Just finished one of the best games i've ever playd, 13 years too late.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I picked up FF9 on a whim recently. I've never played a Final Fantasy before, but I'm liking it so far. It's like a movie, I don't quite understand why they made it a game, but meh. It's nice and long and I don't have to do much, it's good for lazy days.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Still need to get around to beating that game one of these days. Only got partway through it, the quit. I am very curious to see where all the praise it gets comes from. XD

OT: Most of the games I play are like that. I buy a lot of older games, so it only makes sense that that happens to me most of the time. Especially with all the kick-ass sales GOG has been having lately (hot damn, are their sales good). :p

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Lucky bastards. I wish I could play Planescape Torment for the first time again.
The part where you read "Don't trust the skull." and hearing Ravel say "What can change the nature of a man?" are two of the best moments in anything ever.

Don't really have an old game I just got in to. Picked up Psychonauts from the Steam sale, but I'm trapped by FTL at the moment.
Anthraxus said:
Since you really liked PST, I would also recommend the Mask of the Betrayer. You don't need to play through the very mediocre NWN 2 OC. Jump right to MotB. Also Vampire: Bloodlines.
Might want to throw Arcanum, another Troika game, into that list.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Final Fantasy I&II Dawn of Souls, Final Fantasy IV Advance, Final Fantasy V Advance and Final Fantasy VII Advance.

Before this year I had never played a single Final Fantasy that came before FF7.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
A majority of the NES games I have are ones I never had a chance to play when those games were new. This is either because they were too new (I came out the same year as Megaman 2!) or...well yeah it's all to do with my age. Adventure Island, Castlevania 2, Castlevania 3, Double Dragon, Gargoyle's Quest II, Dragon Warrior...I played these all quite recently but was unable to when they were new.

As for more modern games, I just got Shadows of the Damned and Killer 7 on more or less the same day.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Playing both the original Fallouts right now.
Why didn't I get born 10 years earlier.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
krazykidd said:
I played xenosaga episode 3 about two months ago. First game to make me cry ,it was . And not just get wattery eyed , oh no . I cried like a little ***** .
I have all 3 games, but I just cannot get into the first one. The combat is just so bad... I wonder if it'd be worth it to just start playing at 2 and go on from there...

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I only just played Persona 3 and 4 this year.

Also I really should get around to playing Planescape. I've got it on my GOG account yet I've never even downloaded it.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
The_Great_Galendo said:
I was about six years late playing Portal.
oh my gosh, is Portal really 6 years old? jeez that makes me feel old.

I recently began playing Rome Total war. I loved Shogun 2, so i decided to ply the older ones. They're ok, but I like to play it when I get amped for Rome 2

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Like so many others, decided to pick the Orange Box early 2011 and was very surprised to find that Half-Life 2 and Portal actually does deserve most of the praise.

Half-Life 2's graphics were still appealing to me, but I was mostly amazed by the really fluent game play (on computer), the concept design, and the string of big and interesting challenges popping up one after another. I didn't think much of the story and the characters, though I was very happy to find out they weren't painful to listen to like so many games released that year *SC2*.

Portal I give almost the exact same compliments but instead of big exciting events (though there were a few) it was funny listening to Glados the whole time, also a really good ending while I preferred HL2 intro.

Both are high up on my greatest experiences list, Half Life 2 possibly taking the top spot.

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
Earlier this year, I got my (internet)hands on a copy of Evil Genius from GOG. And it was awesome! Heck I didn't even feel that the graphics were bad! Because they weren't!

...So, yeah. A old game that isn't very much talked about. I guess I've just gotten better at getting the games I actually want sooner rather than later.

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
Vampire the Masquerade
Both of them
I played them Years after they were released
I played Redemption the year after Bloodlines came out and Bloodlines several years later due to my owning old hardware
Both are very good, I think the story of Redemption is better than bloodlines but Bloodlines has much better game mechanics
I would be ecstatic to see either of these remade or see another made, it still survives as a tabletop RPG

Rise of the Triad
Fantastic game crazy guns and enemies that would actually TRY to dodge your shots, very fun
they're remaking it and if it's half as good as the original it will shoot COD in the crotch and kneecap Halo

an874

Jul 17, 2009
I'm 23 now and first played Chrono Trigger when I was 19. The graphics were old but I found that and the overall art style charming, not to mention I loved the combat in that game. It's the game that showed me I could like turn based in tradition of Final Fantasy, (in spite of the fact that I have yet find another game of this type that I liked). To this day it's one of only two JRPG's that I actually liked enough to see through to the end (the other being Tales of Vesperia).

