JRPG Revival Promised to North America, Europe

temporalcrux

Nov 9, 2009
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
I don't know, they can "revive" all they want, but until a JRPG has a combat system that is not turn-based...
Final Fantasy 13 isn't turn-based, and look at how that turned out.
But how about the "Tales of" games, the Star Ocean games, Dark Cloud, the .hack games, the Mana series, etc....

You're after a hack-n-slash JRPG, which there are plenty of. But if you believe their are only turn-based JRPGs, then you're missing out and I am sorry for you.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
temporalcrux said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
I don't know, they can "revive" all they want, but until a JRPG has a combat system that is not turn-based...
Final Fantasy 13 isn't turn-based, and look at how that turned out.
But how about the "Tales of" games, the Star Ocean games, Dark Cloud, the .hack games, the Mana series, etc....

You're after a hack-n-slash JRPG, which there are plenty of. But if you believe their are only turn-based JRPGs, then you're missing out and I am sorry for you.
Out of curiosity, what consoles (or PC availability) are such games for? It would be surprising if there actually was some mandatory Turn-based status for JRPGs, but speaking as someone who is not a gamer and simply plays games, I never would have heard about many of those or known of their deviation from turn-based combat. The market has grown from the past, so any success will necessitate that a particular JRPG is something special and not just another one of those that typically non-JRPG players pass along the aisles. Look how many games as it stands with a broader appeal slip into the shadows somehow, and subsequently die off or struggle to keep up with the growing market demands. This has just been my personal experience, so it may just be me, but I find that many JRPGs blur together due to a lacking exposure that presents the specific game as any other game worth picking up. After quickly investigating more prominent titles only to discover they are turn-based, I eventually just shrugged it off and to this day tend to glance over most. Just my subjective experience and view though.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Breath of Fire 3 was released here on PSOne, when the PSP release came out.....Jap/Europe only.
The EU version of that game works on an American PSP; it's what I have

OT: If their games are anything like the Disgaea or Atelier series of games, I'll probably like them

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
sanzo said:
Snotnarok said:
Breath of Fire 3 was released here on PSOne, when the PSP release came out.....Jap/Europe only.
The EU version of that game works on an American PSP; it's what I have

OT: If their games are anything like the Disgaea or Atelier series of games, I'll probably like them
I'm fully aware of that, but it costs more to import the PSP version than to get the PSOne version.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
So they are going to break conventions? With "Final Promise Story" ? That sounds like the biggest derivative piece of crap ever to be sh*t out the ass of a JRPG company to date. I hope that the JRPGs stick to Sony - that way I will be isolated from contamination.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ret-con 'Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New world' and make a real sequel that we deserved after the surprisingly awesome first game and we have a deal Japan.

TIL THEN, Both the Final Fantasy and Tales series have left me sadface.

GEAR BOSS

Aug 10, 2009
One of the big problems with JRPGs is that they follow most, if not all, of the elements of the Final Fantasy series. Unless the game they're making breaks the mold that Final Fantasy built, like Chrono Trigger did on the SNES, then they won't get higher sales in the US and European markets.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Out of curiosity, what consoles (or PC availability) are such games for? It would be surprising if there actually was some mandatory Turn-based status for JRPGs, but speaking as someone who is not a gamer and simply plays games, I never would have heard about many of those or known of their deviation from turn-based combat. The market has grown from the past, so any success will necessitate that a particular JRPG is something special and not just another one of those that typically non-JRPG players pass along the aisles. Look how many games as it stands with a broader appeal slip into the shadows somehow, and subsequently die off or struggle to keep up with the growing market demands. This has just been my personal experience, so it may just be me, but I find that many JRPGs blur together due to a lacking exposure that presents the specific game as any other game worth picking up. After quickly investigating more prominent titles only to discover they are turn-based, I eventually just shrugged it off and to this day tend to glance over most. Just my subjective experience and view though.[/quote]

There are plenty of hack and slash JRPGs but to date I've barely gotten into any of them. I did like Dark Cloud 2 though (mostly because you rebuild the world and invent weapons) and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (just don't expect to beat the counter your first time...or second). These games had plenty of flaws but, I don't know, I still liked them.

I loved how you could invent pretty much anything in Dark Cloud 2. Even a hovering samurai battle robot. I liked Dragon Quarter because who doesn't love one hit kills on bosses (you can't do it too much or the death counter will get you)? The Tales of... games were okay. Just not for me I guess. Just be aware both games can be difficult in their own way. Dark Cloud 2 makes you switch to certain characters only at times. This isn't too bad until you start preferring one over the other and then your stuck with the weaker character. Dragon Quarter has a forever rising death counter. If it reaches 100% you'll die. When you finally beat the game and trigger the final cutscene that counter will be high. Mine was 98.8% or something ridiculously close.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Bullfrog1983 said:
So they are going to break conventions? With "Final Promise Story" ? That sounds like the biggest derivative piece of crap ever to be sh*t out the ass of a JRPG company to date. I hope that the JRPGs stick to Sony - that way I will be isolated from contamination.
I have no idea what the, er, story of Final Promise Story, nor am I particularly bothered about finding out, but it does seem fall into that same FF-style naming trap when it comes to JRPG. I wonder though, do they pick the "thing" first (Story in this case) then decide how to describe it (a story about a Final Promise, I assume) or is it the other way around? Anyway, I could be totally wrong and find out it's actually not a story about a final promise but instead it's actually the final "promise story". Whatever a "promise story" is.

Anyway, I'm still not interested right now, so should probably just keep a safe distance.

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
If they can make a game without any of these: http://www.project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html
then I may be interested, theres a few I don't mind but most I'm sick of the sight of. Or at least do a good job in twisting these "Rules". If I can do that with the frikken RPG Maker then I'd expect professionals to do so aswell, otherwise they can shove their crap back up their butts :D

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Article Subtext: "Blah-blah-blah, look at us, we're not like them, we're SPECIAL"
No you're not, Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (sorry, don't shoot me, anyone who feels I'm insulting jrpg's here didn't get the joke).

I love good games in general, turn-based, real-time, shooters, fighters, rpgs, I don't care as long as it isn't sports. All they need to do is make a game that actually captures my fancy again. Which is apparently really hard or something. C'mon now, stop whining and just make a good game again. Embrace what you've always done and show us why we liked this type of gameplay back in the day, go in a completely different direction, I really don't care, whatever you do, make sure you do it properly. That's all you need to do.

Nobody cared that Secret of Mana was Japanese back in the day, people just bought it because it was a GOOD GAME.

I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles immensely, despite its flaws. Following their success the developers proceeded to punch me in the gut by putting parts 2 & 3 on the PSP.

I'm currently replaying Shining Force 2 (!!! hint !!!) between bouts of Fallout. Still on the fence about Demon's Souls.