Jurassic World - That final scene (spoiler warning)

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Zontar said:
To be fair, that's the mindset behind a lot of the RnD for the US military, though usually there are scientific and economic benefits to that line of thinking in the long run (if you're using a computer or television build after 2008, there's something in the machine which was developed or improved upon specifically because of Iraq and Afghanistan, for example).
If it were DARPA I could actually totally see it, that kind of blue-sky bullshit is exactly their thing. However, post-9/11 media has moved from criticising the US government and military to bagging on PMCs. The thing about PMCs is that they're budget conscious, they don't really have R&D departments so whilst I can see them ordering custom weapons or radio units I just can't see Blackwater funding a project with that kind of huge cost for a dubious payoff. Those dinosaurs are expensive, hideously so for something you're putting in harms way. They're difficult to handle, nearly impossible to control and almost impossible to stop if they go rogue. Hell, they're a fucking PR nightmare.

I have to admit one of the first things I commented on to my girlfriend in the cinema was the fact that they had an actual NOC this time rather than a single skeezy-ass sysadmin with no holiday cover.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
On topic, I have to say I didn't fully warm to the idea of the dino training up bit. I didn't mind it, but the exact point that I think stretched the idea too far was when the raptor and the T-Rex team up, and come to an amicable agreement afterwards leaving each other alone.
Wouldn't say it was an Agreement, if either one had turned on the other, they would of fought, they just knew they were to weak to even bother, especially the Rex, who lets face it, nearly died if it wasn't for Blue.

Also the training up bit really didn't bother me, Intelligent Animals in this day and age get trained all the time, don't see why that would be different for Dino's, especially Raptors who you imprinted on when they hatched.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ForumSafari said:
Casual Shinji said:
Raptors can be trained to follow basic orders? Yeah, I can see how that could be applicable to military operations.
Kind of yeah, I can understand the temptation but I didn't think the raptors were tractable enough or, frankly, effective enough to warrant that level of interest. One of the reasons xenomorphs work as a bioweapon is that you're in space so you're not standing on the same planet as the target and controlling them isn't a consideration, can you imagine being the poor sod that has to get the raptors back in the box after an engagement? I mean Starlord imprints on them at birth and his control was tenuous at best.

I just didn't see the advantage over drones. Any war where dinosaurs work will be one where drones work. Drones can be hacked true but drones don't go to sleep, wander off-mission or kill your own troops. They also don't require handlers on site. Wanting to use dinosaurs in warfare struck me as a huge case of 'because we can' rather than 'because they're genuinely useful'.
Obviously the whole thing is silly, but I liked how the movie seemed to play just a bit with the idea that the park itself is just kind of like a display case for genetics, which harkens back to the first book. In the book Jurassic Park wasn't so much about making money off people paying to see dinosaurs, but about showing off tech and funding the advancement of genetics. One of the reasons I loved that petting zoo scene was because I could see that getting used as a marketing gimmick by INGen to get parents to buy their kid a pet sized T-Rex or Pterodactyl. Same with seducing the military by showing off their fully trained, highly lethal, expert tracking Raptors.

Ofcourse the whole endeavor would crash and burn, but that's sorta the point.

Not saying the movie was trying to actually be that intelligent, but it just reminded me off that which I thought was pretty cool.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Fuckin loved it. I came in expecting fighting dinos, and what I got was fighting dinos.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Ofcourse the whole endeavor would crash and burn, but that's sorta the point.
Oh I totally get that, the whole thing is an inherently stupid idea and that is the point, it's supposed to have you standing there going "what the hell are you doing!?" The problem I had with these things specifically were that they took me out of the experience in a way the original didn't.

I understand why the people in the original thought their stupidity was a good idea, it was hubristic stupidity, not out and out idiocy. However, when confronted with the choices of this film my thoughts weren't about the short sightedness of the characters and their destructive arrogance, it was about why the scriptwriters thought this was a reasonable thing to do and why they thought I'd buy it.

