Just how big is your backlog?

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
So most people have them. If you don't you're probably not a Steam user. So just how many games are in your back log? And how long (based on average completion times) do you think it'll take you to play them?

Using this site I clocked in at just under 737 hours.
http://www.howlongtobeat.com/

And that's just for games I definitely want to play. Somehow I've managed to avoid playing Skyrim at at all yet, so about 20% of that time comes from that one game alone.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
37 video games on PC alone, not counting visual novels. 14 on consoles, a majority of those being Japanese titles. So lot's of playtime.

Nearly every game on PC is an RPG, so probably 20-40 hours as the norm. The rest are a few strategy games I've yet to beat. Visual novels will easily take 30-50 hours. To repeat my line, I would need to not work, socialize, and just sit in my room playing games. To ever catch up.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Elfgore said:
37 video games on PC alone, not counting visual novels. 14 on consoles, a majority of those being Japanese titles. So lot's of playtime.

Nearly every game on PC is an RPG, so probably 20-40 hours as the norm. The rest are a few strategy games I've yet to beat. Visual novels will easily take 30-50 hours. To repeat my line, I would need to not work, socialize, and just sit in my room playing games. To ever catch up.
I believe I've got 32 or so games to catch up on. So yea, hopefully with all the money I'll save by not buying games for the next year or so, I can just buy a better PC.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I was about to make one of these threads. I didn't have a backlog until 2014. After 6 years of Steam, let's just say 2014 was the year I became a victim of Steam sales and impulsive buys. Now everything in my profile is set to private because I don't want my shame displayed for everyone to see.

I used the same site as you and considering only games I'm really interested in, it would take me roughly 700 hours to beat them all. On average I spend 7 or 8 hours/week playing games, so yeah, that's pretty much 2 years to clear my backlog. In other words, I'll never clear it. I'm sure I'll beat some of these games eventually, but I just accepted that a lot of them were bought simply because "wow 75% off? I have to buy it". I'll play them for an hour or two and move on. I resisted the urge to buy these deals for years but I finally cracked.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Thought I'd make a list:

Bastion
Bit Trip Runner 2
Bioshock Infinite
Cave Story+
Cloubdbuilt
Darksiders II
Dirt 3
Enslaved
Guacamelee
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Hard Reset
Marlow Briggs
Megabyte Punch
Portal 2
Sleeping Dogs
Serious Sam 3
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Generations
Strider
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Bulletstorm
COD: Black Ops
Singularity
Super Mario 3D Land
Zelda A Link Between Worlds

That's a lot of fish games! Thinking of starting Enslaved tonight, followed by Strider. What do you guys think I should play next? Some of the games I've beat before (like Sleeping Dogs), and I'm trying not to buy anything until I've cut this down a bit.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Wintermute said:
I was about to make one of these threads. I didn't have a backlog until 2014. After 6 years of Steam, let's just say 2014 was the year I became a victim of Steam sales and impulsive buys. Now everything in my profile is set to private because I don't want my shame displayed for everyone to see.

I used the same site as you and considering only games I'm really interested in, it would take me roughly 700 hours to beat them all. On average I spend 7 or 8 hours/week playing games, so yeah, that's pretty much 2 years to clear my backlog. In other words, I'll never clear it. I'm sure I'll beat some of these games eventually, but I just accepted that a lot of them were bought simply because "wow 75% off? I have to buy it". I'll play them for an hour or two and move on. I resisted the urge to buy these deals for years but I finally cracked.

Oh well, lesson learned.
If you really want to be shamed there's a website that shows how much your steam account it worth :p

But yea, what got me was bundle sales. I'm hoping to push through a bunch of the shorter games first so I can feel like I've put a dent in it.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Hazy992 said:
Thought I'd make a list:

Bastion
Bit Trip Runner 2
Bioshock Infinite
Cave Story+
Cloubdbuilt
Darksiders II
Dirt 3
Enslaved
Guacamelee
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Hard Reset
Marlow Briggs
Megabyte Punch
Portal 2
Sleeping Dogs
Serious Sam 3
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Generations
Strider
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Bulletstorm
COD: Black Ops
Singularity
Super Mario 3D Land
Zelda A Link Between Worlds

That's a lot of fish games! Thinking of starting Enslaved tonight, followed by Strider. What do you guys think I should play next? Some of the games I've beat before (like Sleeping Dogs), and I'm trying not to buy anything until I've cut this down a bit.
I'd be inclined to look at what type of games there are and alternate between them. Right now I'm going to be playing through a chunk of the games in this order:
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Bioshock
Sam&Max season 2
Bioshock 2
Sam&Max Season 3
Bioshock Infinite
Wasteland 2

Just want to alternate genres a bit. That should be good for a couple of months for me.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
About 23.

