Just finished one of the best games i've ever playd, 13 years too late.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
keiji_Maeda said:
My friends did try to get me into NWN, but it never really gripped like BG II or Fallout I&II. But if you say NWN is a good game i'll give it a swing. Just two Questions.

I) is NWN II vanilla THAT bad that i don't want to play it just to get a MC into MotB?

II) have you played a dance of rogues, if so. is it as good as i've been led to believe?
To answer your first question, no, it's not really that bad. NWN2's original campaign is alright but also not nearly good enough to be a draw for the game in and of itself. I remember it semi fondly but I've also never felt the urge to replay that campaign either, which is pretty unusual from a person with a penchant for replaying every rpg at least twice. Too much filler for my tastes before it got to the genuinely good stuff. Still that good stuff *is* there, so the OC shouldn't be written off entirely.

So in the end worth a playthrough and it's got its high points, but one can be forgiven if they decide to skip it as well. The story of the original campaign is also only slightly related to that of Mask of the Betrayer, so while you might find yourself confused by a few references that show up for the most part you can play Masks without having played the OC.

And for what it's worth Mask of the Betrayer is a fantastic experience and one beyond doubt worth playing for anyone who's enjoyed Planescape: Torment and wants more game in that sort of vein. Add to that access to a massive library of fan campaign out there, some of which are genuinely brilliant and quality expansions in their own rights, and getting NWN2 'complete' (As well as NWN1 for that matter for much the same reason) is great value for any rpg fan.

As for A Dance with Rogues, I have actually played it. Not really my thing but when it's one of the highest rated NWN mods out there I figured I'd give it a shot and, surprisingly, it's actually quite good. That said it's also dirty and immature as all hell which I found to be a major turn off, go figure, but the actual gameplay and rpg mechanics are damned solid especially for what's essentially a smut game. Not something I'd generally recommend but if that's what you're looking for, hey, enjoy.

I can however think of much better modules for both Nevewinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 (Linked one of my favourite modules for each game, although there are many more), but if you're really keen on the whole XXX rated rpg thing, hell, give it a go. You can find it on the same website as both the modules linked above.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Vuavu said:
Signa said:
I've been playing my SNES a bit lately. I'm going through Secret of Mana and finding myself rather underwhelmed. The translation is very shoddy, and the story is bare-bones RPG cliches. I also played a bit of Deus Ex this summer. I didn't get around to beating it, but holy hell was that game ahead of its time.
I really enjoyed Secret of Mana. All the Mana games were pretty good. I can't stand the music in the Dwarf place close to the start of the game though. Worst video game music I have ever heard in my life.

On topic, I think my best example would be Rune. Got that on Steam when it came out and loved it. Not sure if it counts but I guess when the Dark Souls port came out was when I started playing that and it amazed me. Aaaaand I bought the first Fable years ago and haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Also, loved Dragon Age: Origins. Still haven't played more than an hour of DA2. Not because of anything I don't like about it, mind you... it just feels like too much of a commitment to start a game like that sometimes I guess haha
Hm, I actually thought the music was one of the strongest points in the game, even the dwarf theme (yes, it is kinda obnoxious, but I also found it catchy). I think one thing that is making it harder for me to like the game as a whole is I'm a huge fan of Secret of Evermore. Being American-made, there are no translation issues, none of the enemies are cute fluffballs, so I don't feel like I'm raping the wilderness as I go from point A to B, the hero has a better story and motivation than just being "the chosen one", and the graphics and music (done by Jermey Soule, no less) are very atmospheric and grim. To this day I can still go back and play it on a whim and have a blast.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Not really, I never paid attention to Minecraft until this year but that doesn't count...

It's never too late to start I guess, I've still never played Zelda Ocarina, Windwaker or a Zelda game full stop.
And I wanna play Fallout 1 & 2 and the OG XCOM.

And I'd love to play FF6... never did play that.

I just haven't got the time these days...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Chemical Alia said:
I played Super Mario 64 in 2003, after I had already beat Super Mario Sunshine. And I hated it. As an early 3d game, it just lacked all character, style and sense of place that the 2d Mario games had before it, and it felt so empty. I had some of the same complaints about the Super Mario Galaxy games though, as well. It's cool that they were trying new things and I totally appreciate that, it just felt like they had to take a massive step back for style and immersion to do that (immersion in a Mario game, lol.)
Mario 64 is one of those groundbreaking games that I'd say you probably "had to be there" to fully appreciate.

