Just about games

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Super Cyborg said:
So far, how would you compare it to the first Revelations? If it's like that, even if not as good, it will be one I'll pick up once all the episodes come out, because I start a game and finish it, especially for titles that might be 20 hours top.
I've only ever played the demo of the first Revelations, and I barely remember much of it. But considering I actually felt like putting the effort into the sequel I'd assume I like it more. Though it does seem like a better fit for co-op. It's hard to take advantage of the qualities of two characters when you can only control one at a time, and I didn't just wanna go switching characters every couple of minutes. So if you can get someone to partner up with you I'd recommend you do that. The game has splitscreen, so no need to go online.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
1) Most recently I've been playing through Pokemon Y and Fire Emblem: Awakening again on my newly-acquired New 3DS. Loving the improved 3D, it's just too bad that Pokemon has very little 3D sections and Fire Emblem's 3D is weirdly disorientating.

2) I don't play games on very difficult settings, so I'm not sure what to say. I've downloaded the GBA Fire Emblem game on the Wii U and keeping everyone alive is a bit tricky later on. That's why I love Awakening for having the option to remove permadeath.

3) Unsurprisingly, I'm looking forward to seeing what Pokemon main series game is coming out this year (most likely Pokemon Z), and I'm absolutely thrilled a new Fire Emblem game is coming out since I thought that that Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem thing was the only Fire Emblem being worked on.

Then there's also the new Ratchet and Clank, the new Ys game, Disgaea 5, Mass Effect 4 and No Man's Sky.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
1. Been playing through Valkyria Chronicles as it is a game I've been putting off for way too long. Currently just loving the art style and the story, it's great. The combat is quite fun as well, and it feels so great when I manage to pull off a tactic that works.
Also loving the whole potential system as it gives some interesting depth and synergy to your squad. Although this can also somewhat mess things up too like when you get things that just don't really make much sense. Like say an engineer afraid of tanks, a shocktrooper that does not like to get shot at, or a lonely sniper. But again, it sort of force you to treat every character differently and not just based on it's class.

Another thing about the game that I find sorta annoying is that it REALLY likes to toss curve balls at you. Things can suddenly just spawn and mess up everything, like this chick that was immune to all damage.
So to counter that bullshit I just started savescumming like no tomorrow and explained it as "Hey I am just a time traveling commander, deal with it".

The mix between turn based and active reaction shots was a rough transition from X-Com, but it is actually rather great once I got used to it.

Best thing about it though is the art style, oh my god, it just looks so great. And those little text things for sound.. just perfect.

2. Been having trouble with X-com: Long war for the longest time, usually just got to that mission where you attack your first landed assult ship or whatever it is. It always had about 7 outsiders in the last room and never was prepared to face that.
After some serious thinking and planing ahead I finally got past it and beat the damn game. The answer for me was just to heavily use infantry and snipers, playing as defensive as possible. Found out that the best way to beat things was to set up in a good spot, send one fast dude ahead to uncover things and then hightail back to the others. After a few turns they would come into sight and be mowed down by sentinel overwatch fire. Cheap? sure, but hey it works.

Another thing that also helped and sort of made the run possible at all was that I completely ignored armor (as I never got shot at) and used all that money and research for my aircraft. Shooting things down was way more important than I thought.

3. Hmm.. Not many games I'm looking forward to. Basically I just look for things that are already out, but if I had to say one I guess GTA V would be one. I have a ton of games that I want to play first though so in no real hurry.

What I am looking forward to though is not exactly a new game, but rather the coming patches for Elite:Dangerous.
Can't wait for 1.2 to drop, and they just teased about what's coming in 1.3 and it sounds very promising.

Sep 14, 2009
Phasmal said:
2. The reason I made this thread- I beat the third boss on Rogue Legacy after dying on it way, way too many times. I have no idea how I'm going to beat the secret bosses.