I'm working through it, bit by bit. Incorporating some of them into reviews, or just playing them for the sake of 'carpe diem' during the holidays.

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
I uh..... I have well over 1000 hours of games to play through. I buy a lot of games on sale, both in store and on Steam... I have a problem.

demonbazza

Aug 10, 2012
With PS+ and sales I'd say about 200 PS3 & Vita titles. I have a compulsive buy problem. Don't expect to finish most of them, but they are there if I ever get a chance. I'm considering a PS4 in the new year which will probably make the problem worse

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Not a lot. I usually wait until I have finished a game before buying a new one.

I have only played an hour of Age of Wonders III, I have to finish Tomb Raider and I haven't even made a start on Anno 2070 despite owning that game for about 2 years

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I've removed things over the last couple of years that I don't expect to ever play, so my real backlog (only including games I've never played, but I own) is sitting pretty at 6 games right now:

1. Ni No Kuni
2. Gothic 2
3. Divinity: Original Sin
4. Wasteland 2
5. Legend of Grimrock 2
6. Door Kickers

There's a few more on my wishlist, and dozens that I've only played once and want to revisit, but for new games (to me) I've got things well under control for once.

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
962.5 hours for 37 games... Well, my uni semester's almost finished so I've got all summer. Should be fun.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
More than I can to remember. I still have about 20 games from the last steam sale I have to catch up on, to include the new Tomb Raider, plus the DLC's for Dark souls 2, plus the updates for both Payday 2 and Warframe, plus Lords of the Fallen releasing in 6 hours, plus a mess of older games from before the steam sale I never got around to playing.

Then there are the MMO's I've been meaning to get back into like War Thunder/WoT, Firefall, and Path of Exile. It's likely for the best I don't push to clear all of those out, but still.

wasabinewt

May 5, 2014
I don't think I should have looked at the site to see how much my steam account was...So, so scary. I hadn't realized I had spent that much over 3 years.

Daft Ada

Sep 9, 2014
At the moment I'm trying to focus on:

Hyrule Warriors - I'm about 80% of the way through the main campaign, and 25% of the first Adventure board. Yet to level up many characters beyond my main three (Link, Impa, Zelda) and have a tonne of content to get through. I doubt I'll get anywhere near 100% but I do aim to at least play through at least a couple of times and clear 80% of the Adventure board. I think it'll keep me busy till Smash Bros is out anyway...

Pokemon Y - Just captured Yveltal, so I think I'm 75% through the main game. I've sturggled to get this far so I'm not interested in any post-game quests/levelling.

Tales Of Xillia - Probably 30% of the way through it. Found it a bit hit and miss so far (Good combat, story and levelling options; terrible graphics, voice acting and overall presentation) but I will finish it eventually.

Intend to finish:

Luigi's Mansion 2
FFX & X-2
Child of Light
Earthbound
NSMB U

Still need to start:

Bravely Default
Black Ops 2 campaign
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Batman Arkham Origins
AC Black Flag
Bayonetta 1 & 2

Still need to buy:

Zelda Link between worlds
M&L Dream Team Bros
Prof Layton Azran Legacy
Layton V Wright
South Park Stick of Truth
Last of Us
Lightning Returns
Borderland Pre-Sequel
Tales of Xillia 2
Fantasy Life
Ys Memories of Celcetta

See you all in about five years!

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
About 12-13, but two of those Destiny and FF14 so who knows how long I could be playing them. I made a list yesterday but I don't have it on me and I'd rather not think it up again.

It is weird though - I do want to play them and almost feel compelled to - but whatever I play first, it almost bugs me that I have to wait to play something else. I'll likely find them all fun regardless, but it feels like a project that I'm supposed to catch up on. I don't think hobbies are meant to be like that!

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Lets change the question how many games I own did I finish. About 5.

The rest is allot... allot yes allot. Oh dear taking in all PS1, PS2, PS3 games I own then adding my steam library I usually bought on clearance. Followed up by some Origin games [command and conquer] and oh yes before I forget good old games [neverwinternights and other old RPG's] . I need a few long vacations. Its allot!

But I don't care, I play for enjoyment. And I don't really care about "Winning" or "finishing"

Hell this is why I don't do shooters, I simply don't care about winning. KD ratios, don't care, once in a counterstrike match I had a KD of 1/20. But I enjoyed myself, shooting that one person with a silenced beginner gun *chuckle* I mean that takes about 5 slow shots... the shame on that person.