OT: I played Chrono Trigger a decade after it's original release and fucking loved it. Such an awesome game.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Well considering I haven't liked this gen much at all, I am not shocked in the least someone found an amazing gem from long ago. As far as I am concerned, that's where the best games are.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
krazykidd said:
kyosai7 said:
krazykidd said:
I played xenosaga episode 3 about two months ago. First game to make me cry ,it was . And not just get wattery eyed , oh no . I cried like a little ***** .
I have all 3 games, but I just cannot get into the first one. The combat is just so bad... I wonder if it'd be worth it to just start playing at 2 and go on from there...
If you can , force your way through it . For the story and the characters it's totally worth it . I agree the combat is TERRIBLE, but i swear if you play all three games back to back , it will all be worth it at the end ! Now if you cannot do that , put in Episode 3 and read/watch the summary for episode 1 , THEN go play episode 2 .

The third game has the best combat and story . But if you go through all three ( like i did ) you get attached to the characters and their personalities.
I equate a game with a great story and bad gameplay to watching a bunch of unexperienced pro-football players acting out Shakespeare. You know the story's great, but it's just painful to sit through.

I popped out Episode 2 as soon as I learned I'd have to "Stock" moves and leave myself rather defenseless, to do anything really useful. Is it really too hard for game developers to take a few ques from Square to make turn-based combat fast, fluid, and overall, fun?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
drthmik said:
Vampire the Masquerade
Both of them
I played them Years after they were released
I played Redemption the year after Bloodlines came out and Bloodlines several years later due to my owning old hardware
Both are very good, I think the story of Redemption is better than bloodlines but Bloodlines has much better game mechanics
I would be ecstatic to see either of these remade or see another made, it still survives as a tabletop RPG

Rise of the Triad
Fantastic game crazy guns and enemies that would actually TRY to dodge your shots, very fun
they're remaking it and if it's half as good as the original it will shoot COD in the crotch and kneecap Halo
Technically Vampire the Masquerade is a dead system, having been replaced by Vampire:The Requiem.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
8 years after is was released I found star wars: knights of the old republic. That game is boss. I also managed to avoid all the spoilers so that was cool too.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
lRookiel said:
Yes, I played the original fallout recently, fucking class game (Still not finished it).
I'm playing it too
moron little me was short on cash so I decided to hit up the merchants quest and now I'm stuck trying to fight the deathclaw with only my dog and being level 5

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
funksobeefy said:
oh my gosh, is Portal really 6 years old? jeez that makes me feel old.
Same. Want something even worse? Monsters Inc. came out almost ten years ago.

OT: I played through HL2 and the episodes a 2 years ago for the first time. And a I beat a Link to the Past for the first time over the summer. It's one of my favourite games and it had been for a while even before I beat it but I kept getting distracted by other games and rowing.

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
Oh, crap, any number of games.

Didn't play Ocarina of Time until a few years back on an emulator.
Same with Chrono Trigger.
Only just started the original Deus Ex this past summer.
Metal Gear Solid 3 /remake/ earlier this year.
Still not even halfway through Final Fantasy VI.
Own a PS1 but not FFVII for some reason.

And I pray the internet will forgive me for this but...

I've never played Half Life.

That's about all I can recall right now.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Raise your hands with me, recent KOTOR fans!

*Entire Internet flips me off*

Oh. OK, back to KOTOR 2!... which I just finished!

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Jfswift said:
Didn't Planescape torment start you with that undead fellow and his floating skull friend? I always hear how good it is but I wasn't really interested in playing it way back when. I'll definitely give it another try though considering the overwhelming positive reviews the escapist members give it.
Yeah, that's the one. It still has one of the best openings I've ever seen in a game.

You wake up on a filthy slab of metal, no idea where you are or how you got there. All around you are surgical tools, medical supplies, and dead bodies on their own filthy slabs of metal being pushed around by other dead bodies. You look down and see that you are covered in scars and tattoos. Not covered as in "there are a lot of them". Every square inch of your flesh is scar tissue. The tattoos seem to be instructions to yourself in case you ever end up in a situation like this.

A disembodied, flayed skull floats over to you and strikes up a casual conversation.

Aaaaand go!

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
drthmik said:
Vampire the Masquerade
Both of them
I played them Years after they were released
I played Redemption the year after Bloodlines came out and Bloodlines several years later due to my owning old hardware
Both are very good, I think the story of Redemption is better than bloodlines but Bloodlines has much better game mechanics
I would be ecstatic to see either of these remade or see another made, it still survives as a tabletop RPG

Rise of the Triad
Fantastic game crazy guns and enemies that would actually TRY to dodge your shots, very fun
they're remaking it and if it's half as good as the original it will shoot COD in the crotch and kneecap Halo
Technically Vampire the Masquerade is a dead system, having been replaced by Vampire:The Requiem.
Not true, as White Wolf is still supporting some of the old game lines via the Classic World of Darkness rebranding. There was actually a new VTM book released last month, "Children of the Revolution". Haven't really kept up with it, but the wiki says it's a book of characters for storyteller use. Requiem definitely receives more support, but VtM is still undead and kicking.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Got all Deus Ex games earlier this year. Finished the first one, have dabbled into the second one. Really tempted to just skip to the third one. Invisible war has a bad case of consolitis.

