Judge Refuses To Dismiss League of Legends Terrorist Threat Case

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
ticklefist said:
Also, if this kid is actually getting his ass kicked in jail (not prison, he hasn't been convicted of anything) then he's simply an asshole that still hasn't learned to shut his mouth and sucks at making friends.
I guess being repeatedly raped and tortured to the point of being put on suicide watch qualifies as "sucks at making friends" right?
Why do you think he's being raped?

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Strazdas said:
To be fair the judge would be saying it to make a point the kid said it because he has poor anger management, I don't really think it'd be a double standard.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
I showed my roommate this thread and his response was "But what if it was a shitty school?"

Go figure.

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
If you say "lol jk" after ANYTHING, no matter how tasteless, it's a joke, not a credible threat to be handled by the police. Some people in this thread must be total sociopaths if they honestly think this kid deserves jail time - or think that he should've been arrested at all.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Spoiler to mask sensitive material.
That as he's a gamer who "threatened" a school shooting, inside of a game's post-game chat, really compounds how screwed he is, however.
Really, that was sensitive material? i expected something like a picture of actual shooting or something...
Also he DID NO THREAT. you should look up the definition of a threat as defined by law. its there on page 6.

ticklefist said:
Ineptitude of police officcers to bring order to jail combined with actual criminals in there.

Hawk eye1466 said:
Strazdas said:
To be fair the judge would be saying it to make a point the kid said it because he has poor anger management, I don't really think it'd be a double standard.
The kid does not have poor anger management. It has nothing to do with anger. It was a witty response to a claim from another person who could arguably have anger management (calling him crazy for winning the match). A Pun or jest if you will. All the judge would be doing is showing that not only is he unable to logically process context but has worse issues than the defender.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
ticklefist said:
Ineptitude of police officcers to bring order to jail combined with actual criminals in there.
You may have misunderstood my question. I'm asking what makes you believe that he is being raped. If that's the question you answered then you're just letting your imagination get the best of you.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
Objectable said:
And this is why you shouldn't be stupid.
Don't be stupid people.
No, it shows the opposite; that stupidity is worshiped in the justice system. Making a tasteless joke is not stupid. Rude to some, maybe, but not stupid; big difference.

Stupid would be more like... like a country whose federal government is infamous worldwide for having a foreign policy which involves regularly committing acts of terror around the globe having the audacity to criminalize terrorism. Or rather, it's not their audacity that's stupid, but the fact that they get away with it and nobody bats an eye at the hypocrisy.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
ticklefist said:
Strazdas said:
ticklefist said:
You may have misunderstood my question. I'm asking what makes you believe that he is being raped. If that's the question you answered then you're just letting your imagination get the best of you.
Ah, He was assaulted both physically and sexually multiple times in jail which lead him to be put in solitary and lead him to get into depression which made suicide watch necessary.

Tismo said:
I'm fairly sure I've said worse things. Add that to the fact that I listen to deathmetal and play violent videogames. I might just be the Anti-Christ
We will ahve to duel to the death for this title!

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Only in the US you can hear of something so ridiculous. Good thing the rest of the world is not scared of little kids with automatic rifles and "terrorist threats".

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
ticklefist said:
Strazdas said:
ticklefist said:
Ah, He was assaulted both physically and sexually multiple times in jail which lead him to be put in solitary and lead him to get into depression which made suicide watch necessary.
I guess I still haven't been clear. You need to cite your source.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I don't want him to be convicted but I'm glad he is going to court, hopefully people will learn that they should treat places like Facebook and much of the rest of the internet as a public venue as you wouldn't say it in a crowded mall don't go saying it on the internet where anyone can see it.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Strazdas said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Spoiler to mask sensitive material.
That as he's a gamer who "threatened" a school shooting, inside of a game's post-game chat, really compounds how screwed he is, however.
Really, that was sensitive material? i expected something like a picture of actual shooting or something...
Also he DID NO THREAT. you should look up the definition of a threat as defined by law. its there on page 6.
Yeah, some people are of a more sensitive disposition than you or I right now, for reasons that are non of our concern. I'm just trying to make this a safer environment for everyone, to engage in a bit of discussion. I'm sorry to have disappointed you.

And that's why I used quotation marks; because I was being derisive of how the story frames the issue.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
saruman31 said:
Only in the US you can hear of something so ridiculous. Good thing the rest of the world is not scared of little kids with automatic rifles and "terrorist threats".
Probably because they're dealing with actual terrorists.

I live in the US. Our government is run by a bunch of knee-jerk, moronic incompetent assholes who wouldn't know a real threat, if it climbed up their asses and out their ear.

