Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
INB4 Milgram experiment

But yeah that experiment shows that it's not as easy ad you think to just say no to an authority figure even if you want to.
It's not easy, but you still make the choice to obey.
Its not quite as simple as it being a difficult choice, Milgrams study basically suggest that most people will feel coerced into it because it's an authority figure.
Coercion or not, it's ALWAYS your choice. Authority only has meaning if you decide it does.
Again not that simple. If you're being coerced then it's not exactly your choice anymore is it? You're being forced
No, you're just taking the less painful/easier option.
"Power resides where men think it resides. It's a trick. A shadow on the wall."
Have you actually looked at the Milgram experiment? How do you explain what happened in the confines of 'they were just taking the easier option'?

You're looking at this too black and white
Either you "kill" the guy or you don't: I don't see how it could BE any more black and white!
They weren't told to kill the person, they thought it was a learning experiment. The guy in a lab coat makes them feel they HAVE to continue. They don't want to but they're being manipulated into thinking they have no choice.

You're also coming at this with the assumption that people consciously and rationally make every decision which isn't the case. In a situation like this rationality is the last thing to come into play. They'll have been confused and thought they had to without being able to consider consequences.

It's easy to judge them for this but you have no idea how you'd react in a similar situation.
Remember what I said about power being a trick? And just because you don't realize you have a choice doesn't mean it isn't there. I KNOW I have a choice.
How can you decide to make a choice if you don't think that choice is there? That's absurd.

And unless you live in anarchy power is not just a trick. It has consequences

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
XMark said:
So, if someone ordered you to kill someone, with the consequence being that they'll kill you if you don't, you'd take the moral route and sacrifice your own life?

It's easy to pass judgement on someone who was "just following orders" but most of us would do the same if we were actually in that position.
Fuck that shit, if someone gave me the means to kill someone else, ordered me to do so against my will and/or code of morals and ethics under the threat of KILLING ME for failure to comply, I'd just go AWOL, or, if the person giving the order is nearby, turn my weapons on them.

If I get killed in the process, well, no big loss. I was bound to die of old age eventually, and at least this way I don't have to suffer through years of incontinence and senility.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Why are we fighting when we have perfectly good test results? How many times in your life had you made actions you didnt even think about, like putting a leg after the other?
Milgram's experiment is an example that should seal this argument, and Im surprised it even erupted in the first place. You hardly think when you are told to do something. You just do it. After you run for half a year and follow the officers orders, get training in firearma and realize your new job, you just do your job most of the time. Your job being doing what your superiors tell you, though there are exceptions when you are expected to refuae. Only you can identify those instances.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
"I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again."

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions: the ones being ordered and the ones doing the ordering. Now, I'm not saying that everyone will, and I fully understand that sometimes those being ordered are being misled (whether by omission or willfully), but that doesn't remove the fact that someone did something; it does however mitigate it some and throw more blame on the order-er, but in the end it's far too easy for orders to come in and all blame to be dispersed by the words of whoever happened the be the schlub who was the final destination of the order and any kind of punishment to be lost in the gloom of back-tracking where orders came from.

On the other hand I can understand the idea behind it since nobody asks questions or tries to understand reasons for things. Example time: Ex-Soldier wants to get a job, but has to put on his resume or application or whatever that he received a dishonorable discharge for insubordination or dereliction of duties or some such (don't bother me with the exact details of what can constitute a dishonorable discharge in your or any military because you are not omniscient and I'm sure it happens in some ways you don't think it can happen somewhere anyways). Next to nobody's gonna ask the specifics of it from him and those that bother to call up his old superior in the military aren't likely to get an exact answer unless it is something like, "Mr. Ex-Soldier was a douche and was always lazing around, not following orders." This doesn't matter if he wasn't painting rocks while on General Detail or whatever, or if he didn't shoot someone holding a hostage when ordered because he didn't think he avoid the hostage.

Honestly I find it more important that both the order giver and taker assess beforehand what they should do, "Is this order the right thing to do?" If the answer is no to any of those then the order giver is essentially evil and the order taker is sociopathic or desensitized to the point of ethical numbness. Which, sadly, is frequently a relatively desirable quality in militaries (another being able to hide that).