3. Final Fantasy X/X2 rerelease on the PS4 which just got a release date of May 15th. I never finished those games and I really really wanted to, so hopefully this time I'll manage it.

oof, that game has beat me to my knees, it takes a GREAT amount of skill to play, I respect it, but I don't have the determination to get past the 2nd and 3rd boss, even though I've seen it done on youtube.

Are those just re-release ports to the ps4, or are those the HD versions?

I might get a ps4 early to play those games... (looking forward to ff15 and kh3 mostly which don't come out until late this year if not next year.)

1.What was the last game you played? How are you finding it?

Dragonball Xenoverse. I'm having alot more fun with it then I thought I would, the customization options are WONDERFUL and I feel like I'm really getting the hang of alot of the moves/fighting styles, BUT I did just get to the end of the cell saga, and these super saiyans are driving me insane in the parallel missions, too many damn ultimate attacks firing off.

2.What is the last thing in a game you had difficulty with and overcame?

Well yesterday I was having problems with freiza in the campaign, his mission is VERY long before you reach a "checkpoint", and his stupid ultimate attacks can take out half your health even if they just barely graze you, so I kept getting wrecked by that about 80% the way through the battle. When I finally beat him it was with krillin's orin combo, and damn did that feel good to pound his huge fucking wrecking ball head into the ground.

3.What games are you looking forward to?

pillars of eternity and the witcher 3 are the 2 big ones coming up soon here, otherwise ff15 and kh3 are on my radar as well, can't think of much more off the top of my head.

Sep 14, 2009
Dalisclock said:
2. In KSP I'm trying to build a rocket capable of getting a lander to the moon, land and coming back. The problem is playing in Science mode, so I don't have the heavier rocket parts or fuel lines so I'm having problems building a big enough rocket that won't shake itself apart before reaching orbit. I also kind of need to go to the Mun to get more science to get better stuff. So I'm kind of frustrated by that now.

3. Well, soon I'm gonna start playing Crusader Kings II for the first time. However, I also really want to replay AC2,BH,Rev and ACIII in sequence and more or less back to back. So I'm probably gonna jump into that after I finish HW. Or I'll play HW:Cataclysm for the first time(I've owned the game for a decade and not played it yet. I'm a bad person).
Not judging you either way, but do you have your fuel lines setup in asparagus staging? between that staging and not going FULL POWER right off the bat helps a TON in fuel efficiency, I forgot off the top of my head what it was, but there is a certain speed you're supposed to go until you reach a certain elevation, otherwise you're wasting too much fuel trying to tank through the air resistence when you can save it until you get out of the atmosphere.

Look into those if you need help getting out of the atmosphere in a efficient way.

I would HIGHLY recommend watching some tutorial let's plays of CK2 before you hop into the game, the tutorial in game is shit (nice try by the developers at least) and it's so much better watching someone and having them explain stuff, because there are a crapload of buttons and menus you have to deal with when playing the game.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Oy yes!

Chrono Trigger. I quite like it, although it seems a bit ... linear. And it is for kids. Not that there is anything wrong about it, but I like story a bit darker. Aside from that, really fun.

Hmm, probably the Dark Souls 2 DLCs. They were hard and playing pure mage is, let's just say, a bit nerfed to the ground.

Witcher 3. My new PC is ready!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK

War Thunder. Sure, it is a bit of a grind, especially at the higher tiers, but for a free to play game, it is certainly a great one. The flying is also probably the best I have seen in a game, to the point where it puts a AAA game like BF4's jet gameplay to shame.

Playing MOBAs online. I have a crippling fear of playing MOBAs online, especially when I am playing on my own, but I have been playing a lot of Heroes of the Storm recently, and at the time, nobody else who I knew had it, so I was just running into solo queues a lot. Sure, there are some toxic people in there, like every other MOBA or game ever, but the people seemed friendly enough.

Halo: Master Chief Collection. Im getting an Xbox for my 18th birthday next month, and getting the MCC is an obvious choice for someone like me who grew up playing a lot of Halo. I have never been more excited for a few games that I have already played multiple times before.

