Julian Assange is a prick.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
itsthesheppy said:
I'm not interested in speculating (with no evidence personally on hand or presented yet in court) on whether or not the rape accusations reflect legit occurrences or not. I'm not interested in giving an ounce of credence to conspiracy theories. What I want to know is, how does the world not see this man for the coward he so clearly is?
Because there is NOTHING cowardly about not trusting the system.

Trust is something that needs to be earned, and without calling Assange a hero or a great man, i can't fault him for not showing great confidence in the Swedish system in this case for several reasons:
1) Swedish rape laws are known to be rather extreme (or if a might use another word, excessive), so much in fact that Swedish lawyers often joke that you need written permission from the woman before having sex. What Assange is accused for in Sweden isn't even punishable in many other modern countries.
2) The Swedish government was discovered (ironically through Wikileaks) to have budged to pressure from the US before. If they can budge once, they can budge again, and courts HAVE been known to be able to be politically influenced.
3) The chief-prosecutor in the case, Marianne Ny, is politically active in the area of sexual crimes. Without going as far as calling her attempt to get Assange convicted a "witch hunt", she is definitely what I'd call "motivated".

Even if the extradition to the US isn't realistic (and I'm not saying that it isn't), Assange still has the odds stacked against him, and you can't reasonably expect people to just bend over and take it from behind by the bigger guy and then call them cowards if they don't. You didn't expect Al-Queda to just bend over and surrender to the United States when they marched into Afghanistan either, did you? :eek:)

Assange is just doing what he can to stay afloat. He fights for what he believes in, and i respect that, and if our beliefs aren't aligned. I'd rather call people who DON'T fight for what they believe in cowards.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Personally I think the world would be a better place if we had more just like him.

Do we know for a fact he raped anyone? No. It is only speculated. I do not condemn someone over speculation. Though the charge stems from the people who he pissed off, so personally I have trouble buying the validity of that.

However what we do know about him is what was leaked and we need that sort of structure in this world. We already let too many things fall by the way side. Too much has been ignored or not covered, and anyone who shines a light on the things that we are doing wrong and allowing to be done in our name, need to be brought to light.

Like him or not. He has not been convicted (and really the charges seem trumped up at best) and he has done some very important things.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
I do think he is an asshat for many reasons that have already been mentioned here, and I think he should stand trial in Sweden (if he's innocent then he should go prove it).

However, I personally think he OUGHT to be extradited to the US and face the music for wikileaks. I really don't understand the hard-on that the internet has for that.

Governments have secrets, dirty secrets. ALL OF THEM. YOURS, MINE, and of course the USA. That doesn't mean some little shit should go and publish them on the web like that. That just puts people in danger, and his sources can face treason charges... great.

Oh, and Ecuador has just made the list.

Feb 22, 2009
The only defence of him I've heard is that he wouldn't be being charged at all if he wasn't also involved in WikiLeaks and therefore considered a threat. I agree that's probably true; but that's not a reason not to prosecute him, it's a reason to work harder to bring other rapists to justice. So I don't think he should be extradited to the US or anything, but he should definitely be put on trial.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Athinira said:
Trust is something that needs to be earned, and without calling Assange a hero or a great man, i can't fault him for not showing great confidence[...]
Just wanted to poke my head in here and suggest that you go commit a crime, and then try to sell the idea that you don't have to recognize the police's authority to arrest you because you don't trust the courts. Except you're not a global celebrity who can sell himself as a political game chip to the highest bidder so I doubt it would go well for you.