The fact that such chicanery happens is just disgraceful.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Strazdas said:
Even if he doesn't have anger management and this was a comeback it just doesn't sound like it was said in jest, obviously it was but if I won a game and someone called me crazy I'd say something less dark or just sillier. Mostly because that would get under the other persons skin more, but saying your going to start shooting and eat peoples hearts doesn't sound witty at all it sounds mean or angry which is why this whole thing was blown out of proportion anyway.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
ticklefist said:
Strazdas said:
ticklefist said:
Strazdas said:
ticklefist said:
I guess I still haven't been clear. You need to cite your source.
Fair enough, the sources only show physical assault that related in solitary confinement and rape is only implied. example:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125833-Petition-to-Free-Jailed-League-of-Legends-Player-Reaches-100-000-Sigshttp://sagaciousnewsnetwork.com/kid-imprisoned-for-5-months-assaulted-and-currently-held-in-solitary-confinement-on-suicide-watch-now-facing-8-more-years-in-prison-all-just-for-a-joke-he-made-on-facebook/

lord.jeff said:
I don't want him to be convicted but I'm glad he is going to court, hopefully people will learn that they should treat places like Facebook and much of the rest of the internet as a public venue as you wouldn't say it in a crowded mall don't go saying it on the internet where anyone can see it.
I would, should and will say something like this in a crowded mall. Its called a joke, sarcasm and should not be illegal.

Hawk eye1466 said:
Strazdas said:
Even if he doesn't have anger management and this was a comeback it just doesn't sound like it was said in jest, obviously it was but if I won a game and someone called me crazy I'd say something less dark or just sillier. Mostly because that would get under the other persons skin more, but saying your going to start shooting and eat peoples hearts doesn't sound witty at all it sounds mean or angry which is why this whole thing was blown out of proportion anyway.
So if somone tells you your crazy and you make a comeback sarcastically saying your going to do a crazy thing it "doesnt sound like it was said in jest". sorry but you have to be really low on language comprehension not to see it was a joke. Just because you would say something less dark does not mean everyone should. He has made a witty response that does not even come close to an actual threat and got thrown in jail for it.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Strazdas said:
So I've been reading through the responses and yours have caught my eye. You keep saying that it was just a joke, you would say something similar in a crowded place, and it shouldn't be illegal. So I ask you, what happens when someone makes the same type of remark including "lol jk" and this kid was let off? I answer, there would be an investigation. The police find some type of gun and perhaps building schematics to a school. If this kid is just released it sets a legal precedent. The fact this person said "lol jk" is enough to invalidate the threat, owning a gun is not illegal, and neither is obtaining publically available building schematics. The police could not do anything, and then the kid goes on a shooting spree. Good job. The only thing that needs to happen for the charge of "terroristic threat" to stick is that someone needs to be legitimately fearful for their, or others' lives. Being as this occurred so soon after the Sandy Hook shootings and the dark nature of the "statement" I would feel worried too.

In short we have to apply the law evenly or we can't apply the law at all.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Sarge034 said:
Strazdas said:
So I've been reading through the responses and yours have caught my eye. You keep saying that it was just a joke, you would say something similar in a crowded place, and it shouldn't be illegal. So I ask you, what happens when someone makes the same type of remark including "lol jk" and this kid was let off? I answer, there would be an investigation. The police find some type of gun and perhaps building schematics to a school. If this kid is just released it sets a legal precedent. The fact this person said "lol jk" is enough to invalidate the threat, owning a gun is not illegal, and neither is obtaining publically available building schematics. The police could not do anything, and then the kid goes on a shooting spree. Good job. The only thing that needs to happen for the charge of "terroristic threat" to stick is that someone needs to be legitimately fearful for their, or others' lives. Being as this occurred so soon after the Sandy Hook shootings and the dark nature of the "statement" I would feel worried too.

In short we have to apply the law evenly or we can't apply the law at all.
"This kid was let off"? It may be my poor english knowledge but i dont exactly understand what you mean. Do you mean that he was let go from police? He shouldnt have been arrested to begin with. IT sets precedence? good. the predecense should support freedom of speech and not being jailed for making jokes.
The police investigation found neither means nor intention to actually do a school shooting.
If i own a gun and i have a schematic of a school does not mean you should arrest me either.

You argue as if there was any grounds to arrest the kid to begin with when there was none. there was no threat. in order for a statement to be considered threat legally it has to be specific. saying "im going to kill everyone" is not a threat. saying "im going to kill you" is. You would need to specify school name and date AT LEAST for this to be legally considered a threat.

Yes, we have to apply the law evenly and dont pretend to make examples when there is none or make exceptions "not to set precedent".

The kid did not ever intend to actually go on a shooting rampage, and even in case where one thought about it police has NO BUSINESS policing thought. Should we arrest 100 in hope that 1 may have commited the crime otherwise? in which case we should arrest entire population of US because more than 1% of it resides in jail already.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Er guys, Here's a breakdown of your freedom of speech: Did anyone get hurt? Was anyone going to get hurt? So no event, no intent, no one even thought he was serious.

Yet he's still on trial.

Insanity. Pure unadulterated insanity.

It's like quantum punishment. They're not punishing him for commiting a harmful act, they're punishing him because he might have commited a harmful act even though he wasn't going to and the evidence of that was pretty clear.

The fact you can even punish someone because they -might- commit an act is insanity. Is this the minority report or something? Turned out well for them huh. And they had actual precogs.