Arkham Knight. I loved all of the previous Arkham games, and I intend to play the finale. Good thing that Rocksteady is making it again this time, but I am interested to see what they are going to do afterwards.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Last game I put good time into was Majora's Mask 3D. Found it absolutely awesome in pretty much every way. Hadn't played it on the 64.

The secret level "Snow Go Mountain" in Yoshi's New Island (5-S). Insanely hard. There are no permanent platforms at all; you have to play the whole level jumping off Bullet Bills and flutter-jumping. A foot wrong and you're gone.

Hrmm... Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, and Arkham Knight.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Mount and Blade: Warband. I started a new character a couple of days ago. It was just as great as it always was.

Again, Mount and Blade: Warband. I wasn't paying attention and ran into an army four times my size. Mine was full of crappy units and theirs was not. Balanced Light Lance FTW!

I suppose MGSV is the only one right now.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I have been playing sunless sea and I have been quite enjoying it.
It can be quite frustrating though as it is very hard to turn over a profit and upgrade your ship.

The last thing I had difficulty with in a game was just trying to get it to run smoothly.
I am using a uk plug for my laptop which is being converted through a US adaptor. I started getting lag on games that ran fine back home in 'in-ger-land' so i'm pretty sure I am losing power through that which is affecting performance.
some tweeking of the battery and laptop performance fixed this but I don't feel things are quite the same.

I don't think there are any games I am looking forward to sadly.
Makes me feel like I am having a crisis of gaming confidence or something but nothing lately has really stood out for me.
Sunless sea has been pretty good but it hasn't had that wow factor. Not for me anyway.
Perhaps I am growing out of playing games?

I have thought about what kind of game I would love to play lately and I think if they remade sid meyiers alpha centauri and allowed me to play against others online I would be very happy with that.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
1. What was the last game you played? How are you finding it?

I'm doing another playthrough of Shadow of Mordor. Really enjoyed it the first time I played it, and now there's a bunch of DLC out that I haven't played.

2. What is the last thing in a game you had difficulty with and overcame?

Flamelurker on Demon's Souls. Fuck that thing.

3. What games are you looking forward to?

The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Batman Arkham Knight. Just kinda gutted that I can't get Bloodborne on PC.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010

Skyrim and...well it's Skyrim. Not the best game but you can mod the shit out of it and its good for exploration and messing around.

I use the Alternate Start mod. I decide to make a Dunmer refuge in Raven Rock and see how it goes from there. I hadn't finished the dragon born DLC before so didn't really know what to expect. I tried to take on Raven Rock mine/Bloodskal barrow at level 1 with a single lockpick, a shitty iron dagger, a pick axe, the basic lightning attack spell, a crappy shield I found lying around and whatever equipment I could scrounge up in there. This dungeon was not meant for level 1 but I managed it with carefull blocking and dodging though I did have to slowly sneak around the 2 deathlords and run like little ***** from the dragon priest (it took 3-4 hits before the damage to his health was even visible on his health bar, not going to win that fight). Still it was fun and attempting to find out the truth about the mines closure and finding bloodskal makes for a decent kicking off point for a character IMO.

Before that Lud and Zallen in the DS2 DLC. Most annoying bossfight in the game since even getting there to try is a pain.

Hmm nothing I'm really hyped for, maybe Pilars of Eternity and Mirrors Edge. Witcher 3....probably won't run on my computer and there are things about that series which I love but also things I really hate so I'm bit torn on whether I want to get it or not. I want Bloodborne and Rise of the Tomb Raider but sadly they are exclusives. It's a dick move in the case of TR though I bet it's going to be a timed exclusive.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
1. GTAV, sold it one and a half years ago (or 2 weeks after release), bought it again 2 weeks ago. Wanted to play a modern GTA but IV isn't good in my oppinion. I still fear that I will stop playing it when I've done the story missions because fuck multiplayer.
Atleast I have more respect for Franklin now than when I was palying it for the first time, still my leats favorite V protagonist.