1) Swedish rape laws are known to be rather extreme (or if a might use another word, excessive), so much in fact that Swedish lawyers often joke that you need written permission from the woman before having sex. What Assange is accused for in Sweden isn't even punishable in many other modern countries.
If a woman tells you she will only have sex with you if you wear a condom and you don't put one on and have sex with her anyway, either under duress or sneakily without her knowing, that's sex without consent and therefor rape. If you have sex with someone who is unconscious, that's rape. Sorry to ruin your weekend.
2) The Swedish government was discovered (ironically through Wikileaks) to have budged to pressure from the US before. If they can budge once, they can budge again, and courts HAVE been known to be able to be politically influenced.
I'm bored by conspiracy theories. Besides, as I said before and you apparently did not read, his beef with the US and Sweden's love for sending suspects to us is a product of his own doing. It's the bed he's made for himself and is immaterial to the rape accusations or the arrest warrant filed because of them.
3) The chief-prosecutor in the case, Marianne Ny, is politically active in the area of sexual crimes. Without going as far as calling her attempt to get Assange convicted a "witch hunt", she is definitely what I'd call "motivated".
I think you'll find that most prosecutors will go to great lengths to try and convict suspected rapists. I find it hard to fault them for zeal. I'm personally not a big fan of rape. Maybe I'm in the minority on that one.

Even if the extradition to the US isn't realistic (and I'm not saying that it isn't), Assange still has the odds stacked against him, and you can't reasonably expect people to just bend over and take it from behind by the bigger guy and then call them cowards if they don't. You didn't expect Al-Queda to just bend over and surrender to the United States when they marched into Afghanistan either, did you? :eek:)

Assange is just doing what he can to stay afloat. He fights for what he believes in, and i respect that, and if our beliefs aren't aligned. I'd rather call people who DON'T fight for what they believe in cowards.
Assange is a self serving little weasel who's putting his own hide and wellbeing above that of the truth. If it's true that he did NOT rape those women, a great hero of honesty should stand up for the truth like a man. I do not respect someone who is only brave when his skin isn't on the line.

Perhaps the US isn't justified in trying to nab him. Maybe Sweden will turn him over. There is an arrest warrant out for him on suspicion of rape and he is fleeing from that. Conspiracy theories can go jump off a bridge for all I care. He's a sneaky little wimp, a hypocrite and a coward and deserves not the slightest shred of respect from anyone. Shame on him, and shame on the people who rally behind him.

Xiado said:
He would face up to the charges if he thought he would get a free trial, which he probably won't. And as was said, the case against him was previously dropped, and only reopened after the Wikileaks scandals. That's pretty effing suspicious to me.
Oh look, more conspiracy theories. How utterly tedious.

There's a warrant for his arrest on suspicion of rape. He's fleeing justice and hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy in defiance of that warrant. He's a fugitive from justice and a coward. The mitigating circumstances of his dustup with the United States, all of which was his own doing, is immaterial to that fact. He had no problem being a celebrity, making a name for himself, but now the going is getting tough. And you know what they say about admirable men. When the going gets tough, you flee from your legal responsibilities and hid in a place where you don't have to face accusations that you raped too women.

No wait, that sounds wrong. Let me try again.

when the going gets tough, the tough give rousing speeches about people who did sacrifice while doing everything you can to keep yourself from having to make similar sacrifices for your cause.

Agh, no... this is harder than I thought!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Personally, I'm fucking sick of my government's "Team America, FUCK YEAH!" mantra. I'm glad for Julian. Yeah, he conducts himself in a dickish way, but the government's outrage at him just showed how awful the people I'm living under are. There is no justice in them, just revenge.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Never heard of him, but looking at it he hasn't assaulted shit. [if were given all the facts on the case]

Signa said:
Personally, I'm fucking sick of my government's "Team America, FUCK YEAH!" mantra. I'm glad for Julian. Yeah, he conducts himself in a dickish way, but the government's outrage at him just showed how awful the people I'm living under are. There is no justice in them, just revenge.
Death Penalty in a nutshell, really stupid revenge. The best revenge for would be for him to rot in prison.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Boudica said:
ArnRand said:
First of all, the guy sexually assaults two women
Prove it.

You can prove it, right? You're not just making conjectural remarks and regurgitating what you saw on TV, yeah? Then prove it.