This is all philosophical and academic anyways since none of that kind of garbage is going to change anyways.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
INB4 Milgram experiment

But yeah that experiment shows that it's not as easy ad you think to just say no to an authority figure even if you want to.
Its not quite as simple as it being a difficult choice, Milgrams study basically suggest that most people will feel coerced into it because it's an authority figure.
Coercion or not, it's ALWAYS your choice. Authority only has meaning if you decide it does.
Again not that simple. If you're being coerced then it's not exactly your choice anymore is it? You're being forced
Have you actually looked at the Milgram experiment? How do you explain what happened in the confines of 'they were just taking the easier option'?

Either you "kill" the guy or you don't: I don't see how it could BE any more black and white!
They weren't told to kill the person, they thought it was a learning experiment. The guy in a lab coat makes them feel they HAVE to continue. They don't want to but they're being manipulated into thinking they have no choice.

You're also coming at this with the assumption that people consciously and rationally make every decision which isn't the case. In a situation like this rationality is the last thing to come into play. They'll have been confused and thought they had to without being able to consider consequences.

It's easy to judge them for this but you have no idea how you'd react in a similar situation.
Remember what I said about power being a trick? And just because you don't realize you have a choice doesn't mean it isn't there. I KNOW I have a choice.
How can you decide to make a choice if you don't think that choice is there? That's absurd.

Consequences that you can chose to accept, or you can obey.
There are consequences to driving drunk, but simply the fact that there are doesn't prevent people from doing it. You decide what matters. Anyone can tell you what to do, but in the end
YOU are the one that takes action.
I disagree. The choice was completely logical, reasonable and moral at the time - but now that youre no longer drunk, or now that youre in nurnburg being tried for war crimes, you dont see it the same way with the beer vision, or nazi vision, turned off.

theSHAH

Jul 31, 2011
Depends entirely on who is giving the orders and what those orders are. I'm sure in extreme cases it's easier said then done to simply not follow orders you don't agree with.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
INB4 Milgram experiment

There are consequences to driving drunk, but simply the fact that there are doesn't prevent people from doing it. You decide what matters. Anyone can tell you what to do, but in the end YOU are the one that takes action.
People do not make rational thought out decisions in situations like this, stop assuming that they do.

Not only that but you're judging people for not making choices they didn't even know they COULD make

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Well, you could look at it this way. If you're ordered to kill someone, and the importance of the order, for any reason, outweighs the life of the other person, then that explanation could be valid. It's not a good explanation, mind you, but it is an applicable one. It can also be used to justify doing something heinous (With a feeling of remorse, if you didn't care, you jut don't care), but I'd save it for a situation in which one just didn't care.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hazy992 said:
INB4 Milgram experiment

There are consequences to driving drunk, but simply the fact that there are doesn't prevent people from doing it. You decide what matters. Anyone can tell you what to do, but in the end
YOU are the one that takes action.
I disagree. The choice was completely logical, reasonable and moral at the time - but now that youre no longer drunk, or now that youre in nurnburg being tried for war crimes, you dont see it the same way with the beer vision, or nazi vision, turned off.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
DVS BSTrD said:
I made my choice long before it comes to that.
No you haven't. You think you have, but until you are actually put in those circumstances, you will have no idea what kind of pressure is on you, how your thoughts and fears will affect your cognitive ability, or how the very fact of actually being faced with the circumstances in question will change the way you think about it. Any number of freshmen in philosophy class faced with the question of smothering a baby to save the rest of the family in Nazi Germany will view their answer as self-evident and a no-brainer. But to be actually faced with that is radically different experience than simply being faced with the dillema in class. You can conceptualize smothering that baby easily enough and justify it as for the greater good, and it is similarly easy to imagine your refusal to cross that line and keep the baby alive so you don't become the monster you're hiding from, but imagination alone does not put the gravity of the situation in proper perspective. You are not faced with the fear of discovery, nor the pleading glances of your terrified kin, nor are you faced with the actuality of being the one who has to end the life of a helpless child.