2. Most likely learning how to play Borderlands 2 at OP8. Which was roughly a year ago.
For those who don't know, OP8 means everything is around level 80, except for your character, who is lvl72 but you can still use lvl80 gear. When I did learn how to play it at that level I found the game way too easy again.

Another eample would be the A.I. in Skullgirls. First fighting game I've played in years and it showed. Sadly barely play it now that I have Guilty Gear for my PS2.

No new games that have yet to be released, though Carmageddon Reincarnation gets a mention.
I look forward to playing King's Field (KF2 in Japan) and Ico. Both are bought today and I can't wait to gett the time to play them.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
gmaverick019 said:
Not judging you either way, but do you have your fuel lines setup in asparagus staging? between that staging and not going FULL POWER right off the bat helps a TON in fuel efficiency, I forgot off the top of my head what it was, but there is a certain speed you're supposed to go until you reach a certain elevation, otherwise you're wasting too much fuel trying to tank through the air resistence when you can save it until you get out of the atmosphere.

Look into those if you need help getting out of the atmosphere in a efficient way.

I would HIGHLY recommend watching some tutorial let's plays of CK2 before you hop into the game, the tutorial in game is shit (nice try by the developers at least) and it's so much better watching someone and having them explain stuff, because there are a crapload of buttons and menus you have to deal with when playing the game.
Well, the trick is I don't have fuel lines yet, so I can't use them for rocket building. So either I need to scrouge up some more science to get them or try something else.

Appreciate the advice on CK2. A friend of mine told me the same thing, to check out the forums before trying. I'm prepared for the idea the game is going to very difficult to get into but it sounds so interesting as well.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
1. My beautiful Midnight Purp 3DS had a bit of a hardware malfunction, so I picked up a used XL, and Alpha Sapphire with it. Gotta say, I knew I would hate it, but I'm at the Delta episode right now. I've always thought Gen III was one of the worst of the series, I just didn't care for the atmosphere or new Pokemon that much. But now that I'm playing it again, and with the updates, I can see why it's getting on my nerves. HMs need to go, I keep having to switch out party members to go and get the Linoone that knows 4 HM moves and then the Starmie that has the three water HM moves. At least the Eon Flute lets me fly, but the cutscene starts seeming to drag on after a while. It just seems badly planned as a region. It is beautiful though, I'll give it that.

2. Still over coming it, apparently Nintendo wants children to stay up late, because if you change the time, like I did today for daylight savings and also to make Regigas appear, all legends disappear for twenty-four hours, which means the Lake Trio is going to be a major pain in my ass. Another design flaw. One last gripe I have is I got a Porygon-Z in a trade in X and was able to use it in Rating Battles, apparently it was hacked into existence and I can't use it anymore. It was my ace, which could easily be replaced with Greninja, except I have an honour code and don't use Legendaries or Ubers in online battles.

3. I'm eagerly awaiting the third One Piece: Kaizoku Mousuo game, but besides that, I'm stepping back from the scene for a while. I don't have money to upgrade to new hardware, I had to sell my Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest edition to get the XL, plus a ton of other games. I look forward to watching either SSOHPKC or TBFP play Bloodborne though.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
Valiant Hearts, since it came on Playstation Plus this month. It's been a long time since I found myself smiling behind the controller for a long time. The vehicle sections are so ridiculously fun, with their rhythm based on the soundtrack( except the last one, fuck the last one). The visuals are great, the cartoony style suit the small emotions behind each action and character very well.
It's too bad that the puzzle design is so horrible at certain points. The few puzzles that genuinely stumped me were solved by using an action that in similar situations in the game are not allowed. Sometimes the solution is simply counter intuitive, like sending your dog in the reach of a dude with a flamethrower, who has previously displayed to try and flame everything in his reach. Other times the puzzles are simply pixelhunts, when you need to search every single inch of every single room to find puzzle-solution-object #254688. The rest of the puzzles are simply Zelda puzzles, in which you need object B to get object A, but you need object C to get B and object D to get C and so on...
A lot of the times, it deletes all urgency if I have to run away from the person needing help, because I need arbitrary puzzle object #15366 to fit into your puzzle-object #15366 shaped hole.

