Judge Refuses To Dismiss League of Legends Terrorist Threat Case

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Judge Refuses To Dismiss League of Legends Terrorist Threat Case

A judge has ruled that the case against Justin Carter, the League of Legends player arrested for making "terroristic threats," will proceed.

It won't be a very happy holiday for Justin Carter, the League of Legends player who was arrested in February for making "terroristic threats" on Facebook following a match. His lawyer had filed a motion to dismiss but yesterday a judge denied the motion, meaning that the case against him will proceed.

Carter's freed on bail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125507-League-of-Legends-Player-Faces-Eight-Years-For-Terroristic-Threats].

Despite the setback, hope remains; Carter's lawyer, Don Flanary, told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/jailed-league-player-will-try-to-get-case-dismissed-nex-817812433] in July that even if the court in Comal County, Texas refuses to dismiss the case, there are "many other avenues to take it up on appeal." Even so, it has to be a crushing disappointment, as the teen is facing up to eight years in prison if convicted.

Carter's next court date has not been set.

Source: KENS5.com [http://www.kens5.com/news/texas-news/Case-against-teen-accused-of-making-terroristic-threats-to-proceed-237068591.html]

Nov 28, 2007
On the one hand, being prosecuted for a comment made on an online game is ridiculous. On the other...those comments go beyond tasteless, and just adding "jk, lol" to the end of something that could be perceived easily as a threat doesn't make it not a threat.

I'm slightly siding with the teen, but only because jail time seems excessive. It's not because the teen is totally in the right, because he's not.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Idiots making 'edgy' jokes for the sake of it can go fuck themselves... but no way in hell should he be convicted.

Edit: Oh, wait, he was actually being called crazy, and this was his sarcastic response? People are now being sent to jail for sarcasm?

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I agree with the posts made above - the dude is an asshole. He deserves a punch in the face at most, but 8 years in prison is ludicrous. He will die in there, if not lose his sanity in solitary.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Idiots making 'edgy' jokes for the sake of it can go fuck themselves... but no way in hell should he be convicted.
Agreed. I am glad that he's getting a lesson in manners, but this is just too much.

I couldn't, frankly, care less about this player, as he was being a horrible human being. However, the precedent that this sets for freedom of speech is atrocious.

Of course, freedom of speech should not protect one who threatens the safety of others, but that gray area of "what constitutes safety" has been tread throughout history.

I, for one, do not want to be prosecuted under the same sort of witch-hunt mindsets that prevailed during the McCarthy Era, for example. At worst, the kid should have gotten community service. At this point, I think a settlement for "time served" is more than fair.

Conversely, does this mean that all forms of trash-talking can be prosecuted? If so, all those NBA/NFL/NHL players had better watch out!

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
thebobmaster said:
On the one hand, being prosecuted for a comment made on an online game is ridiculous. On the other...those comments go beyond tasteless, and just adding "jk, lol" to the end of something that could be perceived easily as a threat doesn't make it not a threat.

I'm slightly siding with the teen, but only because jail time seems excessive. It's not because the teen is totally in the right, because he's not.
I'm going to disagree with you. Once you bring up "eating their still-beating hearts" you're clearly Crossing The Line Twice; the assertion is obviously ridiculous and you sound like a movie villain. That's the joke. This is and always will be a case of some asshole in a position of power trying to make an example of an innocent kid who did nothing - absolutely nothing - wrong. Comedy is not a crime.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Oh look, a District Attorney who cares more about their career than prosecuting actual criminals. Go figure.

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
I don't feel that the internet could or should be a place that anyone can say anything without consequence, and with that said, I don't feel that this act should go without consequence. A jail sentence that long is a bit excessive, but SOMETHING should happen, and an example should be made.

Why? Because how else are we going to be able to tell the people who are serious from the people who are "jk". School shootings are happening at an increasing number. This is a new reality. If someone makes a threat like this, we need to be able to respond to it and make sure that another tally isn't added to the list.

So... don't say stupid shit to get attention on the internet. You're not funny. You're not "Cool". You're a fucking asshole who deserves to be punished.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Nocturnus said:
Why? Because how else are we going to be able to tell the people who are serious from the people who are "jk".
Any fool could tell that on this occasion.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm still a bit conflicted on this kind of thing.

On one hand, it seems pretty clear that it wasn't a legit threat and a kid just posting stupid things online because...well...that's what they do.

On the other hand, what happens when someone threats like this and carries it through? Now all of a sudden "WE DID NOTHING!!!" cries are shouted at the travesty that no one stepped in.