It's easy enough to presuppose your actions, but it's folly to believe that there is no difference between concept and practice. Until you thoroughly understand the situation in question, you cannot say that you know how you'll react. You may hold true to your original position, or the reality of the situation may well paralyze you in a state of indecision, or force you to act contrary to your original thoughts. Your decision is not made until you are actually faced with it. Until such a time, all you have is how you hope you'll have the conviction to act.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
BOOM headshot65 said:
SkellgrimOrDave said:
As a serious point, why do people even consider it a legitimate reason for anything, it's an order, you can disagree with it. There are consequences to disagreeing (none too pretty for most of them) but still, it's a choice. And for some reason it's always seen as reasonable to suggest that people shouldn't be held accountable for their actions because they were ordered to do so. Despite the fact that it's their choice to carry out the order.
Actually, from what I understand of military court marshels, "I was following orders" is NOT a ligitimate excuse and will still get you thrown in jail (and FEDERAL jail which is 10X worse than even the worse super-max) for a very long time. In fact, the military has actually praised soldiers who disobeyed orders to save lives, such as a gunship pilot who threatened to fire on his fellow soldier to try and stop My Lai. Under normal situations, treason punishable by death......the military gave him the Medal of Honor.
I think the only time 'I was following orders' isn't an acceptable excuse ever is when the orders followed are so clearly heinous/war crimes (the only time I can really think of when this was the case is the Nazis during the Nuremberg Trials. I can't remember if this applied to all Nazis, or just the high ranking officers [I'm inclined to say it's the latter]).

Otherwise, I think it's usually acceptable, since it's follow orders or face trial and possible dishonorable discharge (In the book Generation Kill they had a fine example of this. A lieutenant disobeyed orders from a Captain that would have killed several men, and as a result was put under investigation and faced a possible trial, even though he saved the lives of many men [I'm a little sketchy on the finer details, been a while since I last read it]).

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
To put it simply, its pretty much like your boss asking you to come in on Sunday which was your schedueled day off. Its hard to say "no" because you need the money.

I always saw this as something used by cops or military personel and its no different. A cop or person in the military need money and need to do their job, their bosses give them a objective and they do it. They need the money, similar to the person above who would have liked to have sunday off but agreed since he needs money.

"I'm just doing my job" is just another excuse, and, if anything, it is the equal of "I need to do my job, sir, so move aside."

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
A captured German SS commander a man named Hoess was tried and asked why he commited genocide. After the war the man realized what his actions where. When asked if he thought they deserved it he replied, "Don't you see, we SS men were not supposed to think about these things; it never even occured to us- and besides, it was something already taken for granted that the jews were to blame for everything ..... we just never heard anything else. it was not just newspapers like the Stuermer but it was everything we ever heard. Even our military and ideological training took for granted that we had to protect germany from the jews.... it only started to occur to me after the collapse that maybe it was not quite right, after i heard what everybody was saying..... We were all so trained to obey orders without even thinking about that never the thought of disobeying an order would simply never occured to anybody and somebody else would have done just as well if i hadn't.... You can be sure that it was not always a pleasure to see those mountains of corpses and the smell of continual burning- but Himmler had ordered it and had even explained the neccssity and i really never gave it much thought to whether it was wrong. It just seemed a necesity." He was later tried and executed in a polish court in 1947

In fact even the higer ups of germany's war machine were horrified by what they saw. I quote from the book, "According to Hoess they were all struck by the horror of it. 'Some who had previously spoken the most loudly about the neccesity for this extermination fell silent once they actually seen the' final solution of the jewish question.' I was repeatedly asked how i and my men could go on watching these operations and how i and my men could stand it."

If anyone is interested in losing faith in humanityt the book is Weird history 101 by John Richard Stephens.

afbrien

Dec 17, 2010
The 'just following orders' defence is BS. It proves that the person saying it is too stupid, immoral or weak-willed to do what is right, by opting to do what is 'correct'.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
SkellgrimOrDave said:
Evening all, just wondering about that little phrase in the title of the thread.

Why does it hold any weight at all?

As a serious point, why do people even consider it a legitimate reason for anything, it's an order, you can disagree with it. There are consequences to disagreeing (none too pretty for most of them) but still, it's a choice. And for some reason it's always seen as reasonable to suggest that people shouldn't be held accountable for their actions because they were ordered to do so. Despite the fact that it's their choice to carry out the order.