And the last vehicle section is rife with instant kills that are not telegraphed at all. So it turns into trial and error untill you learn the pattern the AI holds to. Every vehicle sections uses the same pattern every run, but none of them feature such unavoidable instakills.

Having said all that, I still think it's one of the better games i've played recently.

I had a lot of trouble in Destiny finding groups to run the raids succesfully. Once you have run a few raids succesfully though, people remember your name and you'll get invited back into good groups. Once you find a dedicated clan, you'll have groups every night if you wish. This did take me a couple of weeks of endgame grinding to achieve this though.

Tip to knowing a good group from a bad or toxic one : good groups do not ask for gear requirements and only for max level requirements if it's obviously needed for that specific activity. If their LFG says 'need maxed gjallerhorn' or 'must have Maxed Icebreaker', don't bother.

Mirror's edge 2 was originally announced for this year, but i'm already expecting a delay. Similarly with Beyond Good & Evil 2, which will only be released once Ubisoft wakes up from making the same games every year to focus on their original stuff.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
King of the Dragon Pass

Explanation: My PC broke down and i built myself a replacement... which just doesn't have the power to run something new, so i am playing my old GoG-bought games.

I love that game. Excellent (stress-less, but exciting) gameplay, lore - very detail-oriented, GREAT art. Sometimes it is a bit infuriating (Erratic battle-results or massively wasted resources on risky actions are sometimes REALLY annoying.) Sending out 25 weaponthanes with your best military leader on a short-ranged scout-mission... They all never came back, yay) But overall: very good, very unique game.

Well, learning King of the Dragon Pass. I think i started the game about 5-6 times and did dozens of turns before i got a feel for the rules. One mistake with the crops, sick farmers, misplaced resources will totally fuck your clan up in a huge snowball-effect. (And i refuse to play on EASY-Mode - What am i, a dirty casual? (Just kidding))

Just before my PC thought that blue screens would be fun i got the Sunless Sea beta code... still hoping to play it soon. Hearing a lot of good things about it. Also a few Early-Access games will be nearing fruition the next few months.

And i am thinking about supporting Crowfall (Even though it's not 100% what i want... also the name is stupid)

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I just finished a 2 hour stint playing Forza Motorsport 5. I keep thinking I should write a review. It's only worth a 6 or a 7 out of 10 as it stands. The driving is great but the game (as well as the achievements) are just a huge grind. The physics and the graphics are amazing but this game lacks soul.

It was probably some of the Saints Row IV side missions. Some of them are annoyingly tedious and have rather strict limits to getting the gold medals. But the game itself is a blast so that's nice.

Batman: Arkham Knight, Silent Hills, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege, The Legend of Zelda (Wii U), Mighty Number 9 (basically Mega Man), Tom Clancy's The Division, Star Wars: Battlefront (I still play part II regularly), and Quantum Break.

I may never sleep again!

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
last game I played:
I just finished the story line of Strength of the Sword 3. The game is pure win and more people need to play it. On my Vita I have Dragon's Crown, which is a nice distraction and has a surprisingly active online community.

last challenge I overcame
well, SotS3 is a very challenging game and I beat the final boss only in my second sitting (all in all probably a good 10 tries). last week I unlocked level 40 in Velocity 2x and decided that getting to level 50 probably won't happen.

Looking forward to
Of course Strength of the Sword Ultimate (kickstarter is still open, but they are fully funded and all stretch goals reached). Devil's Third for some tough Itagaki love. Somebody above mentioned Mirror's Edge 2. If I believed in that game I would also very much look forward to it.