You know what I liked most about Deus Ex? The voice-acting and AI of the mooks. Whether they dare each other to go after PC for that fat promotion, say "screw it" and run when losing most of their mates or just saying "uh-oh" upon seeing a grenade fly to their feet, they feel surprisingly alive.
So of course in IW not only have I encountered mostly robots so far, one big batch of robots was put there by the same people asking for help. You want me to clean your messes, how about white-listing me for your automated defences -.-

Jordy Hartog

Oct 5, 2012
keiji_Maeda said:
How 'bout it escapists, anyone else played a game way,WAY after it was released? And not really mind the graphics being dated, the gameplay being a tad flat due to age? If not, then dust of that ol' title on the shelf (you KNOW you have one) and rock it, heck, blame me if anyone gives you grief about it.

it's on the house.
I hardly play anything that isn't really old these days because I'm only now getting around to actually buying a lot of games that slipped me by during the years when my PC either wasn't up to snuff or I couldn't buy it due to release or money issues.

Case in point: I only recently bought Portal and played it for the very first time on Monday. And due to Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales I've bought a lot of classic games (Planescape: Torment being one of many) that are now waiting to be played. In fact, the sole reason I got myself a Wii all those years ago is because their Virtual Console would allow me to finally get my hands on those games that I couldn't back in the '90s like Ogre Battle.

About 10 years ago I had a similar experience to you when I finally decided to man the fuck up and finally Finish my very first Final Fantasy game (that is, the very first one I owned) Final Fantasy Legend II.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
kyosai7 said:
krazykidd said:
kyosai7 said:
krazykidd said:
I played xenosaga episode 3 about two months ago. First game to make me cry ,it was . And not just get wattery eyed , oh no . I cried like a little ***** .
I have all 3 games, but I just cannot get into the first one. The combat is just so bad... I wonder if it'd be worth it to just start playing at 2 and go on from there...
If you can , force your way through it . For the story and the characters it's totally worth it . I agree the combat is TERRIBLE, but i swear if you play all three games back to back , it will all be worth it at the end ! Now if you cannot do that , put in Episode 3 and read/watch the summary for episode 1 , THEN go play episode 2 .

The third game has the best combat and story . But if you go through all three ( like i did ) you get attached to the characters and their personalities.
I equate a game with a great story and bad gameplay to watching a bunch of unexperienced pro-football players acting out Shakespeare. You know the story's great, but it's just painful to sit through.

I popped out Episode 2 as soon as I learned I'd have to "Stock" moves and leave myself rather defenseless, to do anything really useful. Is it really too hard for game developers to take a few ques from Square to make turn-based combat fast, fluid, and overall, fun?
Lol . To be fair, it was a rather old game , they were trying to do something different , and keep it similar to xenogears. It's funny how the combat changes in all three games . The combat in the third is exacly that . Fluid and fun ( seriously , i was having battles just because it was fun). I swear i enjoyed grinding . i also terrible gameplay and good story feels like a drag . I won't argue that . I felt it too . Especially in the first game. It get's progressively better though . I get why it would put people off . Hell , it almost put me off . Xenosaga would really need remakes with better combat, but unfortunately that won't happen . So we got what we got i guess . Lol.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Mine would have to be IllBleed, well over eleven years after its release.

I sorely regret not having played it earlier because it's one of the wackiest, craziest and just plain fun games I've ever played. Definitely one of my favourite games of all time now, it's a flawed experience to be sure, but you'll never play anything like it.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
krazykidd said:
kyosai7 said:
krazykidd said:
kyosai7 said:
krazykidd said:

Lol . To be fair, it was a rather old game , they were trying to do something different , and keep it similar to xenogears. It's funny how the combat changes in all three games . The combat in the third is exacly that . Fluid and fun ( seriously , i was having battles just because it was fun). I swear i enjoyed grinding . i also terrible gameplay and good story feels like a drag . I won't argue that . I felt it too . Especially in the first game. It get's progressively better though . I get why it would put people off . Hell , it almost put me off . Xenosaga would really need remakes with better combat, but unfortunately that won't happen . So we got what we got i guess . Lol.
I think I'll go pop Episode 3 in right now, then! Also, Japan got a port of 1 and 2 together for the DS >.>