I've always found it a null and void argument not even worth considering, what's everyone elses take on it?
You have no context in your question. I take this as an invitation to hold you in utter contempt, but I won't treat you as though I am.
In answer to your question, yes, it does hold weight. A man who chooses without prompting to commit an action is obviously more responsible for the consequences of that action than someone who chooses to because they have been directed to by an authority figure. To what degree we hold the man who commits the action on orders less responsible depends on what he has done: The Nazis who committed the crimes we attribute with the camps cannot be given an excuse because of the magnitude of their act. We as a society view the genocide and torture of those peoples victimized by the camps and their wardens as heinous crimes against humanity that any moral being has an obligation to protest always, and prevent when possible. A National Guardsman who has been assigned to block access to a path, redirecting you to one you find less convenient, is following his orders. He may not know why you must be inconvenienced. He may feel your inconvenience is not warranted by anything currently going on. But he has to obey these orders to block this path, because his superiors have informed him that there is a need for it to be blocked. He may know why they require this path blocked, or he may not. He does not need to know. He is standing in the way of your quickest path to the smoking area. He is following orders, as he should.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
I despise this phrase. "Just following orders" is a defence used to justify weakness, to shift blame onto someone else. Somewhere along the way YOU decided to obey without questioning, to follow orders that go against your morals, ethics, or wishes. Whether it was done consciously (under duress) or unconsciously (lack of will to do otherwise), it is still your own personal failure. You simply didn't have the strength, the willpower to rise, *think*, and decide.

The weak will always follow the orders of the strong (the perceived "authority"), this is the way of the world. You may spout all you want about equality of all people, but the facts speak for themselves. There will be those who rule, who have the strength of will to follow their own wishes and (moral, ethical, personal) rules and others, who are too weak to resist and are condemned to a pathetic existence of blind obedience. I learned this through personal experience, I was raised as Catholic for the first ten or eleven years of my life, before I told my parents shove that shit where it belongs, so I know what blind obedience means all too well. And my verdict remains: never again.

What I'm basically saying is that anyone who uses the aforementioned phrase to defend his or her actions, should be mericelessly punished. Not exactly for what was done, but for being too weak to act as an independent and intelligent being.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Mortai Gravesend said:
Nazrel said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Irrelevant. You still make choices. Plus you made the choice to become a tool. Fully responsible for it all. Except for reasons of ignorance, but that would involve a bigger plan.
Because getting drafted was completely a choice.
Oh look, it's a side issue! How cute!
It's not a side issue, it directly addresses your statement above about how people choose to become tools.

"Moral Cowardice" is the cry of the self-righteous self-superior who never have and likely never will be put in such a position.
Cases that aren't relevant are the defense of a coward. You're bringing up things that don't apply at the moment, particularly to most of the people here.

P.S.
I am obviously not assuming modern day U.S. for this example.
Yes, I know you're making stupid assumptions to talk about something that isn't very relevant. Woohoo you can bring up cases unlike the ones I had in mind!
We're discussing a concept, not a specific circumstance.

The fact that it does not relate specifically to what you had in mind is fundamentally irrelevant, given that said absolutely nothing to limit the scope of your statements.

I did however; because I knew that somebody would be so narrow of view as to assume modern day U.S. as the sum and total of everything; they incidentally hold a relative minority in ordering atrocities compared to others.

So what? If it's not a first world issue, it's not a issue?

Spouse? Possible concentration camp, or possibly tortured and killed.
But if you pull it the aliens will destroy the Earth. I can make up stuff too.

Children? Re-education camps... assuming they aren't just killed as an example.
No they become deities if you don't. Maybe you're missing the part where people were presumably talking about a more... relevant... situation

All friends and family are at risk of similar fates.
From the aliens if you pull that trigger.

Made up? The former was the Nazi punishment for treason, as latter... believe it or not the Nazi's are not and were not the worst offenders and executing a family for treason is rather a common traditional punishment. Ancient china's Nine familial exterminations, if you want a specific example.

People seem to be missing that you are not the only one at risk when you refuse to pull that trigger.
Doesn't really matter.
You'd condemn your family to death to avoid killing some person you don't know? Which won't save them by the way, because the guy next to you will have the sense to pull the trigger.

If, in the unlikely circumstances, you're put in such a position, and manage to maintain your incredibly vocal convection's; the sight of you and your families corpse's hung on a wall will only reinforce my own outlook.