The other things unrelated to my collection of not-really plot holes that ruined my immersion were the CGI and the kids. The kids have a subplot that is never resolved, between that and the unusually brutal death of an innocent and rather nice character I felt like there was a significant chunk of the film removed that seriously hurt the flow of the film. The CGI wasn't great, now to be fair I watched this the same day as Age of Ultron which was utterly outstanding in terms of CGI, but some of the dino effects were a little sub-par.

I did like the concept of them making a custom dino because dinosaurs are old hat, that was a very fun fourth wall nod. I also liked the comparison to a real amusement park with lines, rides, petting zoos and trite gift shops. It is to their credit that they made Jurassic World feel like Disneyland.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ForumSafari said:
The other things unrelated to my collection of not-really plot holes that ruined my immersion were the CGI and the kids. The kids have a subplot that is never resolved, between that and the unusually brutal death of an innocent and rather nice character I felt like there was a significant chunk of the film removed that seriously hurt the flow of the film. The CGI wasn't great, now to be fair I watched this the same day as Age of Ultron which was utterly outstanding in terms of CGI, but some of the dino effects were a little sub-par.
Initially with the kids I thought they were going the 'step-siblings who don't get along, but through striff they ultimately do' route, because the two just didn't feel like brothers at all on screen, there was this total disconnect. And I think that would've made for a snappier story arc, since the whole divorce plot needlessly cut into the movie, and as you said it never even got resolved.

As for the CGI... It's mass produced, but that's how it is with every blockbuster now. The Marvel movies are filled with rubbery CGI as well. So here I think it's a case of 'The original had a lot of practical effects so this one should, too.' The last time CGI actually impressed me was in Prometheus. The only time in Jurassic World where I thought the CGI looked outright bad was when the two kids are driving into the fields in the gyorsphere and you see a triceratops getting up. The way that triceratops was rendered into the environment just looked like crap.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I felt bad for the I. Rex, monster that it was. It was born wrong, it was raised in captivity without any contact from other species, and it killed its sister. The creature was murderous and spiteful, but that was the result of its upbringing, and that's why I felt uncomfortable when it killed people. Defending territory or hunting for food is an understandable reaction, but the slaughter for fun and vengeance was disturbing. But you could pin that on the way she was designed, and that's what makes it tragic. She was vicious but she was made that way.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Casual Shinji said:
ForumSafari said:
Initially with the kids I thought they were going the 'step-siblings who don't get along, but through striff they ultimately do' route, because the two just didn't feel like brothers at all on screen, there was this total disconnect. And I think that would've made for a snappier story arc, since the whole divorce plot needlessly cut into the movie, and as you said it never even got resolved.

As for the CGI... It's mass produced, but that's how it is with every blockbuster now. The Marvel movies are filled with rubbery CGI as well. So here I think it's a case of 'The original had a lot of practical effects so this one should, too.' The last time CGI actually impressed me was in Prometheus. The only time in Jurassic World where I thought the CGI looked outright bad was when the two kids are driving into the fields in the gyorsphere and you see a triceratops getting up. The way that triceratops was rendered into the environment just looked like crap.
The more I think about it the more I don't understand what the point of the kids was. other than to get the main character and the girl he liked out into the park together so a 'romance' could be shoehorned in to the film, they didn't really seem to belong.

I've just remembered at the start, the older brother is saying goodbye to his girlfriend but then spends all his time gawking at other girls. The freak.

I think they must have taken a butchers knife to the kids storyline when editing because too much doesn't make sense.

Not too fussed about CGI. most films CGI is to a good standard nowadays, even the stuff you see on TV

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
ForumSafari said:
Stop trying to do the Weyland Yutani/Umbrella thing, Aliens did it right because it did it with some depth and complexity.
Honestly, as much of a cliché it is to weaponize things in movies/games, this was one of the few instances where it actually made some sense (within the confines of the movie). Raptors can be trained to follow basic orders? Yeah, I can see how that could be applicable to military operations.
You and I know how that scene ended.

