Justice League - There Is No Justice Here

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009

Justice League is another disappointing entry in the DCEU series of movies.

Read Full Article

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Marter said:

Justice League is another disappointing entry in the DCEU series of movies.

Read Full Article
Since nobody really had high expectations, can it really be called disappointing?

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Since nobody really had high expectations, can it really be called disappointing?
A lot of people seemed to think that WW's decentness meant DC movies would be better now.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
How many expected this movie to be good?

Serious question, I want to know how many people are/were still positive about DC films. General consensus seems very negative, want to see if there's an opposing viewpoint.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I told everyone that the tonal shift will happen since it switched directors who are polar opposites and the re-shoots.

Now I am gonna have sit through the most cringeworthy of Joss Wheadon's quips.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Unfortunate, but not terribly surprising. About on a par with what I've heard from other reviewers (although some, like NPR's offering, at least felt there were some shining moments amidst the general mediocrity.)

The Avengers wasn't much longer (2h 23m), and still managed to find time to fit in character and plot elements without feeling rushed or over-reliant on exposition dumps (YMMV, of course). It's increasingly clear that this is one of those "Marvel only makes it look easy" kind of things. I imagine it would be fascinating to sit in a film class comparing failed DC movie scenes and comparable Marvel movie scenes.

I'm still probably going to see it, eventually... Some people in my household who are seriously jonesing for more of Godot's Wonder Womaan. But it's going to wait for a second-run theater, or a cheap matinee at best.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
After BvS I don't have any interest in this stuff whatsoever. I haven't seen the Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman, and the latter one is supposedly good. I don't plan to see those movies either. I just don't want to waste my time on any of the crap related to BvS.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"So that's it huh? We're some kind of Justice League?"

"Nah, more Just-arse League."

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Thaluikhain said:
How many expected this movie to be good?
Hurr... wundur womyn wuz gud so dis jus-tiss leege ting wil b gud.

Probably an actual comment somewhere on Twatter.

But for anyone without impaired higher brain functions, a movie in which they obviously intended to introduce two new characters to the 'verse without prequel films for said characters was obviously going to run into issues caused by the story compression WB would have to do to fit in said introductions and the actual fucking plot.

And honestly its really bizarre that they fucked it up too, because when you peek behind the scenes you see most of the people who worked on Justice League also worked on Wonder Woman.

But anyway Justice League is on its way to bombing in its opening weekend. Whether or not thats a good thing... i really do not care because they sure as fuck arent gonna stop trying to pull the rug out from under Disney/Marvel.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
I told everyone that the tonal shift will happen since it switched directors who are polar opposites and the re-shoots.

Its the same movie from Zack. The only thing different is some reshot scenes and a few quips. Having quips in something isn't a bad thing. Heck, the Justice League cartoon had a few jokes here and there. The only problem is I don't think Joss Whedon could have saved this movie from its own problems.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:

No, you don't get to say 'I told you so' with a WB/DC film with tonal issues... Methinks we've been there before. Hell, bar Wonder Woman, did we ever leave that place? The entire continuity is riven with an identity crisis. A crisis that could be considered inf--

...erm, you get the idea.

I would say Joss is a bad fit for the DC-a-verse, but so far only one director's been a half-decent fit, and that's Patty Jenkins. Maybe they should just stick to a Wonder Woman continuity.

/edit - oh, Kermode's review was amusingly dispirited/exasperated/bored:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Its the same movie from Zack. The only thing different is some reshot scenes and a few quips. Having quips in something isn't a bad thing. Heck, the Justice League cartoon had a few jokes here and there. The only problem is I don't think Joss Whedon could have saved this movie from its own problems.
Its not so much quips in of itself and more the timing of it, being a smart ass quiper in the middle of what is supposed to be a dramatic event takes away any and all tension.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
Samtemdo8 said:

No, you don't get to say 'I told you so' with a WB/DC film with tonal issues... Methinks we've been there before. Hell, bar Wonder Woman, did we ever leave that place? The entire continuity is riven with an identity crisis. A crisis that could be considered inf--

...erm, you get the idea.

I would say Joss is a bad fit for the DC-a-verse, but so far only one director's been a half-decent fit, and that's Patty Jenkins. Maybe they should just stick to a Wonder Woman continuity.

/edit - oh, Kermode's review was amusingly dispirited/exasperated/bored:

Hello to Jason Isaacs.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I don't think anyone expected this movie to be particularly good. We had all seen the tone and direction of the previous entries (except WW), so we knew how this was going to turn out even before it had been announced.

mariosonicfan5

Jun 18, 2012
I for one actually enjoyed it. I gave it a chance and have to say if the rest of the movies were in this tone, DC wouldn't be in this situation. It does have pace problems, but I didn't think it was unwatchable or unenjoyable. This is the first movie in the entire series that Superman actually feels like Superman and not Mopeman. He actually feels hopeful and kind of a dork. Hell he even pulls out the whole, "I Can Break Batman If I Damn Well Feel Like IT!" to appeal to you fanboys who get mad about the whole Batman beating him thing.

If it keeps going forward at the same tone and such as this, I think DC will be come out in the end, finish strong after a really rocky start. Also keeping the director consistent.

BTW speaking of that, Joss really didn't make too many changes. Seriously most of the Jokes and quips were already present in those earlier trailers before Joss even came on. The reshoots were not anything too drastic. Aside for some recoloring and brightening I seriously do not think that Joss changed anything.

Zach is very capable of making lighter toned films, and this certainly felt like that, it certainly didn't feel as light and crazy as Thor Ragnarok. It was what it needed to be. now they just have to keep it going.

Besides it doesn't matter, the damn movie costed like 300 million dollars, it'll have to make some serious bank to break even and that's improbable just with how huge that budget is.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
mariosonicfan5 said:
Besides it doesn't matter, the damn movie costed like 300 million dollars, it'll have to make some serious bank to break even and that's improbable just with how huge that budget is.
Yeah, it'll have to pull Avengers-numbers to break even. That seems unlikely, given DC/WB track record.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Eh, IDK, I thought it was on par with the first Avengers and better then the second, though I fully admit I'm a fanboy.