JRPGs you enjoyed

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
cernik said:
Normally I side with yhatzee on the whole Jrpg argument, normally it just seems like a group of 3 or more 10-14 year olds with outrageous hair/weaponry/armor/methods of transportation trying to kill a bad guy who will eventually turn out to be the lesser of two evils, but I have to admit, Persona 3 is one of my very favorite games of all time,

So I ask you escapist, what Jrpgs do you like?
Really, I find Yahtzee's view of JRPGs rather narrow minded and short sighted; but then I say the same for anyone who has a broad sweeping opinion of an entire genre, esp. if it's a negative one.
Anyway that's not what you asked me however so let me get on with the topic at hand then. Some of the JRPGs I've enjoyed include:
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Symphonia
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Star Ocean: Last Hope (not nearly as much as 'Till the End of Time' however)
Chrono Cross
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Persona 3

EDIT:
Oops, I forgot,
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals and the Pokemon games (Red, Yellow, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond)

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
The Fire Emblem series I find to be excellent in just about all aspects.
I also enjoyed Dragon Warrior on the original NES and Secret of Mana.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Blindrooster said:
would final fantasy tactics count?
It certainly would. I loved FFT: Advance. Shame the newer DS one was terrible.

Put me down for:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Final Fantasy 7,8,9,11 & 12
Phantasy Star Online
Grandia

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Every game in the SMT series. Specifically, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. Pokemon and Golden Sun are some of my other favorites.

Bloody Crimson

Sep 3, 2009
cernik said:
Normally I side with yhatzee on the whole Jrpg argument, normally it just seems like a group of 3 or more 10-14 year olds with outrageous hair/weaponry/armor/methods of transportation trying to kill a bad guy who will eventually turn out to be the lesser of two evils, but I have to admit, Persona 3 is one of my very favorite games of all time,

So I ask you escapist, what Jrpgs do you like?
I think there's been plenty of threads already like this, and your views on JRPGs look copy-paste Yahtzee. Not going to complain, it just is a little irritating.

As for myself I love JRPGs, mainly because I'm an anime fan. My main favorites so far happen to be
Kingdom Hearts [all that have come out so far]
.hack [mainly G.U.]
EDIT:
Mana Khemia
Fire Emblem

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Pretty much all of them until FFVII came out. From then on it was sparse with xenogears being a real standout for it's time.

Nowadays even the ones I enjoyed then I wouldn't really get into now. I guess I've just outgrown the genre? Who knows. I tell you though, I can STILL play FFVI any day, any time, all day, every day. Something about that game...That and FF Tactics remains my favorite games.

I suspect I'd love disgaea as well because it seems to follow the tactics forumla but for whatever reason I've yet to play one.

Neonic-Ink

May 9, 2009
Let me see here....
any Working Designs game;
Lunar series (Lunar Silver Star Story and Lunar Eternal Blue, both Sega CD and PS1 version)
Popful Mail...etc

These SNES RPGs
Earthbound (Mother 2)
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean
Terranigma....etc.

That about it for me. Those really stand out in my head.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Pretty much everything in the Final Fantasy series (except 7)

The Star Ocean series

Persona series

Paper Mario series

Chrono Trigger

Wild Arms Series

Fire Emblem series

The list goes on. I love JRPGs and by the way your view is a very closed minded view on JRPGs. Try playing a few more and you will see how wrong you are and why bandwagon hating of RPGs really is stupid and the haters should be better informed and try a few games before hating on them.

Mar 3, 2009
Final Fantasy 2/4, 3/6, 7, 9, 10 and tactics.
Disgaea 1 and 2
Not sure if Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire apply, but liked them
Suikoden 1, 2 and 4. 3 and tactics less so, but not bad and haven't sat down to 5 yet.
Jade cocoon 1 and 2
Xenogears
Mana Khemia
Phantom Brave
La Pucelle Tactics
Makai Kingdom (A lot of Atlus)
Breath of Fire 2,3. 4 to a lesser extent.
Brainlord
Illusion of Gaia
Inindo - Way of the Ninja
Lufia 2
Earthbound

Likely more

To follow up, here are some I disliked:

Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
Empheral Phantasia
Xenosaga 2
Lufia 1
Breath of Fire 1 (mostly speed. It was so slow as to be unplayable)
7th Saga
Ogre Battle
Final fantasy 8, X-2, 12 and Tactics Advance
Granstream Saga (debatable if it applies)
Threads of fate
Shining tears
Legend of Dragoon (didn't hate this one, just couldn't care for some reason)
The .hack series.

TheSupremeForce

Jul 19, 2009
JRPG's might just be the greatest genre of all. They're rivaled only by the BioWare genre.
Off the top of my head...

Disgaea 1,2,3
Suikoden 3,4,5, Tierkris
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata
Chrono Trigger and Cross
Final Fantasy 4,6,9,10,12... and maybe 7. Final Fantasy Tactics. The Advance games have great gameplay, but terrible plots.
La Pucelle Tactics
Phantom Brave
Persona 3,4
Dragon Quest 5,8
Valkyrie Profile 1,2
Odin Sphere
GrimGrimoire
Super Mario RPG
Fire Emblem
Secret of Mana

Puregrrr

Nov 21, 2009
Earthbound, still one of my favorite games of all time (and I refuse to refer to it by its Japanese name because I refuse to be a jackass).

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Fire Emblem (or does that not count?), Tales of Symphonia, Chrono Trigger, the demo of Dragon Quest 8 (wanted to get the game but didn't), Final Fantasy VI, and Paper Mario. I also want to get around to Persona 3 and 4, and quite frankly I have some RPG's I need to play, Japanese and western.