Montezuma's Lawyer

Nov 5, 2011
It was a stupid obligatory fight, in an otherwise stupid movie.

The best part of the entire movie experience was the ad for "The Walk" and a Geico ad with a screaming goat.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I thought it was a good idea. Not so much a team-up as the coinciding action of individuals. The Raptor was a more-intelligent-than-usual creature capable of tactical reasoning in the limits of its experience and instincts. The T-Rex is highly-territorial and supremely vicious. Both of them clearly clearly sensed something WRONG about Indy. (Yes, we're calling her Indy now. That's a nickname.) What was unexpected was the third helper, showing that they had severely mis-judged the ability of that thing to leap from its water tank. The only REAL oddity is at the end there where the T-Rex does NOT attempt to kill the Raptor. Only good reason I can think of is that he'd had enough and if the Raptor wasn't attacking, then fine.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Just got back from the cinema after seeing the film tonight.

I came to see dinosaurs fuck shit up and I got just that.

Also I loved the film throwbacks, the goggles from the first film, the jeeps. Heck even the skeletons on the floor of the old visitor center, I swear those were the remains of the raptors that the T-Rex killed at the end of Jurassic Park.

Overall I loved it. And I loved the final scene as well, my inner 12 year old was screaming with joy, the way the T-rex walked out as if to say, "right whose the cheeky fucker who thinks he owns this joint"

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
The only way I can see Jurassic World now is as a coming of age story for the Indominus Rex, with a tragic ending.

I feel like the movie could have been interesting if they'd gone with more of a Frankenstein angle.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
I was so bored that I fell asleep twice during the movie. I could see everything coming from a mile away, and the fight was ok at best. No idea how it made so much money, though shit has made money before.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Went to see it last night and absolutely loved it. It was just so cool to see the park open and fully operational. The I-Rex and Mosasaurus were awesome, as were the T-Rex and the raptors.

The early scenes with the Mosasaurus were very reminiscent of what you'd see at places like Seaworld and therefore very believable, and seeing those little kids riding the dinos was pretty cute and funny.

Similarly, I liked the gyrospheres and thought the crash and escape from it pretty cool. There was something very creepy about the I-Rex waiting for the boys to emerge and I liked how they were actually intelligent i.e. Zach telling Gray to stay under the water. In fact I thought both boys were good actors and that my fears were unfounded as they weren't annoying. Okay, I liked Zach the least of the two since he was a bit of a jerk to his younger brother, but that's totally believable given his age. Gray was actually pretty sensible and proved useful too.

So how good was it? It beats TLW and JPIII hands down without even trying, and equals JP, possibly even edges it once you take off the Nostalgia goggles.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
croc3629 said:
The only way I can see Jurassic World now is as a coming of age story for the Indominus Rex, with a tragic ending.

I feel like the movie could have been interesting if they'd gone with more of a Frankenstein angle.
Yes, I like the tragic coming of age angle! As for Frankenstein, the Indomitus Rex was made from the DNA of T Rex, tree frog, cuttlefish, Velociraptor... Unless they'd literally stitched bits of dead dino together and brought it to life with lightning, how much more Frankenstein can you get?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
MEH!

The first, and second JP for that matter were vastly better. Especially the first.

This one was way too kid-friendly and "fun"actiony. The first one had some really horrible moments, and a lot of drawn out scary scenes. JW was just jumpy and without any patience whatsoever.

And the scene when the BRILLIANT music from the first movie was used to reveal....A FUCKING THEME PARK FULL OF PEOPLE...I almost chewed off my own hand. Compared to the absolute vision in the first one with the Brachiosaurus it was HILARIOUSLY bad.

None of the characters stood out, Chris Pratt was unfortunately pretty bland, and the scene with the lady planning to run from the t-rex while STILL wearing her fucking heels made med cringe so bad I almost broke my back.

