Justice League Movie Villain May Not Be Darkseid

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
According to rumors, a character featured in a deleted scene from Batman v. Superman might be the main villain for the upcoming Justice League movie.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-darkseid-may-not-be-dc-films-main-justice-league-villain

I think this might work depending on how it's handled.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think it would be a stupid idea to open with Darkseid. Someone like him needs lengthy introduction and build up. Though maybe not as much as Thanos. That guy will never live up to the hype.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, had the set-up for it been good, Lex Luthor uniting the various hero's nemeses into the first incarnation of The Legion of Doom thus forcing the heroes to unite as their own group would have been cool. But they didn't.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Wait. Dawn of Justice was 2 1/2 hours of sequel bait, and yet the only piece of footage that actually clues you into the next movie is a deleted scene. Are you fucking kidding me?

This just can't be a correct rumor, because that's fucking insane. Which is why it probably is correct. God damn it, DC, stop fucking up.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Bob_McMillan said:
I think it would be a stupid idea to open with Darkseid. Someone like him needs lengthy introduction and build up. Though maybe not as much as Thanos. That guy will never live up to the hype.
Did you see the movie?! Lengthy buildup and careful consideration for comic book structure is NOT part of the equation. Its all about how much they can copy Marvel the quickest.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Steppenwolf, SERIOUSLY?!

On the one hand I suppose it makes sense to make one of Darkseid's lackeys the main villain in preparation for the big guy to show up in part 2.

But on the other hand isn't this exactly the same as The Avengers (an underling to a powerful cosmic villain arrives on Earth to stir up trouble) and there are so many other JLA villains to choose from: Amazo, Brainiac, the Injustice Gang, Vandal Savage or hell even their first villain the comic books Starro the Conqueror, all of which are more popular and well established than Steppenwolf. And if you really wanted one of Darkseid's minions to be the big bad for part 1 why not Granny Goodness, Desaad and Godfrey, those three at least were his trusted lieutenants for decades, while Steppenwolf is basically Starcream except even more pathetic.

It's clear that DC is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Nobody involved in making these movies cares even a little to dig into the universe's mythology and see if they can't make a good story out of it. I'm glad I skipped over BvS and if this rumor is true I'll be skipping the Justice League as well.

Apr 5, 2008
At this point, I've lost interest in whatever DC has planned. Two awful films in a row and no sign of any change in direction. I'm not paying to watch another one in the cinema. I might check out any future, hypothetical DC movie on TV/Streaming/something but I'm not paying the ?10-15 ticket price. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times...

Apr 17, 2009
Honestly I still think Starro would be a better choice.

DCs getting too grimdark? Well here's a giant starfish from space to make things a little goofier!
Villains have weak or randomly changing motivations? He's a giant starfish from space, who the fuck knows what's going through his brain!
Every villain seems to be just "the hero, but evil"? Ain't nobody quite like a giant starfish from space!
Why doesn't Superman just solve everything? The giant starfish from space has mind control powers, Superman's working for him now!
So sick of armies of copy-pasted minions? Our strong independent starfish (from space!) don't need no goons!
Characters only sharing the name of their comic versions and not much else? Giant starfish from space looks and acts exactly like he does in the comics, and lets us recreate that iconic cover!

Seriously, I don't think there's any problem the DCCU has right now that couldn't be solved by a giant starfish from space

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bob_McMillan said:
I think it would be a stupid idea to open with Darkseid.
BVS was 90% stupid ideas, so would it really shock you?

AccursedTheory said:
Wait. Dawn of Justice was 2 1/2 hours of sequel bait, and yet the only piece of footage that actually clues you into the next movie is a deleted scene. Are you fucking kidding me?

This just can't be a correct rumor, because that's fucking insane. Which is why it probably is correct. God damn it, DC, stop fucking up.
I mean, you got there on your own, but I was gonna say "would it really surprise you?"

Also...

Steppenwolf? What. I mean, they're making these movies for mass consumption, right? I think Calendar Man is more in the public eye than Steppenwolf.

Rushing arguably one of Superman's best known foes for a three minute action sequence at the end of a movie, only to make the bad guy in DOJ a significantly less well-known villain revealed only in a deleted scene is a move so dC that if it is just a fake rumour, I have to give credit to whoever made it up for at least being believable.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Something Amyss said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I think it would be a stupid idea to open with Darkseid.
BVS was 90% stupid ideas, so would it really shock you?

AccursedTheory said:

I mean, you got there on your own, but I was gonna say "would it really surprise you?"

Also...

Steppenwolf? What. I mean, they're making these movies for mass consumption, right? I think Calendar Man is more in the public eye than Steppenwolf.

Rushing arguably one of Superman's best known foes for a three minute action sequence at the end of a movie, only to make the bad guy in DOJ a significantly less well-known villain revealed only in a deleted scene is a move so dC that if it is just a fake rumour, I have to give credit to whoever made it up for at least being believable.
You think most of the MCU villains were household names? Why should this be an issue at all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Agent_Z said:
You think most of the MCU villains were household names?
Most of the MCU heroes weren't even household names.

Why should this be an issue at all.
Should, or will? It shouldn't be an issue. DC is assembling some of the best known heroes in comic history in a single movie. What could go wrong? They already did wonderfully with their big three, putting them in a movie that was so well-received it set a record in its second week by sinking the hardest a movie has ever sunk.

You may have noticed, but DC is not Marvel. Marvel took a bunch of B-D listers and made them successful in their own right, and then brought them together for a crossover the likes of which we really haven't seen before. DC led with its three strongest properties and....

Well, I'm sure you know the results.