If you can't prove it, you just committed libel, an illegal offense in many countries.
This is Off-topic. Not R'n'P. I went in here expecting -some- kind of debate. I was sorely disappointed. Also, this topic AND this debate is pretty much already up on Religions and Politics. Chances are it could have been found by just looking before you posted.

Smagmuck_ said:
ArnRand said:
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/528-Religion-and-Politics>Take this thread here please.
Although, even if I suggested the case be dicussed in RnP. That doesnt mean it cannot be made here, Julian has been ALL over the escapist news and off-topic boards. There is no rule stating that you cannot discuss him here. And you off-topic folks would do well to learn a bit of debating. Rather than just duck-and-convering at the first sign of mudslinging, mudslinging that only really becomes a problem because people arent used to debating.

Note in general- If you keep insulting the other side, using strawmen, and show a willingness 'not' to listen to anything the opponent says. You are not debating, you're being childish.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ITT: People who normally advocate "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" condemn a man as a rapist because he's a coward.

I don't care about Julian Assange one way or the other, I just wanted Wikileaks to live. I don't think it really did.

Oh yes, add in the obligatory <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.267231-The-Paradox-of-Heaven#10208004>OMG THIS GOES IN RELIGION AND POLITIX. Except really, it does. Please stop bringing this stuff up in Off-Topic.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
lacktheknack said:
ITT: People who normally advocate "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" condemn a man as a rapist because he's a coward.

I don't care about Julian Assange one way or the other, I just wanted Wikileaks to live. I don't think it really did.

Oh yes, add in the obligatory <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.267231-The-Paradox-of-Heaven#10208004>OMG THIS GOES IN RELIGION AND POLITIX. Except really, it does. Please stop bringing this stuff up in Off-Topic.
MODS, DO NOT PUT THIS IN RELIGION AND POLITICS, WE ALREADY HAVE ONE OF THEESE GOING ON AND DO NOT NEED A SECOND BEFORE IT HAS EVEN GONE OFF THE FRONT PAGE.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Dags90 said:
Does Sweden not have some sort of system for trial in absentia? I feel like that would be worth exploring. It's not like he couldn't just send his legal team.
No, at least not under normal circumstances. There may be a provision for serious crimes where in absentia is allowed, but likely only in cases where the defendant has already died.

On that note, no one knows the truth about the two cases against him. This is not helped by the fact that reports in the media keep changing over time. I have heard several things, like that he was charged with what in Sweden is called: "Accidental Rape." Meaning, that he did not use birth control when the woman wanted him too. As well as other varied reports.

I have no clue about who Assange is, but it is clear he is the target of an extensive character assassination effort. If I recall correctly, Sen. Lindsey Grahm called Assange a "high-tech terrorist" on the floor of the US senate. While one can agree or disagree with WikiLeaks, calling him a terrorist goes too far, in my opinion. Lets leave that word for people who actually kill innocents, please.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
lacktheknack said:

MODS, DO NOT PUT THIS IN RELIGION AND POLITICS, WE ALREADY HAVE ONE OF THEESE GOING ON AND DO NOT NEED A SECOND BEFORE IT HAS EVEN GONE OFF THE FRONT PAGE.
Pffffft. Welcome to the rest of these boards.

I'm GRATEFUL if we only have two threads on the controversial topic of the day on one page.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
ArnRand said:
1. The "sexual assault" charge is whether or not he wore a condom. It's not exactly "assault" if you ask me. Possibly made up as well just to extradite him

2. Sweden never said they wouldn't extradite him.

3. USA wants to fuck him over because he reveals their dirty laundry.

4. Bad guys (Ecuador) CAN do nice things.

5. He said he would be happy to answer any questions the Swedish may have over a skype call.

6. STOP WATCHING FOX NEWS YOU IDIOT

Call me a fanboy, but Julian Assange is the closest thing the world has had to a hero in a very long ass time.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
What I think the OP and most people are missing (but some have pointed out) is that he is unlikely to get a fair trial and his involvement with wikileaks will no doubt be considered, and I'll bet a big, if not the main, factor for his sentence.