While entertaining at times, it was too quippy and grinning while it should have been serious.

I liked all the throwbacks to the first movie though, other than that...meh. I rewatched the first one immediately after...and it is so much better it isnt even funny.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
You know, as much as I harp on the second one for the insufferable hypocrisy of the leads (well, two of them at least. Ian and Eddie were all right), I actually rate this film as being below it. Why?

Suspense.

At least Lost World made you feel like you were on an island being hunted by super predators. There was some attempt at suspense, tension, and paranoia. Here? Barely any, and it's wasted on redshirts. All there is is a bunch of running and screaming while the dinosaurs charge around in broad daylight. There was plenty of reason for the characters to be scared, but none whatsoever for the audience.

You remember how the original Jurassic Park got rereleased in 3D a couple years ago. Well, since I love that film so much, I was immediately sold, if for no other reason than to see it on the big screen again. And yeah, the 3D effects gave me a headache throughout the whole thing, but man oh man was it worth it just to see the scene where the T-rex first escapes the cage. I was terrified. I'm in my late twenties and had already seen that movie a hundred times, and that one scene had me sinking in to my seat praying that the T-rex wouldn't escape from the screen and eat me. That was real terror there. And Jurassic World didn't have any of that. It was just another flashy monster movie.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Oh man what a dumb movie. The more I think about it, the more I dislike it.

Raptor motorcycle gang lasted like maybe two minutes and then it was over, it was over and done and we got a badly lit and shot action scene. Pratt's character was obnoxious and Howard's character was your typical "frigid career woman who secretly wants kids and a man to show her what's what."

There were parts of it I enjoyed. I liked seeing how a functioning version of the park works and thought it was clever how they brought corporate and celebrity sponsorship up, because of course that would happen. World building wise it was successful. But the characters were terrible and if I'm being honest It was kinda sexist throughout (gasp!). The main villain gets killed practically offscreen (I literally yawned and missed it) while assistant lady gets killed in a gruesome 45 second sequence and no one who sees it is shook, not the kids, certainly not Claire (her ostensible friend who clearly trusts her enough to have her take care of family) who makes out with Owen twenty seconds later. I guess we're supposed to be okay with that because assistant lady has a line earlier about not liking her fiances friends? An uncomfortable amount of movies excuse gruesome deaths with, "well she was a frigid ***** anyways," maybe I'm reading too much into this but that was my reaction while watching the movie. Obviously it's a Jurassic Park movie, people are gonna die, it just seemed odd to me to have that be her death while the main villain is killed in seconds almost offscreen. Howard's character wears heels the whole fucking movie and can outrun a T. Rex, sure, okay. The giant sea monster's enclosure is right by a pedestrian walkway and it can just flop up whenever to eat bad dinosaurs (or, you know, anyone walking there). Actually, maybe I got that mixed up and they were somewhere else, I kinda checked out in the end and the whole thing was so badly lit I could barely tell what was going on anyway. And Ingen was actually being more stupid than Umbrella Corp, somehow. I mean Umbrella got those later Tyrant models down, they were viable BOW's. But velociraptors and little I. Rex's? Shit's dumb.

Man the more I think about this movie the more disappointed I am with it.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
croc3629 said:

Could you go into more detail please?

OT: I can't be the only one who noticed that T-rex served the same purpose as Godzilla from last year? However I'd argue that Jurassic World does the delayed gratification thing somehow worse. Say what you will about Godzilla in his movie, but at least he was fucking in it before the big fight at the end. T-rex though, was a non entity before that point, that could have been replaced by anything. Don't believe me?

T-rex iconic? No, but that isn't the point here. The point is that this is a dinosaur on Rexy's level that could have filled in for the role. Please don't take this as the final scene wasn't kickass, but you can't have an element only become relevant whenever it's convenient outside of one moment earlier that lasts only a few seconds.