We're talking about different circumstances, different companies, different models, different buildups, and different writers. Why should we assume the same outcome when provided not only with a poor track record, but also when so many factors are different?

andrewHayes

Dec 1, 2015
I think a better idea would be to have the Justice League fight alternate versions of themselves, while simultaneously opening the audience up to the idea of parallel universes.

The Justice Lords and the Crime Syndicate were some of the best parts of the Justice League cartoon, and DC has the major advantage of using parallel universes to tell stories in contrast to Marvel. Heck, I would love to see a Crisis Crossover in film form. DC just needs to fire Zack Snyder and get somebody competent instead.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
andrewHayes said:
I think a better idea would be to have the Justice League fight alternate versions of themselves, while simultaneously opening the audience up to the idea of parallel universes.

The Justice Lords and the Crime Syndicate were some of the best parts of the Justice League cartoon, and DC has the major advantage of using parallel universes to tell stories in contrast to Marvel. Heck, I would love to see a Crisis Crossover in film form. DC just needs to fire Zack Snyder and get somebody competent instead.
The problem is that the current DC movie line up look like the beginning of the Justice Lords. It may be hard to distinguish them from an alternate 'evil' Justice League.

That, and god damn, how many hero vs. hero movies do you think DC should pull? They already fuck that idea up once.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Something Amyss said:
Agent_Z said:
You think most of the MCU villains were household names?
Most of the MCU heroes weren't even household names.

Why should this be an issue at all.
Should, or will? It shouldn't be an issue. DC is assembling some of the best known heroes in comic history in a single movie. What could go wrong? They already did wonderfully with their big three, putting them in a movie that was so well-received it set a record in its second week by sinking the hardest a movie has ever sunk.

You may have noticed, but DC is not Marvel. Marvel took a bunch of B-D listers and made them successful in their own right, and then brought them together for a crossover the likes of which we really haven't seen before. DC led with its three strongest properties and....

Well, I'm sure you know the results.

We're talking about different circumstances, different companies, different models, different buildups, and different writers. Why should we assume the same outcome when provided not only with a poor track record, but also when so many factors are different?
I never stated it would automatically be good. You, on the other hand, acted like them using an unknown by the general public character was by itself bad. Enough people saw and liked the BvS film for them to continue. It's only technically a failure for people who think it should gotten more money. You didn't like it? Fine, you're entitled to your opinion but it is your opinion.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
AccursedTheory said:
andrewHayes said:

The problem is that the current DC movie line up look like the beginning of the Justice Lords. It may be hard to distinguish them from an alternate 'evil' Justice League.

The only character who even remotely fit that description was Batman and a) the movie didn't treat it as a good thing and b) he was a changed man at the end.

If you think these guys are anything like the Justice Lords try reading Injustice or Garth Ennis' The Boys. DCEU Superman doesn't even come close to being as bad as that.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't think it would work to start off with Darkseid as the big-bad of Justice League...unless they plan on doing a plot wherein the league ONLY JUST beats him (or sends him away) which I'm pretty sure is what happened in the New 52 Justice League's first arc. Then two or three Justice League movies from now, after more adventures, characterization and, training, they can have their rematch and pay off the tension that began building X films ago.

andrewHayes said:

I still haven't seen Batman V Superman but after watching Man of Steel and all of the hear-say about BvS, it would absolutely not surprise me to find out that what WB is currently building towards is a Justice Lords reveal and an eventual Kingdom Come or Infinite Crisis kind of movie. It might sound insane but imagine a movie in 2025 featuring a CGI Christopher Reeve punching the fourth wall, shattering the DCFU after chewing out Affleck and Caville about being too brutal. Shards of the fourth wall fly around showing clips of Superman Returns, Batman Returns, Green Lantern, Catwoman...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Agent_Z said:
I never stated it would automatically be good. You, on the other hand, acted like them using an unknown by the general public character was by itself bad.
Okay, don't complain that you never said something (that I didn't claim you did) and then tell me that I "acted" in a way that's incongruous to what I actually said. You're putting words in my mouth. Please don't.

I said:

Note that none of this has to do solely with him being less known. It has to do with the structure of BVS and the reveal of the character as well. I did not "act like them using an unknown by the general public was by itself bad."

You then brought up Marvel by comparison.

So I answered you. Not in terms of why you were wrong to think Justice League would be good, but the question of why there would be a problem. The question you asked.

Enough people saw and liked the BvS film for them to continue.
Which is why the movie dropped off in week two. People liked it so much they were actively discouraging others from going to see it.

It's only technically a failure for people who think it should gotten more money.
Actually, it may be literally a failure, as in unable to turn an actual profit because people stopped watching after opening weekend. The response from the studio was to make less movies, which is not a good sign.

You didn't like it? Fine, you're entitled to your opinion but it is your opinion.
An opinion you asked for when you asked why it would be a problem. You don't have to like it, but I don't understand why you would play the "opinion" card in the first place here. You're right, though. I don't like it. But whether or not I liked it has nothing to do with the question at hand. I liked Green Lantern. It wasn't a 10/10 movie, but I had fun with it. That doesn't mean that it actually did well, or that its failure didn't kill the attempt at a DCEU at the time. This is something maybe you should consider. You appear to have liked the movie. Fine, but that's just your opinion, it's nowhere near the majority, and that's going to hurt future movies.

Whether or not you or I liked this has no bearing on the future of the DCEU.

AccursedTheory said:

That, and god damn, how many hero vs. hero movies do you think DC should pull? They already fuck that idea up once.
Holy crap, that's brilliant. That's their way out. Batman and Superman are the evil alternate versions, and now we build up the actual good guys!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Steppenwolf? Really?

Suddenly it all makes sense. DC's attempt at a shared universe is being run by Peter Fonda, the ghost of Dennis Hopper and a pile of cocaine the size of Mount Fuji.