JRPG Revival Promised to North America, Europe

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Well atleast we in Europe will get our fair shair atleast...

I just hope the games are good.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Well if the dudes who made the Atelier games are involved, the games can´t be THAT crap.

Also, I don´t get why people whine about JRPGs all being the same (okay, I DO get it, I just disagree and believe this idea stems from very few JRPGs taking up immense chunks of media attention).

Pretty sure any given set of two JRPGs from my librabry differ more from each other than any two FPSs since the 1. Call of Duty (EXAGGERATION, it´s what´s for dinner)

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
JRPGs are riddled with magitek. I'm fine with this. You want to reintroduce JRPGs to the US? Good luck with that.

pirate64

Jan 8, 2010
I really hope that a lot of these are gonna be on ps3/360. recently the only good JRPGs I've found and played have been on the psp(disgaea, valk chorns 2, persona3) and the is nothing wrong with that (I love being able to level up a party on the train)but I would perfer to have a few good ones on my ps3 aswell. the last good JRPG I played on my ps3 was resinace of fate.
So I can't wait for all these new ones to hit the uk....... just please be worth the wait.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I seem to be encased in jade.

I agree with the mediocre titles. Somehow putting the name 'Final' in a JRPG sounds more and more a move of desperation.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I dislike JRPG's, so a "revival" wouldn't do much to me. You can't revive the beaten dead horse if it didn't exist for me in the first place.
Too much of the American gaming population has moved on from the template of, "A ragtag group of spikey haired heroes (with terrible voice acting) wearing something that looks like it went through a blender save the world." Given the focus on morality/choices in story and directly controlled gameplay, I doubt that a slightly interactive movie that masquerades as a game with a lame story would sell all that well.

...especially since they don't.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Fronzel said:
xyrafhoan said:
Black Rock Shooter wasn't received very well, so I can't imagine the game doing super well either.
The anime wasn't received very well (because it was awful), but the character, or rather the character design, was popular even without a story to go along with it. The game could still be good...although I kind of think a fluid action game like Bayonetta would make more sense for the characters. I guess they don't have those kinds of resources.

I only hope they have the liberty and wisdom to ignore the story from the horrible anime.
Which according to information alone, it seems the anime itself was built from the art alone. So thus, the art itself is interesting even if the story was bad. So good luck with it coming out.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm all for JRPGs and what not but can we stop ignoring countries already?
Front Mission 3 was released here in the US on the PSOne, it got put out on the PSN recently except ...not in America.

Breath of Fire 3 was released here on PSOne, when the PSP release came out.....Jap/Europe only.

I'm sure Europe was denied many titles too. Seriously if they're gonna put out a game digitally why not just go the whole hog, it won't cost them anything to produce sheesh.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
In my opinion, as much as one can complain about the cliché, formulaic nature of JRPGs, the same could be said of WRPGs. It's just where they are cliché and formulaic is different. JRPGs often have very shallow plots, while many WRPGs have much deeper plots. JRPGs often envision different, truly fantastic worlds that are often alien to our experience, while many WRPGs just recreate the same Tolkienesque medieval European world(also, the system mechanics of many WRPGs is just DnD). These two examples are just sample comparisons one could make between the two forms; many more exist.

Which one any specific person prefers may come down to which set of clichés and formulae one can stand seeing repeated ad-nauseum. To be honest, I would love to see a cross-pollination of the two forms: take the fantastic worlds of JRPGs and marry it with the depth of WRPGs(but please throw away the DnD aspects. It's nothing against DnD; it's just that it's overused.)

I also have a slight issue with the idea that many of the older games were necessarily better. The older games are where all these problems of cliché and formula originated(I'm speaking of both JRPGs and WRPGs). Also, with the older games, that was a time period in which we were younger, so there is a tendency to look upon such times with a greater level of fondness. Of course, things seem better when you we younger because you knew less, so everything seemed fresh and new. Everything commanded a certain awe and mystery because we knew so little about anything, and our minds were more open and accepting of new possibilities. Now that we are older and different(we know more, think different, have different tastes, view the world with a different perspective, and have different expectations) one can not expect to attain the same level of awe with nostalgic games as we once had playing them when we were younger(often, we ruin our experience by being to overly analytical of older games, focusing too much on the inconsistencies with reality rather than enjoy the fantasy). There comes a point when it is time to move on, to find new experience and new possibilities, rather than waste time and energy retreading the same old things. In order to continue to grow, develop, and evolve, we have to be willing to look forward into the future, rather than spending all our time staring back into the "glory days" of our past(my pet name for this is "glory dazing"). Otherwise, we fall prey to stagnation. (I always find it funny how people complain about wanting something new, but, as soon as you give it to them, they complain that it's not like the same old crap to which they are more accustomed. People want to be entertained or freed of tedious boredom by novelty, but, at the same time, they don't want the certainties that they have built up in their world-view to be over-turned. Unfortunately, these are sometimes diametrically opposite constraints and, thus, irreconcilable; such cases can create significant conflict, both internal and external.)

temporalcrux

Nov 9, 2009
There's no need for a "revival" because JRPGs have never left the system. The simple fact that so many believe they have is just ignorance.

Atlus/NISA are constantly releasing games, GREAT games, but does the mainstream notice? Rarely.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Misterpinky said:
I dislike JRPG's, so a "revival" wouldn't do much to me. You can't revive the beaten dead horse if it didn't exist for me in the first place.
Too much of the American gaming population has moved on from the template of, "A ragtag group of spikey haired heroes (with terrible voice acting) wearing something that looks like it went through a blender save the world." Given the focus on morality/choices in story and directly controlled gameplay, I doubt that a slightly interactive movie that masquerades as a game with a lame story would sell all that well.

...especially since they don't.
ZOMG DASSO NAWT AKURAIT.

It is, of course, but JRPG-nuts can't admit that. They continue pointing out the new and innovative JRPG that sold 5000 copies in Japan, as they go on about how every other genre sucks totally much more badder!!!11!11!
I say "point out" and not "play". Because they don't. Like the proverbial Baptists in the liquor store, they never seem to recognize one another in the GameStop as they all pick up Square's latest bit of mediocrity instead of all these new and mind-blowing games supposedly coming out every day.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I don't know, they can "revive" all they want, but until a JRPG has a combat system that is not turn-based, they may as well just release Chutes and Ladders HD Revolution for all I care. The fantasy elements of many JRPGs intrigues me, but I find the combat systems to all boil down to something not everyone likes (myself included), thus hindering the potential spread of interest. If JRPGs 1, 2, 3, 4, ... 34 are released but all have some sort of turn-based combat, can you guess who the only people will be that buy that up?

It is similar to the WRPG knack of relying on, what I always relate to anyway, Lord of the Ringspiration or, as stated by others, supposedly Dungeons and Dragons. It is also akin to making every FPS like Call of Duty and saturating the market with similar types of gameplay. But if you do not like COD gameplay, you certainly are less inclined to buy shooters 1, 2, or 3 that try that same formula.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
well im closer to proving gods existince if Black Rock Shooter The game is coming state side

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
If a good JRPG gets made that I am compelled to buy... I just might. Its been about 10 years though since I played a JRPG that I actually liked (FFX). Everything after that got on my nerves too much for me to enjoy. :/

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I look forward to seeing these games eventually in Australia. My only question is will they get crummy voice actors like the JRPGs seem to keep getting? I don't know who dubs them but they need to stop hiring sucky voice actors.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
On the PC we've had Recettear (in english) for awhile now. Awesome game, JRPG fans should check it out (if you haven't already ;) )!