I'd be jumping for joy. But systems like the Gameboy and PSP are generally played on-the-go. Still... wow...

But yeah, I agree with JamesCG; most of the time, the "good ending" = doing things in a very specific order...
god damn you, Valkyrie Profile >.<!!

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I kinda regret selling my psp now. I have minimal interest so far but it's probably because I've never heard of this game til now. 50 hours is pretty damn good for a handheld. Maybe if the psp2 is actually awesome I may get it.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Sorry, but I refuse to pay hard-earned money on a full-priced game that's LESS than 40 hours long.

I WANT gameplay. I don't want to play through a game in one sitting, then just have to sell it back to my local EBGames. If I buy a game, it's long-term. And I will put the time into it.

Hell, I haven't even finished Terra's scenario in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep yet. I'm well over 30-40 hours into the game, but I'm fairly certain most of that has been spent customizing my abilities, learning new combo attacks and exploring areas for new content and such.

Y'know, I'll probably do the same thing during Ventus and Aqua's scenarios! Why? Because it's FULL of content.

Imageepoch, I will buy your 400 hour PSP game and I will play it for however long I damn well like. If that means I make it 500 hours, fucking SO BE IT.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Even though there's a trend to treat single player as a 2-3 hour appendix to multiplayer, there are still games that almost overstay their welcome.

I've finished 'Yakuza 2' yesterday and I'm glad I finally did. Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but completing one of them is always wearing me out. Too much to do andmost of it necessary if you want to survive the insane finale.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I think this maybe one of those games that's never gunna get a speed run video on youtube..

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
Idk, if it were by Atlus or Square Enix I would be more excited.

It's been really "hit or miss" with Imageepochs' games and Nippon Ichi hasn't exactly been stellar lately either.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
400 hours? At least you should get your moneys worth for it. Hell, getting 20 hours of gameplay out of a modern game is a rare feat these days. Multiplayer doesnt count kids.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah...

That's not the kinda replay value I like.

I've never replayed a game just for a different ending or dialogue.

Give me dozens and dozens of different combat styles and classes, to make each playthrough feel unique, and then you've got my purchase.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
hmm can i hope for a new game+ that works well? Or hell even a new game +. Either way at least i know ill be getting my moneys worth if the game is at least reasonable.

on a side note, if it does get translated i expect it to take a long long time.

But still from what ive read so far on the game, it will probably at least be interesting.
Im particularly looking forward to the perm death of characters i do not like MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.