Damned if you do, damned it you don't.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
thebobmaster said:
Chaosritter said:
Nocturnus said:
Seriously?

This is the BIGGEST joke of a trial that i have heard of in a long time. All the people saying he is a horrible person, and deserves some punishment are suffering some serious delusions of grandeur and a hardcore superiority complex.

I challenge every single person with this mindset to look back through their lives and tell me unequivocally that they have NEVER made a SINGLE offensive or tasteless comment in their whole lives. And i will no doubt call you a liar. One bad taste joke doesn't make you a horrible or shit person.

I know i've uttered plenty of tasteless jokes in my life, as have every single person i know, including my mother. In public, in private, doesn't matter one iota. None of us deserve 8 years in prison.

"I'm going to shoot up a school and eat their still beating hearts" is obviously bad taste humor, no doubt, but i've said and heard worse.

To constitute a threat he really needs to have gone into some realistic detail about how/when/where this "school shooting" was going to happen, not some fantastical supervillain comment that he made for the lols.

Some uppity **** saw the post on his facebook and called the police. Who should have told her to fuck right off immediately, but the fear in Americans in strong in this day and age. When the overwhelming fear of the public starts making the general mindset that paranoid, you really need to step back and take a look at yourselves.

This angers me beyond belief, moreso that the general public seem to not give a shit than the fact he was arrested in the first place.

And people who are saying he's getting what he deserved, or that it's "just a little harsh" i seriously hope you make an off the wall comment one day and get put through what this poor kid is going through, so you can cry about the injustice. I'll come visit you in prison with your comments you made here.

Finally, No , he doesn't even deserve to be punched in the face. He deserves to be compensated for this bullshit, released and have all records of this expunged.

Welcome to new police-state USA. Fight it now or enjoy it for a long long time to come.

ps. may not make much sense. christmas ranting for the win.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I can't believe the people that support this kid getting jail time for mouthing off after a LoL game. I love this paranoid country we live in where opening your mouth means going to jail.
Of course, I am not too surprised, most of the people on The Escapist are known for having no understanding or compassion at all.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Doomsdaylee said:
Good. Throw the little shit in prison. I mean, I'm all for freedom of speech and the GIFT, but still, saying shit like that deserves punishment. 8 years is a bit harsh, but maybe next time he won't try to seem edgy and cool.
As for the aforementioned "crossing the line twice" and "refuge in audacity" excuses, that works in fiction, and even then, only to a point. And this is the kind of crazy shit that actually happens.

Funny thing is, all these people crying about how he should be left alone would be doing the exact opposite, (I.E. "Why didn't they lock him up, he even said he was, who's stupid enough to ignore that on just a "jk, lol.") if he actually did go shoot up a school.
yup, that's a totally justified response. we should definitely punish people disproportionately to set an example. because that works so well with things like the death penalty.

this whole scenario has taught the kid a lesson, he was fucking stupid and this has probably scared him shitless, and i'd support community sentencing and fines, but this doesn't warrant a jail sentence in the slightest

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Doomsdaylee said:
Good. Throw the little shit in prison. I mean, I'm all for freedom of speech and the GIFT, but still, saying shit like that deserves punishment. 8 years is a bit harsh, but maybe next time he won't try to seem edgy and cool.
As for the aforementioned "crossing the line twice" and "refuge in audacity" excuses, that works in fiction, and even then, only to a point. And this is the kind of crazy shit that actually happens.

Funny thing is, all these people crying about how he should be left alone would be doing the exact opposite, (I.E. "Why didn't they lock him up, he even said he was, who's stupid enough to ignore that on just a "jk, lol.") if he actually did go shoot up a school.
Wait.
Wait.
Wait.

Wait.
"Only works in fiction?"
Ok, so if I were to post here that "I plan to steal 3 semi trucks, load them with barrels of gasoline, and then duct tape them together so I can drive them all at once and ramp them off that dirt pile from the construction in front of the office so I can slam them into the third floor window and kill that douchebag Bob from accounting"

That would constitute a completely legitimate terroristic threat. Really? Really.

Also, wow! Surprise and alarm! If he did something horrible and illegal people would want him to be in JAIL. Good heavens. You should be in POLITICS.

I'll say if he didn't want any chance to be construed as being serious he should have taken the absurdity further, but that is very much a thing. And given that other than a bad attempt at a dark humor joke, he hasn't actually so far done anything illegal, then yes, people are fairly justified to point out that the threat of jail time for most of a decade is rather absurd.