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Half Life 2.

Oh no wait, that aged like Margaret Thatcher.

Half Life and Doom are standout ones.
Stronghold and Stronghold 2 are quite fun.
I found Rome Total War about 4/5 years after release but that doesn't really count.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Well, I don't think I've ever played anything "too late." I'm not sure what that means, exactly. That you've been spoiled by modern day graphics and don't appreciate it as much?

Errmmm...I feel I'd have appreciated OoT and MM a bit more if I hadn't first played them in the Collector's Edition. I liked the Demo of WindWaker the most, and ended up getting that game and beating it first. Going from my amazing exploration adventure on the Great Sea to just running around Hyrule-where everything is within running distance of about three minutes-I just didn't enjoy it as much. Maybe if I'd played them when the N64 had come out. It wasn't even a graphics issue, I just really, really love games on the open ocean. Something in me just shouts adventure when I see a boat and open water in a game. Maybe I was once a pirate :p

I can think of two that I wish I'd played earlier. The .Hack series, and the Persona series.

I was over at my friend's house, looking through his PS2 games, and came across the first volume of .Hack://G.U. "Hmm...hey, can I borrow this?"
"Huh? Yeah, sure, grab the second one, too, it's right there."
"What's the story like?"
"Well, basically you're in this online game...there were games before it, but you shouldn't need to play them to get the story, there's just stuff you'd understand more if you did."
So, for 80+ hours, I played through the first two G.U. games, loved them. Surprisingly, the very next month, the third volume came out, and my friend allowed me to play through it because he was just too busy to play it himself. I still need to play the first .Hacks, though.

Same deal with Persona. "Hey, can I try this 'Persona 3'?"
"Yeah, why don't you borrow Persona 4, too. The stories are separate, so you don't need to play one before the other to understand anything."

I wish I'd played them earlier because I would have had more free time ^^' It's tough investing hours upon hours in Persona when you're balancing college and a job.

I bought Persona 1 for my PSP a few months back, and I'm not really liking it all that much. It's just so different than P3 and P4.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I made it a personal tradition to power through an old-school Castlevania on Halloween night, this year it was Bloodlines on the Genesis. It had some problem, like Dracula looking like he and his attacks came out of the default objects in a game-maker program; however it was really fun. Also, any good 8-bit game seems immune to age when I play it, don't know why, I just can't complain about 8-bit graphics.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I played and Beat Earthbound about two, three years ago, and Now I really want to find a copy of Mother 3 legally so I can play the next chapter.

I got through Manhunt, which a lot of people didn't like, and it really isn't very good, but The last level against Piggsy is worth playing through the entire game.

Also, not that long ago, I beat Mega Man Legends. I've had it for years, and I beat it early this year. I don't know if I'll ever put money down for Mega Man Legends 2, but I had a lot of fun with the game I had.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
I somehow had missed the original Fallouts until two years ago. No excuse. I had PS:T the month it came out, mostly because I actually loved table-top PlaneScape. I was in my late teens when Fallout came out. I simply missed it and never picked it up.

Fallout, like PS:T, holds up due to its narrative and writing. Gameplay is actually solid.

I'd likewise missed Earthbound until about three years ago. It was humorous and witty and an experience I did not want to repeat. JRPGs are rarely games with high replay value for me. That's opinion, not a slam on a genre.

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
Signa said:
I've been playing my SNES a bit lately. I'm going through Secret of Mana and finding myself rather underwhelmed. The translation is very shoddy, and the story is bare-bones RPG cliches. I also played a bit of Deus Ex this summer. I didn't get around to beating it, but holy hell was that game ahead of its time.
I really enjoyed Secret of Mana. All the Mana games were pretty good. I can't stand the music in the Dwarf place close to the start of the game though. Worst video game music I have ever heard in my life.

On topic, I think my best example would be Rune. Got that on Steam when it came out and loved it. Not sure if it counts but I guess when the Dark Souls port came out was when I started playing that and it amazed me. Aaaaand I bought the first Fable years ago and haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Also, loved Dragon Age: Origins. Still haven't played more than an hour of DA2. Not because of anything I don't like about it, mind you... it just feels like too much of a commitment to start a game like that sometimes I guess haha