Jury rules Casey Anthony Not Guilty

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
internetzealot1 said:
Would've been convicted if she was a man.
It would have seemed absurd. Men killing their own children is almost unheard of, atleast in America. Always some white woman who drowned her kids, postpartum (I honestly was about to type postmortem) depression or the like.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
DracoSuave said:
Jodah said:
The prosecution dropped the ball. They figured she would be convicted on the charges alone and offered little evidence. I will not give my opinion on her guilt or innocence, just saying it was a poorly prosecuted case.
This.

It does not matter, in a fair criminal system, whether it is likely she killed her children. Your concerns of 'Well, it looks like she probably did it' is meaningless. A jury isn't to look at whether she is the best suspect.

NONE of those things are good enough in a fair court system.

What matters, and all that should matter is:

Is there absolutely no reasonable doubt?

It does not matter that she lied to police. The defense showed she had a history of pathological lying. They showed she was abused by her father, and that triggered her need to lie... thusly removing the 'she lied so she's guilty' scenario from legal consideration.

The defense brought up that the body could have been moved by the one finding it, to which the prosecution could not rebut. If you're a prosecutor, and your case hinges on 'We found the body in her possession' you better damn well prove it was there and it could not have been moved. Finding it is NOT enough.

The defense brought up the idea that her father could have been a reasonable and possible culprit. It does not matter one bit that it's less likely her father did than the defendant. It matters that the prosecution did not rule out her father, and thus, did not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Be GLAD you have a justice system where 'Welp, he looks like a good enough suspect, case closed!' is enough to convict. Where a case has to be worked to the point where prosecution must be air-tight. It's one of the few recourses you have against an unfair law or a police state.
I agree completely. While my gut says "she did it," I suspect that is just my "mob mentality" meter going on alert. The evidence simply was not enough to convict beyond reasonable doubt, and I don't think, had I been in the jury, that I would have entered a guilty verdict. If she did it, then she has to live with it for the rest of her life. If she is innocent, then justice was done. I just hope that people can let her get on with her life.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
Everyone in this thread already made up their minds before the trial starts, and then they claim the justice system is broken when they did not get the result they wanted to hear.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Where the hell do they find these jurors?!

That is beyond ridiculous.
The jurors did their job perfectly. The defense found reasonable doubt in the prosecution's case, and the jurors did exactly what a juror is supposed to do in cases of reasonable doubt: Acquit.

This isn't at all like a civil case where whichever side is most likely wins. It's criminal; all or nothing. Innocent until PROVEN guilty, not unnocent until it seems guilty.

Her guilt was not proven. Case closed.

Comieman

Jul 25, 2010
Honestly? I don't care. It's a small tragedy, but it is not worth all the attention media gives it. There are murders every day here in Moscow, and our media stopped mentioning them because nobody cares and the news stations will lose traffic, lol.

But seriously, I hope someday media will reform and will be showing what's really important: like how HIV is on the downroll, or how Gulf of Mexico is almost back to normal. But no, news are one big pile of soap opera.

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
Comieman said:
But seriously, I hope someday media will reform and will be showing what's really important: like how HIV is on the downroll, or how Gulf of Mexico is almost back to normal. But no, news are one big pile of soap opera.

Looks like someone reads Cracked :D

Comieman

Jul 25, 2010
HumpinHop said:
Comieman said:

Looks like someone reads Cracked :D
I read Cracked instead of news :D

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Eh. I was never emotionaly invested in thsi case, and when Nancy Grace pretty much propped herself up on it since it started, i was at the point where i was hoping the case would go against whatever made Grace happy (I dont care for her).

But now that its over... i still dont care. I think she did it, but then again, the key word is THINK. Not know, and I'm not triyng to push that on anyone else to be their decision.

In the end, the most important thing is a child is dead, she cant come back, and no one was really brought to justice. so another "unsolved" child death case, sadly one of many in the world.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
shes not gonna survive once she gets out. remember the end of phoenix wright justice for all? yeah shes gonna be like that. id go into it further but thats your homework assignment for the day. that and finding out what bribery means, as thats the only way she couldve gotton free

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Cool. It's like OJ all over again.

Minus the bad-ass legal rhymes.
Hey, don't be hating on the OJ trial. Without that, we would never have discovered the wonders of the Chewbacca Defense.

FMAylward

Jan 21, 2010
There is a reason a court and not the media are the people who run trials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14024079

A quick brief of that story.
Someone was arrested for a murder.
Media went crazy saying he was guilty and gave evidence.
The person was then released without charge
A few months later someone else was arrested and admitted to the murder.
Now same papers are on contempt of court charges because their "evidence" would have made a fail trial inpossible.

Though I am guessing there will not be any contempt of court charges against the media in the US due to free speech.

Side note: I also belive that she is guilty but there is no way in hell I would ever give someone the death penalty if no one could tell me if someone had drowned in a pool or suffocation.

By the way is there any kind of protection program in the US to stop someone taking "justice" into their own hands when she gets out?

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Casey Anthony is a disgusting "human". If ever there was a time to dust off the Gallows, it would be to hang her. However since I'm against the death sentence I must rethink my.....no screw it, she should be hung.

I understand they need more evidence to convict her of anything....but come on, It's pretty damn obvious that she's the person behind her daughter's death. I just hope they find more evidence pertaining to the case later and can pull that sorry waste of space in front of a jury again. Too bad they couldn't find something major to prove once and for all that she did it.

bitCrusher

Jul 3, 2011
this all started back in 2008, yet I'm hearing about it now, hmm.

anyway, I read through the wiki article and this is just too suspicious. Everything points to Casey Anthony as the murderer.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
I'm getting sick of these people on hear saying how our system is corrupt and unfair. Sure there were cases in the past the carried some reasonable suspicion on verdict, but those cases have been called out on and have been publicly berated by all judges and even by all the justices on the U.S. Supreme Court. The fact of the matters is while I do not agree with the verdict, the verdict still stands. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" means that there has to be absolutely no doubt in whether or not a person is guilty. The facts from both sides of the case were sort of vague and weak. Along with that there were many other possibilities as to what caused Caylee's death but no one is really sure.

So before you go about saying how our legal system is rubbish, the point of it is to prevent an innocent person from going to jail, not to agree with your what the verdict should be (unless your in jury of course).

Remember, you are entitled to your opinion of her innocence. Although she may have been found not guilty of murder, like most of you(myself included)I still think she was guilty, and knowing the sheer number of many other Americans disproving of the verdict she is going to have an incredibly hard life ahead of her both mentally and physically.

If you want to absent mindlessly vent your frustration then just got to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfhHdM-dArE

sorry about the abrasiveness but some of these comments are getting a little out of hand

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
Just as well she wasn't on the jury then.
Agreed. Now I don't know much about the case, but it sounds like the only evidence of her guilt is that she wasn't sufficiently sad about her child's death, and partied afterwards.

That makes her a worthless ****, but it doesn't make her a murderer. A court of law needs to be impartial and require hard evidence, and I just don't see that here.